Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » The NFL Season is here - Chatter
6 pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
monidaw1
Sunday, November 18, 2018 6:44:16 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Quote:
Joe Theismann broke his right tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 1985 in a game in Washington that ended 23-21. The only three-time Defensive Player of the Year Lawrence Taylor was involved in the injury, which occurred around the 40-yard line.

Alex Smith broke his right tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 2018 in a game in Washington that ended 23-21. The only other three-time Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt was involved in the injury, which occurred around the 40-yard line.

Rain

I was watching the game 33 years ago when it happened. Thankfully they didn't replay this one 30 times while he was getting carted off.

Only question left this year is does Colt have enough gunslinger left in him to at least get one playoff game appearence. Someone has to end the season at number 8 and that would be huge compared to some of the preseason predictions in the upper 20's to 30 range. Hopefully they'll at least be entertaining the rest of the way.
MoonKnight1
Friday, November 23, 2018 12:04:38 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
The New Orleans Saints have been outright demolishing the NFC East this year.

They started off by taking the Giants out by fifteen points. That was followed up by the 24 point drubbing they gave the Redskins on national TV which was exacerbated by the game actually being halted for like a half an hour so the NFL could parade Drew Brees around the stadium, immediately induct him into the Hall of Fame and have a sculptor chisel out a life sized statue of him at midfield. Then last week they pounded the Eagles into the ground with a 48-7 beat down that wasn't even that close. Drew was tossing 40 yard TD's in the fourth quarter with a 30+ point lead.

If you're following along at home you know where this is going. Winking

Next week the New Orleans Saints play the Dallas Cowboys and it is my fervent desire that they whip the tar out of the 'Bags so hard that they lose all will to continue. I'm thinking 100-2 with the safety coming at the very end of the game when the Saints punter (if they even have one Confused ) runs around in circles to drain the clock before sprinting through the back of the end zone.

Angry
Quality. Consistency. Variety. Reliable. Fair. Friendly

Howie's Saying of the Week

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still - Chinese Proverb

Take a look at my eBay Store! Hall Liquidations
jbeeman85
Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:37:21 AM
Groups: Member
Some outside from Titan fanvision observer help me out here.

I always hear about how the Titans have an amazing offensive line. While to me it seems that the running backs never have any room, the QB is running for his life, and when there is a decent play the big money guys (mostly Lewan) have done something stupid to get the play called back. So, do they have a good line or is it actually the porous joke I see it as ?

Also, am I expecting too much out of Derrick Henry ? He's this humongous Heisman Trophy winning running back. Yet, to me, it seems he can't break a tackle going down on first contact. Seems to me that a 6'3" 250lb dude be more intimidating a runner that a guy that's 5'8" 190lbs. I will freely admit I expect a ton out of Henry and that he pretty much has to be amazing for me to get past the disgusting stain of Alabama on him.

EDIT: As I posted this, checked the stats on ESPN for Henry and Lewis and they're pretty similar. But still, Henry should be much better than he is, guess it goes back to my first complaint with the line.

I'm just annoyed with football, stupid Vols playing with no heart losing 5 out of the last 7 to flipping Vanderbilt Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Wall Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Oh well, GO PREDS !!!!!!!!!!
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, November 28, 2018 11:03:31 AM
Shop at My Store
I was going to try and be funny about this but I just can't. Anyone who knows me will know where I come down on this but here we go anyway.

I have never been as disgusted, outraged and embarrassed to be a Redskins fan than I am right now. Dan Snyder, Bruce Allen and Doug Williams should be ashamed of themselves. Dan and Bruce I get, they're money grubbing a-holes who don't give two (censored) about morals or ethics as long as the cash keeps coming in. I am very disappointed in Doug Williams, a man who I have (used to have) great respect and admiration for. Can't say that anymore. His statement was ludicrous and contradictory. If you haven't read it yet then here it is in it's entirety:

"Today we have claimed the rights to LB Reuben Foster. The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben. If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone. Let me be clear, Reuben will have to go through numerous steps including the full legal process, an investigation and potential discipline from the NFL, as well as meetings with counselors associated with the team before he will ever have the opportunity to wear the Burgundy and Gold as a player. That being said, we decided to investigate the situation with Reuben further by claiming his rights after candid conversations with a number of his ex-Alabama teammates and current Redskins players who were overwhelmingly supportive of us taking this chance. Nothing is promised to Reuben, but we are hopeful being around so many of his former teammates and friends will eventually provide him with the best possible environment to succeed both personally and professionally."

