Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Where do unsold Newstand Editions go? Options
Spider-Man
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 2:58:43 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

outcast, you seem to have a lot of information about newsstand editions. I think you should put all that research together in an article here on CCL instead of having to refer to bits in various threads.

If you select the News & Reviews link at the top of the page and then select Write a News Article on the right side, you can put all that info in one place.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 3:01:45 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I forgot, I'd already gone through the back end of the Marvel Age comics and identified the Newsstand Editions I'd found with prices ending in 7.

I'm assuming that's one since it doesn't say direct and it's got the BIG C eatting the two little c's..

Quote:
CCL shows you how many have been sold and you will never, ever, know how many (if any) Mile High has sold at their grossly inflated price.
That's the facts.

Actually, CCL doesn't tell you how many newsstands have sold unless they're fortunate enough to have another identifier along for the ride resulting in a seperate listing. I shipped out 8 or 9 newsstands ordered as newsstands intentionaly today. Ooh

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

outcast
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 3:45:08 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

monidaw1 wrote:
I forgot, I'd already gone through the back end of the Marvel Age comics and identified the Newsstand Editions I'd found with prices ending in 7.

(image omitted)

I'm assuming that's one since it doesn't say direct and it's got the BIG C eatting the two little c's..
Correct on both counts. Also, look at the barcode. See the "06" in the rightmost block of numbers? A two-digit number (rather than a five-digit number) in that position usually indicates a newsstand copy (but, of course, there are exceptions, something that Denver hasn't figured out yet).
outcast
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 5:47:08 PM

Thundercron wrote:
And Monidaw--I have some of those on your list. Including those Marvels issues. I only remember because it boggled my mind when I found them over a year ago--really, they tried to sell a comic with a $5.95 cover price at the newsstand? Can't be too many of those around...

I must have blown past this paragraph earlier today. Marvels--the Busiek-Ross Marvels--in newsstand versions? I'm amazed. I wouldn't have guessed it.

I've just pulled out my copies, and they're direct editions, of course. And there is no color-coded mark on the top page edges to tell newsstand stockers when to pull the issue from display; that suggests direct-only. BUT, my Marvels #0 DOES have a color code on the top page edges. My copy is direct, but the color code strongly suggests that a newsstand version exists.

And, Mile High documents second printings for each of the four non-zero issues. And GCD documents variant covers for three of the four (though it's difficult to see what distinguishes the variants). It makes me wonder if the second printings are the ones produced in newsstand AND direct-sales editions.

Thundercron, I'd love to see more details about your newsstand copies. Do they appear to be second printings? Do they have acetate outer covers? Are the dates consistent with the direct-sales first prints? etc., etc., ad infinitum.
monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 5:52:31 PM

Shop at My Store

Thanks again.

I just finished sorting sorting 4 long boxes to upload. I noticed a few more newsstands scattered about as I went through including an Uncanny X-men/Detective Comics and Justice League Quarterly. I usually don't get to sort because I get distracted/excited too easy like just now when I found that Ironman 17 with no cover. Ellen usually does all the sorting, filing and a lot of the order pulling after and before work but she was so happy with her set of glass Christmas dishes we found at the flea market for $2 Sunday checking for comics that she made us oatmeal then tried to juggle two big wide Christmassy bowls of oatmeal and a matchng Christmas mug of coffee down the stairway to surprise me while wearing some high heel boots and fell hurting herself and breaking one of the bowls on the concrete floor here in the Bamf Cave so now I'm tying to hold her back and handle everything myself to let her rest up slowing down the uploading and search for more newssies but hopefully everything will smooth out by the end of the weekend. Now to see where I left that super glue to keep her still and resting.

Quote:
And Monidaw--I have some of those on your list.

I missed it also. I'll let them know you got some of what they want.

New question
I'm packing an order just now and the book we pulled to ship Star Trek (1989) #47 it turns out was a newsstand and upon close inspection not the grade listed so obviously I slipped it to the side and fetched a direct edition that was the grade listed, adjusted the grade, price and added the Newstand edition disclaimer (same method I expect to turn up additional nesstands regularly hopefully without grading issues involved)).
I check at the really high comic store for reference and they don't list 47 newsstand but they do list 46 newsstand. Do you think they just haven't found a 47 yet, haven't had a request for a 47 yet or that there's something undesirable about 47 so they will not list it?

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 7:04:19 PM

Shop at My Store

Marvels #3 Newsstand Back Cover:

Identical to the Direct Edition. Indicia states "First Printing: January, 1995." Complete with acetate.

Thread Hi-Jacking complete. Could someone please rename this the "Newsstand Edition Discussion" Thread??
outcast
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 7:21:44 PM

Sonuvagun. And thank you.

This is interesting, though. My #3 has a publication date of March 1994. At the end of the indicia is a line saying "First Printing: January 1994." How can there be a first printing in January 1994, and another first printing in January 1995?

And what about the top edge of that newsstand #3: Is there a color code?
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 7:39:12 PM

Shop at My Store

Oops--it does say 1994. Sorry.

No color code on the top edge, either sprayed or pre-printed. Can't imagine they would print it on there since these are full-bleed pictures.
outcast
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 7:39:29 PM

monidaw1 wrote:
New question
I'm packing an order just now and the book we pulled to ship Star Trek (1989) #47 it turns out was a newsstand and upon close inspection not the grade listed so obviously I slipped it to the side and fetched a direct edition that was the grade listed, adjusted the grade, price and added the Newstand edition disclaimer (same method I expect to turn up additional nesstands regularly hopefully without grading issues involved)).
I check at the really high comic store for reference and they don't list 47 newsstand but they do list 46 newsstand. Do you think they just haven't found a 47 yet, haven't had a request for a 47 yet or that there's something undesirable about 47 so they will not list it?
I think they haven't found it yet. There are lots of newsstand comics they haven't found yet. They know it, and they have admitted it. I quoted a few paragraphs from one of their newsletters back in August, in my first thread at CCL (I gave the URL earlier), in which Chuck talked about his newsstand program, and about the difficulties in closing all the holes in his listings.
outcast
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 7:43:31 PM

Thundercron wrote:
Oops--it does say 1994. Sorry.

No color code on the top edge, either sprayed or pre-printed. Can't imagine they would print it on there since these are full-bleed pictures.
Again, thank you. I'm astonished at this evidence. I definitely have to look for copies now. Thanks again.
yourplace2
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 8:25:46 PM

Shop at My Store

Maybe we answered where all the newstand comics go...the BAMF CAVE! Rolling on the Floor

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 9:09:09 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
Maybe we answered where all the newstand comics go...the BAMF CAVE!

It's more complicated than that. Call Me There's also the private collection to cross reference which I'm working towards having every issue of every Marvel super hero comic along with a healthy dose of DC.

the BAMF!! SPARE BEDROOM!!!!

Now to go dig out my Marvels with the aceate and see what's on the back. Nailbiting

monidaw1
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 9:25:57 PM

Shop at My Store

I've got #4 in acetate cover/newsstand edition

It says in the indica "Vol. 1, No 4, April 1994"

At the bottom of the indica it says "First Printing: February 1994"

It doesn't directly say this is a second or later printing. Maybe this is ther first printing with the acetate cover?

If we need more scanner activity it'll have to wait till morning.
Goodnight Yawn

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:05:26 PM

Shop at My Store

All the first prints had acetate covers. The second prints came out sometime later without the acetate and a lower cover price ($2.95, I believe).
monidaw1
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:06:26 AM

Shop at My Store

So with the two dates we ignore the top date of April and go with the Date of First Printing of February or at least February for the Newsstand imaged here.

monidaw1
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:08:08 AM

Shop at My Store

Which the indica of this second printing Newstand #1 shows as April 1996

That also brings us back full circle with the fine print in the indica seeming to cover the comics having the covers cut off partially or entirely for credit not being eligible for sale but it doesn't tell us wether they had to mail back the acetate cover, the internal cover or both and wether Tamwood could get workers comp for a papercut caused by acetate? Think

outcast
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:03:42 AM

Fascinating images, monidaw1. Thank you for sharing them.

I notice that the Curtis emblem appears on the second printing, but not on the first. I wish I knew what that means.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:44:34 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

yourplace2 wrote:
Maybe we answered where all the newstand comics go...the BAMF CAVE! Rolling on the Floor
Oh, I thought it was looking more like the answer was 'into the hands of speculators who are more interested in greedily jacking up the prices based on "rarity" than they are in reading comics...'.
No?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
yourplace2
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:57:55 AM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:
Oh, I thought it was looking more like the answer was 'into the hands of speculators who are more interested in greedily jacking up the prices based on "rarity" than they are in reading comics...'.
No?

Reading comics? Who the heck ever reads them. LOL!!!!!!!! I just look at the hot girly pictures!

Rolling on the Floor

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:05:11 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

That's close enough to "reading" for me.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?