Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Impact of Hurricane Sandy / Frankenstorm on NJ / NY Options
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:09:41 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

For anyone expecting packages from sellers in NJ / NY, you'll be waiting a bit longer.

The devastation is just mind boggling. I'm one of the lucky few to still have power. Most of my town is without power.

2.4 million homes without power in New Jersey ALONE. Much of lower Manhattan (New York City) is without power because the power company turned it off before their equipment could blow up any more than it did. The tidal surge was record highs - by 6 or more feet OVER previous highs in many places. NYC subways and NJ PATH trains (all underground) have water in the tunnels. NJ shore areas had waves in the 20+ foot range - 6 to 8 foot waves are usually the highest.

NJ Shore areas - especially the barrier islands - are just devastated. Atlantic City lost part of it's boardwalk and is under water.

This was a view going over one of the main bridges to the one barrier island my family has vacationed on for 4 generations. It's a view of a town called Mantoloking.

This is the current view over that same bridge but a little closer to the actual island.

[Updated with additional photo of that area]

While many of these homes are summer homes, there are quite a few year round residents in that area and a bunch of Bed & Breakfast type places. Other barrier islands have suffered the same fate - houses just destroyed, people's livelihoods gone. I haven't heard anything yet regarding loss of life, but these islands had mandatory evacuation orders well before the storm hit so hopefully people paid attention.

Please keep those who are without homes, power, or water AND those who are out trying to rescue people, restore power, and get things back to normal in your thoughts and prayers.

dunleavy75
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:22:05 PM

Groups: Member

Just terrible.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Dementia5
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:34:22 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

Thank you for this update, Scott. I was tracking this and although were out of the storm path, we did lose power along with half a million other folks in the commonwealth. Haven't heard anything regarding casualties, but damages are estimated between $30 and $50 billion.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

RBC_Distribution
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:26:19 PM

hang in there brother, we will be praying for you and your city, for a safe and quick recovery, if you need anything let us know and we will do what we can...Don@RBCDistribution

My Why

scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:41:04 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

I'm pretty sure that ComicsCastle is out of power. He was very close to the center of the path of the storm. I haven't had any luck getting a hold of him. This is why Pat should have a cell phone!

My guess is Atilla2k might also be out of power. Not sure where in NY he is, but they've got some big outages as well.

Long Island and Connecticut got hammered as well.

chainsawsr
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:00:20 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

My prayers to all families within the path of these beasts. Orders can wait. Human needs first...May God be with you and his blessings come through out of this mess.

Cheers!

Where is my Fables? I need a reality check!
HeroComics
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:42:55 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

chainsawsr wrote:
My prayers to all families within the path of these beasts. Orders can wait. Human needs first...May God be with you and his blessings come through out of this mess.

My sister-in-law just made it back from New Hampshire... she says it's horrible, and people continue to stay. Let us all hope for a safe week.
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:28:10 PM

Here's some more pictures of the devastation on the NJ Shore from the Governor's office.

There are two of them that I can pinpoint the locations - 4th one down left column is a town called Normandy Beach (the church is the big building on the bottom left). The large brown smokey spot and the empty spot next to it used to have approx. 90 homes from what I've heard.

The image below that one (5th one left column) is of one of the boardwalks in Seaside Heights/Seaside Park. That pier with rides is only partially lost. There was another pier about 1/4 mile north of this one that is just gone.

I grew up going to this area for vacation every year - pretty much every single landmark place on this barrier island is destroyed. The NJ Shore is a HUGE part of NJ's financial well-being as it is a major vacation destination. The impact on so many people's lives - whether it's their house, their livelihood, their vacation spot - is just unbelievable. Haven't heard much yet regarding how many lives were lost - I'm hoping people were smart enough to heed the Governor's call to evacuate.

yourplace2
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:53:02 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Not as bad as NJ/NY, but CT took some major damage as well, with over 500,000 homes without power. My home has been out since Monday afternoon. They are saying end of week or more before back up. I'M ON MY PUTERE AT WORK FOR THIS.

Orders will be shipped ASAP! Thank youall of you who sent support and purchased comics during our FRANKENSTORM SALE. Will extend it through week.

Whistle

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:10:13 AM

scotteaves wrote:
Here's some more pictures of the devastation on the NJ Shore from the Governor's office.

There are two of them that I can pinpoint the locations - 4th one down left column is a town called Normandy Beach (the church is the big building on the bottom left). The large brown smokey spot and the empty spot next to it used to have approx. 90 homes from what I've heard.

Here's a Google Maps view of what was there - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.007508%2C-74.058474&num=1&t=h&z=18

jabbascomichut973
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:59:57 AM

I'm in NJ too its just terrible. I have power but my girlfriend doesn't not and is staying with me. What happend down the shore is beyond terrible and I'm very sad about it.

I hope Pat is ok..

Highly recommend shopping at these CCL stores

ADC'Collection AlphaComics Comics Castle TREEHOUSE Read The Story (Play the Game) HeroLand Comics
b0bafett
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:42:03 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

Man this looks as bad as some of the storms that have hit here in florida
scotteaves
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 7:47:00 PM

jabbascomichut973 wrote:
I'm in NJ too its just terrible. I have power but my girlfriend doesn't not and is staying with me. What happend down the shore is beyond terrible and I'm very sad about it.

I hope Pat is ok..

Just heard from him. He's finally got power again and he (and his family) are a-ok. House is fine too. (Pat being ComicsCastle for those who don't know.)

comicscastle
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 10:53:42 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

scotteaves wrote:
jabbascomichut973 wrote:

I hope Pat is ok..

Just heard from him. He's finally got power again and he (and his family) are a-ok. House is fine too. (Pat being ComicsCastle for those who don't know.)
Thanks all for your concern. I'm fine and my house and store stock are fine. My mother's house on the bay in Manasquan took a double hit with flooding and a tree going through the roof and back of the house. The tree came to rest on most of my Marvel collection that was in storage there. Included were complete runs of X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Hulk, Dr Strange, SubMariner and more. I really couldn't get too close because the floor wasn't too sturdy, but between the weight of the oak and the water damage it looks like a complete loss. Too bad, but at least it was only things and not people. My mom is 85 and in poor health. Luckily she was at my sisters and is fine.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

RBC_Distribution
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:43:44 AM

comicscastle wrote:
scotteaves wrote:
jabbascomichut973 wrote:

I hope Pat is ok..

Thanks all for your concern. I'm fine and my house and store stock are fine. My mother's house on the bay in Manasquan took a double hit with flooding and a tree going through the roof and back of the house. The tree came to rest on most of my Marvel collection that was in storage there. Included were complete runs of X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Hulk, Dr Strange, SubMariner and more. I really couldn't get too close because the floor wasn't too sturdy, but between the weight of the oak and the water damage it looks like a complete loss. Too bad, but at least it was only things and not people. My mom is 85 and in poor health. Luckily she was at my sisters and is fine.

happy to hear you and your family are well Pat...Don

My Why

dunleavy75
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:08:46 AM

Glad to hear everyone is ok, pat!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse