Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
JimmmKelly
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:56:45 AM
Groups: Member

Why would anyone want the prices for back issues to keep going down? That would mean that whatever you pay for a comic today, it's going to be worth less tomorrow--so you're losing money on anything you buy. Whereas, if the prices keep going up, then whatever you buy today will be worth more tomorrow. So you're actually beneiftting on any purchase you make.

It would also destroy the industry, since nobody would buy anything, because it's a waste of money. Why would you want that?

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:01:49 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I sure as hell want to see prices go down more. I'm a buyer, not a seller. And I don't plan on selling my collection (except for a few bad storylines/issues here or there).

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:03:21 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Other than BurningDoom, just before I hit "post" ... where did you see anybody say they wanted prices to go down? I see where people are asking why a particular issue was more costly, but not where they were wanting the value to go down. The cost, yes, the value, no.

BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:28:49 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
And I don't plan on selling my collection (except for a few bad storylines/issues here or there).

So pretty much everything from the last 5 years then Tongue

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

outcast
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:52:49 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

What makes The Brave and the Bold #33 (June 2010) such a hot commodity? Following a local sale, it's the only issue of the run that I lack. Chuck R has an eye-popping price of $115.20 on his VF copy (and yeah, it's Chuck, and yeah, I can wait for a sale, but still...). Even on CCL, it's a $15 item. What happens in this issue?

lbej
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:05:18 AM

Groups: Member, Moderator

outcast wrote:
What makes The Brave and the Bold #33 (June 2010) such a hot commodity? Following a local sale, it's the only issue of the run that I lack. Chuck R has an eye-popping price of $115.20 on his VF copy (and yeah, it's Chuck, and yeah, I can wait for a sale, but still...). Even on CCL, it's a $15 item. What happens in this issue?

It's a prequel to The Killing Joke. It wasn't advertised as that, and so it had a very low print run.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
CrossbowComics
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:43:00 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:

I have a few copies of that issue, just haven't gotten around to listing them yet. Check back in a week if you like, there will be front & back scans so click on item details. I tend to ignore prices on here & go by MyComicShop, they have a NM for $22, if I had a VF I'd probably price it in the low teens.

Doug at Treehouse

also top rated plus with all 5.0's as ideaman33
grading guaranteed within 1/2 point
outcast
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:15:47 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Thanks to Ibej, and to CrossbowComics, for your kind responses.
chiller67
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:27:30 PM

It's a great comic. It will bring a tear to your eye, honestly. Set just before the events of Killing Joke.
freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:31:09 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

CrossbowComics wrote:
I tend to ignore prices on here & go by MyComicShop, they have a NM for $22, if I had a VF I'd probably price it in the low teens.

Doug at Treehouse

WHAT?? Confused
Mycomicshop is almost as bad as milehigh with super inflated prices. A lot of the middle road stuff is priced right but if its ultra rare or HTF they jack up price through the roof. The are still selling the ASM #620 Deadpool variant for over $300 and its topped out at $60 on ebay.

lbej
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:29:54 AM

Groups: Member, Moderator

freakdylan wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
I tend to ignore prices on here & go by MyComicShop, they have a NM for $22, if I had a VF I'd probably price it in the low teens.

Doug at Treehouse

WHAT?? Confused
Mycomicshop is almost as bad as milehigh with super inflated prices. A lot of the middle road stuff is priced right but if its ultra rare or HTF they jack up price through the roof. The are still selling the ASM #620 Deadpool variant for over $300 and its topped out at $60 on ebay.

It depends on what you're looking for. Both mycomicshop and MHC are overpriced on most key moderns, but MHC is higher, even after the routine 50%-60% discounts are factored in. I got the Journey into Mystery #647 1:50 variant on mycomicshop for $6 last week, and Mile High lists it for $128(!). I've never seen it on CCL, unfortunately, and it eBays in the $25-$30 range. I've gotten really good deals on some books from MHC (after discount), but not nearly as many as from mycomicshop or CCL sellers. I was able to fill out my collection of Awesome Comics (Rob Liefeld's old company) variants at great prices on MHC, I'll give them that. MHC is also WAY overpriced on low grade Silver Age DC (what I'm buying now), and mycomicshop is reliably cheap.

From my perspective as a buyer, CCL is my first stop, mycomicshop is 2nd, and then I'll look at MHC (and probably leave disgusted). Hot books are overpriced everywhere, and mycomicshop and MHC are both just trying to stay ahead of eBay.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
freakdylan
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:01:20 AM

lbej wrote:
It depends on what you're looking for. Both mycomicshop and MHC are overpriced on most key moderns, but MHC is higher, even after the routine 50%-60% discounts are factored in. I got the Journey into Mystery #647 1:50 variant on mycomicshop for $6 last week, and Mile High lists it for $128(!). I've never seen it on CCL, unfortunately, and it eBays in the $25-$30 range. I've gotten really good deals on some books from MHC (after discount), but not nearly as many as from mycomicshop or CCL sellers. I was able to fill out my collection of Awesome Comics (Rob Liefeld's old company) variants at great prices on MHC, I'll give them that. MHC is also WAY overpriced on low grade Silver Age DC (what I'm buying now), and mycomicshop is reliably cheap.

