Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel Stamp = Value lost? Options
natweb
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:13:32 PM
Groups: Member

Wow, after reading these comments, I HAD to login and comment! Wow, you guys really don't know what a Marvel Value Stamp is? You guys need to quit buying the latest drivel and get out there and read a lot more! These were in nearly ALL the Marvel comics through the mid 70s and if you're buying stuff from the 80s or 90s as collectors, quit wasting your time. The stories and the art from these books FAR outstrip the stuff you have been picking up. Get on the stick and learn why Marvel was once considered great. Then dare I say try taking a look at the 60s too? You won't regret it for a second and you'll absolutely forget the 80s, the 90s and the 00's ever even happened! Long live the King Jack Kirby!
natweb
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:14:57 PM

Also, the CGC "GUARANTEES" they've gone over the comic. Hence the G. They aren't going to lie if there's a Value stamp missing, they will grade it lower accordingly. Sheesh!
KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:42:10 PM

natweb wrote:
Wow, after reading these comments, I HAD to login and comment! Wow, you guys really don't know what a Marvel Value Stamp is? You guys need to quit buying the latest drivel and get out there and read a lot more! These were in nearly ALL the Marvel comics through the mid 70s and if you're buying stuff from the 80s or 90s as collectors, quit wasting your time. The stories and the art from these books FAR outstrip the stuff you have been picking up. Get on the stick and learn why Marvel was once considered great. Then dare I say try taking a look at the 60s too? You won't regret it for a second and you'll absolutely forget the 80s, the 90s and the 00's ever even happened! Long live the King Jack Kirby!

To each his own. That's my motto.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:55:00 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Not having the stamp is pretty significant, if sent to CGC it would come back qualified. I would return a book with the stamp cut out or at least ask for a partial refund, depends upon how much you paid I suppose. The stamps are kind of their own category when it comes to grading, personally I grade a book FR if part of the story is missing and GD if it just affects an ad page (CCL doesn't allow qualified grades). They started at the tail end of the 20 centers & ran through the 25 centers. Not all books have them.

I had a Hulk 181 that was a qualified 8.0 with the stamp cut out, still got decent money for it, $320 a couple years ago, I think that was about half guide.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:48:46 PM

natweb wrote:
Also, the CGC "GUARANTEES" they've gone over the comic. Hence the G. They aren't going to lie if there's a Value stamp missing, they will grade it lower accordingly. Sheesh!

Lol

I can think of a dozen or so instances where people have unslabbed books only to find major errors in the CGC grading, including restoration. Anyone can guarantee anything if they dont actually have a guarantee,lol.

As to the Marvel Stamp I would ask for refund!

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

MR_COLLECTOR
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 1:12:19 PM

gtb138 wrote:
Wow, learn something new everyday! I've been collecting for over 20 years and never new about that. Well, at least I don't remember hearing that! I may have heard about it and then completely forgotten. Silly

That would really irk me, if I spent a large sum of money on a book and found 1/4 of a page was missing!!

natweb wrote:

Wow. Condescending, bossy, AND informative. That's one way to teach newer collector's about the history of Marvel Comics.

A 3.0 Hulk #181 with a Green Label sold for $92 5 years ago. A 9.6 GL sold for $950 last year.
If all one cares about is owning the book, it's the affordable way to get one.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:08:12 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I accidentally sold a comic with the stamp missing one time and now I make sure to double check every time. It's an easy thing to miss, you have to be looking for it.

As far as CGC goes, I was under the impression that several people grade each book and they take the average. Is that right? If so, then you'd think one of them would notice a missing stamp.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

MR_COLLECTOR
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 2:46:50 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:

As far as CGC goes, I was under the impression that several people grade each book and they take the average. Is that right? If so, then you'd think one of them would notice a missing stamp.

Yes, they would. It's one of the things they look for in books from that era.
I don't believe it was stated that the book in question was third party graded, just that it was sold to the original poster with the missing stamp undisclosed by the seller. Which is a big no-no if they knew.Shame on You