Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Comics Library General Discussion » Marvel Carnage-ized Trade Dress
monidaw1
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:55:19 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store

Exactly half of all my Venom 15's, every other book alternated in the stack.

Every single copy of Symbiote Spider-man #3's a Bloody Trade.
lcfrick
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:52:45 PM
Groups: Member
Why is this a thing?

I at least understand a couple of other ones that I've seen, like the Red Sonja pre and post battle variants. Or the Transformers variant with battle damage variants.

But a little bit of the Carnage symbiote on the trade dress? Whoop-de friggin doo.

I'm getting the variant for Venom #15, so doesn't matter there, but I honestly don't care which one my dealer ships me of the Symbiote Spider-man #3. (Though glancing through Ebay, no one has an actual photo of the non-bloody version for sale. Every non-bloody is a pre-sale image taken from elsewhere.)

(And by no means is DC off the hook with their battle damage trade dresses coming up in August, though at least those don't seem to be split at all.)
monidaw1
Tuesday, June 11, 2019 11:12:06 PM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
Why is this a thing?

It allows people to easily seperate the books out and charge more. The two books in question are also the two books that have the one page Carnage stories included after the post credits on all copies. Makes me think they may target the others for this mixed cover thing as well causing chaos for the next two months trying to satisfy demand.

ABSOLUTE CARNAGE – EVERYONE IS A TARGET POST-CREDIT STORIES
The following titles in June and July will each have a new, one-page “Everyone is A Target” story. These “post-credit” one-page stories lead into the Absolute Carnage event this August!
JUNE
APR190824 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #24 (FOC 6/3/2019)
APR190760 DEADPOOL #14 (Reorders Available Now)
APR190828 SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #3 (Reorders Available Now)
APR190869 FANTASTIC FOUR #11 (FOC 6/3/2019)
APR190771 VENOM #15 (Reorders Available Now)
JULY
MAY190811 INVADERS #7 (FOC 6/24/2019)
MAY190746 AVENGERS #22 (FOC 7/8/2019)
MAY190834 BLACK CAT #2 (FOC 6/10/2019)
MAY190855 CAPTAIN MARVEL #8 (FOC 6/24/2019)
MAY190775 IMMORTAL HULK #20 (FOC 6/10/2019)

I can't even guess what the distribution is. I'm hearing other stores reporting all kinds of mixes, many getting none or only one mixed in.

Pricing is already going crazy with mycomicshop on the low end coming out the gate at $8 a copy.

It's going to be interesting to see what some of the stores report their mix percentages are. Apparently it's not a standardized mix.
lcfrick
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:02:05 AM
Groups: Member
This is just the classic Marvel move of trying to sell comics based on anything but interior art and writing.

There are just so many things wrong with this. Marvel not giving any notice that these were coming (to artificially create FOMO among readers) and then not distributing them evenly to dealers (to artificially create FOMO among dealers).

Of course the irony about this is that IDW did something almost similar to this this week with Transformers #7. Completely unannounced the latest issue comes polybagged with a booster pack for the new CCG. So... I'm taking the trek out tomorrow to try and pick up a copy of the 1:10 cover still in the polybag because.... I don't want to miss out and see it skyrocket in price and result in me having to pay more down to the road.

So, even if I think it's stupid, I won't fault anyone for getting sucked into this.

(Also, minor pet peeve, but it bothers me that being called the blood/bloody variant has already caught on when it seems like it's the Carnage symbiote, not blood.)
monidaw1
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:45:47 AM
Shop at My Store
The scalper guy shot the term "bloody" trade dress around the internet while I was scanning the Venom one. I didn't realize until later that they were also the books with the One Page Carnage stories.

I would say it was a play to sell more books at the publisher level but only 3 of the books on the One Page Story list haven't passed Final Order Cutoff yet. (That's the last day stores can increase their orders and be sure to get copies shipped.) It appears all the other titles would have sold out at Diamond and gone back for 2nd Printings most likely anyway. I went ahead and doubled my orders for those titles this morning just in case they do this thru the whole set.

That Transformers card set I can't say is a surprise since that it would be included is printed on the cover of A, B and C Variants. The surprising part is how stupid big the card packs are. Reminds me of the 90's when everything had a free CD ROM or try AOL disk damaging the comics they were packaged with. In this case at least they didn't try to force it inside the comic and went with a polybag around both instead. I also have secondary concerns that since it's printed on the cover that they're inside but aren't actually, if that doesn't automatically make every comic get labelled incomplete once you open the polybag and do anything else with the loose card pack.
Thundercron
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:32:07 PM
Shop at My Store
For what it's worth, I can verify that Symbiote #3 has both bloody and regular versions available at my local shop.
monidaw1
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:59:12 PM
Shop at My Store
I've talked to other stores that had no Carnage-ized mixed in so it appears to be a different percentage for each store. I may have to go shopping for Cover A's myself since it appears not to be listable here and I never got any A's myself. I did wishlist them and got some on back order that may never fill. I'm assuming it's not listable here since they don't have a cover scan available to show it as a different variant and Venom isn't even an offering this week for any variant much less the Carnage-ized so far. Now if we just knew somewhere the crackerjack staff could find viable scans in jpeg to use for the listings?? Confused

Quote:
(Also, minor pet peeve, but it bothers me that being called the blood/bloody variant has already caught on when it seems like it's the Carnage symbiote, not blood.)

Notice what I did there, I just made a concious choice to stop using "Bloody" and started using "Carnage-ized". I'll probably do that in my E-Bay listings also since they can't be loaded for sale here. The greatest journey begins with a single step or something like that. Whistle
Thundercron
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 7:34:44 PM
Shop at My Store
monidaw1 wrote:
I've talked to other stores that had no Carnage-ized mixed in so it appears to be a different percentage for each store. I may have to go shopping for Cover A's myself since it appears not to be listable here and I never got any A's myself. I did wishlist them and got some on back order that may never fill. I'm assuming it's not listable here since they don't have a cover scan available to show it as a different variant and Venom isn't even an offering this week for any variant much less the Carnage-ized so far. Now if we just knew somewhere the crackerjack staff could find viable scans in jpeg to use for the listings?? Confused

Quote:

Notice what I did there, I just made a concious choice to stop using "Bloody" and started using "Carnage-ized". I'll probably do that in my E-Bay listings also since they can't be loaded for sale here. The greatest journey begins with a single step or something like that. Whistle

Why not CR them yourself? You have them in-hand.