Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL News » CCL News and Events » 17 Days until the new Sales Tax Laws take affect. January 1st

17 Days until the new Sales Tax Laws take affect. January 1st

monidaw1
Thursday, October 04, 2018 12:20:52 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
CCL appears to be unaware of them.

Quote:
As you may know, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of South Dakota in June 2018, which removed the requirement that certain retailers have a physical presence in a state in order for that state to impose sales tax obligations on these retailers.

Some states have extended the tax collection obligation to marketplaces. We believe this ruling is unfair to small businesses and will continue to call for greater simplicity. In the meantime, we’re working to find the best way to support our sellers.

What this means for eBay sellers: Regardless of where you’re physically located, if you sell to buyers in certain states, those states may require you to collect applicable taxes on your transactions.

Therefore, based on these new laws, we will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax for orders shipped to customers in the following states on the following schedule:

Washington—starting Jan 1, 2019
Pennsylvania— starting July 1, 2019
Oklahoma—starting July 1, 2019

Once we start collecting tax in these states, you do not need to take any action. There are no extra charges or fees for this service. Prior to these dates, please continue to collect and remit tax in these states and comply with any other applicable requirements they impose.

There are no opt-outs for selling items into the states listed above, or out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax for items shipped to the states above.

Additional states will likely be added to the above list. Stay informed on the Help pages.

Will CCL be collecting Sales Tax for those States or do we have to start declining sales to those states or is there another option?

Another issue I've mentioned in the past.

When an order or message comes in, a box pops up on the bottom right hand corner.

We click it and it takes us directly to the order details page.

Nowhere on the Order Details is their any breakdown to show if taxes or additional fee's were paid. To find that out we have to actually click back out to the main page that lists all the orders.

It makes it easy to miss if someone did or didn't pay extra and now it's appearing to be on the way to becoming a daily need.

1. I would prefer CCL automatically apply Sales Tax to orders for States it's required for instead of hoping customers will voluntarily. It costs an extra 30 or more cent base charge at PayPal to have to invoice seperatly after the fact while delaying shipping.

2. I wouldn't mind seeing CCL collect it as part of the Seller Fee's to distibute to the States directly as long as you fix the checkout to automatically apply it to the sales total.

3. I'm assuming you're going to continue charging 5% of what we're forced to collect in Sales Tax and shipping charges as sales commissions.

Just for clarification purposes, is the Sales Tax going to be required to be charged based on the State in the Shipping address or the State the member set up their PayPal as home residence?

Any word on how long it's going to take before States start wanting Sales Tax on OUTGOING sales as well as INCOMING resulting in DOUBLE TAXATION? They already do something like that with outgoing and incoming tariffs between countries which should start to show up in more noticable price increases for Action figures and such coming out of China based on Trumps last round of increases having nowhere else to be applied to.. I'm starting to think everything not in print Diamond supplies comes from there. They even have a permanent link called "Toys On The Water" so we know what's dodging hurricanes and typhoons.

There's a discussion on Database Brand A at least providing snipets of what's less than 90 days away. Apparently as few as 200 transactions forces you to have to collect and pay which that's not a lot for some of the bigger traffic states like PA, NY, CA, TX, NC and OK. Here's what another sites staff seems to think.
Quote:
Posted - 09/27/2018 : 11:11:51

The short answer is, we're going to have to see how this all shakes out. Nobody can know what the ultimate effect of all this is--but the idea of small sellers having to deal with the approximately 10,000 sales tax jurisdictions in the country is absolutely insane. At its worst, it has the possibility of being an extinction-level-event for small businesses who sell online, not to put too fine a point on it. This is a solution which absolutely demands some sort of sensible rulemaking--fast.

All this an we can't even get a We're aware of the situtation and considering options reply here.

Do the E-Bay sales for each State count towards the 200 each stores limited to staying under even though they're collecting and filing for those. Is it 200 plus whatever E-bay handles or does 80 Sales from a State on CCL along with 15 direct sales put us over if E-Bay had 112?

Additional questions, here in VA the Sales Tax is usually a State amount like 4.5% and another 1% added for Local Sales Tax. How are we to know in other States wether to charge the base amount for the State itself or an extra amount for the area inside the State the buyer is from? Here in VA I just charge a flat 5.5% just like I do with walk-ins.

Can CCL provide an official and regularly updated list of which States are going to require Sales Tax on INCOMING shipments and when they begin so we can at least start declining sales from those States while we wait for a better option here? An official version here would be much better than hoping to find out the info at other market places.
padreglcc
Thursday, October 04, 2018 3:12:52 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Have you directly contacted Joe or Steve regarding this? (By "directly" I mean, by phone or email, not through PM or forum post.)
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
KnifeTricks
Monday, October 08, 2018 9:52:50 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Subscriber
Monidaw, your suggestions have been noted. We will monitor the incoming tax changes and see if there's anything that needs to be done on our end.

Chance Butler
Graphics

e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
monidaw1
Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:54:01 PM
Shop at My Store
Iowa, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Ohio, and Rhode Island, have adopted similar laws.
https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2018/06/iowa-to-tax-remotesalesservicesanddigitalgoodsstartingjanuary201.html

Quote:
Also, as of January 1, a retailer is considered to be doing business in Iowa and subject to the sales and use tax laws if in the current or immediately preceding calendar year that retailer:
Has gross revenue from Iowa sales equal to or exceeding $100,000; or
Makes Iowa sales in 200 or more separate transactions.

