Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Disney likely to hand Star Wars comic line over to Marvel Options
4saken1
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 10:29:13 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

link

Makes sense, I guess, since they own the rights to both Star Wars and Marvel....

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

padreglcc
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 10:44:10 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

I've been wondering if this would happen. Like you said, makes sense with Disney owning both companies. Would like to see official confirmation before a bunch of rumors start flying.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 10:51:23 PM

Shop at My Store

Man, Dark Horse just can't get a break these days....
wpmcclure
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 11:36:53 PM
Groups: Member

I feel like marvel's gonna just throw some people on it and it won't be as good as it was at dark horse. The current dawn of the Jedi series has been amazing.

scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:16:00 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

wpmcclure wrote:
I feel like marvel's gonna just throw some people on it and it won't be as good as it was at dark horse. The current dawn of the Jedi series has been amazing.

+1.

If Marvel isn't going to carry over some of the series DH has going (like Dawn of the Jedi, Knight Errant, and the new ongoing), it's a shame. They probably won't carry anything over. DH has done a great job over the last 20 years developing memorable Star Wars comic series and it's going to be a shame to see that end. I don't have much faith in Marvel doing the same job that DH has. Wonder if Marvel will pick up any of the DH Star Wars writers (John Jackson Miller comes to mind) or artists (Jan Duursema) because they have such a great history of working on the Star Wars universe.

inhumanking
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 2:16:20 PM

so, what kind of license / 'comic book rights' does Dark Horse currently hold, that would allow said travesty?

it just doesn't make sense that DH wouldn't be protected in a case such as this...

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:27:51 PM

Shop at My Store

inhumanking wrote:
so, what kind of license / 'comic book rights' does Dark Horse currently hold, that would allow said travesty?

it just doesn't make sense that DH wouldn't be protected in a case such as this...

The way I understood it, Disney isn't likely to renew any contracts with Dark Horse once they expire. Dark Horse doesn't own the rights to Star Wars, they just rent them. Being that Disney now owns Marvel and Star Wars, why not get all the profits from the franchise rather than splitting some with a company they don't own? From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

wpmcclure
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 9:33:14 PM

4saken1 wrote:
inhumanking wrote:

The way I understood it, Disney isn't likely to renew any contracts with Dark Horse once they expire. Dark Horse doesn't own the rights to Star Wars, they just rent them. Being that Disney now owns Marvel and Star Wars, why not get all the profits from the franchise rather than splitting some with a company they don't own? From a business perspective, it makes perfect sense!

I understand the biz side of things and yes it does make sense. Just worried that the direction that DH has been taking the series, i mean universe, I wonder if Marvel will scrap everything, or try and continue on some of the more successful ones. I'm not even sure they'll sell more after a period of time of storytelling. It'll be like budweiser's distribution network for a microbrew after taking it over. Doesn't mean the microbrew will continue to taste as good. I bet they will just write for the future movies they plan on producing. Not sure what they'll do after that.

Maybe Disney will buy DH?!?? Whistle

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 10:28:59 PM

Shop at My Store

So will Marvel then own the rights to all of Dark Horse's Star Wars library? Kind of like how IDW has all the reprint rights to the Marvel and GI Joe stuff. I suppose in the scenario Marvel could continue the stories Dark Horse started.
b0bafett
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:54:00 AM

Groups: Guru, Member

I just hope they don't decide to come out with 20 covers for every issue
scotteaves
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:07:07 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Thundercron wrote:
So will Marvel then own the rights to all of Dark Horse's Star Wars library? Kind of like how IDW has all the reprint rights to the Marvel and GI Joe stuff. I suppose in the scenario Marvel could continue the stories Dark Horse started.

I doubt they'll own all the rights to DH's stuff. Maybe they will be able to purchase the rights to them.

I don't think IDW just inherited the rights to the Marvel SW/GI Joe and Image GI Joe stuff. There had to have been money changing hands. In the original IDW Classic Transformers Omnibusses, there were a few issues that had to be excluded because there were Marvel characters in them (Spidey to name one). But in the newer Transformers Classic trades, those issues are included.

b0bafett wrote:

Aw crap. I didn't even think about that. At least DH has kept it limited to only 1 (sometimes 2) variant cover and even that is rare for the last few years.

comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 1:21:38 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

scotteaves wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

I doubt they'll own all the rights to DH's stuff. Maybe they will be able to purchase the rights to them.

I don't think IDW just inherited the rights to the Marvel SW/GI Joe and Image GI Joe stuff. There had to have been money changing hands. In the original IDW Classic Transformers Omnibusses, there were a few issues that had to be excluded because there were Marvel characters in them (Spidey to name one). But in the newer Transformers Classic trades, those issues are included.

b0bafett wrote:

Aw crap. I didn't even think about that. At least DH has kept it limited to only 1 (sometimes 2) variant cover and even that is rare for the last few years.
Wait for the Star Wars/Donald Duck cross-over with the Huey, Dewey & Louie variant covers.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

b0bafett
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:12:24 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

Wall Wall