Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Mycomicshop.com / Lone Star Comics SUCKS!

Mycomicshop.com / Lone Star Comics SUCKS!

9 pages: First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
TheComicStore
Wednesday, September 03, 2014 3:41:32 PM
Groups: Member
Submit a complaint about the BBB to the BBB and see what happens. :)
"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."
pottersan
Wednesday, September 03, 2014 7:14:05 PM
Xylob wrote:
Atilla2k wrote:
If it accomplished anything I'd say more people need to complain to the BBB... but again look how far that got me.
Sadly, the BBB is NOT what it once was.
I sometimes get the impression that you can purchase an A+ rating...
You don't even have to pay atually.... just prove you are a business and if no one ever complains to them about you......... A+ !
Atilla2k
Thursday, September 04, 2014 7:43:50 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
TheComicStore wrote:
Submit a complaint about the BBB to the BBB and see what happens. :)

Hmmmmm.....Raised Eyebrow
MoonKnight1
Friday, December 05, 2014 1:53:46 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I was pricing some DC Millennium Editions and saw that several were listed on the four letter site for astronomical sums just because they were slabbed, I suppose. I was going to post something in the "Why is this issue worth so much?" thread. I mean, it's not like these are the actual first appearances of a character or whatever - they are merely reprints.

Then I noticed that the seller in question was mycomicshop and I decided to check out their feedback profile.

Ho-ly Cow!

Nearly 200 negatives this month - 300 in six months and over 500 in a year? Not to mention the 266 neutrals in a year? How is that tolerated? How is it possible that they are still a top rated seller?

I realize that a lot of those were from the same buyer who apparently placed a rather large order and got horrible customer service. But if you think about it, how PO'd was that person to take the time to enter a separate negative for each comic in the order? That had to take some time.

Just reinforces my inclination to not shop there.

Howie's Saying of the Week

Choose a job you love and you will never have to work another day of your life - Lots of People

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Atilla2k
Saturday, December 06, 2014 1:59:56 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Nearly 200 negatives this month - 300 in six months and over 500 in a year? Not to mention the 266 neutrals in a year? How is that tolerated? How is it possible that they are still a top rated seller?

It boggles the mind! People need to mass protest but don't, and even if they did there are those who would still not take notice until they are the ones who get screwed.

MoonKnight1 wrote:
But if you think about it, how PO'd was that person to take the time to enter a separate negative for each comic in the order? That had to take some time.

Just reinforces my inclination to not shop there.

From personal experience, I'd say pretty PO'd! I still tell all people I encounter not to spend money there, & I will for all of time.
jmbarnes101
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:45:49 AM
I've used mycomicshop for many years, since the time of my first comic liquidation and unfortunately didn't know of them at the time. For years they were fantastic. They offered decent credit prices, free shipping, and great packaging. However, since about the time they dropped free shipping things have been getting continually worse.

I had sent them an email when I found out about the change from free shipping and how a notice would have been appreciated. I got a terse form letter back. Since then on the couple of orders I got from them in exchange for credit I have received wrong books and damaged books. I had ordered the X-Force Olmibus and Operation Zero Tolerance HC's along with the two Starman crossover issues with Power of Shazam. They sent me the Starman Will Payton issues instead. The HC's we're supposed to be NM and VF respectively. X-Force arrived with badly dinged corners and OZT had the same but every page inside was dinged as well. Those obviously went back. Surprisingly, I didn't get banned.

I only ordered one other time with them to use that credit and the book was ok. They offer decent credit compared to elsewhere but things are definitely not looking good for everything else except their consignment area. I had sent in a couple books and they lost one. They sent me credit for more then the book was worth so that was a plus.
rwtf2008
Friday, December 18, 2015 10:51:38 AM
I wish I had seen this thread BEFORE trying to do business with them. I know some people have a great experience with them, but the way they treat others means I want no part of their business even if I were to double my money on numerous comics. Plus I'm already banned from selling to them again.

I listed a number of comics to sell to them and upon receiving one comic I agreed to sell, I had asked to cancel the transaction because it wasn't in the correct grade - I would have asked them to send it back anyway because I know their adjusted offer for it would have been too low for me to sell. I'm already banned from selling to them. Really? Silly My first package wasn't even in their P.O. box yet. I tried to intercept the package but to no avail...we'll wait and see.
heavyearly2000
Friday, December 18, 2015 11:29:07 AM
I ALWAYS check CCL first when ready to make a purchase. I made a few here over the past month. One I am currently having issues with and hope to have that resolved in the next day or two. I made one with MCS last month. I placed the order on a Saturday and got the books that Thursday with no problems. i would rather spend money here, but can't find what I want and if i do, some of the shipping options from sellers make it not worth the purchase.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/Forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=646784#646784[MY WANT LIST]

I realize your comic got a 9.8 grade from them; it still gets a 0.0 for content from me.
Atilla2k
Sunday, December 20, 2015 10:13:27 AM
rwtf2008 wrote:
I wish I had seen this thread BEFORE trying to do business with them. I know some people have a great experience with them, but the way they treat others means I want no part of their business even if I were to double my money on numerous comics. Plus I'm already banned from selling to them again.

