Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
SUMMER SUPERHERO MOVIE INSANITY!----SPOILERS GALORE Options
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:55:09 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,522
Points: 32,081
Location: Vancouver, Washington
comicuniversity wrote:
SPIDER MAN 2


REVIEW



THE GOOD:

The Spidey vs. Doc Ock fight on the train scene is, maybe, the best super hero-villain fight scene of all the movies reviewed so far. Awesome. When Spidey is stopping the runaway train with his webs, then the passengers catch him and help him. It's just great.

The relationship between Parker and MJ is central to the movie. and it is well done. The scene where MJ finally realizes Peter is Spider Man is a great moment.

Peter coming clean to Aunt May about uncle Bens' deathis also a key moment that is done very well.

Octavius' descent into villainhood is very believable. Well written. He understands that he has done evil, but the arms just have too much control of him. On the flipside, at the end, when he re-establishes control and sacrifices himself is a poignant moment.

JK Simmons is just a scene stealer. I found myself wishing for more scenes with Jonah, which is ridiculous, considering this is a sci fi super hero movie. But man, I wanted more of the cigar chomping newspaper man.

Peter's life. I mean, he is just a hard luck case. All the time he spends as spider man would, necessarily, screw up the rest of his life.....and it does. It just grounds this movie so nicely. rarely do we see real world consequences of superheroing in this way.

THE BAD:

Osborn's hatred of Spider Man is kinda inexplicable. I mean, he knows what kind of guy his dad was. And he knows what kind of hero spidey is...but he still is unreasonable. Also, his ascent to head of OScorp is, well, not covered. I mean, he is a simpering high school grad running a fortune 500 company? I don't think so.

A little water could stop the self sustaining drive of the fusion generator? I don't think so. Too pat.

It was unnecessary to make Peter's powers dissapear. I think he could have come to the decision to quit without this twist.


CONCLUSION: This was a really good movie. It was one of the top so far....and, as a sequel, that's surprising. B+





Good Point! At first, it doesn't seem to make any sense, since Norman was fired by the board during the first movie. So Harry really wouldn't have any ties to the company. BUT--Norman did kill (All?) the members of the board in the first movie. Maybe he did so before the termination paperwork was filed, and if Norman (being the founder of the company) was the only board member left before HE died--maybe it all went to his heir? Even if that's true, you're right--it should have been covered in the movie.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:29:51 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
Thundercron wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
SPAWN





Hey, so you gave Spawn the Director's Cut treatment and not Daredevil? Come on! No fairsies!Whistle



LOL. Nah....That's just the movie poster image I got off google. No directors cuts for this. Just the theatrical runs.

I did thinkof this thread though, last week. Saw the Directors cut of DD at WALMART for 5 bucks. Almost bought it.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:03:27 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
BEST SUPERHERO-SUPERVILLAIN FIGHTS SO FAR:

In no particular order.

----Spider-Man versus Doctor Octopus on the elevated train in Spider Man 2

----Mr Hyde versus the red rage Monster in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

----Hulk versus the Abomination in the incredible Hulk

---- Superman versus Faora and Quex Ul with the interference of the American military in town in Man of Steel.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:41:25 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,546
Points: 60,371
Location: Redding, CA
I hope you include the awesomely-cheesy Masters of the Universe in this run. It's an 80s gem.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 7:06:02 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,522
Points: 32,081
Location: Vancouver, Washington
BurningDoom wrote:
I hope you include the awesomely-cheesy Masters of the Universe in this run. It's an 80s gem.


Nate, you continue to show your good taste in movies!

I LOVE the Masters of the Universe movie. It's one of the few films I watch that gets better every time I see (no, that's not sarcasm!). That's largely due to Frank Langella absolutely OWNING his role as Skeletor--totally committing and not phoning it in.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 11:45:38 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,546
Points: 60,371
Location: Redding, CA
Thundercron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
I hope you include the awesomely-cheesy Masters of the Universe in this run. It's an 80s gem.


Nate, you continue to show your good taste in movies!

I LOVE the Masters of the Universe movie. It's one of the few films I watch that gets better every time I see (no, that's not sarcasm!). That's largely due to Frank Langella absolutely OWNING his role as Skeletor--totally committing and not phoning it in.


