Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » DC Characters » When did Batman go from Silver Age silly to Bronze Age serious?

When did Batman go from Silver Age silly to Bronze Age serious?

lcfrick
Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:21:46 PM
Groups: Member
So earlier this year I decided to expand my Batman collection from post-crisis back to when Green Arrow (Dad is a huge fan, which was the catalyst) started as the back-up on the title (adding Detective 521 through 574 and Batman 355 though 400), but while hunting for those issues I noticed a lot of earlier issues of those titles were around the same price I was looking for ($5). So over the weekend I decided, "What the heck, I'll move back another ~50 issues in each title to Detective 477 and Batman 300 since that's a good cutoff before they start to go up in average price."

But now that I've had even more time to think about it, I've accepted that eventually I'm going to start wanting to go all the way back to the point where Batman went from being the campy Adam West Silver Age Batman to the darker more modern Batman. (And I know this is going to open up all the fun of trying to pick up the expensive first appearances of Ra's and Talia Al Ghul, plus Man-Bat and a slew of iconic covers and Joker stories.)

The problem is that it's really hard to find that one point in Batman and Detective Comics where it starts to make that transition (and admittedly there flat out may not be a good one.)

Issue #200 of Batman and Detective #372 seem like pretty easy points for as early as it could be, since those were issues that were published after the last episode of the TV show in March of 1968 (Batman #199 is decidedly silly with Batman trying to buy an issue of his own comic and Detective #371 is also with the cover having Batgirl complaining about a run in her tights.)

The high-end seems to pretty easy to figure too, going with Dennis O'Neil's first issues on Batman #224 and Detective #395.

So that narrows it down to a two year range and ~24 issues of each. Does anyone happen to have any issues in that range that can tell me just how silly or serious they are?