Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Confessions of a comicaholic Options
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:21:57 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I was planning on placing an order with Ladyjaye's PackRats Barn when the SuperHero Showdown was over as a thank you for all her hard and, mostly, thankless work....Then I saw she was planning on closing her CCL store soon, so I jumped the gun and placed that order early, and it is already here:

I got some eccentric goodies off my retirement collection list:

A couple of mid 70's Gems:

Plus I finished off the first Falcon mini and added books to my Defenders and Amazing Spider Man Vol.1 runs and, believe it or not, a Saga of Crystar comic.

Pack Rat's Barn review:

1) Slightly higher priced than most CCL stores.
2) Extremely fast and secure shipping
3) Amazing communication and follow up (This is a big deal to me and Pack rat's nails it).
4) Super Tight grading. (every comic was either exactly what she graded it or better.)

Pack Rat's Barn, after one purchase, skips right over the "good experience but small sample size" list and hits my "preferred seller list immediately.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:22:49 AM

FYI....for those who might dig my comic reviews, I am going to add a few today.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:44:01 AM

Couple other small notes:

I'm getting my butt kicked in SUPERHERO SHOWDOWN after a great start. I've lost Jack Hawksmoor, Moondragon and Enchantress quickly. This now feels like most of the other contests I have entered. LMFAO! I always get whipped in these things. I guess I need to pay attention to more new comics instead of slavishly sticking to my chronological reading. lol.

It's still a blast though. in fact, it's been the most fun and drama free contest yet!........and, I still managed to add Thor to my list of charactters I eliminated (Klaw, tempest, Swamp Thing, Prof. X, Thor). So, I'm satisfied. Again, thank you to everyone participating!!

Also, I DVR'd Superman

I plan on watching it with my son this week and give him some old school superhero culture. let him know how spoiled he is with Superhero movies today...but we old timers still had some good stuff back then too.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:44:50 PM

I just bought 1,700 silver age comic bags. I actually had to go to two different stores.

The guy at the first LCS kinda looked at me like I was crazy and said "I don't keep more than 5 packages in my store at a time."

I am doing a large scale bagging project and needed the volume.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:25:24 PM

I have, unfortunately, been eliminated from the SUPERHERO SHOWDOWN since my last posts.

I really encourage anyone who reads these to get involved in one of those. The more participation there is the more fun they are for sure.

Also, wanted to note, that right now, at the end of 1986 I seem to have run into a glut of independent books; earthlore, Eternity Smith, Maus, Realm, Ninja and Myth Adventures to name a few.

The highlights are Myth Adventures and Maus (I wrote a review of a Maus book in the "news and reviews" section you should check out.)

What I have learned, really, is that Indies are not much different than Marvel and DC (except in terms of art, where the big two are significantly better usually.). There are some great books. Some horrible books and a lot of stuff in between.

Check out Maus though. It's incredible. Myth Adventures is an awful lot of fun too.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:25:34 PM

Finally finished my temporary space for my retirement collection.

It's now safely and securely tucked away in a nice space in my downstairs office.

I am not huge on display since I don't have a lot of people at the house who actually care what my comic collection looks like. In fact most of my friends and family don't even collect comic books and comic book merch. (what's wrong with them?)

Anyways, I kind of feel silly taking up large space in our home for something that, essentially, I am the only one that enjoys it, so I have a nice secure spot. It is large enough though that I have easy and organized access to the entire collection so that when I add to it, the job is an easy one, so I am happy.

In the spring I will be upgrading the spot a little bit with some more environmentally resistant materials for the long term good of the collection (it's called my retirement collection for a reason afterall).
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 9:57:23 AM

My wife has never bought me comics for Christmas or birthdays or anything because she has always felt "intimidated". She had no idea what I would want and what would be a good gift.

But, she declared recently that she wanted to finally get me some this Christmas.

I have made up a list, with pictures, of stuff on my wishlist that I think would make good gifts....and that she could find without any great difficulty.