For sure. He out did He-Man himself (granted that's not hard when He-Man is played but Dolph Lundren, but still).

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Dreadnok01
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:56:00 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/24/2008
Posts: 490
Points: 1,470
Location: In my house
Shizz wrote:
Spider-man 2: Solid B+

Right there with you on most all of it. I think this one in the trilogy I like the best. But I just can't stand listening to Tobey's sappy/whiny/crying version of Peter. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I did not like him as Spidey or the chic who played MJ.


Spawn: Shaky D+

Enjoyable for the time but just a B movie in all aspects.


This is the EXACT reason I like the new Spider-man movie better than the original trilogy. Tobey was just too damn whiny to be Spider-man!
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 3:49:37 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,522
Points: 32,081
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Dreadnok01 wrote:
Shizz wrote:
Spider-man 2: Solid B+

Right there with you on most all of it. I think this one in the trilogy I like the best. But I just can't stand listening to Tobey's sappy/whiny/crying version of Peter. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I did not like him as Spidey or the chic who played MJ.


Spawn: Shaky D+

Enjoyable for the time but just a B movie in all aspects.


This is the EXACT reason I like the new Spider-man movie better than the original trilogy. Tobey was just too damn whiny to be Spider-man!



As much as I hated Tobey's whining and crying (especially in the third film), don't blame him. His performance in the Spider-Man films in regards to the whining and crying is not indicitive of other movie performances he's given. Sam Raimi was the director--he directed him to act that way. Blame Sam.
Shizz
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:31:52 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 1,592
Points: 4,776
Thundercron wrote:
Dreadnok01 wrote:
Shizz wrote:
Spider-man 2: Solid B+

Right there with you on most all of it. I think this one in the trilogy I like the best. But I just can't stand listening to Tobey's sappy/whiny/crying version of Peter. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I did not like him as Spidey or the chic who played MJ.


Spawn: Shaky D+

Enjoyable for the time but just a B movie in all aspects.


This is the EXACT reason I like the new Spider-man movie better than the original trilogy. Tobey was just too damn whiny to be Spider-man!



As much as I hated Tobey's whining and crying (especially in the third film), don't blame him. His performance in the Spider-Man films in regards to the whining and crying is not indicitive of other movie performances he's given. Sam Raimi was the director--he directed him to act that way. Blame Sam.


Sooooo did he direct Seabiscuit as well?Big Grin
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2013 12:18:20 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,522
Points: 32,081
Location: Vancouver, Washington
I saw Seabiscuit once ten years ago. Don't really remember much about it.

So are you saying Sam Raimi didn't direct Tobey on how to act? Because that's what directors do. They direct actors on how to act, until the actor gives the director what they want. For the Peter Weepy scenes, it's very simple--he would simply tell Tobey to start to cry in the scene, or not to start to cry. So Raimi signed off on all of this when he shot the scenes.
Dreadnok01
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 4:27:13 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/24/2008
Posts: 490
Points: 1,470
Location: In my house
Thundercron wrote:
Dreadnok01 wrote:
Shizz wrote:
Spider-man 2: Solid B+

Right there with you on most all of it. I think this one in the trilogy I like the best. But I just can't stand listening to Tobey's sappy/whiny/crying version of Peter. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I did not like him as Spidey or the chic who played MJ.


Spawn: Shaky D+

Enjoyable for the time but just a B movie in all aspects.


This is the EXACT reason I like the new Spider-man movie better than the original trilogy. Tobey was just too damn whiny to be Spider-man!



As much as I hated Tobey's whining and crying (especially in the third film), don't blame him. His performance in the Spider-Man films in regards to the whining and crying is not indicitive of other movie performances he's given. Sam Raimi was the director--he directed him to act that way. Blame Sam.


I don't blame Tobey (I really haven't seen him in anything else) I blame the writers AND the director.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:03:35 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
I thought Tobey Maguire was a pretty good Spidey.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:11:18 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
HELLBOY



REVIEW


THE GOOD:

Ron perlman is an Amazing Hellboy. I mean, now when i read hellboy comics, I picture Perlman's voice. He is perfect.

