Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Grade for Detached Cover
monidaw1
Saturday, June 01, 2019 12:38:32 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store

All pages appear to be intact with no writing or anything cut out.

Thundercron
Saturday, June 01, 2019 1:47:03 PM
Shop at My Store
I believe a detached but present cover gets a "FAIR" designation, but could go as high as "GD-". Don't have my grading guide handy to consult. Quarter book either way, at best.
monidaw1
Saturday, June 01, 2019 2:24:17 PM
Shop at My Store
VG's are selling for more than $15 right now.

https://comicspriceguide.com/comic-book-grading

I don't see detached mentioned directly on CPG's list.

Possible Suicide Squad Movie casting.
Thundercron
Saturday, June 01, 2019 3:00:58 PM
Shop at My Store
Ah, I see.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, June 01, 2019 3:09:58 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I think that Good is the highest designation a coverless comic can be.

From Nostomania
Quote:

GD 2.0

Used copy with substantial wear. Overall look is as if read many times, but is still complete. Corners are likely rounded and worn, cover may have low or no reflectivity, spine may have a roll or up to a 2" split, staples may have discoloration or rust, and pages can be tan or even brown but not brittle. Moderate cover soiling and moderate staple tears allowed. Up to 5/8" piece may be missing on corner, edge, or interior page. Cover may have significant surface wear with book-length cover creases. Cover and centerfold may be detached.

and GD+ says
Quote:
GD+ 2.5

Used copy with substantial wear. Overall look is as if read many times, but is still complete. Corners are likely rounded and worn, cover may have low or no reflectivity, spine may have a roll or up to a 2" split, staples may have discoloration or rust, and pages can be tan but not brittle. Moderate cover soiling and significant staple tears allowed. Up to 1/2" piece may be missing on corner or edge. Cover may have significant surface wear with book-length cover creases. Cover may be detached at one staple, centerfold may be completely detached.

Howie's Saying of the Week

Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. - William Faulkner

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
MoonKnight1
Saturday, June 01, 2019 3:17:49 PM
Shop at My Store
The first appearance of Bronze Tiger was in Richard Dragon, Kung-Fu Fighter #18? Hypnotized It looks like Idris Elba might be playing him in the the next Suicide Squad movie? Hypnotized Hypnotized Hypnotized

BJ, that is an amazing pull. Props my friend. You have got your finger on the pulse! Applause Big Hug

Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. - William Faulkner

monidaw1
Sunday, June 02, 2019 7:32:48 AM
Shop at My Store
They've been hinting at Bronze Tiger possibly being in the movie for a while but the announcements made the price jump suddenly.

A lot of this you can catch by scrolling thru CBR's articles once a day for a few minutes.
Quote:
According to Forbes, Elba might be playing Benjamin Turner/Bronze Tiger. Created by Dennis O'Neil, Jim Berry and Leopoldo Duranona, Bronze Tiger made his first DC Comics appearance in 1975's Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter #1. He's a martial arts master that was at one point brainwashed by the League of Assassins. He eventually went on to become a superhero.
This is from yesterday's scroll thru where I found an article in it. I usually scroll a few minutes at least once a day right after checking the important stuff.

https://www.cbr.com/the-suicide-squad-idris-elba-bronze-tiger/

I figure if VG's are doing $15 and climbing, Good's should be about $10 and climbing and Fair's about $5. That's a nice increase from what it was listed at years ago before I knew the cover was detached. This one was so cleanly detached that it wasn't even obvious the cover was seperated until it was on the way to the scanner where it slide a little exposing the seperation.

This one's from April 9th hinting at it.
https://geektyrant.com/news/james-gunns-the-suicide-squad-will-draw-from-john-ostranders-comic-run-and-hints-at-idris-elbas-new-character

When all else fails you can always count on some reseller placing a 1 book order and drawing extra attention to it so it doesn't ship or trying to buy every single copy of something.
NathanielPhelps
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:10:47 PM
Groups: Member
Bronze Tiger
Publisher DC Comics
First appearance Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter #1 (May 1975)
Created by Dennis O'Neil Jim Berry Leopoldo Duranona
My best cover:

Thundercron
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:37:24 PM
Shop at My Store
NathanielPhelps wrote:
Bronze Tiger
Publisher DC Comics
First appearance Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter #1 (May 1975)
Created by Dennis O'Neil Jim Berry Leopoldo Duranona
My best cover:

CGC continues to confound me. They will massively downgrade a book due to a spine tick or two, then allow major defects to get a pass.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:12:23 PM
Shop at My Store
I don't understand how a 4.0 (VG) can be given to a comic with a detached cover. Confused It's my understanding that the highest grade for a book with detached cover was 2.0 (GD).

As far as your Amazing Fantasy #15 goes...Drooling Drooling Drooling Applause

I know it's not in the best condition but still...Daydreaming

Thundercron
Friday, June 14, 2019 3:34:04 AM
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I don't understand how a 4.0 (VG) can be given to a comic with a detached cover. Confused It's my understanding that the highest grade for a book with detached cover was 2.0 (GD).

As far as your Amazing Fantasy #15 goes...Drooling Drooling Drooling Applause

I know it's not in the best condition but still...Daydreaming

This is the same company that graded that then-record setting Action #1 a 9.0 even though it had rusty staples. I'm puzzled, but not surprised.