Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » YEAR OF SEEING MOVIES PART DEUX
2 pages: [1] 2
comicuniversity
Wednesday, January 09, 2019 1:11:12 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator
Many of you may remember my Year of Seeing movies post.

Well, my sweetheart and I took a year off but had so much fun the first time that we are doing it again.

I will, as before, be chronicling our adventures here.
comicuniversity
Wednesday, January 09, 2019 1:14:03 PM
The first movie of the year was part of a Budget Cinema Double Feature.

At about 1030 on January 1st we walked into....

OVERLORD

This was a movie that I had wanted to see in 2018 but we never got around to it. Of course, in a normal year, there are lots of movies we don't get around to. In the Year of Seeing Movies Part Deux, though, I was lucky the local Budget cinema still had this one showing.

We bought our year long refillable bucket of popcorn and walked in, ready for the year to start.

Unfortunately, we were kind of disappointed. But, let me get to it before I go too far.

Overlord was the story of a paratrooper squad during the Normandy invasion that finds a secret Nazi research facility that is turning people into monsters.

THE GOOD:
Overlord had a decent story. Using the Normandy landing as a backdrop was pretty cool, I thought. Also playing and embellishing on the well known fact that the Nazis were, in fact, dabbling in the occult during the war was a nice touch.

The bad guys were really freaking bad. I mean, the filmmakers and the actors did a great job of making the villains hateable. That is a very good thing in a movie like this. I really wanted them to get defeated.

The movie looked slick. The cinematography was solid.

The gore. I admit, I am a little squeamish when it comes to gore in movies. This movie had a lot of opportunities for over the top gore but it never really went there. There was gore to be sure (lol). It was all kinda well done and in service to the plot. There was a scene where the hero walks through the main lab and there is a French woman's head and cerebral system being kept alive and she talks to him. It's creepy, but appropriately so.

THE BAD:
All the characters were, basically, stereotypes. There weren't any shades of grey. There was no real people in the movie. The star was heroic, all the time. The crusty heart of gold corporal was always crusty with a heart of gold. The despicable Nazi officer was always despicable. The actions of the characters was always 100% predictable.

The connection to the actual historical events was tenuous , at best. I know this might be more of a personal issue, but, if a historical event as well documented as the Normandy invasion is your subject matter (even in a movie like this), you have to do a better job.

The acting. I mean, the cast does seem to do their best, but they are C and D list people. I kept mentioning to my Girlfriend that better actors would have raised this movie up.

SUMMARY:

The entire movie was just too predictable and the acting too pedestrian to live up to the very interesting concept and strong cinematography. I mean, this ain't a bad movie so if you want to give it a go, why not? However, it just never rises above the mediocre level, even though there are a few moments where it looks like it might.
I do want to mention the scene where the American soldiers definitively decide to go off their mission to shut down this Nazi laboratory. It was a really good scene. If the whole movie would have been like that scene Overlord would have been special.

I give it a straight C rating.

MoonKnight1
Wednesday, January 09, 2019 1:34:04 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
Many of you may remember my Year of Seeing movies post.

Well, my sweetheart and I took a year off but had so much fun the first time that we are doing it again.

I will, as before, be chronicling our adventures here.

YESSS!!! Applause Dancing Party Big Hug

Howie's Saying of the Week

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action in mind - Frank Herbert

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
comicuniversity
Wednesday, January 09, 2019 2:52:35 PM
We followed this up with a truly awful piece of cinema.....

ANNA AND THE APOCALYPSE

This was bad.

This is a musical Zombie apocalypse.

I thought I would get something kind of unique and whimsical. I got Unique. That was it.

So, this movie centers around a bunch of high school kids and their adults. A zombie apocalypse happens. They sing songs while dealing with it.

THE GOOD:
VERY little

The movie started OK. The main characters were kind of oblivious and singing songs about average teenage angst while the apocalypse was starting. This part was kinda fun.

Some of the choreography is pretty good in the dance scenes

That's it.

THE BAD:
Unfortunately, the characters realize the apocalypse is happening really fast and any chance for comedy leaves right after.