I listed a number of comics to sell to them and upon receiving one comic I agreed to sell, I had asked to cancel the transaction because it wasn't in the correct grade - I would have asked them to send it back anyway because I know their adjusted offer for it would have been too low for me to sell. I'm already banned from selling to them. Really? Silly My first package wasn't even in their P.O. box yet. I tried to intercept the package but to no avail...we'll wait and see.

I hear you, all I can say is spread the word like I am trying to do! Post a negative review on all your social media accounts and ask your friends to share it, also leave negative reviews on consumer orientated sites like yelp too. AND for good measure file a complaint with the BBB, it won't amount to much but every negative in the column helps a fellow collector!
frozilla
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 12:15:07 AM
Atilla2k wrote:
rwtf2008 wrote:

I hear you, all I can say is spread the word like I am trying to do! Post a negative review on all your social media accounts and ask your friends to share it, also leave negative reviews on consumer orientated sites like yelp too. AND for good measure file a complaint with the BBB, it won't amount to much but every negative in the column helps a fellow collector!

I ran across a thread on another forum where someone was complaining about Beth Abbott. Apparently she still works there after being quite possibly the worst customer service person I've encountered. Stay away from MCS.
lcfrick
Saturday, June 08, 2019 1:47:31 PM
So rather than take Howie's "Should I buy these toys?" thread further off topic, I'm shifting the post over to this thread (which I suppose technically is off topic, but there are other posts complaining about shops other than Lone Star).

Original post:

lcfrick wrote:
And yet somehow for all of the lamentations from CCL stores about how long it takes them to get comics out and refunds during a sale, every single one of my experiences with them in those situations has been infinitely more palatable then my ongoing experience placing an order with the second largest comic book retailer in Illinois who had no major sale going on.

I placed an order on Memorial Day. They were upfront about how they only process orders once a week on Thursday. No big deal, they're up front about it. But when going to check out I find out they don't accept Paypal... who doesn't accept Paypal online? (These guys, apparently). On top of that you MUST keep a credit card on file with your account (seriously, that's crap. First thing I'm doing when I get my order is changing my CC number to gibberish and if that doesn't work, flat out deleting my account.)

So Thursday rolls around... and nothing. Friday... nothing. Finally they mark my order as being processed on Saturday. Not processed, but processing. It's not until Monday that the order is finally marked as processed and shipped. Except Tuesday rolls around and the tracking number shows that it wasn't dropped off with UPS yet. Finally Wednesday night rolls around and they finally give it to UPS. Crazy. (Even funnier, I also placed an order with the largest comic book retailer in Illinois on the same day and received their shipment before this one was even marked as being shipped.)

So yes, kudos to the sellers on CCL. You get backed up during sales, but still manage to do extremely well in getting everything out in a reasonable amount of time. (Also, sorry for cheating on CCL, but I placed the orders because of Transformers RI covers, which are few and far between to begin with on CCL, let alone ones I actually need.)

Follow-up:

I received the package today and thankfully everything was in order (though I was a bit annoyed that none of the comics came in bags and boards, I feel like if a comic is $7 or up, then a bag and a board without additional cost is a reasonable expectation by the buyer.)

I got another surprise when I went to log in to their site to try and change my credit card number to gibberish only to find that they let their security certificate lapse yesterday (6/7/19). That's insane to me! Unfortunately my original plan to change the credit card number they require to keep on file to gibberish didn't work, since everything I entered was flagged as invalid.

So I ended up emailing their support outlining my problems with requiring a credit card to be kept on file (which existed before their security certificate expired) and mentioning the other problems with how long it took for them to mail my shipment, a small shot about how in the hell do they not accept Paypal, and asking what steps I needed to take to delete my account permanently because I have no interest in ever doing business with them again.

At least I refrained from mentioning the order I placed with their competitor the same day as them that I received before they even marked my order as being shipped (which then took another 2 days to get to the carrier).

Oh, and the shop? G-Mart comics. Do not do business with G-Mart comics.

(Also, FWIW I've never had a problem with Lone Star, though I seem to be in the minority.)
jbeeman85
Sunday, June 09, 2019 3:15:51 PM
Glad you got your product at least lcfrick.

I also haven't had issues with Lone Star and have made several purchases with them since I first saw this thread years ago.
Xylob
Sunday, June 09, 2019 8:25:47 PM
generic Visa card number:
4716 3000 #### ####
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
4saken1
Sunday, June 16, 2019 7:02:20 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I haven't had any issues with Lone Star either. I buy mostly newer modern age comics from them. I think what you are buying from certain sellers can make a difference as to how satisfied you will be with your purchase. There are sellers here on CCL whom I will not buy anything older than a couple of years from, as I am fairly certain they store them without bags and boards and thus they generally come at a somewhat lower grade than advertised. I think this might be part of the reason that some people don't like to deal with them aside from the customer service aspect which I have never had the pleasure of experiencing myself as of yet.
ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Domestic orders of 25 or more comics qualify for FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Priority Mail orders of 25 or more comics receive a $5 refund (Foreign or Domestic orders).
Kevinbruns
Sunday, July 14, 2019 3:05:41 AM
4saken1 wrote:
There are sellers here on CCL whom I will not buy anything older than a couple of years from, as I am fairly certain they store them without bags and boards and thus they generally come at a somewhat lower grade than advertised. .

