Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » And Football is back! NFL 2019 talk.
4 pages: 1 2 [3] 4
monidaw1
Sunday, September 08, 2019 8:45:45 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Quote:
who's ready for some football ?

Hoping for the best viewing season in years.

New 55" is set up with the built in Roku stuff so I can have Hulu show the Redskins on both rooms TV's so if customers come in to shop while the games on, which I've never understood, I can not miss a thing switching from one set to another and with the recording option I can go back and watch it over and over again anything I miss.

MoonKnight1
Sunday, September 08, 2019 9:48:50 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
My official prediction for the Redskins this year is 5-11 although I wouldn't be surprised if they went 6-10.

The defense looks amazing so aside from injuries Pray they should be alright. The offense, not so much. Case Keenum is solid but not spectacular, the O-line is missing it's best player and appears to have a problem with both run and pass blocking, as stated earlier in this thread I have scant confidence in the receiving corps. I do think they have a plethora of good to great Running Backs although it remains to be seen what exactly Guice will look like in actual game situations. Plus I'm sure that opposing defenses will stack 8 men in the box and dare the Skins to pass.

What this all means to me is that to win games the defense will have to play lights out and generate turnovers, possibly score points themselves and the offense will have to be ball control, eat the clock and sustain drives. They'll have to win 14-10 or 9-7, there's no way they can win in a shootout. Falling behind by two scores might be Game Over as I don't see them being capable of scoring quickly.

Hope I'm wrong and despite what I said I will still pick them to win every game in our competition! Laughing Loser Time Out

Howie's Saying of the Week

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minute longer - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
monidaw1
Sunday, September 08, 2019 11:44:05 AM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
Redskins Week 1 Inactive List:
RB Adrian Peterson
TE Jordan Reed
QB Colt McCoy
CB Fabian Moreau
OL Ross Pierschbacher
OL Wes Martin
DL Treyvon Hester

Now I'm in the 6-10 boat as well if Gruden is stupid enough to not take advantage of having two great running backs with a share the load run most attack. After putting Davis on the street yesterday that's enough. Fire up the coaching carousel again. Who's out there wowing people in college wanting to come make us look stupid next year?

lcfrick
Sunday, September 08, 2019 1:15:14 PM
Groups: Member
My prediction for the Ravens this year is 11-5. Won't be enough for a first round bye, but will be enough to win the division and get the #3 seed.

I think the two big factors to this prediction are that Lamar Jackson is going to progress significantly as a passer, but still be extremely dangerous running. And the other is that the defense will be just as good as it was last year. Combine an improved offense with a top 5 defense and signs point to this team looking good this year.

The thing with the defense is that a lot of pundits are talking about how much talent the Ravens lost in Eric Weddle, Terrell Suggs, C.J. Mosley, and Za'Darius Smith. Which would be a good point except for the fact that those same pundits have spent the last few years talking about how Weddle and Suggs have lost a step and the Ravens defense was going to be terrible specifically because they refused to replace those players. (Mosley was a legit really hard loss, but I can't blame him for the absurd amount of money the Jets threw at him. And Smith is the latest in a long line of pass rushers who leave the Ravens after their rookie contract expires.)

So the Ravens are worse with Weddle and Suggs on the team... but also worse if they leave. Go figure.
lcfrick
Sunday, September 08, 2019 1:31:38 PM
Okay, so in the first three drives of the Ravens/Dolphins game:

1st drive: Top offensive free agent acquisition Mark Ingram breaks a 49 yard run and later scores a TD.

2nd drive: Top defensive free agent acquisition Earl Thomas intercepts Ryan Fitzpatrick.

3rd drive: 1st round selection Marquis Brown scores a TD.

That's both a good way to start the season and a good way to feel validated by off-season moves.
monidaw1
Sunday, September 08, 2019 2:00:41 PM
Shop at My Store
Scary Terry for 70 yard touchdown!!!!!!