It's just a joyless, soulless death march. Almost everyone gets killed. Even those that survive haven't really earned it in any real way. Bad people and stupid people do bad and stupid things.

There is a principal. he is mean before the apocalypse and evil after, he still sings songs (badly) It's awful.

The singing itself. it is apparent most of these people are actors and not singers. That's bad for a musical.

The thought process of the people in the movie is dumb. Just dumb. This would be OK if it stayed on it's original comedic heading...but it didn't.

Zombies died too easy. This is nitpicking, but basically, if you punched one in the face, it died.

SUMMARY:

I have little to say about this movie. It sucked. pretty bad. It's only virtue was that it was kind of unique and fresh in a Hollywood with too little of those things. Don't ever see this unless you really like weird stuff that no one else likes.

comicuniversity
Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:01:17 AM
Later the same day we picked up my daughter and went to see....

BUMBLEBEE

We went to a first run theater for this one, but not our usual. It didn't have the awesome dream lounge seats and spacious theaters. It was more of a conventional movie theater. It also happens to be more of an inner city movie theater.
The first problem was there isn't a lot of space to get comfortable. The second problem was that so many people in the theater were on their phones throughout that I actually had to say something a couple times as my daughter complained. Also, an older couple sat next to us reeking of smoke and armed with a platter of chicken thighs that they proceeded to eat slowly and loudly for much of the movie. It was kind of ridiculous. It will be a while before we go back to this theater.

Also, the movie was the most middle of the road average movie you may ever see. As I like to say, it's not that it was a bad movie because it wasn't. It's just that it wasn't a good movie.

You all kind of know the story because this movie felt like a long episode of the old 80's cartoon or an issue of the early run of Marvel's Transformers comic.
Now, I know that sounds like a good thing...and it WAS kind of cool. But that feeling isn't enough to carry a feature film/

THE GOOD:
The soundtrack was awesome! Their was a selection of 80's music that complemented the movie perfectly. Someone was inspired in the soundtrack department.

I liked the star of the movie and her sidekick. Sitting here I can't remember the actor's names but they did solid work.

I enjoyed the fact that the human characters were important. In the Bay Transformers movie, the humans are basically props. In this movie they were actually necessary and crucial to the plot.

The special effects were solid and real. Do you know what I mean? Everything wasn't all shiny and amazing. The special effects felt like they existed in a real world.

THE BAD:

John Cena. I like John Cena and have been enjoying his career arc (if you haven't seen him in Trainwreck, do yourself a favor. the movie theater scene is one of the funniest things ever). That's what makes this even more painful. He is AWFUL in this movie. First, his role is written poorly. He isn't given much to work with. Beyond that though, his performance is hammy and awful. reminds me of Bill Cosby in leonard Part 6 a little.

The violence is stupid and the consequences are stupid. All of the human characters are beat up so much that they would definitely be dead multiple times over but, of course, they just escape with a scratch. The damage to the transformers, also, is dumb. Like, they get blown up and stabbed and torn apart endlessly with no real consequence UNTIL the plot says there needs to be a consequence. then a mere punch or whatever destroys them. I hate when action movies do this.

There is Too much of nothing happening. I mean, we have alien life confirmed on our planet. But, years and months go by without anybody really caring or doing anything about it. It's weird.

CENTRAL CONCEIT:

I need to talk about this. The star human of the movie, a teenage girl, discovers she has an alien in her garage. What does she do? She drives it around like a car and hides it from everybody EXCEPT the horny boy that she doesn't even know. It's dumb. Really dumb.

This speaks to one of the other shortcomings of this movie. So many people make so many bad choices that people in the real world would never make that it kept taking me out of the movie.

SUMMARY:
Bumblebee had enough warm fuzzies and cool bells and whistles that it wasn't a bad movie. It also had so many inane qualities that it wasn't a good movie.

THE MOST STRAIGHT UP C RATED MOVIE EVER.

Shadowdodger
Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:48:53 AM
Groups: Member
Sooo happy to see you're back doing this.
Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
comicuniversity
Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:49:31 PM
Shadowdodger wrote:
Sooo happy to see you're back doing this.