Quote:
The department may also impose penalties on sellers that fail to comply with the notice and reporting requirements, provided the penalty can be waived upon a showing of reasonable cause for the failure. The penalty for failure to provide the necessary notification to a purchaser may not exceed $5 per failure; the penalty for failure to provide a periodic report of purchases to the purchaser may not exceed $10 per failure; and the penalty for failure to provide the department with an annual report may not exceed $10 "multiplied by the number of purchasers for whom informaiton should have been but was not included in the annual report."

Quote:
Tax on specified digital goods and services
The following digital goods and services will be subject to sales and use tax as of January 1, 2019:
Digital audio works (e.g., music, ringtones)
Digital audiovisual works
Digital books
“Other digital products”
Information services
Software as a Service
Services related to enhancing, installing, maintaining, operating, repairing, servicing, or upgrading specified digital products
The storage of tangible or electronic documents, files, or records

I'm not computer literate but isn't CCL providing Software to these states "as a Service"?

Quote:
Tax on services
The following services will also be taxed as of January 1:
Pay television, including but not limited to streaming video, on-demand video, and pay-per-view
Personal transportation services, including but not limited to driver services, ride-share services, rides for hire, and taxis
Photography and retouching services
Subscription services

I'm assuming that's generic enough to include comic book subscriptions and daterbase software yearly subscriptions.

How many States is that now? I'm sure it's going to be more than just 8 I've stumbled across so far.

Quote:
Have you directly contacted Joe or Steve regarding this? (By "directly" I mean, by phone or email, not through PM or forum post.)

I have no desire to have private discussions about topics that potentially affect every single seller, buyer and subscriber. I'm assuming they would agree since they created this option for communicating with them openly and publically, intentionally. I've just never understood how it can be left unchecked for days or weeks at a time. I feel like all these cell phone games are ruining customer service and response times.
monidaw1
Friday, December 14, 2018 9:46:00 AM
Shop at My Store
West Virginia joins the herd January 1st

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2018/10/west-virginia-to-tax-remote-sales-starting-january-1-2019.html

Quote:
Seven states already are imposing the new rules on out-of-state online and catalog sellers and ten will start on Oct 1. Two others will require collections or reporting later this year, and four more will do so starting Jan 1, 2019. States not only are beginning to collect the tax, they even are deciding how to spend the money—mostly by reducing sales or other tax rates.

The backstory
The biggest remaining uncertainty is what several of the largest states will do. California, New York, Texas, Maryland, Florida and Ohio have yet to act but are likely to do so once their legislatures return in January.

That's from a Forbes article.
monidaw1
Friday, December 14, 2018 9:54:13 AM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
Starting January 1, 2019, Minnesota will be joining the list of states where eBay will be collecting sales tax on applicable transactions.

We’re committed to supporting any sellers who have been affected by the June 2018 Supreme Court decision, which changed the rules around how Internet Sales Tax is administered.

What the ruling means for you: Regardless of your physical location, if you sell to buyers in certain states, those states may require you to collect applicable taxes on transactions.

Some states have extended the tax collection obligation to marketplaces. We believe this ruling is unfair to small businesses and will continue to find the best way to support and advocate for our sellers.

Based on these new laws, we will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax for applicable orders shipped to customers in the following states:
Washington—starting January 1, 2019
Minnesota—starting January 1, 2019
Pennsylvania— starting July 1, 2019
Oklahoma—starting July 1, 2019

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Ongoing-Changes-in-How-Internet-Sales-Tax-May-Impact-Your/ba-p/29124500

monidaw1
Friday, December 14, 2018 10:02:14 AM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
New taxes on e-commerce sales went into effect Monday in 10 states, making online shopping a little more costly for many consumers.
A Supreme Court ruling in June gave states the green light to impose sales taxes on e-commerce companies, even if they don’t have stores or warehouses within the state’s borders. The case, South Dakota vs. Wayfair, made it likely that consumers would pay more for online purchases from out-of-state retailers.
Several states, including Hawaii, Tennessee and Vermont, began collecting online sales taxes in July, according to the Tax Foundation . Mississippi’s taxes took effect in September.

On Oct. 1, online sales taxes arrived in 10 more states: Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Washington and Wisconsin.

Colorado announced last month that it will begin requiring e-commerce businesses to collect sales taxes on Nov. 1, joining North Carolina. Connecticut’s online sales taxes begin Dec. 1. Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Nebraska and Utah plan to start the clock on internet sales taxes on Jan. 1, 2019, the Tax Foundation said.
In most states, new online sales taxes apply to companies with a minimum amount of annual sales revenue or transactions in the state. For example, Michigan said online retailers with sales exceeding $100,000 or 200 transactions with Michigan consumers would be subject to sales taxes.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/online-sales-taxes-take-effect-in-these-states

According to this article from Fox Business some States already require it even though 200 transactions this late in the year may not be possible to make it required.

Does anyone have a complete and accurate list of which States are doing what and when? Every time I look I see a larger number starting and dates all over the place..