The fact that this site allows sellers to use stock photos for their books is a major reason I don't really use this site anymore. The books I generally need to purchase at this point are $100+ and Im not going to gamble at that price point. Most sellers have been spot on, but there has been a couple times that I have gotten books and and looking at them im like....eeeeh... yeah.. that was a bs grade there, though the price point didn't make it worth following up on.

Now i just come and look through the forums from time to time to see whats going on.
Thundercron
Sunday, July 14, 2019 10:49:16 AM
Shop at My Store
Kevinbruns wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
There are sellers here on CCL whom I will not buy anything older than a couple of years from, as I am fairly certain they store them without bags and boards and thus they generally come at a somewhat lower grade than advertised. .

The fact that this site allows sellers to use stock photos for their books is a major reason I don't really use this site anymore. The books I generally need to purchase at this point are $100+ and Im not going to gamble at that price point. Most sellers have been spot on, but there has been a couple times that I have gotten books and and looking at them im like....eeeeh... yeah.. that was a bs grade there, though the price point didn't make it worth following up on.

Now i just come and look through the forums from time to time to see whats going on.

You can always ask for scans or pics from the seller. No big hassle.
Kevinbruns
Sunday, July 14, 2019 8:19:03 PM
Thundercron wrote:

You can always ask for scans or pics from the seller. No big hassle.

Unless they cant figure out how to take photos small enough to be accepted by gmail accounts.

And yes, its not a big hassle, but still an inconvenience.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:09:01 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I actually like that we have stock photos.

First, I have 31,000 comics listed for sale. If I had to scan each and every one of them, including duplicates, that would take forever to accomplish. If I have five copies of Alpha Flight #5 in varying condition I would have to have five scans. Right now I can list all five and simply adjust the grade and price. Quick and easy.

Second, most other sites also use stock photos with the notable exception of eBay. Talk about a mixed bag there. Not only do I see a lot of stock photos used there anyway, I also see sideways pictures, blurry photos, bad cropping, poorly lit images, the wrong item, etc...

Yes, seeing a picture of something can give you a better idea of what you are getting. If the picture is worth a darn.

I also send scans of any comic that I have listed for sale if requested.

Not to mention the fact that if there is a comic in our database with an inferior image someone can always submit a Change Request with a better scan.

As far as grading goes, that is a very subjective skill. My advice would be to avoid sellers that consistently deliver what you consider to be over graded books and stick with the ones who you think did a better job evaluating the condition.

I myself try to grade conservatively but I have been told once or twice that I over grade. Like I said, very subjective.

Howie's Saying of the Week

Choose a job you love and you will never have to work another day of your life - Lots of People

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Thundercron
Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:30:47 PM
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I actually like that we have stock photos.

First, I have 31,000 comics listed for sale. If I had to scan each and every one of them, including duplicates, that would take forever to accomplish. If I have five copies of Alpha Flight #5 in varying condition I would have to have five scans. Right now I can list all five and simply adjust the grade and price. Quick and easy.

Second, most other sites also use stock photos with the notable exception of eBay. Talk about a mixed bag there. Not only do I see a lot of stock photos used there anyway, I also see sideways pictures, blurry photos, bad cropping, poorly lit images, the wrong item, etc...

Yes, seeing a picture of something can give you a better idea of what you are getting. If the picture is worth a darn.

I also send scans of any comic that I have listed for sale if requested.

Not to mention the fact that if there is a comic in our database with an inferior image someone can always submit a Change Request with a better scan.

As far as grading goes, that is a very subjective skill. My advice would be to avoid sellers that consistently deliver what you consider to be over graded books and stick with the ones who you think did a better job evaluating the condition.

I myself try to grade conservatively but I have been told once or twice that I over grade. Like I said, very subjective.

What Howie says 1000%. One of the big draws for me as a seller here were the stock photos. The idea of scanning each and every comic to sell on ebay wasn't worth the trouble, especially for cheap books. Granted, this was 12 years ago, and now it's super easy to take a pic with a cell phone and create an ebay listing. But I digress. The stock photos, for me, are also a throwback to the old days of buying comics in the mail via mail-order catalog or ad. You trust the seller to grade accurately. If they don't, you don't order again and move on. It's as simple as that.

As for it being an inconvenience to ask a seller for a scan...well, I guess we live in a world where sending a one-sentence PM to someone is considered too inconvenient to bother with. To each there own, I guess.
PCPaperbacks
Monday, July 15, 2019 11:50:14 AM
I have used them recently and haven't had any issues. I get my Zombie Tramp and Vampblade from them every 6 months. Since my comic show won't give a price break on these and I get only cover A. I order from them. They have all the bizarre covers to chose from and they are at the same price as my shop. I always add a few comics to the order that I missed or didn't know about. They always ship the right book, it is packaged well and is fair priced.
Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"