Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
thinking about going with online preorder Options
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:42:28 PM

Groups: Member

i used heroes corner a few years ago (what happened to them?) but with my current list its just much and my back issue purchases have been very slim... does anyone use DCBS? with 40% discounts its way more than tempting.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Nick18313
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:59:22 PM

I used to use DCBS and always had good service from them.

Pull List: Aphrodite IX, Artifacts, Cyberforce, Darkness, Witchblade, All New X-Factor, All New X-Men, Magneto, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force
SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:35:39 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I've been using DCBS for about four years now. It's a mixed back. The deep discounts are great because I can read more for the same money.

My biggest complaint is the packing. They just don't do that great a job. Too many issues packed together which tends to cause mild rolling. Don't bother with bags & boards. It's just too annoying and I've had multiple back covers damaged (from folded corners to complete tears up the back) because they don't pay attention. Stuff like this isn't monthly, but it's at least a couple times a year.

The customer service is slow (at least a couple days for e-mail replies and sometimes multiple e-mails needed to get any reply), but they either come through with replacements or refunds.

So, while I wish they were better the prices can't be beat. So when I order $300 in cover prices a month and only pay 60% of that I can be okay with dealing with a couple service issues now and again.

Oh, and their "pull list" feature is worthless because it puts EVERY variant in your cart. I got over that a long time ago though.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
Raziel84
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:54:18 AM

Hello I was really thinking about this because of the discounts but I just dont know anything about online subscriptions if anyone could just fill me in on how they work and how I get involved I would be gratfull
Nate77
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:46:07 AM

Raziel84 wrote:
Hello I was really thinking about this because of the discounts but I just dont know anything about online subscriptions if anyone could just fill me in on how they work and how I get involved I would be gratfull

Most of them work the same, you look through a preview catalog either online or hardcopy, these books are 2 months away from being released, you log in pick your books. Most sites offer weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly shipping you choose bags and boards its usually your choice. Then you pay and wait 2 months for delivery.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Pull List: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Deadpool,X-Force, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman & ?, B.P.R.D., Hellboy, The Walking Dead, Super Dinosaur.
inhumanking
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:59:20 AM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
i used heroes corner a few years ago

i did too. now i subscribe monthly with ComicsCastle.

if you're seriously considering ordering online, do yourself a favor and drop Pat an email or PM. 35+ CCL'ers currently use him, can we all be wrong?

the discount is REALLY good, and IRT the issues SwiftMann brought up...

- packing is top notch

- customer service is always an email, phone call, or CCL PM away. it's always been same day, super prompt.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:06:32 AM

inhumanking wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

if you're seriously considering ordering online, do yourself a favor and drop Pat an email or PM. 35+ CCL'ers currently use him, can we all be wrong?

- packing is top notch

- customer service is always an email, phone call, or CCL PM away. it's always been same day, super prompt.

i would. i've talked to him about it in the past. the thing is i have to fill a form out every month and between training schools and deployments i really dont have time for that. i'm looking for a automatic pull list that i dont have to worry about

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:08:12 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
I've been using DCBS for about four years now. It's a mixed back. The deep discounts are great because I can read more for the same money.

My biggest complaint is the packing. They just don't do that great a job. Too many issues packed together which tends to cause mild rolling. Don't bother with bags & boards. It's just too annoying and I've had multiple back covers damaged (from folded corners to complete tears up the back) because they don't pay attention. Stuff like this isn't monthly, but it's at least a couple times a year.

The customer service is slow (at least a couple days for e-mail replies and sometimes multiple e-mails needed to get any reply), but they either come through with replacements or refunds.

So, while I wish they were better the prices can't be beat. So when I order $300 in cover prices a month and only pay 60% of that I can be okay with dealing with a couple service issues now and again.

Oh, and their "pull list" feature is worthless because it puts EVERY variant in your cart. I got over that a long time ago though.

that sucks about the bags and boards... the variants wouldn't bug to much as i collect all of the for TMNT anyways... the bag and boards is pretty unsettling as well as the spine rolls.

Alarion
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:33:30 AM

I just started with ComicCastle as well, and yes, you have to fill out a form. But, it's in Excel and you can easily filter/sort down to what you collect. It takes me 5 minutes a month to fill mine out for about 20 or so books.

I too was used to more user-friendly (online) means of placing my orders - but really, it's easy as pie and Pat seems to have a good knack for customer service. So if you have any questions or issues, he's usually quick to reply.

And it's a nice discount as well, plus the free shipping and bags/boards - it's a no-brainer for me. I am keeping a few pulls local to help my local guy out, but Pat's service so far as been terrific.

EDIT: the complaint I list below is NOT VALID. Pat has corrected me, and I apologize for passing on incorrect information about his service.

My *only* complaint is that he uses modern bags/boards. Do you know how hard it is to pull comics out of the modern bags/boards? holy cow they are tight!
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:20:11 AM

Yeah but lots of time I don't have access to a computer. I have to use a MWR computer for personal stuff and the security on those computers are horrible... and when I'm in schools I don't have access period like when additional skills schools or career development my computer usage is limited. I'd let my wife do it but she couldn't even pick up my pull list while I was overseas (I'm still trying to Widdel that pile down at my LCS) when I get out I'll most likely use pat. He's a great guy and I trust probably the most on here he was super helpful when I would order from him when I was stationed in Germany. If had and automated service is be all over that.

Flagwaver
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:28:46 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I've used DCBS for five years and have always had great service. I've never received damaged books and if I've ever had a question I always get a response in 24hrs or less.
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:43:43 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
Yeah but lots of time I don't have access to a computer. I have to use a MWR computer for personal stuff and the security on those computers are horrible... and when I'm in schools I don't have access period like when additional skills schools or career development my computer usage is limited. I'd let my wife do it but she couldn't even pick up my pull list while I was overseas (I'm still trying to Widdel that pile down at my LCS) when I get out I'll most likely use pat. He's a great guy and I trust probably the most on here he was super helpful when I would order from him when I was stationed in Germany. If had and automated service is be all over that.

Pretty much any online service is going to require monitoring of the Pull List on a monthly basis. The slightest name change to a book (even if it's an accident on the publisher or Diamond's part) will mean you don't get an issue. And if there's a one-shot or mini-series or anything extra, you aren't going to get it without updating a website based list.

And at a minimum, you have to log in each month to approve your order and provide credit card info. You can't set it once and forget it. They will not automatically charge.

There's no perfect system.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:56:10 AM

True but its less of a hassle than filling out an excel spread sheet. Its a sound system but one i really wont have time for. I never had an issue with midtown comics.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:57:25 AM

Flagwaver wrote:
I've used DCBS for five years and have always had great service. I've never received damaged books and if I've ever had a question I always get a response in 24hrs or less.
I guess experiences may differ. I'm leaning towards them.

comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:48:02 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Alarion wrote:
I just started with ComicCastle as well, and yes, you have to fill out a form. But, it's in Excel and you can easily filter/sort down to what you collect. It takes me 5 minutes a month to fill mine out for about 20 or so books.

I too was used to more user-friendly (online) means of placing my orders - but really, it's easy as pie and Pat seems to have a good knack for customer service. So if you have any questions or issues, he's usually quick to reply.

And it's a nice discount as well, plus the free shipping and bags/boards - it's a no-brainer for me. I am keeping a few pulls local to help my local guy out, but Pat's service so far as been terrific.

My *only* complaint is that he uses modern bags/boards. Do you know how hard it is to pull comics out of the modern bags/boards? holy cow they are tight!
I just sent you an email about this. If you want Silver Age bags & boards all you need to do is ask for them.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:50:05 PM

Gmart.com is pretty good when it comes to not having to log in and change subscriptions. Once you add a series to your pull list it stays until you remove it. now if title changes like amazing spiderman to Superior spiderman then you will have to change but if you put Superior in it will continue to ship until you tell it to stop.

I like DCBS but not the monthly shipping charge. My pull list is only about 10 books a month so that S&H charge eats up too much of the discount.

On side note does anyone know if comiccastle offers pre-orders on variants like DCBS? It is one of the only reasons I still use them.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Alarion
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:07:06 PM

comicscastle wrote:
Alarion wrote:

I just sent you an email about this. If you want Silver Age bags & boards all you need to do is ask for them.

Well there I go eating crow. Pat, I deeply apologize for not checking with you first. Like I said in the email, I *assumed* based on what you had ordered.

With that said, I have no issues with ComicsCastle and he has been more than attentive to my requests - if I had to grade him, so far he gets an A+. I highly recommend you consider them.
kevscomics
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:49:42 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

inhumanking wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

- packing is top notch

I agree, I am new with PAT, just started this month, and he really made the transition easy...I was really concerned about missing books but no problems whatsoever
b0bafett
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:29:04 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

My issue is right now I'm only collect star wars titles so my pull list is only 1 or 2 books a month. If I could find someone that would work with me on shipping I would be so happy. ( Help by holding the books intill I meet the free shipping price or something to that nature)
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:32:20 PM

Yeah that does suck. 6 plus dollars for shipping 2 books doesn't make since. At 2 books it'd probably be better to just have a pull box at your lcs