Thanks!

I'm already behind. one more movie to review and we plan on seeing another tonight. (I actually put a crap ton of money on gift cards this year to defray the cost.) Maybe I'm a little crazy but we have a lot of fun with this.
comicuniversity
Friday, January 11, 2019 2:31:54 PM
We are moving at a breakneck movie watching pace this year. We kind of rushed our usual Monday night routines and plans so we could go, for the first time this year, to our old familiar Dreamlounge theater to see the first new 2019 release of the year that we have seen....

ESCAPE ROOM

Let me end the suspense right off the bat by saying this is easily the best movie we have seen this year thus far.
This is following a recent trend of kind of crowd pleasing horror films that actually can even grab a PG-13 rating.

THE GOOD:

I dig the concept. It isn't anything revolutionary but it's effective. If you haven't done a real life escape room I HIGHLY recommend it. Seriously. They are a blast. Go with enough people in your own group to not be stuck with strangers though. Ok, enough about that.
So, if you have done a real escape room, you know there is a small part of you that wishes it was even harder and the stakes were even higher (not life and death for sure, but just an even greater thrill)
Anyway, this movie takes that concept and puts it into a feature film. SO cool.

Also, there is a real story to it. It isn't just "put people in a scary environment and have scary things happen". There is a thread that connects the main characters. There is a motivation hinted at and then exposed.

The characters......The characters are REAL characters. They don't ever get fully fleshed out, of course. This isn't a drama and there is only so much time to get to know them in the reasonable run time of this movie while all the action is happening, but the characters aren't horror movie archetypes that we don't really care about.

Characters Part 2: Some of the characters become so likeable or hateable that their fates become important to us. That's a good thing.

There are several different rooms to escape before the characters can be free. Each room brings a legit challenge that was interesting to watch them figure out.

The deaths were NOT needlessly graphic. This is really what makes this a PG-13 horror movie. They don't show gouts of blood or burnt faces or anything offputting. The deaths are still solid and impactful despite this. Don't worry
(and....oh yes. people die)

I really enjoyed the set up. We met several of the characters before they got their "invitations" to the escape room and those scenes were well done. Watching them figure out the puzzle invitations was also cool.

THE BAD:

As usual in movies like this, we do see characters acting in ways we would never act. One HUGE plot hole is what they do when they realize the danger in the escape room is real. What would you do? Of course, drop everything and just destroy the place to get out. In this movie they just keep following the trail like good little mice (except for ONE noteable exception I won't spoil).

The ending is very disappointing (and I mean, literally, the very ending). It begs for a sequel that I fear won't be nearly as good as this one. This isn't a concept that can bear a lot of repeats I don't think.

The bad guys come off, at times, as kind of all powerful. That is a horror cliché that drives me nuts. Write the movie better. DOn't just make your bad guy all powerful (again, there is a couple of noteable and refreshing exceptions to this.)

SUMMARY:

This has been a disappointing YEAR OF SEEING MOVIES so far. This isn't a great movie. it is, however, good enough to be the best we have seen this year by a lot. It had strong suspense, realistic characters and a cool premise. I liked it.
comicuniversity
Friday, January 11, 2019 4:43:58 PM
I HAVE FORGOTTEN TO POST THIS ON THIS THREAD LIKE I ALKWAYS DID LAST TIME

THIS THREAD IS REPLETE WITH SPOILERS. IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY OF THESE LOVIES RUINED IN ANY WAY, DO NO READ THE REVIEW OF THAT MOVIE!
comicuniversity
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:48:35 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD

I am way behind here so I am going to be thin on some of the details I usually add that don't speak directly to the movie.

A couple weeks ago we went to see.

HOLMES AND WATSON

This is how I described watching this movie to friends.

It was like taking a dump in your hand. Then wiping the crap all over your face, especially your eyes. Then scooping one of your crap covered eyeballs out of your head with a spoon and staring at it with your other crap covered eyeball for two hours.

