Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Is there a variant bubble and will that bubble burst? Options
AgentNasty411
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:30:55 PM
Groups: Member

To the younger ones, don't make the mistake I made. Don't go to the shop every week. Bunya key silver age book every x months when you can afford it.
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 8:35:59 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I personally think that's horrible advice.

If you like to read comics, then read comics. If you've in this for an investment, there are a TON of things better suited for investing money than comics, even "Silver Age keys."

I collect Silver Age books as much as the next guy. I like to pick up Silver keys when I find them, if they're in my price range; but I also enjoy reading new issues every week. I like to see where the characters are going, what new artists debut. I like to discuss with my shop owner the directions that the books are taking, and jointly-complaining about how stupid the brass at Marvel and DC are for this New 52 and Marvel NOW bullpucky.

In my opinion, and everybody has their own opinion, comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. They're not meant to be sealed away in a dark, climate-controlled hideaway, and they're certainly not meant to be entombed in plastic, forever segregated from the world just on the other side of their plastic prison. If you're just buying some high-end "valuable" book every 3-4 months, and hiding it away from the world, well, you're doing something wrong.

AgentNasty411
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:54:13 PM

If you read it use marvel online, or you can waste space on overpriced paper.
AgentNasty411
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:57:35 PM

My advice will be praised in 15 years.
dagma333
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 7:44:35 AM

Great question and thread starter.

Its difficult for me to answer. I am the collector, for collecting sake-type. I don't worry about auction prices and which comic will be worth more $-wise etc... To a point. When I retire I will probably sell half my collection for fun money, and pass half on to an heir (probably my daughter). So $/auction value-wise, I cannot really opine about variant-bubbles.

As a reader/collector, I am definitely weary of it. No doubt the publishers are making these variants primarily to suck in extra $$ off of their most loyal readers. Or, perhaps unseasoned $-collector types who think every variant Dejah Thoris is gonna put their children through Harvard. And, well it annoys me. Reward your most loyal readers with Great Comics, don't torture and squeeze and bleed them to death with variants.

I have, recently, dropped many of my regular reads to just-one cover. And some, the variants have annoyed me to the point where I have dropped them altogether.

But, in some ways I am being hypocritical. For titles which I collect (seriously, actively collect) I will get every possible variant. Lady Death for example, I have been her slave since the early 90s. And she demands and takes every penny I have, and I can't stop myself. But, lol, with the exception of Lady D, I have pretty much had it with variants.
dagma333
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 7:59:44 AM

Tamwood wrote:

The big companies have been doing crossovers for years, but they usually reserved company-wide crossovers and events for their annuals.

Ahh, I miss those. MAny of my comic friends didn't care for the annuals--not regular artist, or writer, off-continuity etc... But I loved the big Annual-Crossover arcs. It was nice, because the whole crossover story was finnished up witht the release of the annuals, and didn't drag on for 12 months across 30 different titles (ala nowadays).

Plus the annuals were thick, felt like I was getting more, lol, holding a thick annual.
wpmcclure
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:05:04 AM

I just sold my Justice League #12 1:100 for $135, originally bought 2 for $50, god bless variants! Hahaha....now I can buy more comics...hmm...variants might even save the market.