Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic bag rant Options
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:22:03 PM

Groups: Member

Just purchased 400 BCW current comic bags and boards and guess what the bags are too small for the boards. so just threw them all back in box and got return label from amazon so back they go. (I didn't pack nicely either, lol)

Normally I would just write this off as a bad experience but this is the second time this has happened in 3 months.

Tried a few other companies bags and either they were of such cheap quality or had same issues as BCW.

So when is somebody going to actually make a bag and board that fit good and has high quality control?

Also I hate when I order 100 bags and boards and only get 99 & 97, I mean seriously is it that hard to make a machine that counts to 100? If you go to bank they dont give you 97-99 $1 bills if you ask for 100, they give you a 100.

ARGHHHHH

Just venting, had to run to my local store and buy 200 crap bags till I wait for new order to come in and hope they are right size.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:29:38 PM

I used to buy from BCW but switched to TC Bulk because they were cheaper. The bags are about the same as BCW. I honestly never had a problem with them being the incorrect size with either company though.
teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:18:01 PM

I've been looking at this TC Bulk site, and I'm definitely considering buying my supplies from them. I've been meaning to get those drawers, and I think they're charging just the right amount.

I just hope shipping to Canada doesn't cost too much... or that they even ship up here.

Edit... AANNNND they don't. Does anyone know a site like this that dabbles in Canada?

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
oakman29
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:27:29 PM

There's a company called HotFlips that has a great selection of Mylar bags,and acid free full backs boards.Never use poly bags,they are made from polypropylene.An oil based product that off gasses and can ruin your comics with time.I use Mylite2 Silver age bags and boards.

HotFlips.com Applause

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:49:25 PM

oakman29 wrote:
There's a company called HotFlips that has a great selection of Mylar bags,and acid free full backs boards.Never use poly bags,they are made from polypropylene.An oil based product that off gasses and can ruin your comics with time.I use Mylite2 Silver age bags and boards.

HotFlips.com Applause

Aye, but those are also twice the cost... I always thought that the poly bags were ok to use, so long as you replace them every 5 years...

Cave Comics

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
oakman29
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:03:14 PM

teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

HotFlips.com Applause

Aye, but those are also twice the cost... I always thought that the poly bags were ok to use, so long as you replace them every 5 years...

You get what you pay for brother,and when you have comics that are worth thousands of dollars you want to protect them with the best archival product available.

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:21:05 PM

oakman29 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

HotFlips.com Applause

You get what you pay for brother,and when you have comics that are worth thousands of dollars you want to protect them with the best archival product available.

I definitely agree. But as of now, my most valuable comic is probably Amazing Spider-Man 238 or 300, and most of what I have is being sold (which people re-bag upon receiving more often than not)

Cave Comics

oakman29
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:24:38 PM

teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

HotFlips.com Applause

I definitely agree. But as of now, my most valuable comic is probably Amazing Spider-Man 238 or 300, and most of what I have is being sold (which people re-bag upon receiving more often than not)

I don't know your situation,just trying to give you and others some benefit of my 40 years of experience.

teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:44:15 PM

oakman29 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

HotFlips.com Applause

I don't know your situation,just trying to give you and others some benefit of my 40 years of experience.

Definitely appreciated.

Maybe when my situation is improved. But still, hotflip vs the bulk site... still not as good of deals.

Cave Comics

freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 12:02:05 PM

KingZombie wrote:
I used to buy from BCW but switched to TC Bulk because they were cheaper. The bags are about the same as BCW. I honestly never had a problem with them being the incorrect size with either company though.

I actually get most of mine off Amazon, with prime free shipping is cheaper. However I might try them out for the bags as BCW seriously letting me down. Just got another pack of 100 bags boards in. The bags are supposed to be 1/8 inch bigger then the boards, but they are exact same size as boards.

oakman29 wrote:

HotFlips.com Applause

That is great advice, I only use regular bags for comics I sell. For my collection I only use 4mil mylars with comic extenders.

oakman29 wrote:

This is also why I keep my collection insured :)

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 2:45:08 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Same thing just happened to be with BCW. I was about 3-4 bags short. A bit frustrating, but I usually have a few extra bagged comics without boards, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I just used the bagless boards on those.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Jim
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 12:10:38 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Same thing just happened to be with BCW. I was about 3-4 bags short. A bit frustrating, but I usually have a few extra bagged comics without boards, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I just used the bagless boards on those.

100% of the time when I order from BCW I end up with either 2 or three extra boards or a few extra bags. Not sure if these things are sorted by hand or mechanically but it's a safe bet that the number is based on weight or some kind of estimate. Definitely not exact. Makes me wonder if they are losing money with overages (or saving with shortages) in their cases?

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
comicfan17blue
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 3:02:41 PM

You could also try to order the BCW thick bags. The are slightly larger but still use the same size backing board. Available for all sizes of comics I believe.
scotracycowles
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 3:32:42 PM

I have NEVER gotten exactly 100 bags and 100 boards. Not once, regardless of brand. I'm cursed.
Grwurz
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 3:59:16 PM

I ordered 100 BCW bags and boards from Amazon. They sent me 100 BCW bags and 100 Ultra Pro boards. They fit. Barely. I was in a crunch for bags and boards since I waited until the last minute to order them.

The strange thing is, as I used them, the ones later in the stack fit just fine.Eh?

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
cazmoney
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 7:24:38 PM

My LCS stocks the Comicare bags and I kept having an issue with the current size bags being a little too large for the boards. I went up to Silver Age and for some reason the fit is better. I have been thinking of trying either Ultra Pro or BCW
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 7:47:43 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Can anyone tell me.....If price was absolutely no object.....what are the best bags and boards for comics?

And I mean bags and boards...not fancy encapsulation systems or anything like that.
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 8:02:23 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
Can anyone tell me.....If price was absolutely no object.....what are the best bags and boards for comics?

And I mean bags and boards...not fancy encapsulation systems or anything like that.

I use BCW 4mil Mylar bags and BCW Comic Extenders for all my personal comics. They cost about $75 for 100 so not on cheap end. Some weeks i spend more on the bags then comics, lol

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

MR_COLLECTOR
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:01:12 PM

oakman29 wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

HotFlips.com Applause

I completely agree. The Mylites 2's also make the books look so much nicer, even low grades. And those fullback's are the best!! Once you feel the security this combo provides, you'll be hooked.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:16:42 PM

lol i've b!tched about this in a previous post... its bugs the crap outta me. i would say the mylar bags with regular acid free boards, they are the best... i use them for silver and key books looks great too. they came highly recommend by oakman (miss that guy) and he was 100% right.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1