First of all, I would laugh at that preposterous bullcrap if I wasn't crying. Let me break this down bit by bit.

"The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben" - Not True. If you fully understood the severity of the allegations you would not have signed him.

"If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone" - This is a two-parter - 1) If True? They're basically calling the accuser a liar. 2) Our organization will not condone violence against women. Really? Does Junior Gallette or Caleb Brantley want any of that? Once again, Not True

"best possible environment to succeed both personally and professionally" - Hate to say it, but another Not True. The Best Possible Environment for that piece of human excrement is in a jail cell or maybe working as a bouncer for the local strip joint. Yes, this is a forgiving country for the most part and people should be given a second chance but c'mon, this d-bag has already had 4 chances this year! And now he's actually being rewarded for his malfeasance by getting released from a bad team and getting picked up be a potential playoff bound team. This one also needs some translation. Here's what they meant to say, "We don't give a flying rats ass what Reuben Foster does off the field as long as he helps us get into the playoffs."

There's an old saying, "Where there's smoke there's usually fire." Well, Foster is a raging inferno. Hey, I'm not going to say that I've never been arrested. I will say that I've never been arrested three times in less than a year. The guy has had five altercations with the law in ten months. Most people don't get in trouble that much in their entire life much less a calendar year. Let's not forget that 2018 isn't over yet so he can actually add to his total.

I cannot imagine how anyone in the Washington Redskins organization could actually believe that this was a good signing. There is no upside in my opinion. Sure it's possible that the scumbag might eventually play a down or two, sack a QB and make a few tackles but what kind of message are you sending that you are perfectly willing to overlook heinous behavior to win a stupid football game. Man, I'm (banned).

Well, that's all I got. I just hope that he gets banned by the NFL and spends some time behind bars so he can reflect on his poor choices. Maybe stop beating up women? That would be a good start.

Now I won't be too upset on Monday Night when the Eagles humiliate the Skins like always happens on MNF. I hope they drag Snyder back and forth through the mud all night long. Show his stupid, sanctimonious face and call him out for being a hypocritical POS.

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still - Chinese Proverb

jbeeman85
Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:48:55 PM
Winning is all that matters to most owners. They will overlook all kinds of nonsense if he's a good player (.....Ray Lewis ......cough cough).

Wasn't Foster also the dude that tattooed the Auburn logo to his arm but decided to play for Alabama ?
MoonKnight1
Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:10:51 PM
Shop at My Store
This is how I envision it:

NFL Owner (Insert Name) speaking to potential Player #1

Owner: So, you have been arrested 3 times since February, twice for domestic violence, you have been found with illegal guns and drugs and you have also been pulled over for drinking and driving. Is this correct?

Player: Yes, it is.

Owner: Hmm, it also says here that you are a good tackler, can cover the running back out of the backfield and are supposed to be good at sacking the QB even though you haven't done it since college. That right?

Player: Yes, it is.

Owner: Good enough for me! Get in here, go get yourself a jersey!

Owner: Send in Player #2

Player #2 enters.

Owner: Let's see, multiple accusations of domestic violence, you broke a DJ's face in a night club, driving more than 30 miles per hour over the speed limit, pulled a woman's shirt down at a St Patty's Day parade, disorderly conduct, assault, battery. Can this all be true?

Player: Yep!

Owner: OK what do your stats look like? Oh wow, average more than 100 yards a game rushing and score a dozen TD's a year! Welcome, Son! C'mon in!

Player #3 enters.

Owner: What an impressive resume! You have completed 60% of your passes, have a great TD/INT ratio, you're mobile and run well in the open field and you led your team to the Super Bowl? Fantastic!

I'm sure we can find a spot for you on the roster real soo-, uh oh. Are you the guy who kneels for the National Anthem?

Player: Yes, Sir. I am trying to bring attention to racial inequities and engage my fellow Americans in a peaceful and honest discussion about what we can do to bring us together as a nation and as a people.

Owner: Get Out Of My Office and go back to Russia you pinko, Commie bastard! No way in Hell I'm ever going to have someone on my team who hates the military, policemen, first responders, teachers, democracy, the USA and the flag. Now beat it before I call security. If you start running now you might not get tased.

If you will excuse me, I've got to go to a press conference so I can introduce our new women beating, drug using, drinking and driving, illegal gun toting, thug-like bullies.