The special effects are awesome. The imagery of the evil god's tentacles reaching for Earth. The Samiel eggs and body movements. Abe Sapien and HB himself. Liz engulfed in flames. etc. etc. Great stuff.

Hellboy's relationship with his "father" is reverant and very well done. When he dies, it is extremely effective because of how much we have been made to care for the character and his relationship with HB.

The entire set-up of the BPRD is cool.

The music. "Red Right Hand" is always good.

The fight scene on the subway platform between Samiel and Hellboy is awesome.

The clockwork sand assassin villain is sooooo cool and creepy. His surgery fetish. eewwwww.

I really liked the humor in this movie. I believe that action movies can sometimes overdo the humor at the expense of the excitment and suspense. But this movie got it just right. I really liked Hellboys' quips.

I liked Myers role in the movie.

THE BAD:

The Hellboy-Liz relationship is forced and unbelievable.

Hellboy's grenade defeat of the big bad villain at the end was too easy.

I hated the Jeffrey Tambor role. His character was not used wisely.

Soooo funny (in an intelligence insulting way) that hellboy has remained a secret for decades.....until all of a sudden everybody sees him all over the place and the secret is out...just like that.


CONCLUSION:

B- movie. I know I said a lot of good stuff about this...and i did enjoy it. But, it just didn't have that indefinable....oomph...that puts a movie over the top into "great" category for me.
Shizz
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:34:36 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 1,592
Points: 4,776
Dreadnok01 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:


As much as I hated Tobey's whining and crying (especially in the third film), don't blame him. His performance in the Spider-Man films in regards to the whining and crying is not indicitive of other movie performances he's given. Sam Raimi was the director--he directed him to act that way. Blame Sam.


I don't blame Tobey (I really haven't seen him in anything else) I blame the writers AND the director.


Ok, then I will say this: "I do not like Tobey as an actor and did not like what he brought to the character."
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 11:11:35 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
SUPERMAN II



REVIEW



THE GOOD:

Wow. Not much. This is a pretty crappy movie. Godawful really.

ummm.....Some of the Lois and Clark scenes are kinda charming.

Kneel Before Zod!

It felt like a big movie...which I like.

THE BAD:

Special effects are horrendous. Even for a 1980 movie.

Lex Luthor is the dumbest man on Earth. He gets doublecrossed 3 times...by the same people in the same manner.

The final scene in the fortress of solitude is soo stupid. First off, when did superman have duplication and invisibility (even in the movies)? Next....when did Zod get sooooooo gullible. I mean, the trick to go into the power cancelling machine. Oh My GOD. So stupid.

The entire "Lois and Superman" kissing in a tree crap. I mean. crap. Crap Crap.

Since when is Superman so vengeful? I mean, not only was the first diner scene where powerless Clark gets beat up stupid....but the second diner scene where powered Clark beats up a trucker. Even more stupid.

Even the music, that was so cool in the first Superman, was muted in this one.

Conclusion:

I don't want to go on too much, but this movie rates an F+. One of the worst we have seen this summer. Really Really Bad.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:31:27 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,522
Points: 32,081
Location: Vancouver, Washington
comicuniversity wrote:
SUPERMAN II



REVIEW



THE GOOD:

Wow. Not much. This is a pretty crappy movie. Godawful really.

ummm.....Some of the Lois and Clark scenes are kinda charming.

Kneel Before Zod!

It felt like a big movie...which I like.

THE BAD:

Special effects are horrendous. Even for a 1980 movie.

Lex Luthor is the dumbest man on Earth. He gets doublecrossed 3 times...by the same people in the same manner.

The final scene in the fortress of solitude is soo stupid. First off, when did superman have duplication and invisibility (even in the movies)? Next....when did Zod get sooooooo gullible. I mean, the trick to go into the power cancelling machine. Oh My GOD. So stupid.

The entire "Lois and Superman" kissing in a tree crap. I mean. crap. Crap Crap.

Since when is Superman so vengeful? I mean, not only was the first diner scene where powerless Clark gets beat up stupid....but the second diner scene where powered Clark beats up a trucker. Even more stupid.

Even the music, that was so cool in the first Superman, was muted in this one.

Conclusion:

I don't want to go on too much, but this movie rates an F+. One of the worst we have seen this summer. Really Really Bad.