From my perspective as a buyer, CCL is my first stop, mycomicshop is 2nd, and then I'll look at MHC (and probably leave disgusted). Hot books are overpriced everywhere, and mycomicshop and MHC are both just trying to stay ahead of eBay.

I agree 100% on everything you said, just pointing out wouldnt use either MHC or MCS as a reference for pricing. If anything I would use ebays "Sold auctions" as a guide. When I add stuff to my ebay store I always average out the last 6 items sold on ebay, 3 auctions and 3 BUY IT NOWS.

Hopefully on the new CCL (lol) it will have a better "analysis" section that shows past sales by date etc.

CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:17:16 AM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
lbej wrote:

I agree 100% on everything you said, just pointing out wouldnt use either MHC or MCS as a reference for pricing. If anything I would use ebays "Sold auctions" as a guide. When I add stuff to my ebay store I always average out the last 6 items sold on ebay, 3 auctions and 3 BUY IT NOWS.

Hopefully on the new CCL (lol) it will have a better "analysis" section that shows past sales by date etc.

You are right Dylan, completed listings are the best source of pricing info, it's a little time consuming though, as a quick reference Mycomicshop comes in handy.

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 1:11:47 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Sorry to continue the derail.

lbej wrote:
From my perspective as a buyer, CCL is my first stop, mycomicshop is 2nd, and then I'll look at MHC (and probably leave disgusted).

Same here (although I won't even bother with milehigh anymore).

I just picked up a ton of bronze and modern age books from mycomicshop last month that were all harder to find books at an average price of $2 each. Mostly stuff I haven't seen on CCL at all or if it is, is wildy overpriced by a couple stores I would never give a dime to. Even the stuff that's too expensive for my limits is priced about where I would expect it.

Heck, I got a 1:50 variant a mycomicshop with that order. Something I would never usually buy. milehigh is advertising it for $128(!!!?!?) and here it's $45-50 is being asked (but none have sold). At mycomicshop, I got it in spectacular condition for $8.

So, even after a 50% sale at milhigh, I'd still need another $15 off to get to CCL's price and another 87.75% to get to mycomicshop's price.

As far as pricing on any book, it'd be ideal to check out what folks are asking for here and what the highs and lows have been, check out mycomicshop since most of their stuff is about the same and sometimes less and take a look at eBay. But nothing is perfect and nothing is exact. eBay has huge price swings in single days depending on the auction or buy it now. And sometimes mycomicshop only has consignment stuff which is always ridiculously priced and should be ignored. And I'd say milehigh should always be ignored.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
kidlippy
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:53:56 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
I sure as hell want to see prices go down more. I'm a buyer, not a seller. And I don't plan on selling my collection (except for a few bad storylines/issues here or there).

I'm the same way. I enjoy buying my comics and reading them and putting them away. I'm sure my wife would love for me to sell most of them. Laughing
Never even thought about selling them. I'm even looking for old comics I read as a child just for the sake of having them.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

Kingsman
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:03:51 PM

Any thoughts? . . . ideas? . . . or sarcastic comments?

kidlippy
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:49:47 PM

On Boxing Day, a comic store (that I don't go to) was having a 50% off everything in the store sale. I've gone there in the past but the prices on the merchandises always turns me off. With this 50% off everything, I thought I can get some issues I need for my Spider-Man collection. Now I don't know much about grading and such on back issues, but I do know how to read a price guide. I found the Amazing Spider-Man cabinets and just randomly picked a location where to start. First comic I looked at was Amazing Spider-Man 379 (Maximum Carnage story). I already had this issue but looked at the price. $35!!! Going by my LCS I go to, they charge in the $2 to $3 range for this issue. I put it back and made my way to the door. I was stopped by the owner and I told him why I was leaving. I told him his prices were ridiculous (with cursing). He said that's the price that series is going for. I smiled and walked away.

Going by every price guide and online site I see, the series isn't even close to that price.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

CrossbowComics
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:22:36 PM

Shop at My Store

kidlippy wrote:
On Boxing Day, a comic store (that I don't go to) was having a 50% off everything in the store sale. I've gone there in the past but the prices on the merchandises always turns me off. With this 50% off everything, I thought I can get some issues I need for my Spider-Man collection. Now I don't know much about grading and such on back issues, but I do know how to read a price guide. I found the Amazing Spider-Man cabinets and just randomly picked a location where to start. First comic I looked at was Amazing Spider-Man 379 (Maximum Carnage story). I already had this issue but looked at the price. $35!!! Going by my LCS I go to, they charge in the $2 to $3 range for this issue. I put it back and made my way to the door. I was stopped by the owner and I told him why I was leaving. I told him his prices were ridiculous (with cursing). He said that's the price that series is going for. I smiled and walked away.

Going by every price guide and online site I see, the series isn't even close to that price.

The only possible logic to that price is Mile High lists the newstand version of that book for $38 in NM. Chuck seems to be the only one that thinks these newstand versions are worth so much.

rook68
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:54:18 PM

kidlippy wrote:

That's why it's still sitting there in that comic shop. You did good walking out. No comic shop makes money with their comics collecting dust. Applause

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:11:00 PM

Shop at My Store

Kingsman wrote:
Any thoughts? . . . ideas? . . . or sarcastic comments?

Three for sale on ebay one for $1.15, one for $4.99 and one for $11.99. Looks all over the place.