Listen. many of the people involved in this movie have done good work and shown real talent. I don't know how any of them could have gotten involved in something this god awful.
Seriously...this is currently among the bottom two or three worst movies I have EVER seen.

So, the plot. Right. The plot. ummmm.....Bald bearded ralph Fiennes is doing something bad. The guys from stepbrothers are trying to foil him. God.

THE GOOD
Oh god. OK. I can come up with something.....umm....There is a joke where John C Reilly's DR. Watson loves the Queen and he keeps trying to hold her hand. There are a couple times where this is subtle and you realize he is reaching for her hand when there is other stuff going on.
That's it.

THE BAD

I mean, everything else.

The jokes are insanely tired. There is a send up to the pottery scene from GHOST for chrissakes. there is a scene where the idiots are trying to kill a fly and of course end up beating each other up. there is a scene where they commit idiocy trying to impress women. Oh god. It's all so bad.

It's predictable. I mean, ludicrously so.

You could fall asleep for 20 minutes (my girlfriend did) and not miss anything. Nothing really important happens between when they introduce the plot and when they resolve it.

The whole premise is dumb. So, they are buffoons right? and they never really do anything right. Yet, somehow, magically, they foil the bad guy and solve the crime. it just kind of happens.

Oh yeah...maybe the worst opening scene in the history of comedies. So, we learn why Watson and Holmes become friends and why Holmes is so learned. It's because Holmes was bullied as a child. We actually witness the bullying. It's supposed to be funny I think but it's really mean and awful.

SUMMARY

Good lord, if this thread is good for anything, it's saving you from watching this movie. You're welcome.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, January 26, 2019 10:57:03 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:

Good lord, if this thread is good for anything, it's saving you from watching this movie. You're welcome.

My first reaction to hearing about this movie was, "Sounds Great! What can go wrong?" Then after a while I wondered why we even needed a comedic Sherlock Holmes. I mean we've already got Inspector Clouseau and Maxwell Smart, right?

Then I was really worried when they didn't show the movie to critics before it opened. That's usually a bad sign.

Well, that's too bad. Thanks for saving me the time, Jeff. I hope you have been able to get all of that crap out of your eyeballs. Devil

Howie's Saying of the Week

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action in mind - Frank Herbert

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
comicuniversity
Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:01:21 AM
SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD SPOILERS AHEAD

I am still way behind. We have seen six or seven movies since my last post. After the awful Holmes and Watson, our next movie was....

THE UPSIDE

The Upside is clearly pandering. White, wealthy old guy with debilitating health issues who has stopped living. Poor black young guy who lives a lot get mixed up with each other. I mean, it panders and it keeps pandering.
There is scene after scene of both of them influencing each other's lives for the better. The old guy teaches the young guy how to work hard. The young guy teaches the old guy how to appreciate having fun again. They teach other other how to deal with their anger and with love...yadda yada yadda.

I make it sound like I didn't like this movie and that wouldn't be true. Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston are both really solid actors who know their strengths and play to those strengths in this movie. Julianna Margulies and Nicole Kidman are also in this movie and the movie is better for their presence.
The two helping each other may be pandering, but, dammit, its entertaining and uplifting to watch.

Look, you can definitely wait for this one to hit redbox or netflix or whatever. Other than a hanggliding scene and some musical numbers there isn't anything that screams for the big screen with the big sound. But....you should watch it at some point.

THE GOOD

As I said, the acting performances are strong. there isn't anything oscar caliber here, but you have some performers who just play to their strengths in this one. You will absolutely recognize Cranston and Hart. They don't disappear into their roles or anything, but there is a reason these guys are so successful and popular.

There are tons of good scenes of these two relating to each other......
-Kevin Hart having to take out and replace a catheter.
-Cranston getting Hart to hang glide
-Hart teaching Cranston to appreciate different music and Cranston returning the favor (There is an opera scene that is pretty great)
-Cranston getting Harts amateur art sold
-Hart making Cranston open up to having a relationship with a woman again.
There is more, but they are all pretty good.