MoonKnight1
Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:53:10 PM
Shop at My Store
Oh, speaking of players kneeling for the Anthem do you think it's just a coincidence that Eric Reed has been "randomly" drug tested in 5 out of 8 weeks? Think

MoonKnight1
Saturday, December 01, 2018 11:52:05 AM
Shop at My Store
KC has released Kareem Hunt because of a video that just surfaced of him punching a woman, tackling her and then kicking her while she's lying on the floor.

My guess is the only reason Dan Snyder hasn't signed him yet is because Danny Boy dislocated his shoulder trying to reach for his wallet too fast.

lcfrick
Saturday, December 01, 2018 12:31:05 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
KC has released Kareem Hunt because of a video that just surfaced of him punching a woman, tackling her and then kicking her while she's lying on the floor.

My guess is the only reason Dan Snyder hasn't signed him yet is because Danny Boy dislocated his shoulder trying to reach for his wallet too fast.

My first thought when I heard this was the Redskins might as well claim him off of waivers since they can't really look much worse after claiming Foster.

But yeah, Hunt totally got Ray Rice'd. You know that someone was sitting on this video for months just waiting for the right time to sell it to TMZ. Maybe a Raiders or Ravens fan, or more likely just someone that knew they could cash in the most after news of Foster's arrest. (iirc, there are another player that had just been suspended earlier in the week for domestic abuse as well before the Ray Rice video was released.)

It's hard to think that Hunt won't end up somewhere next year after serving however many games he gets suspended for (after all, the NFL has a policy in place for this now and he was never charged with a crime, so there's a maximum on how many games they can suspend him for without facing a challenge from the NFLPA). He led the NFL in rushing last year, was top 5 this year, and contributed significantly as a receiver and returner. Domestic abuse isn't as politically inconvenient as protesting the national anthem is. (Sad, but true)
bluedevil2002
Tuesday, December 04, 2018 8:04:21 AM
I think we can stick a fork in the Redskins. Two QBs, two broken legs. The most injuries in the NFL (again), maybe it's time for a new conditioning staff?

What QBs are on the market to back up Butt Fumble?

Maybe the NFL has finally learned to not put them on Monday nights?
lcfrick
Tuesday, December 04, 2018 12:21:46 PM
Boy, the Redskins really screwed the pooch for next season, didn't they? If they had just passed on Reuben Foster then they could have claimed Kareem Hunt off of waivers and gotten a much better player for all of the outrage they received.

Side note: I am pumped for the Ravens/Chiefs game this Sunday. I'm keeping an eye on ticket prices and I'm hoping for a big drop in the 24 hours before the game that would enable me to get a pretty good seat on the Ravens sideline.

It's not often that the #1 scoring offense and the #1 scoring defense meet and if the Ravens get Flacco back, that could be a really dangerous offense. Flacco with the deep ball to get the lead and Jackson with the ball-control offense to salt the game away.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, December 05, 2018 6:12:18 PM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
Maybe the NFL has finally learned to not put them on Monday nights?

No. They do that on purpose. The NFL hates the Redskins and Dan Snyder and will do anything they can to prove it.

The Redskins have played on MNF 14 times since 2010. The only team that has been in more is the Bears with 16. Washington is 2-12 in those games for a .143 winning percentage. The only two teams with a worse record on MNF are the Bills 0-3 and the Browns 0-1. The only reason they keep getting put there is because the league likes them to lose.

I would not be surprised to see the Skins get 3 MNF games next year. They will probably have to play both games of the season opening double header. On the road. Wall

Ugh.

Anyway, they have a new quarterback!

Has anyone ever heard of Josh Johnson? I had to look him up. Here is a brief summary of his football experience:

Remarkable college career at the University of San Diego - 9,700 passing yards, 113 TDs to 15 INTs, 68% completion percentage, 1,900 rushing yards and 19 rushing TDs.

Drafted by Tampa Bay in 2008. In his first career start he lost to the Washington Redskins. In 4 years with the Bucs he started 5 games (doesn't appear to have won any of them), threw 5 TDs and 10 INTs. averaged more than 6 yards per rush and a 54% completion percentage.

2012 - Signed with the 49ers in the off-season didn't make the cut after training camp. Played for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League. Signed by the Browns in December. In his only appearance for Cleveland, in his only snap, he was sacked and fumbled the ball away.

