Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Change Request Discussion » Magazine vs. Comic Book vs....Graphic Novel?

Magazine vs. Comic Book vs....Graphic Novel?

Thundercron
Thursday, December 06, 2018 12:14:46 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I've been trying to submit a lot of oddball magazines into the database lately, so I thought I would get the official word on the difference between a magazine and a comic. I understand that the definition of a magazine in the database differs from that of most people. To me, anything that is the size of a magazine is called a....magazine. CCL calls anything with comic-style story and art a comic book. So consequently you'll find books like Savage Sword of Conan, Conan Saga, and a pretty much all of Marvel's magazine titles from the 70's listed under comic book, while the rest of humanity refers to them as magazines.

Got it. Lately, though, I've been submitting some magazine-size fanzines into the database. These consist wholly of comic strip reprints. So are those considered comic books, too? I ask because when I submitted Illustrated Tarzan Books into the database, one of the approvers suggested it be listed as a graphic novel. HUH??? It's a stapled together, magazine-size fanzine of strip reprints. So how does that work? It's still pending, so some clarification would be great.

Then there are the Rock-It Comix from Malibu I have. One title (Pantera), already had a title slot in the database (although no issue to fill it yet). It's listed as a magazine. I noticed that just over half the contents are story and art, with the rest being articles and photos. So should this be a comic book? How much story and art is needed for it to be considered one or the other? I ask because I also have another Rock-It title (Santana), that I just listed. The content ratio is the same as the other issue, so I need to know if I have to change the default on that from comic book to magazine. Whatever is decided, I certainly don't want them listed differently from each other in the database.

Thoughts?
padreglcc
Thursday, December 06, 2018 1:20:35 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
The Graphic Novel comment was from me and I just had a brain-fart moment. I agree that the Tarzan book should be a comic and it has now been approved.

The Rock-It books, I'm a little torn on. Are they comic sized or magazine sized? Is the book divided half and half between art and interviews, or is it interspersed?
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
Tamwood
Thursday, December 06, 2018 1:54:43 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
I've been arguing forever that the Warren books need to be comics. It hasn't gotten anywhere.
Thundercron
Thursday, December 06, 2018 2:10:46 PM
Shop at My Store
padreglcc wrote:
The Graphic Novel comment was from me and I just had a brain-fart moment. I agree that the Tarzan book should be a comic and it has now been approved.

The Rock-It books, I'm a little torn on. Are they comic sized or magazine sized? Is the book divided half and half between art and interviews, or is it interspersed?

They are magazine size. First half is comic story and art, the second half is photos and interviews. Not interspersed.
Thundercron
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:46:22 PM
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

They are magazine size. First half is comic story and art, the second half is photos and interviews. Not interspersed.

Any consensus reached on the Rock It Comix?
padreglcc
Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:55:01 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
I think they can be added as either. If they're oversize and split format, I'm okay with them being magazines.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.