Kevin Hart's character is real. Do you know what i mean? He isn't the poor black guy with a heart of gold who has been kept down his whole life. He has problems and many of them are of his own making. He is a fully formed character.

The trappings of wealth. I know that (while I am pretty happy with my life) I have fantasized from time to time about what it would be like if money was no object. This movies portrays that and I was sucked in a little.

The ending was fitting and it ended on the right note. Too many movies tack on an extra scene or two at the end of movies that dilute a truly great ending. this one didn't do that. It ended exactly where it should have.

THE BAD

Well, like I said, it panders. It is OBVIOUSLY going for emotional punches and tears and lessons all over the place. Many people don't like that and, although I enjoyed the movie, it was a little thick sometimes.

There was a subplot where Kevin Hart stole a priceless book from Cranston to give to his estranged son as a gift. This went on too long and I felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop for too long. it affected my enjoyment. Then, when it did, resolve, it was very anticlimactic.

They skipped time. So, the plot of the movie involves Kevin Hart going to what he thinks is a janitorial job interview and, instead, getting hired as this wealthy paralyzed guys' caregiver....with absolutely NO experience of any kind. there should have been way more involved in this, way more involved in his learning curve. He basically went from not having any idea what he was doing in one scene to be being the best caregiver in the history of caregivers in the next scene.

SUMMARY
At this point in the YEAR OF SEEING MOVIE PART DEUX Upside is my favorite movie. It was a feel good movie with some really solid acting performances..
comicuniversity
Monday, February 04, 2019 11:17:13 AM
SPOILERS AHEAD FOR A VERY SPOILERY MOVIE
comicuniversity
Monday, February 04, 2019 11:20:03 AM
I am still trying to catch up here. Still 6 movies behind. We went to our favorite movie theater and saw......

GLASS

I want to talk about our favorite movie theater for a second. I am a HUGE customer loyalty type of guy. South Shore theater here in Milwaukee has earned our loyalty so the majority of movies we see are there. I have noticed some signs of the place going downhill though. Right now these signs are small (a broken window pane hasn't been replaced for a month. A dead mouse was outside the exit door for weeks. The movies posters on the marquees haven't been changed.). I know these are no big deal, taken one at a time, but on the whole, the experience at this theater is degrading.

Ok, anyway....GLASS was something special.

I want to say that again for emphasis. Glass was something special.

It was, at times, unsatisfying. It won't end up being my favorite movie of the year.
But, it was something special.

Glass felt, to me, like a master storyteller at the top of his game producing his Magnum opus.

Glass is the third of the Unbreakable, Split unplanned trilogy. I don't even want to argue this. When Shamylan was making Unbreakable, he was not planning for this.

The framework of this movie. Good lord, I just sat in my seat and soaked it all in.

Opening: Bruce Willis is revealed to be working with his son running a security company. They are actively tracking the Horde (James Mcavoys character from Split). He is killing women and they are out to stop him. We see some establishing type shots of the Horde terrorizing cheerleaders and Bruce Willis stopping crimes.
It's all very effective. We know the status of some of the main characters and their motives. We are already into the story.

Second part: Bruce Willis and the Horde battle. The cheerleaders are freed. Bruce Willis is winning the battle when outside forces intervene and capture both the hero and villain. the battle is understated for a super hero battle but it's a really good scene. the capture plants the first seeds of something more happening here.

Main act: The two characters are taken to a hospital of some sort where we are reintroduced to Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson). So, there is a woman there that is trying to treat the three of them. She is attempting to convince them that they are Imagining their powers.
There is a lot of "fishy" stuff here. It is all very effective. The "hospital" is severely short staffed. The credentials of the woman are sketchy. The amount that she knows about each character is weird.

Ending: Glass, Horde and Bruce WIllis fight it out and they all die.

POSTSCRIPT: This is the usual shamamalamn twist. The woman doctor is part of a secret society tasked with keeping beings of power secret throughout time. The special people in the lives of the supers (Willis's son, Glasses mother and the girl from split) Manage to get a recording of the final battle out on to the interweb.....fade to black.

THE GOOD:
Just the way the story is told. It is obvious that every single syllable uttered and every single facial expression (and everything else) was agonized over by the filmmaker. Its soooooo immersive.

The two battles between Horde and Bruce Willis are really good. Understated but good.

McAvoy and Jackson are amazing in the movie. I know they won't be thought of in Oscar season, but their performances are very good...as is the performance of the actor who plays willis' son.

The world building. By the end of the movie, I wanted more and more and more. Like I said, it's so immersive.

The air of mystery. You just never quite knew if you were seeing what you were seeing. It put the audience in the shoes of the characters. Very effective.

The cinematography. The scenes were all shot in a real world way....but a very detailed real world way.

The opening scenes where Bruce WIllis and his son are working together were all great scenes...felt like a logical next step for the Unbreakable movie.

Did I mention Sam Jackson. His "Glass" character ended up feeling like the center of the movie even though he didn't even appear until well into the story. His part was so well written, directed and acted. He ALWAYS feels in control of the action. That was definitely planned. EVen when he is being mocked in a vegetative type state by orderlies he still exudes strength and power.

The way all the characters were arrayed during the final battle. It just felt exactly like comic book panels come to life. In fact, each scene felt almost like a separate comic panel. Really cool and for sure on purpose.

They do a good job of making old man WIllis still look strong and vital.

THE BAD:

It was a little unsatisfying at times. I mean, Bruce Willis gets drowned in a puddle by a normal dude.

Bruce WIllis. God he sucks. I know he was the biggest actor in the world when Unbreakable was made. But he sucks now and this movie suffered for it. He just mumbles tonelessly through most of his lines. There are two scenes that stand out.
1) When Glass is wheeled into the room with him and Horde in the hospital, there should have been a strong visceral reaction...anger, hatred, fear. Willis couldn't pull any of it off. His muttered "you've got to be kidding me" was awful.
2) He and the Horde see each other across a hallway when both of their cell doors are left open briefly. Mcavoy's Horde goes into histrionics. Willis just stares. badly.

Glasses final victory. First off, its posthumous which is unsatisfying. Also, we don't get to really see it. His plan to "out" the supers to the world works, but we see no results. Again, it's unsatisfying.

There are moments where each super (well, not glass) actually doubts whether they are super. It's the only part of this movie that doesn't make sense. Willis and Mcavoy have displayed superhuman abilities dozens of times in this movie alone and in two or three scenes the "doctor lady" makes them doubt.

SUMMARY:

Amazingly well crafted tale. Best movie of the year so far.

comicuniversity
Thursday, February 07, 2019 2:20:30 PM
SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
comicuniversity
Thursday, February 07, 2019 2:21:37 PM
Next up was...

MORTAL ENGINES

Granted, went to the budget theater for this one, but the fact that we are still loading up on 2018 movies speaks to the weird lack of compelling releases thus far this year.

Anyways, Mortal Engines.

it looks super pretty. The Elf Lord from the Matrix is pretty cool. The action is pretty amazing. The main protagonist of the film is female. Could we have another Hunger Games?

No.

Like Bumblebee, this wasn't a bad movie. It's just so aggressively mediocre. It's like the filmmakers had a book entitled, "how to not mess up" and just followed that book but forgot to get the book entitled "how to make it good."

Anyways...here goes.

It's post apocalyptic. Everybody lives either behind a giant wall on the ground or in roving mega cities with wheels.

For some reason the mega cities are constantly searching for fuel and stuff that they wouldn't need if they just took the wheels off their megacities.
I mean...it's the entire premise of the movie and it's so dumb. Just take the wheels off and stop moving around. It's not like you can't do it. We see non mega city with wheels flourishing in the movie.

Anyway, elf lord from the matrix is building a mega weapon for his mega city to destroy another city behind a wall. WHy? Who Knows? Who cares?
A girl is hunting him who, in turn, is being hunted by a robot death warrior.
Oh, and some boy who likes her tags along and there are people who the movie tells us are cool who fly planes.

THE GOOD:
Action scenes. pretty awesome. The battle scenes really are mostly pretty cool.

It looks slick. The production budget was obviously pretty solid and the person who controlled it knew what they were doing.

It's dripping with promise. This COULD have been a much better movie with a better actor or two and a couple of nifty writing jobs to close a couple glaring plotholes.

It's not overly sanitized for a younger audience. People die. Bad things happen.

The plot about finding pieces of the mega weapon was wrapped up in a subplot about historians trying to hold on to a record of the world post apocalypse. I liked this. Wish it would have been plumbed a little deeper.

THE BAD:
The plot holes are freaking enormous. Besides the fact of the obvious idiocy of living in a thing that makes you NEED to constantly scavenge and live on the edge where it is totally unnecessary this movie falls on a convention I HATE.
Namely, a character or group is super hard to kill until the story needs them to be and then its really easy to kill them. It happens twice.
1) There is a great air armada that protects the good guys. They are super skilled and effective, until the end when the plot needs them out of the way and they fly straight towards the bad guys' big gun all bunched up and unmoving. It was so dumb I yelled at the screen
2) The HQ of the main bad guy (elflord from Matrix) is really hard to get to until the end when my cat could break in and foil the plot. It was so dumb.

Oh, it was crazy predictable. SO, the super death warrior hunting girl hero was after her because he wanted to make her like him. He was pretty cool and creepy. Seriously....until he finally let the girl go because she loved the boy and he loved her. The VERY SECOND the death warriors back story was revealed it was painfully obvious that would happen. That's just one example. It was a super predictable movie.

The performances were soap opera acting. It was pretty bad.

The super cool, pilot good guy was weird. It was like the filmmakers were going for diversity so they tried to fit as many races and sexual identities as possible into one character. They chose the most androgynous and multi racial actor ever. I don't really care about this except that the character ended up being needlessly weird.

SUMMARY
Meh.
Thundercron
Thursday, February 07, 2019 4:08:59 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I liked Glass up until the end. Just didn't like waiting 20 years for an Unbreakable sequel just to get a movie with next to no Bruce Willis in it, and then have him die by a faceless soldier at the end. If you saw Split first, then watched Unbreakable (as many people did), then the build up would be less. I think those people probably wouldn't have a problem with the ending.

As for the tacked on ending ending--just pointless. Really trying too hard, and doesn't make much sense. There are videos out there right now on the internet of ghosts, strange creatures, all kinds of paranormal stuff. Legit videos that can't be explained. Guess what? Nobody cares. Realistically, the video that Mr. Glass & Co. leaked to the internet would be a viral video for a few days at best, and certainly wouldn't be covered by the nightly news. Guess Mr. Glass isn't the great mastermind after all.
comicuniversity
Friday, February 08, 2019 12:00:01 PM
I agree with you.

There was some unsatisfying stuff towards the end. Willis' death, in particular. And Glasses master plan was a little dubious, especially the way they tacked it on at the end.

I think that stuff was kind of the point though, at least in my opinion. Shmamalan was not trying to make a satisfying super hero movie. It was supposed to be real world grounded.
Willis' death was realistic. Glasses plan was realistic.
Thundercron
Friday, February 08, 2019 3:17:37 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
I agree with you.

There was some unsatisfying stuff towards the end. Willis' death, in particular. And Glasses master plan was a little dubious, especially the way they tacked it on at the end.

I think that stuff was kind of the point though, at least in my opinion. Shmamalan was not trying to make a satisfying super hero movie. It was supposed to be real world grounded.
Willis' death was realistic. Glasses plan was realistic.

I initially was wondering what studio in their right mind would greenlight this ending. Then I found out Shyamalan financed the whole thing himself (as well as his last two movies). In light of that, nobody should tell him what he should and shouldn't do with this movie. His money, his movie, his story. I'm fine with that.

I do disagree, however, that the ending was in line with his "realistic" portrayal of a super-hero movie. Where was this shadow organization during Unbreakable? You'd think they'd be all over a report of a man who survived a train crash with no scratch. There was a throwaway line in Glass where the doctor chick said she was content with leaving Bruce Willis alone, but then had to intervene when he went after the Horde. Um....why? The whole point of the group is to prevent super heroes from emerging from society, and Bruce Willis probably got further in that than anyone else. He's fighting crime for the last twenty years--and she was just going to leave him alone? Geez, she really sucks at her job.

I also go back to my previous point about the viral video thing. In the real world, it wouldn't have exposed anything.
comicuniversity
Monday, February 11, 2019 3:41:26 PM
Next up is another movie from last year that is a big part of Oscar season.

THE GREEN BOOK

SPOILERS ABOUND

We are trying to get to every single theater in the Milwaukee area and surrounding for this year of seeing movies. With that in mind we went to a theater that we had never been to together period. It's called the Rosebud. It doesn't have traditional seating. It has big comfortable couches and coffee tables.

So, it was a super snowy and cold night, but the Rosebud was warm and comfortable. It was a good start. We got some popcorn and a beer. The popcorn sucked but the beer was good.

The movie was the best movie of the year so far.

Let me start with a comment about "based on a true story" movies.
I feel that you need to make it very clear just how serious you are about really hitting the history accurately. This movie didn't put on any airs. This was clearly a dramatization of true events so I was comfortable right from the start. I know there has been some controversy about the historical accuracy but I didn't let any of that enter my mind because the movie allowed for that.

Anyway, the story is VERY simple. Racist Italian bouncer who has some real savvy escorts uber talented black musician with no savvy on a tour of the south. Drama and warm feelings ensue.

THE GOOD:

There is (obviously) a racial element to this. Look....We don't need to establish that we have a very racist history in this country. We all know that Civil rights were only extended about 50 years ago. We don't need to beat that horse. This movie worried me. I thought that was going to happen.
While they definitely tell that story...they do it in a way that I didn't feel lectured to or guilt tripped. They also told this part of the story in a way that it didn't become the entire story and it didn't become despicable. It just was. I liked it.

Connected to that....in movies about racial prejudice in the south there is often a scene or two that is really hard to watch. This movie had none of those. Each time the issue came up it was handled in an entertaining fashion. There is a scene where Ali is not allowed to eat in a country club where he is set to perform in a couple hours that is really great. Not uncomfortable and watching the way Viggo and Ali handle the situation was fun. There were a few scenes like this.

The acting....I have been saying this to everybody. Mahersala Ali and Viggo Mortensen are AMAZING in this movie. Both actors absolutely disappear into their roles. You stop seeing them about 20 minutes in.

There are some just great scenes. Just scenes that charmed me and made me want more. Viggo teaching Ali how to eat Fried Chicken. ALi playing a classical piano in a dive bar. Viggo punching out a racist cop. A northern cop at the end of the movie helping them with a low tire unexpectedly rather than harassing them.

Remember how I said they didn't overdue the racism storyline? This was true of all the drama. Ali's character was a homosexual, which, in that time period, was even more difficult than it is today. They only glossed over it. There was a scene where Ali was going to get mugged for flashing his cash in a dive bar. That tension was gone immediately when Viggo noticed the muggers and fired a couple shots in the air. The whole movie just felt good.

I loved the world building. I mean, I know we aren't talking about some fantasy film, but it was very easy to sink into the world of fifty years ago.

The music was great. Classical isn't for everyone. But when Ali played, it was pretty great. Of course, the usual period music from the soundtracks of movies like this also hit the right note.

THE BAD

There wasn't much. I almost NEVER say this but the movie was too short. I wanted more. I wanted another scene or two. The end scene of Ali joining Viggo's family for Christmas dinner was so excellent and warm I was sad when it passed.

Maybe a little more background on the characters would have helped. There were some real questions about Ali's character that were never totally explained. It wasn't a big deal though at all.

SUMMARY

This movie is the best movie we have seen thus far this year. It deserves the Oscar Nominations it has gotten. It is a breezy and light movie that covers serious topics in an enjoyable way. The performances are so good that it is easy to get sucked right into the movie.
This isn't a superior masterpiece of a film, but it's the closest to it yet this year.