2013-2018: He bounced around on practice squads and was rarely, if ever, on the active gameday roster for the following teams:

Cincinnati
San Francisco (again)
Cincinnati (again)
New York Jets
Indianapolis
Buffalo
Baltimore
New York Giants
Houston
Oakland
San Diego Fleet

Wait, the who did what in the where now? Who in the hell are the San Diego Fleet? Are they talking about the US Navy? Oh, wait a minute. It's the San Diego Fleet of the Alliance of American Football (AAF). How could I have forgotten?

Now he's a Mark Sanchez fractured fibula away from starting against the Jaguars, or the Titans, or the Eagles...Well I guess he won't have to worry about starting a playoff game.

I suppose he was the best player available at that position. I'm racking my brain trying to think if there was possibly a Quarterback just sitting around somewhere waiting to be signed who led his team to 2 NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl but I guess not.

Jay Gruden said that Colin Kaepernick wouldn't fit into our offense. The 27th ranked offense out of 28 teams and that guy's not a good fit but Josh Johnson is?

bluedevil2002
Wednesday, December 05, 2018 6:41:04 PM
They showed a list of QBs that worked out for the Redskins when Alex Smith got hurt, and the only other name I recognized was EJ Manuel.
lcfrick
Friday, December 07, 2018 12:45:47 AM
Given how the Jaguars got their safety against the Titans tonight... I can't not bring this up this gem from 2013... ALSO by the Titans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY7E8ES9ubM&t=6m31s

(Can't be too sore, though, since the Titans still won both games.)
jbeeman85
Friday, December 07, 2018 8:52:19 AM
lcfrick wrote:
Given how the Jaguars got their safety against the Titans tonight... I can't not bring this up this gem from 2013... ALSO by the Titans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY7E8ES9ubM&t=6m31s

(Can't be too sore, though, since the Titans still won both games.)

That Steelers game with genius trying to bet a touchback after leaving endzone was from the first week of the inaugural Howie football competition. Also the only time I did not pick the Titans to win. The season kinda went downhill after that.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, December 09, 2018 12:14:33 PM
Shop at My Store
I love how everyone is talking junk about Mark Sanchez like he's some scrub backup. I know it's been a while but do these people remember that he actually isn't that bad?

Two facts about Sanchez:

1 - He has a career record in the playoffs of 4-2. In the 2010 playoffs, in consecutive weeks, he beat Peyton Manning and the Colts in Indianapolis and Tom Brady's Patriots in Boston. How many QB's have done that?

2 - Did I mention that he did that with the New York Football Jets? The Jets. He won four playoff games with the Jets. He took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games. I'm not making this up. The Jets.

If it sounds like I'm giving a pep talk then that's probably what it is. Daydreaming

Haven't changed my Lock Pick. Yet...Nailbiting

lcfrick
Sunday, December 09, 2018 12:50:15 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I love how everyone is talking junk about Mark Sanchez like he's some scrub backup. I know it's been a while but do these people remember that he actually isn't that bad?

Two facts about Sanchez:

1 - He has a career record in the playoffs of 4-2. In the 2010 playoffs, in consecutive weeks, he beat Peyton Manning and the Colts in Indianapolis and Tom Brady's Patriots in Boston. How many QB's have done that?

2 - Did I mention that he did that with the New York Football Jets? The Jets. He won four playoff games with the Jets. He took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games. I'm not making this up. The Jets.

If it sounds like I'm giving a pep talk then that's probably what it is. Daydreaming

Haven't changed my Lock Pick. Yet...Nailbiting

To be fair, it's more that Mark Sanchez was the starting QB of the team that beat the Colts and Patriots in the playoffs in consecutive weeks.

The Jets defense that year was top 6 in pretty much every major category. And Sanchez's stats for the two games were a combined 34/56, 383 yards, 3 td and 1int. (Neither game did he throw for more than 200 yards.)

He was just given the task of not losing the game and he succeeded both games.

So the question is how much do you trust the Redskins defense.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, December 09, 2018 2:39:28 PM
Shop at My Store
lcfrick wrote:
how much do you trust the Redskins defense.

Not that much. Rain

bluedevil2002
Monday, December 10, 2018 8:53:01 PM
I see your points and counter with BUTT FUMBLE.
MoonKnight1
Monday, December 10, 2018 9:22:20 PM
Shop at My Store
Mark Sanchez...who is that?

Go Josh Johnson! I take back all the bad things I said about him! He's Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgensen, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Mark Rypien and Kirk Cousins combined!!!!!!!

Super Bowl, here we come! Talk to the Hand Tongue