JEFFS BIG COMIC STUFF

Buckaroo Banzai #1 CGC slabbed 9.8

Crisis on Infinite earths Crossover Index

DC Direct Contemporary Teen Titans Series 1 Deathstroke Action Figure MOC

DC Universe Classics Wave 6 Hawkman (MOC)

Elfquest (Warp Graphics) #1

Hawkman (’64) #1

Heroes World Catalog (1979)

Mage the Hero Discovered #3

Megaton #3

My Favorite Martian #1

New Teen titans the Judas Contract Trade Paperback (1st print)

Savage Sword of Conan #119

Spider Man the Animated Series Season 5 DVD

Starrior Mini Comic #1

Star Wars No. 2 Comic Pack Darth Vader and rebel Officer figures dark Horse Star Wars #1 comic

Superman #324

Tomb of Dracula #11

King Sized X-Men #1

Wonder Woman #327

X-men Beauty and the Beast premiere Edition Hardcover

JEFF’S SMALL CHEAP STOCKING STUFFER COMIC STUFF

2011 Marvel Beginings #29 Destiny Trading Card

Elektra Saga #4

Heroclix Vision and Scarlet Witch Chaos War with card

Marvel Tales #179

Marvel Universe 1991 Series 2 trading card #152 Avengers West Coast

Next Man #2 promo Poster

Sun Devils #2

U.S. 1 #11

X-men evolution Digest Vol. 1

That's the list, without images.

Alphacomics (my preferred CCL seller) has also agreed to help consult with Kelly and help her get me some good stuff!!

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:00:06 AM

I do think I am going to get this baby from my mother-in-law...also, probably, from Alphacomics.

It's been on my list for a while, so my fingers are crossed.

And, yes, I know it's early for Christmas, but we buy Christmas gifts all year, so we can hit thew best deals and soften the expense of Christmas shopping.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:06:35 PM

I have tried to get through this movie on two previous attempts:

I failed both times. It was soooooo bad I couldn't even sit through it.

I noticed it was on IFC recently and DVR'd it.

I forced myself to sit and watch the entire thing in one sitting on Saturday when everyone was out of the house for a couple hours.

Man, was it bad. Just really bad. The action was beyond stupid and intelligence insulting. The acting was absolutely laughable. The story was just...well....wtf? Just horrible.

But, at least I can say I watched it now.

Oh, and the scene where Punisher blows up the guy leaping from building to building with a rocket launcher. And the scene where Punisher punches THROUGH a guys face. And the scene where Punisher blows the guys head off with a shotgun as the cop is reading him his rights.....maybe the three worst scenes in movie history.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 10:13:49 AM

Just read my first two NEW UNIVERSE comics this past weekend.

Star Brand #1 and Spitfire and the Troubleshooters #1

I realize that, nowadays, reboots and new universes are commplace. Not to mention there are about 1,000 different comic super hero universes.

But, back in 1986, when Marvel did this, it was a pretty big deal.

Early returns are.....meh.

I am doing a spitfire review later today, so please check it out for more detail....but Starbrand was decent. Kind of a re-telling of the origin of Green Lantern, really.

But, Spitfire was pretty bad. A boring read, although it had Herb Trimpe art. And, as bad as Trimpe got in the 90's trying to ape more successfull artists, his work in the 80's is pretty good.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:04:04 AM

Haven't checked in for a while. Not gonna try to catch up on everything, so just gonna kinda pick up where I left off.

I am currently deep on the search for this:

It is easy to find. However, I want to get it slabbed in 9.6 or 9.8 condition by CGC. I am having a devil of a time finding one at that high a grade.

In fact, I checked the cgc Census and 9.0 is the highest graded one, so i need to find a raw and submit it.

I can't move on and buy anything else until I realize this goal....so if anyone has a line on a real nice copy of this baby, let me know. If I think it'll fetch a 9.6 I'll pay good money!

Thank god I still have my chronological stacks, so i am never without comics. In fact, I just recently finally crossed into 1987 in my reading, so I still have a looootttttt of catching up to do.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:53:43 PM

FYI---Late 1986 and early 1987 seems to be a dead period. I am reading very little of what I would call good.

Marvel's Mutant Massacre is pretty good. At the very least it does what few events do...it actually has lasting effects. The morlocks are gone. Angel is no more. X-factor is outed. The X-Men split up and go on the run.

Watchmen is excellent. This is my third time reading through this and I am still on the edge of my seat. If you have never read this in its entirety, do yourself a favor.

the 'Nam. Just really good stuff. Very effective, emotional, tense, well written stuff. And the Michael Golden art is gorgeous.

Other than those three gems, most of the rest is pretty danged bad. Here are some of the lowlights (worst stories of the period):

Ninja Bots Super Special #1 Maybe the worst independent book of the year...and that's saying a lot.

Legends in it's entirety.

The entire NEW Universe. Man, I used to love Jim Shooter, but the more I read.....

Lords of the Ultrarealm indecipherable drivel.

[
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:24:01 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

That Mutant Massacre how-to-read legend is pretty nifty. It seems to have left out Daredevil #238, though...
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:02:04 PM

Thundercron wrote:
That Mutant Massacre how-to-read legend is pretty nifty. It seems to have left out Daredevil #238, though...

Lol. As did I. Oh well....one more thing to add to the wishlist.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:39:15 AM

Still on the hunt for That Armor CGC book, but have been catching up on my chronological reading in the meantime. Averaging about 3 comics a day recently.

I had reported earlier that early '87 was a bad period....then BOOM! Avengers Siege storyline, Amazing SpiderMan Gang War Storyline and this sweet Baby!

Conan the Barbarian #191

This is the best single issue I have read in a long time. I have a lot of Conan interspersed throughout my chronological stacks and it's always good, but this is a standout!

Go buy it.

I'll try to squeeze in a review of this soon....but BUY IT!
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:05:13 PM

Groups: Member

I didn't like watchmen I've read it three times trying to get into it but I just can't.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:19:45 PM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
I didn't like watchmen I've read it three times trying to get into it but I just can't.

Yeah. I've heard this from some people the last few years, since the movie came out. I think watchmen is a victim of it's own success. At the time it was amazing and groundbreaking and unpredictable and suspenseful and shocking and edgy.

But....it's been copied soooooo many times that if you are reading it for the first time at some point in the last decade, it is bound to seem derivative and humdrum.

Also, the pace of it is somewhat slow. If you prefer your entertainment more fast paced and action packed Watchmen could possibly seem kinda tedious, I would think.

I, personally, love Watchmen. I would put it easily on any Top 50 list. However, even I have to admit that the ending is a bit of a head scratcher.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:26:41 PM

I want to comment on the CGC forums.

I, occasionally, spend some time on those forums...usually when I am looking for a particular hard to find item or piece of information.

The traffic on that site is huge. I mean, it blows just about every comic site I spend time on all put together right out of the water.

There are also some very knowledgeable and helpful people there also.

However, what I have found is that (and this is a general statement. By no means is everyone there like this) people aint as friendly and accepting there as they are here and elsewhere.

It is always funny to me. "Comic nerds", you would think would be very accepting of others just absed on the fact that our own interest that bands us together (comics) is such a shared thing.
However, i have found that forum to be cliqeuish and rude.

I also just bought an item from a seller on that forum. The item was an extremely scarce thing, and I am happy to have finally found it. However, the seller was extremely difficult to deal with. More on that later.

I guess I'm just wondering....this place is way more welcoming and hospitable than the CGC forums. What the heck do we need to do to get that type of traffic?

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:58:56 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Yeah. I've heard this from some people the last few years, since the movie came out. I think watchmen is a victim of it's own success. At the time it was amazing and groundbreaking and unpredictable and suspenseful and shocking and edgy.

But....it's been copied soooooo many times that if you are reading it for the first time at some point in the last decade, it is bound to seem derivative and humdrum.

Also, the pace of it is somewhat slow. If you prefer your entertainment more fast paced and action packed Watchmen could possibly seem kinda tedious, I would think.

I, personally, love Watchmen. I would put it easily on any Top 50 list. However, even I have to admit that the ending is a bit of a head scratcher.

Watchmen is more of a cerebral book. Not much action. That's why Zach Snyder went over-the-top with the bloody violence with the movie, because there just aren't very many action scenes in the thing.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:30:08 AM

My daughter just had her FOURTH surgery. (minor, but still).

I have been doing a lot of nursemaiding this week. With that nursemaiding came some comic buying and reading.

Here's some merch I got from an ebay seller.

Toyfare exclusive Firestar and Shadowcat!

The ebay seller was carpethead. He shipped super fast and super secure. I won't reccomend a seller based on only one transaction, but he lands on my "will do business with again list", which you can view on page two of this thread.