Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Best Bronze Age Character Options
Coyote12
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:02:02 PM

Groups: Member

I have been focusing on collecting Bronze Age comics as of late and wanted to peoples opinion on the best Bronze Age heroes. I have been picking up a lot of Luke Cage and books like Marvel Premiere and Marvel Spotlight. and was thinking who are the top ten bronze age heroes and books.

Here is my list.

1. Wolverine. Incredible Hulk 181. Hard to deny that he is the king of the Bronze age.
2. Ghost Rider. Marvel Premiere 5 I think I have to give the edge to Ghost Rider over number 3
3. The Punisher. Spider-Man 129. No denying he is one of the biggest characters to come out in the Bronze Age.
4. Luke Cage. Hero for Hire 1.
5. Iron Fist. Marvel Premiere 15
6. Doc Samson. Hulk 141
7. Ms. Marvel. Ms Marvel 1
8. Shang Chi. Special Marvel Edition 15
9. Moon Knight. Werewolf by Night 32
10. Werewolf by Night. Marvel Spotlight 2

Honorable mentions. Son of Satan, ROM(though pushing Copper Age), Man Thing, Howard the Duck, Night Nurse.
oakman29
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:06:59 PM

What about Blade-Tomb of Dracula #10
Three movies.Cool

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

oakman29
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:09:06 PM

Maybe Swamp Thing-House of Secrets #92Hypnotized

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

Coyote12
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:09:18 PM

oakman29 wrote:
What about Blade-Tomb of Dracula #10
Three movies.Cool

Ohh I know I will have missed a few which is why this forum will help me figure out what to add to the wish list.
oakman29
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:14:13 PM

Conan the Barbarian #1

oakman29
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:16:32 PM

Do you just like Marvel,or do you collect DC too?

frozilla
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:18:04 PM

Although my first choice has been mentioned (Swamp Thing!Big Hug )
I'll throw in some indys like Cerebus and all the Ninja Turtles Winking

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
oakman29
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:20:24 PM

frozilla wrote:
Although my first choice has been mentioned (Swamp Thing!Big Hug )
I'll throw in some indys like Cerebus and all the Ninja Turtles Winking

Cerebus is a great choice,but isn't the Turtles a Copper age book?

Coyote12
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:52:01 PM

Yeah I collected some DC during the Copper age. But they only have a few characters I liked or care about. Animal Man, The Question, The Shadow, John Constantine and post Legends Justice League.

The Swamp Thing is a good character from the Bronze age and so is Cerebus. Turtles is most definitely Copper Age. Funny to think about it Marvel had such a robust Bronze Age and DC not so much. I will say the best out of DC's Bronze age should be Manhunter. DC had a better Silver and Copper Age than Bronze.

frozilla
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:05:29 AM

It's really on the line actually with TMNT. The first TMNT was May'84 I think? I've read where Bronze ends in 84 and also in 85 - people argue that Copper was started withe Batman:DKR and Watchmen, which were even up in '86. Regardless, it's hardly 'most definitely Copper age' but I can see either side of it.

I could even see that the start of the Copper age could be marked by TMNT #1, it was that big of a book.

Interesting thing tho, what's after copper, modern? and copper is what, 1984-1992? so modern is 92-current?

Also, in the '70s (which most people think of when they think Bronze age), DC had the infamous 'implosion'..Shade the Changing Man, anyone? Think

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
Coyote12
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:02:28 PM

frozilla wrote:
It's really on the line actually with TMNT. The first TMNT was May'84 I think? I've read where Bronze ends in 84 and also in 85 - people argue that Copper was started withe Batman:DKR and Watchmen, which were even up in '86. Regardless, it's hardly 'most definitely Copper age' but I can see either side of it.

I could even see that the start of the Copper age could be marked by TMNT #1, it was that big of a book.

Interesting thing tho, what's after copper, modern? and copper is what, 1984-1992? so modern is 92-current?

Also, in the '70s (which most people think of when they think Bronze age), DC had the infamous 'implosion'..Shade the Changing Man, anyone? Think

I would agree that you can consider 1984/TMNT as the start of the Copper age. In that same year Marvel put out Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars. And that for me was the big jumping on point for Marvel and it's characters. DC had it's Crisis and was rebooting it's characters with Man of Steel, Dark Knight Returns and Year One.

I remember it well when it was happening. There was an influx of Independents at the same time as Marvel and DC's runs. And it seemed like all my friends took sides of weather Marvel or DC had better heroes. Dark Horse came out with Boris the Bear, Black Cross and the American. Turtles was the hot book to have and the oversized issues made it that much cooler. Comico had Primer and introduced Grendel to the world along with the Elementals.

The mid 80's was a great age for comics. Too bad it turned into the 90's. Technically the the 90's will eventually be called the Tin age or some other metal. The Copper Age was always called Modern at the time vs Gold and Silver and what was starting to be called Bronze. The Chrome age would be a nice lable to go with all the Chromium covers done in the 90's. It was a very flashy decade in comics ful of lots of gimmicks to try and make issues special.
ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:28:51 AM

My number one would go to Conan.Culturally Conan far exceeds Wolverine.

A couple names not mentioned
John Stewart and Guy Gardner.

icarus201
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:30:46 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

ukblueky wrote:
My number one would go to Conan.Culturally Conan far exceeds Wolverine.

Agreed.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Coyote12
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:24:56 PM

Guy Gardner came out in 1968 so he essentially is Silver Age. But John Stewart is Bronze Age.

Yeah Conan is a good Bronze age comic book but I have a hard time seeing him as an official Bronze Age character having previously existed in print. But it's not like there are rules.

Shogun684
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:36:40 PM

Ms. Marvel. Ms Marvel 1 with Punisher a close second.
dunleavy75
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:27:29 PM

Conan

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
hedgeknight
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:21:36 PM

Conan the Barbarian - Roy Thomas (writer) and Barry Windsor-Smith (artist) - doesn't get much better than that!

Winter is coming...