Welcome Guest Active Topics
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, May 07, 2019 10:49:13 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
First punch was to the gut. Then the second punch, while I was doubled over, was an uppercut.

Six months ago things weren't going so bad. I mean, there were problems but they were manageable problems. Now, not so much.

Have you ever heard the ancient Chinese curse that goes something like, "May you live in interesting times"? Well, times have gotten interesting indeed.

Early this year I lost my house of 20+ years due mainly to my own ineptitude. There were chances to hold onto it but I failed in my attempt. I had been hoping to live there for 5-10 more years and eventually use it to fund my retirement, either by selling it or using it as a rental property. No more.

Even so, it was just a thing and I lost numerous things due to the transition but at the end of the day it was all just things. I was able to bring most of the cats with me and one I left behind is being taken care of by a good friend of mine from the neighborhood. I also had somewhere to go, Colleen's house, so I'm not living on the streets or in my storage facility.

Luckily it seems that I am going to be getting the surplus money from the sale of the house which is not an insignificant amount. It's not lottery money, only in the mid five figures, but something is better than nothing.

The move was tough for both of us because her house is a tad smaller than mine so we each had to shed some possessions and the house still needs some de-cluttering. However, things had seemed to be settling down.

Looks can be deceiving. Colleen works for BB&T Bank and has for close to 25 years. She had been planning on staying for another couple years and then leaving with a decent retirement package. That might no longer be an option. It has been announced that BB&T is merging with Suntrust and between the two of them they will be downsizing between 40 and 60 percent of their workforce. So now she might be out of a job by as soon as the end of the year.

Interesting times indeed.

Her silver lining is that if she does get "downsized" (fancy word for fired) then she will get a hefty severance, probably somewhere around a year's salary. Once again, not enough to buy our own private island but enough to keep us comfortable in the short term.

To be clear I am not trying to say, "Woe is me!" or asking for a pity party. I have been in way worse situations than this and have come through alright. This is just a small rock in the stream and I'm going around that sucker and coming out better on the other side.

When life gives me lemons I don't make lemonade, I make Lemon Chiffon Pie garnished with Candied Zests!

What I see ahead of me at this very moment is unlimited opportunity.

Dancing

Howie's Saying of the Week

Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. - William Faulkner

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Thundercron
Tuesday, May 07, 2019 11:57:37 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
It's always something, isn't it? I have hard time enjoying the good times when things are smooth, because I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Is Colleen's 25 years of service mean she won't be on the first list of names to cut? On the other hand, these big companies really like cutting people loose just before retirement, in order to get out of paying the full pension.

Dirty. Rotten.

Hang in there. Just take all that money and buy a bunch of Hulk #181's. Sell them next year. It's like printing money. Or so I hear.
lcfrick
Tuesday, May 07, 2019 1:15:00 PM
Groups: Member
It's nice to see that you're keeping a positive attitude through all of this.

Best of luck to you and Colleen.
padreglcc
Wednesday, May 08, 2019 9:02:03 AM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Sorry to hear all that, Howie. I'm impressed and inspired by your positivity in the midst of this. I'm praying for you and Colleen, especially for her job situation.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
KnifeTricks
Wednesday, May 08, 2019 9:31:18 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Subscriber
What a bad beat, sorry to hear it Howie. Your attitude about the situation really is inspiring.

Wishing the best for you and Colleen.

Chance Butler
Graphics

e-mail us at helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, May 08, 2019 10:23:19 AM
Shop at My Store
Colleen is probably safe for a while. Right now they are cutting the top salaries and she is more middle of the pack. Another thing she has going for her is that no one really wants to do her job so if they got rid of her someone else would have to step in.

She actually hasn't liked working there for a few years now and had been looking into other job opportunities anyway so it's not all bad for her. I told her that she could have a job working with me in my CCL store but I would have to train her. She is better at the financial side of business but doesn't know the difference between New Teen Titans volume 1 and volume 2! Big Grin

When hardship strikes I am of the opinion that you really only have two options. You can either curl up into a ball on the floor, wallow in self pity and whine about how unfair life is while blaming everyone except yourself for the situation or you can get up from the floor, dust yourself off and move on. I prefer the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely get depressed about things sometimes - that's being human - but I don't let that engulf me and paralyze any further action. Not to mention that no one likes being around Eeyore, always moaning about how terrible life is.

I firmly believe that things happen for a reason. Just because I don't know the reason right now doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes! I'm not going anywhere so you are all stuck with me for a little longer. Wave

Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. - William Faulkner

ratrapp
Thursday, May 09, 2019 1:01:22 PM
Groups: Member
I hope your problems don't get you down.you seem like one of the glass half full persons who this world needs more of.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, May 09, 2019 1:06:45 PM
Shop at My Store
ratrapp wrote:
I hope your problems don't get you down.you seem like one of the glass half full persons who this world needs more of.

Thanks, Gary. Actually I'm that rare breed that thinks the glass is ALWAYS full. Half is filled with water and the other half with air! Winking

In the immortal words of Chumbawamba, "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You are never gonna keep me down"