Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What size bags do you use, and why? Options
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:48:10 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I'm going through my latest completed collection and finding that a lot of the issues have HUGE bags.
I know some collectors only buy Silver Age or Golden Age size bags regardless of what they're collecting, but I don't understand the rationale behind putting a modern comic in a bag that's way too big.

Anybody?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Spider-Man
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:40:41 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

I buy and use only Silver Age bags and boards. One reason is when I buy an older book and put it in a new bag, I know it will fit. Another is sometimes the current size bags seem too tight and the books seem crammed into the bag. I am always replacing some of the bags and boards of my 70s and 80s books and for me it is just easier to buy and use one size. I don't think it is way too big, just a little more comfortable for my books.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

PCPaperbacks
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:19:46 PM

Groups: Member

I use silver age because two comics fit in the bag without issue!

Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"

LadyJay
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:38:30 PM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

Spider-Man wrote:
I buy and use only Silver Age bags and boards. One reason is when I buy an older book and put it in a new bag, I know it will fit. Another is sometimes the current size bags seem too tight and the books seem crammed into the bag. I am always replacing some of the bags and boards of my 70s and 80s books and for me it is just easier to buy and use one size. I don't think it is way too big, just a little more comfortable for my books.

What he said. I discovered early on that not all modern books fit into modern sized bags with boards (In fact sometimes modern sized boards don't fit in modern sized bags even without the book). On the other hand most books from the Silver age up willfit in Silver age bags with boards, and for some reason I never seem to have a problem with Silver boards not fittining in Silver bags.

frozilla
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:23:39 PM

Another vote for Silver-age b&b. I used to buy modern age ones but they're stuffed too tightly in there for me. I like the extra room modern books have in there and I occasionally get silver age books. When I'm putting the books in and taking them out, the extra room is nice.

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
oakman29
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:57:56 PM

I use Mylar with acid free boards,poly-bags off gas and can ruin your comics with time.

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

Shadowdodger
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:16:07 PM

I use current/modern bags and boards but all this SA talk has got me wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
komohah
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 12:07:16 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

LadyJay wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

What he said. I discovered early on that not all modern books fit into modern sized bags with boards (In fact sometimes modern sized boards don't fit in modern sized bags even without the book). On the other hand most books from the Silver age up willfit in Silver age bags with boards, and for some reason I never seem to have a problem with Silver boards not fittining in Silver bags.

Yep, I switched over to Silver Age bags and boards about 10 years ago for all the reasons given above and have never looked back. I've often received books in modern bags where the board is actually smaller than the book it's suppose to protect which seems to defeat the whole purpose of the board to me - I'd rather the corner of my Silver Age board got a ding than the book I'm trying to protect. Also, I like my collection to have a consistant look and even though I've used a few different brands of Silver Age bags and boards, they all seem to be uniform in size unlike modern b&b's I've recieved in orders which seem to vary in width quite a lot (which to me personally looks a bit of a mess and can cause damage when books with different sized boards are stored together - spine roll). On a similar note, Siver Age b&b's fit more snugly in comic boxes preventing side to side movement and lessen the chance of damage caused when books are stored off centre from the books around them.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 2:23:00 AM

i stick with current for currents and silver for bronze age on down.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Xylob
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 7:06:58 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

interesting....
I guess I've always been lucky with the modern sized bags & boards - I've never run across a problem with them being too small.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
wickedcomics
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 10:14:46 AM

I use Regular bags for everything, I use to just do Current for modern books and buy silver for my older collection. With the current bags, sometimes they were to small the current books or if an annual came out or something that was giant size it didn't fit in the currant bag. It got to the point it was a pain in the butt and I just stopped buying them all together. Regular bags cost the same as current bags and is cheaper than silver bags.

Regular bags are slightly smaller than silver age bags and fit silver age books as well. Well not all silver age, basically stuff from the mid 60's on. Anything below the mid 60's is usually to big for regular.

Current Specs - 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" w/ 1 1/4" flap
Regular Specs - 7 1/8" x 10 1/2" w/ 1 1/4" flap
Silver Specs - 7 1/4" x 10 1/2" w/ 1 1/4" flap

bovard
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 12:04:43 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

komohah wrote:
LadyJay wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

Yep, I switched over to Silver Age bags and boards about 10 years ago for all the reasons given above and have never looked back. I've often received books in modern bags where the board is actually smaller than the book it's suppose to protect which seems to defeat the whole purpose of the board to me - I'd rather the corner of my Silver Age board got a ding than the book I'm trying to protect. Also, I like my collection to have a consistant look and even though I've used a few different brands of Silver Age bags and boards, they all seem to be uniform in size unlike modern b&b's I've recieved in orders which seem to vary in width quite a lot (which to me personally looks a bit of a mess and can cause damage when books with different sized boards are stored together - spine roll). On a similar note, Siver Age b&b's fit more snugly in comic boxes preventing side to side movement and lessen the chance of damage caused when books are stored off centre from the books around them.

I too, have gone to using all Silver Age b/b's for everything, even my current books. Obviously, for Golden Age or older Dells/GoldKey/Whitman, those are the Golden Age size.

The quality control is an issue, as you can start having 1/4" difference in width from the same brand for the same size. Also, depending on the brand, their width's may vary for Modern/Silver/Golden, it's not necessarily standard.

Dreadnok01
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 6:01:38 PM

bovard wrote:
komohah wrote:
LadyJay wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

I too, have gone to using all Silver Age b/b's for everything, even my current books. Obviously, for Golden Age or older Dells/GoldKey/Whitman, those are the Golden Age size.

The quality control is an issue, as you can start having 1/4" difference in width from the same brand for the same size. Also, depending on the brand, their width's may vary for Modern/Silver/Golden, it's not necessarily standard.

Add one more for silver age. I like to have uniformity in my boxes along with all of the other reasons stated.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 7:42:16 PM

oakman29 wrote:
I use Mylar with acid free boards,poly-bags off gas and can ruin your comics with time.

do you order them online? my lcs doesn't carry them

oakman29
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 7:57:01 PM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

I order them from Hotflips.com Applause

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 11:50:34 PM

I use Silver Age bags with Silver Age boards.

Current size always seemed to leave a large portion of the bag unfilled, and the book unprotected. I now use Silver-Age for everything (aside from Golden Age, of course)

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:21:30 PM

oakman29 wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
oakman29 wrote:

I order them from Hotflips.com Applause
cool, thanks

scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:06:06 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Dreadnok01 wrote:
bovard wrote:
komohah wrote:

Add one more for silver age. I like to have uniformity in my boxes along with all of the other reasons stated.

Same here. While I don't have any Silver Age books, they do fit in the boxes better than modern age bags & boards. I've had issues with modern age sized ones where 48 page issue just don't fit well. With Silver Age sized ones, they all fit.

wpmcclure
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 3:44:33 PM

My entire collection is stored in mylites 2 with a mix of E.Gerber half backs and full backs. I have archival paper in my older stuff along with more expensive variants. I get all my stuff from Comic Supply and regardless of what you may have heard about Russell over there, I have never been screwed over on anything. I've had many chats over the phone of the issues that come along with ordering and maintaining stock on E.Gerber Mylar and true Archival Paper. Dude goes through a lot to create a finished product and hardly makes much off of it.

BTW, he cuts all of his archival paper to fit modern books from large rolls he orders. I believe there are only 3 qualified cutters out there that can handle this type of paper. If you ever want to hear the process of doing that then give him a call because he would be glad to explain the pains it takes to create a finished product.

dunleavy75
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:55:21 PM

Spider-Man wrote:

This for me too! Anxious

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse