Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Valiant Stuff Options
kevscomics
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:50:17 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

I got one of the 5 books for 5 dollars Valiant bundles, I had already read A & A and XO, but last night I read Shadowman, Harbinger, and Bloodshot # 1's, I know it's just the #1's, but I really enjoyed all of them, IMO, a lot better than the stuff I am currently reading from the big 2...Are there other current Valiant titles out there that are worth checking out? What are your thoughts on the Valiant's current titles?
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:57:27 AM

Groups: Member

i love them. I've only read XO and shadow man but i thought they were great reads. way better than anything marvel is putting out right now.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:18:45 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm generally loving the relaunch. After I get through my big pile of Marvel, the Valiant books are next in my monthly to-read pile. Ahead of anything from Image, Dark Horse, DC, Boom, etc...

There are only 5 ongoings so far and one current mini-series, Harbinger Wars, which is a Bloodshot/Harbinger crossover.

You can see everything they've put out by searching Valiant Entertainment in the publisher field (or just clicking the link there).

I've been reading them all since the relaunch. In order from my best to worst...

Archer & Armstrong (10 issues to date, including a #0)
-Easily my favorite. There's a ton going on in this book with four lead characters, multiple villainous organizations and a ton of Valiant history being laid out. Great characterization despite the large cast.

X-O Manowar (13 issues to date)
-A close second. Knocked mostly for being a bit too slow paced. Each issue is action packed with plenty happening, but I think #4-13 have covered about three days so far. Just not enough forward momentum for my taste.

Shadowman (7 issues to date, including a #0)
-The newest Valiant title. Gorgeous art from Patrick Zircher makes this an easy pick up. The story is interesting, but a bit of a slow build.

Bloodshot (11 issues to date)
-Early on this was a favorite, but it's gotten a bit too convoluted and perhaps too much work to follow all the conspiracy and detail. Not bad, but not as good lately as the first few issues.

Harbinger (13 issues to date, including a #0)
-Bringing up the rear by a significant difference. Although, it seems that people either love or loathe this book. I've never been able to click with Joshua Dysart's writing (on this or any book). He always seems to be trying way too hard to be moody and angsty. The big idea is an interesting one, but I generally find it a chore to get through each issue.

Coming up this later year is Quantum & Woody, Eternal Warrior, Rai (maybe?) and Unity.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
crackerjack1
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:18:12 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

SwiftMann wrote:
Coming up this later year is Quantum & Woody, Eternal Warrior, Rai (maybe?) and Unity.

I haven't read any of the newer valiant books, and I don't intend to, but I can not wait for the new Quantum & Woody book. I loved the original series and hopefully Asmus can capture a bit of what Priest was writing years ago.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cyclops, Daredevil, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, New Warriors, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Spider-Man 2099, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Avengers & X-Men: AXIS, AXIS: Hobgoblin, Q2: Return of Quantum & Woody, Super Secret Crisis War, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse, TMNT/Ghostbusters

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
kevscomics
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:11:41 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

SwiftMann wrote:
I'm generally loving the relaunch. After I get through my big pile of Marvel, the Valiant books are next in my monthly to-read pile. Ahead of anything from Image, Dark Horse, DC, Boom, etc...

There are only 5 ongoings so far and one current mini-series, Harbinger Wars, which is a Bloodshot/Harbinger crossover.

You can see everything they've put out by searching Valiant Entertainment in the publisher field (or just clicking the link there).

I've been reading them all since the relaunch. In order from my best to worst...

Archer & Armstrong (10 issues to date, including a #0)
-Easily my favorite. There's a ton going on in this book with four lead characters, multiple villainous organizations and a ton of Valiant history being laid out. Great characterization despite the large cast.

X-O Manowar (13 issues to date)
-A close second. Knocked mostly for being a bit too slow paced. Each issue is action packed with plenty happening, but I think #4-13 have covered about three days so far. Just not enough forward momentum for my taste.

Shadowman (7 issues to date, including a #0)
-The newest Valiant title. Gorgeous art from Patrick Zircher makes this an easy pick up. The story is interesting, but a bit of a slow build.

Bloodshot (11 issues to date)
-Early on this was a favorite, but it's gotten a bit too convoluted and perhaps too much work to follow all the conspiracy and detail. Not bad, but not as good lately as the first few issues.

Harbinger (13 issues to date, including a #0)
-Bringing up the rear by a significant difference. Although, it seems that people either love or loathe this book. I've never been able to click with Joshua Dysart's writing (on this or any book). He always seems to be trying way too hard to be moody and angsty. The big idea is an interesting one, but I generally find it a chore to get through each issue.

That is some really great information! thanks for taking the time to respond, I thought I read somewhere they were doing a Ninjak book? Heard anything about that one?
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:39:37 PM

Shop at My Store

kevscomics wrote:
I thought I read somewhere they were doing a Ninjak book? Heard anything about that one?

That may have been teased in the FCBD issue with Eternal Warrior and Unity.

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:43:38 PM

Shop at My Store

crackerjack1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

I haven't read any of the newer valiant books, and I don't intend to, but I can not wait for the new Quantum & Woody book. I loved the original series and hopefully Asmus can capture a bit of what Priest was writing years ago.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this title coming back without Priest or Bright. Especially since it sounds, depending on your POV, that they got screwed out of ownership by Acclaim.

But at the same time, I'm happy to see the characters back in print and firmly in this Valiant Universe (as opposed to the Acclaim version).

ebcomix
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 5:32:37 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm so happy to hear the positive Valiant comments! The early 1990's Valiant books were what got me back into collecting after I was "all grown up" I've read a couple of the Doctor Solar books, I guess I'll have to make an effort to pick up some more

Dave H
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 9:07:48 PM

Shop at My Store

ebcomix wrote:
I'm so happy to hear the positive Valiant comments! The early 1990's Valiant books were what got me back into collecting after I was "all grown up" I've read a couple of the Doctor Solar books, I guess I'll have to make an effort to pick up some more

Dave H

The Solar books from Dark Horse? That was a whole different thing with Shooter, Dark Horse and the company that owns Solar, Turok and Magnus. Those didn't last long and were poorly received (cause they were awful and late).

The new Valiant doesn't include those three characters but is light years better than what Dark Horse was putting out.

Jim
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:12:58 PM

Which is disappointing because Magnus is an awesome character.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
Grwurz
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 8:10:59 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
crackerjack1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

I definitely have mixed feelings about this title coming back without Priest or Bright. Especially since it sounds, depending on your POV, that they got screwed out of ownership by Acclaim.

But at the same time, I'm happy to see the characters back in print and firmly in this Valiant Universe (as opposed to the Acclaim version).

They didn't get screwed by anybody. When Acclaim went through bankruptcy, they could have made a claim for those characters. Once the BK was done, those were free and clear assets of the entity the company became.

I don't know if Priest or Bright knew this, or even tried to get the characters back, but they were a victim of working for a company that was headed for bankruptcy.

Anyway, I love the new VEI material. I have picked up every book they have put out and I generally agree with Swiftmann's rankings, except that Harbinger would be higher up on the list for me. It would have been at the top during the first arc, but it's kind of dropped since then for me.

Although Harbinger wars has made my enjoyment of Bloodshot and Harbinger come up a notch since it started.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:14:49 PM

Shop at My Store

There have been claims from Acclaim creators that their contracts (which included varios creator ownership clsuses and buy backs) were not properly processed and deemed invalid long before the bankruptcy.

Grwurz
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:44:06 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
There have been claims from Acclaim creators that their contracts (which included varios creator ownership clsuses and buy backs) were not properly processed and deemed invalid long before the bankruptcy.

There is a version of the story that states that, but really the creators pretty much drug their feet and lost out on their rights in the bankruptcy.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/31/valiant/

It also looks like the guys at VEI are working with them, even though they have no legal reason to do so. At least in the area of reprints.

Although I doubt there will be too much of a demand for old Trinity Angels stuff, there may be some demand for old Quantam and Woody stuff.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:36:59 PM

Shop at My Store

Just so happens it's been about a year since my last check-in in this thread.

Here's a quick write-up of April's books I did for a different site of comic friends.

A Valiant Round-Up

X-O Manowar #24 - A super-quick read, but a fun one. As much as I loathed the Unity storyline that got us to the point where X-O and the Visigoths are living in the middle of the U.S., it has great little things in every issue since. Plus, big ol' fight for the first half the issue.

Harbinger #22 - This series has finally started to click with me. Probably means all the people that loved it from the beginning hate it now. I think the characters have finally moved past being pawns for the writer's stories and become actual characters. Of course, the book is ending with #25 and then going into a brief mini-series and it's unclear what happens after that, so...

Archer & Armstrong #19 & Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #21 - Parts 3 and 4 of a four-part crossover. Good stuff and A&A remains my favorite book and characters Valiant is putting out there. The art on Bloodshot was atrocious though. Like, not competent enough to be anything more than a self-published mini-comic.

Shadowman: End Times #1 - aka Shadowman #17 aka Thank Yoda There's Only Two More Issues of This Crap. Shadowman started off as one of my favorite books with great art and a fun story. It clearly had zero path though once Zanier left and Valiant stumbled for a few months while they got Milligan in place. And Milligan did what Milligan does and just wrote his own story that had zero to do with anything else established before. And it blows. Hard. I have to imagine the mini-series is an attempt to get sales up with a #1 to make sure they can pay Milligan because it is nothing more than the next issue of the ongoing and not even an arc break or anything. And the artist and colorist apparently think that Shadowman is a white guy after 16 issues of him being a black man. A complete disaster that's starting to show the wheels coming off Valiant a bit.

Quantum & Woody #9 - Sweet googly moogly is this not funny or good. The writing is an absolute chore to get through as it's the same four jokes every month. On the plus side the art is by Kano this month instead of the horrible Ming Doyle. On the negative side again they all but ignore the one interesting thing set up in the #0 issue last month of where Q&W's dad is.

Eternal Warrior #8 - This is the final issue of an interesting 4001 AD arc and it's also the final issue of the series. Oh, sorry, I think the official, unannounced Valiant stance is on hiatus. But this series started off so far from the mark and by the time they got to the second arc no one cared. And it, like Shadowman, seems like no one really planned anything out from a big picture standpoint. Hard to see the 4001 AD Eternal Warrior is living in jiving with the one Rai is in.

Unity #6 - Matt Kindt drowns us in exposition and monologue. F'ing painful.

Rai #1 - And more Matt Kindt issue-long monologue. At least there's a decent story here (unlike Unity). Clayton Crain's art is clean and sometime pretty but I generally find it lifeless and static. I hope we can get away from the exposition and monologue heavy issues soon because I can see this being interesting but I don't have a ton of faith.

So, Valiant has really been a mixed bag of late. Including facing their first failed series with Eternal Warrior and soon Shadowman. Those I have to fully put blame on the company and the editors more than the creative teams though. It's really hard to believe Valiant has as true a long-term gameplan as they should for the universe they are building. They say they aren't going for more than nine titles a month. This summer is chalk full of mini-series, so I look forward to this fall's solicitation to see if they can right the ship with ongoing titles or if they continue to sink.