The rating you gave this movie, it's....it's like a joke, right?
comicscastle
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:57:13 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Joined: 1/30/2008
Posts: 15,063
Points: 427,733
Location: New Jersey
Thundercron wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
SUPERMAN II



REVIEW



THE GOOD:

Wow. Not much. This is a pretty crappy movie. Godawful really.

ummm.....Some of the Lois and Clark scenes are kinda charming.

Kneel Before Zod!

It felt like a big movie...which I like.

THE BAD:

Special effects are horrendous. Even for a 1980 movie.

Lex Luthor is the dumbest man on Earth. He gets doublecrossed 3 times...by the same people in the same manner.

The final scene in the fortress of solitude is soo stupid. First off, when did superman have duplication and invisibility (even in the movies)? Next....when did Zod get sooooooo gullible. I mean, the trick to go into the power cancelling machine. Oh My GOD. So stupid.

The entire "Lois and Superman" kissing in a tree crap. I mean. crap. Crap Crap.

Since when is Superman so vengeful? I mean, not only was the first diner scene where powerless Clark gets beat up stupid....but the second diner scene where powered Clark beats up a trucker. Even more stupid.

Even the music, that was so cool in the first Superman, was muted in this one.

Conclusion:

I don't want to go on too much, but this movie rates an F+. One of the worst we have seen this summer. Really Really Bad.


The rating you gave this movie, it's....it's like a joke, right?
It is as far as I'm concerned. To me this was the best of the original set of movies. I loved the action and the interplay with the various characters. Every time I see it on TV I have to watch. I think it's great.



The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar


comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:48:01 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
Man, I remember loving this movie. But, of course I haven't seen it in 25 years or so.

I just thought everything about it was horrible....and I WANTED to like it.

I felt the writing was horrible. I mean, the way lois sneaks into the nuclear terrorist situation? WTF?

She throws herelf over Niagara falls because, suddenly, after years of working with Clark and having not an inkling he is Superman, she becomes so convinced because she glimpses him without his glasses for a second?

Lex Luthor escapes from a Maximum Security prison on a hot air balloon that is just floating above the prison yard?

The greatest criminals of all time fall for the oldest trick in the book.

The acting is awful. I mean...awful.


I can see enjoying it for kitsche value. It certainly had some charm to it (maybe I could rethink and give it a D based on that.).....but it was just painful for me to sit through. lol.


Of course, I figured I would be in the minority. I mean, this movie did lead to TWO sequels, so it was liked by many. I am just not one of them.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:50:06 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
FYI----My son, who is watching all these with me, liked it much more than me.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:08:15 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator

Joined: 4/18/2012
Posts: 1,289
Points: 4,642
HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY



REVIEW


THE GOOD:

I loved the overall look of the movie. The set design and creature effects. Nuada's monster friend ith the telescoping hand.....The boxes that the tooth fairies were carried in.....the Golden Armies' holding area.....the white skinned elves....The BPRD headquarters. Really cool stuff.

Johann was a great addition to the team. I liked when he possessed the lockers and kicked Hellboy's butt.

The end fight was great. when they were fighting the Golden Army, then when Hellboy was duking it out with Nuada.

The part where Hellboy was actually close to death and had to be saved by that fallen angel with the prophecy of apocalypse was a great touch.

I liked Abe and HB getting drunk over women, then getting their butts handed to them by Nuada because of it.

The fight with the Forest God was Awesome!

The opening vignette explaining the origins of the Golden Army was a great way to open the movie.

It was great to see Abe Sapien actually being a competent member of the team, and not just support staff.

The inclusion of things like the troll market and the living entrance to the Golden Army holding area really brought the world of magic alive for me.

THE BAD:

Where was Myers? He got a one line mention in this movie. I felt cheated.

I don't see what Liz sees in HB....and the writers don't attemot to make us see it. There is no believability to their love story.

I didn't understand why all the freaks quit the BPRD at the end. That wasn't really explained.

The arc about the BPRD being "outed" was given too short shrift.

CONCLUSION:
Like the first hellboy, this was a really good movie that, for some reason, didn't have that unexplainable oommph to get to great movie status. B.

Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.710 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241