Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » Natalie Portman replaces Chris Hemsworth as Thor

Natalie Portman replaces Chris Hemsworth as Thor

MoonKnight1
Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:58:11 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
The sarcasm in this is so thick that you couldn't cut through it with a chainsaw...

Female Thor - At last, Marvel gives fans what they ALWAYS WANTED!

Howie's Saying of the Week

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:39:54 PM
Groups: Member
MoonKnight1 wrote:
The sarcasm in this is so thick that you couldn't cut through it with a chainsaw...

Female Thor - At last, Marvel gives fans what they ALWAYS WANTED!

And I get it, too.

You tell the average person that the next Thor is going to be a woman and their initial reaction will rarely be good.

But I did like the Jane Foster Thor story-line. I thought Jason Aaron did a great job on it and he had most, if not all, of the run planned out from practically the beginning of Thor: God of Thunder.

I don't know how well it will translate to the big screen, it depends entirely on how she ends up with the hammer. In the comics it was a slow burn for the reveal that Jane Foster was the new Thor and a REALLY slow burn for the reveal of what made Thor unworthy of the hammer (about 4 years).

Maybe if they have something happen in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 which makes Thor unworthy and then have the stinger be a female hand picking up the hammer, then leading into Thor: Love and Thunder. Outside of that it seems like the pacing would be really forced to try and get everything into the movie.

Of course the big difference between the movies and comics is that the movies are eventually going to end and don't have to cover nearly as much material. So they can kill off characters and make everything much more final.

Compared to comics, where status quo is king. Characters rarely die permanently and almost all of the time any legacy characters who replace originals will be re-replaced by the originals again.

(I always get a laugh out of people who complained about Captain America being black or a Nazi (spoiler alert, Steve Rogers is going to be Cap again and he won't be a Nazi anymore.) Or an Asian is Hulk (spoiler alert, Bruce Banner will be the Hulk again.) etc etc
scotteaves
Monday, July 29, 2019 1:22:28 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
lcfrick wrote:

Maybe if they have something happen in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 which makes Thor unworthy and then have the stinger be a female hand picking up the hammer, then leading into Thor: Love and Thunder. Outside of that it seems like the pacing would be really forced to try and get everything into the movie.

While a great idea (and makes sense), GotG 3 isn't even on the release schedule yet. James Gunn is re-doing Suicide Squad before he gets to GotG 3.

My biggest question about Mjolnir is where did it disappear to after Cap took it back in time while returning the Inifity Stones? I'm assuming that will have to be answered during/before Thor: Love and Thunder.
BlueMoon
Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:23:25 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
A question -- that I noticed when I saw Ragnarok, but didn't bother bring up.

Hela caught Mjolnir, before she destroyed it. Did that make her worthy?
Thundercron
Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:59:34 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
BlueMoon wrote:
A question -- that I noticed when I saw Ragnarok, but didn't bother bring up.

Hela caught Mjolnir, before she destroyed it. Did that make her worthy?

I'm guessing the scene was included because it made for a cool moment, not because it made sense. Kind of like when Cap nudges Mjolnir in Age of Ultron. Really, if you're worthy, you're worthy, and you can pick up the hammer. You can't be kind of worthy, and then get to kind of move the hammer. But it made for a cool scene.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:04:44 PM
Shop at My Store
Good question!

Hmmm, she stopped Mjolnir but did she hold or lift it? Think

If you were to put Mjolnir in an elevator and pressed UP does that mean the elevator is worthy? Silly

So in Norse mythology and the Marvel comics Hela is the daughter of Loki and a giantess but in the MCU she is Odin's first born. I'm guessing that her mother was Frigga but don't think that was ever established. As Odin's offspring she certainly could be worthy.

Also it could depend on your definition of "worthy". She was worthy enough to be Odin's second in command at one point.

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

MoonKnight1
Wednesday, August 07, 2019 6:11:16 PM
Shop at My Store
Guess what I just found while sorting through unlisted inventory.

Dancing Drooling Big Grin Coming soon...Waiting

lcfrick
Wednesday, August 07, 2019 8:28:06 PM
Groups: Member
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Guess what I just found while sorting through unlisted inventory.

-Pic of What If? #10-
Dancing Drooling Big Grin Coming soon...Waiting

I recently re-read all of my What Ifs and came across my copy of that issue and I was stunned at how immaculate my copy was. I mean I was thinking 9.6/9.8 range. So I was super careful reading it at the table, lifting each page carefully, all the while considering slabbing it and selling it...

...Only to get to the last page before the back cover and seeing it missing a huge chunk.

But other than that one major defect which completely ruins the grade, phenomenal copy.
MoonKnight1
Friday, August 09, 2019 6:46:31 PM
Shop at My Store
Oooh, I hate when that happens. Crying

Couple years ago, right before Guardians of the Galaxy 2 came out I found a copy of Thor #132 - first appearance of Ego, the Living Planet.

My first impression upon looking at it was, "Wow, this is a Very Fine or up, at least." Flipped through it and kept thinking the same thing, pages were creamy white, hardly any wear and all I see is dollar signs. Put it down with the intention of grading it VF or VF+ maybe even VF/NM. It was an amazing comic.

But something about it bugged me, couldn't figure out what it was. So I looked through it again very carefully. Suddenly it hit me. Someone had cut out the last page splash with Ego showing up. Couldn't believe that I missed it the first time but whoever had cut it out had done such a magnificent job of it that it was virtually undetectable. It was cut so close to the spine that I could barely even see it even knowing what I was looking for. The obverse page was still firmly attached and the pages on each side had no signs of being sliced.

As much as I admired the skill of the comic book defacer I was still nonplussed by his or her actions. I only hope that they did something special with that page. Daydreaming