Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Collector Live Actual Active Membership? Options
CCComics
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:45:23 PM
Groups: Member

I was wondering just how accurate the membership numbers are and if there's any way to accurately gauge how many accounts are truly membership?

Right now the site claims just over 90,000 members but in looking at the usage statistics and browsing through the member list I'm left wondering since I see that most of the members haven't logged on in years. In the forums area I've never experienced more than 10 members logged on at one time. There are a ton of guests listed but I wonder if those are actual people or could be some sort of maintenance accounts or passersby. And in the change request world, there see to be about 10 or so active contributors and a bunch of them are Approvers.

I'm just really curious how big this site is in the world of online comics since I'm seeking a great online community and was considering purchasing the software but want to make sure my money, time and effort goes to a site with staying power that will be here in the years to come, especially if I come to rely on it for cataloging and tracking my collection and perhaps selling a thing or three.

Does anyone know and is there any way to find out active membership? Perhaps someone from Comic Collector Live can chime in.

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:58:35 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Not all of the "active members" participate in the forums. Same goes as far as submissions.

Mad Bloggings

Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:52:19 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

How can you tell if a memeber hasn't logged on in years or not? At any rate, I'd say that a good 99% of my customers do not participate in the forums. I also find myself filling orders for brand new members (I always check) several times a week, so the new members constantly joining is legit.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:35:08 PM

If you click on the forum profile you can see their last visit.

I imagine registering is a pretty quick & simple process, I'm sure tons of people have done it & never done anything more. I'm sure a lot are also left over from when CCL was running ads in major comics & the site was quite busy.

Software hasn't been updated in a while, rolling out a few patches would probably get the forums buzzing again.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:23:34 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I definitely see a lot more than 10 users submitting CRs and most of them are never in the forums. I think a fairly large amount of subscribers simply want the software tool and wish to have nothing to do with the forums or "community" aspect.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:34:23 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Xylob wrote:
I definitely see a lot more than 10 users submitting CRs and most of them are never in the forums. I think a fairly large amount of subscribers simply want the software tool and wish to have nothing to do with the forums or "community" aspect.

I was one of them. When I signed up, it was for the software. Didn't even know there were forums until I was told to go look at the Guidelines. That was when the Change Request system was still within the software so I had no reason to even come to the website.

dunleavy75
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:32:22 PM

scotteaves wrote:
Xylob wrote:

I was one of them. When I signed up, it was for the software. Didn't even know there were forums until I was told to go look at the Guidelines. That was when the Change Request system was still within the software so I had no reason to even come to the website.

Me too. I bought the software to catalogue my books. I can't even remember why I started posting in the forums...curiosity, I guess. Laughing

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
caseysorrow
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:11:33 PM

Groups: Approver, Member

Ditto. Before becoming an approver, I think the only time I came to the forums was to (banned) about my incorrect submissions being rejected. Whistle

Casey

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:55:14 PM

Indeed, I actively avoided the forums for quite some time after I got the software simply because I assumed they would be as bad as all the other comic book forums out there.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

cazmoney
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:28:36 PM

I will say that while I haven't been really active in posting in the forums I do tend to log on almost daily to read other's posts, check if new items on my wishlist are available and of course make the occasional purchase from the marketplace.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:09:34 PM

Xylob wrote:
Indeed, I actively avoided the forums for quite some time after I got the software simply because I assumed they would be as bad as all the other comic book forums out there.

That's because it's still small & many of us know each other. Throw in a few thousand strangers & it would get a little nastier.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:33:11 PM

Too true. CCL is still the only comic book forum I visit.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

CCComics
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:29:24 PM

Good to know the membership numbers are most likely valid. But we've yet to hear anything from actual CCL staff about this. Please someone chime in (and no I'm not asking for financials, just want to talk membership).

At that rate, CCL is pulling in around 2.7 million dollars a year in subscription fees alone. Add in commissions from the marketplace and you've got more than enough money to take this site to the next level. Even subtracting away overhead costs, you've still got a ton of money for development and advertising. Seems that the comic book ads people have mentioned from several years back were quite effective in drawing people in. Perhaps it's time for another ad push.

Jim
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:05:06 PM

That 90k+ number is the total "Members" not necessarily "Subscribers". Good distinction to have and understand.

I can tell you that my mobile apps; Windows Phone 7, Android, and Amazon all have around 500 unique downloads and continue to be downloaded every day.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:06:32 PM

Shop at My Store

Easy, now--those 90,000 registered members are not all software subscribers. Site membership is free. From what I hear, the vast majority of members do not buy the software.
Grwurz
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:04:27 AM

I was a member for about 4 months before I started to do anything on the site. But it was always in the back of my mind and I popped in from time to time and checked things out.

I finally got a lot more active on the site and have enjoyed it.

I guess the point I'm making is, just because it's been a while since people have visited the forums, it doesn't mean that person will never come back (although it's probably unlikely after a few years). It's true that the active users are probably much lower than the subscriber number on the home page, but that doesn't mean that they will never become active.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!