Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Storing Oversized Comics
olus
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:19:04 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
I have an oversized comic that is 7.5" x 11.4". Any suggestions for a board & bag to use with this? Magazine ones are too short. Treasury ones are too tall and too wide.
Thundercron
Thursday, December 13, 2018 12:24:33 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I don't know of anything between those sizes. I'd suggest using a Treasury size bag and board. Fold the bag up to size, and cut the board accordingly.
Xylob
Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:07:02 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
I've made custom bags and boards for odd-sized books - mostly ashcans though.
I use a guillotine style paper cutter, but scissors and a steady hand will work just as well.
Cut the bag a bit wider than you need it, and for height/length cut across the bottom so you can keep the flap.
Once cut to the size desired, very carefully place in a LARGE book with just a tiny amount of the cut side hanging out - press down hard on the book and apply fire (FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!) to the cut edges to melt the bag shut. If the bag catches on fire, you screwed up.... start over.
WIth practice, I've gotten it down so the bags look 99% "original" - you can't even tell I made it. Dealers/Stores have asked me where I bought the ashcan bags and boards.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
MoonKnight1
Thursday, December 13, 2018 12:46:54 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Xylob wrote:
(FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!)

Heh, heh! Yeah, He said FIRE! Heh, heh. That was cool!

Shut up, Beavis!

Rolling on the Floor

Xylob wrote:
I've made custom bags and boards for odd-sized books - mostly ashcans though.
I use a guillotine style paper cutter, but scissors and a steady hand will work just as well.
Cut the bag a bit wider than you need it, and for height/length cut across the bottom so you can keep the flap.
Once cut to the size desired, very carefully place in a LARGE book with just a tiny amount of the cut side hanging out - press down hard on the book and apply fire (FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!) to the cut edges to melt the bag shut. If the bag catches on fire, you screwed up.... start over.
WIth practice, I've gotten it down so the bags look 99% "original" - you can't even tell I made it. Dealers/Stores have asked me where I bought the ashcan bags and boards.

That sounds like a pretty nifty workaround. I was going to second what Corey said, cut a larger board down to size and fold the bag to fit. I might have to try your method.

What do you use for FIRE! - matches, those long grill lighters, flamethrower? Silly

Howie's Saying of the Week

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be - Wayne Gretzky

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
olus
Monday, January 21, 2019 10:52:56 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
This worked great. I just cut the Treasury board down to the right size and used a butane soldering iron to seal/trim the bag down so that it now looks normal. I tried using wax paper to protect the tip from getting plastic on it, but I couldn't get the heat/timing right to effectively seal/trim the whole bag. Since I'm only doing one bag, not really enough plastic to worry about the tip.
monidaw1
Saturday, March 09, 2019 4:11:54 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
I actually cancelled out my order for a title due to them announcing it as being oversized yesterday.

Quote:
Product Update:
IDW Publishing's
Amber Blake #1
Trim Size Increase

Regular Cover
(DEC180788E, $3.99) Free 10-copy Incentive
(DEC180789J)

Dear Diamond Customer:

Please be advised that IDW Publishing's Amber Blake #1 will be published at the slightly oversized dimensions of 8-3/8" x 11", rather than at standard comic size.

Retailers who feel the new size may impact their ability to sell the book may adjust their orders by its Final Order Cut-off Date of Monday, March 11.

If you have additional questions regarding this advisory, please contact a member of the Diamond Retailer Services department. Thank you.

Adjusted to ZERO COPIES.

That FCBD book last year that was oversized I slipped into the paper whacker and trimmed it down to fit.

As near as I can tell it appears all the Black Label DC comics are coming in magazine sized so we cut waaay back on them also since they're too big to ship in Flat rate envelopes and require Magazine sized boards and bags.