Gruden's winning me back with a 17-0 start.
monidaw1
Sunday, September 08, 2019 6:52:16 PM
Shop at My Store
Back on the Fire Him Wagon. Nothing I saw looked better than AP last year or his one carry in preseason this year. A run heavy attack in the second half would have helped keep the defense off the field and more rested while dealing with the loss of Allen on the line. Scary Terry was wide open a second time and Keenum missed him. He should have finished the game with better stats and highlights than Jackson.
monidaw1
Monday, September 09, 2019 7:16:09 AM
Shop at My Store
48 Derrius Guice 10 carries for 18 yards 1.8 yd per carry average. That's 5.4 feet per carry which in comparison is less than AP should have gotten if he just fell down forward 10 times since he's 6' 1"s tall.

He finished 48th in the league for the week and there's still two games to go so he may easily get bumped into the 50's as 4 or 5 more runners do better falling down.

If he hadn't missed a wide open Scary Terry in the 2nd half Kennum would be #1 in passing this week and the rookie would have finished #1 in receiving. They managed to finish #5 in passing right now for the week, 11th overall and the defense finished #7 overall for the week.

Gruden on AP
Quote:
"We have a game where we think we can run the ball 55 times in the game in the I-formation, then sure, I'll get him up,"

That was yesterday when you were supposed to be protecting a lead and chewing up clock!!!!!!!

Has any coach ever been fired after week 1? I know Dan has pulled the trigger mid season before. There has to be someone who can watch some early 80's Redskins tapes and design a half dozen running plays to feature two great backs although Guice hasn't shown anything yet to deserve the accolade. AP had more yards on 1 carry in the preseason than Guice had the entire game.

Best news to hope for this week is a new coach that knows to keep greatness on the field dressed up. If he was worried that much about tackling Sprioles on punts then just tell Way to kick every single one out of bounds, problem solved!! That and Trent returning to the team. Even when Trent was here last year he wouldn't run enough to take over games and wear opponents down by the 4th quarter.

monidaw1
Monday, September 09, 2019 1:43:44 PM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
A year after a suffering a severe left knee injury, Derrius Guice is now having trouble with his right.
The second-year Washington Redskins running back underwent an MRI on his right knee Monday morning and is expected to miss some time, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
The team is hoping he won't need surgery and will conduct a full evaluation to rule out all possibilities, per Rapoport.

Unbelievable. You do the unimaginable to piss off AP justifiably and now Guice is out so you need him again immediately. Let's hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder Sunday and takes it out on Dallas to make Gruden look really, really stupid!!!!
MoonKnight1
Monday, September 09, 2019 2:33:29 PM

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minute longer - Ralph Waldo Emerson

monidaw1
Monday, September 09, 2019 6:38:49 PM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
WR Robert Davis clears waivers, Redskins to sign him to practice squad

The Comeback Kid is back!

Now if we can get Trent back, fire the head coach, fire the defensive coordinator, hire one of the Ryan kids to run the defense and be head coach and hand off the offense to whoever's still here with instructions on how to design a few running plays life may turn around. Someone, somewhere in the organization must have a Beta or VHS tape of any game from the Gibbs era.
lcfrick
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:19:29 AM
Will it never end?

Antonio Brown is facing a civil lawsuit for allegedly sexually assaulting a trainer.

The details released so far by the plaintiff sure seem quite damning, though I always try to be skeptical of cases like this where a civil lawsuit is filed where no criminal charges were attempted to be filed.

Apparently the NFL is considering putting Brown on the commissioner's exempt list, which would prevent him from playing.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:31:20 AM
lcfrick wrote:
Will it never end?

Antonio Brown is facing a civil lawsuit for allegedly sexually assaulting a trainer.

The details released so far by the plaintiff sure seem quite damning, though I always try to be skeptical of cases like this where a civil lawsuit is filed where no criminal charges were attempted to be filed.

Apparently the NFL is considering putting Brown on the commissioner's exempt list, which would prevent him from playing.

The other stuff was funny. The frozen feet, helmet, threatening to punch the GM, etc. This, not so funny.

Apparently he is not denying that sexual activity happened but he is saying that it was consensual. I'm withholding judgement right now until I hear more. The alleged incidents happened a year or two ago and were never reported to the police. The only two people who know what really happened are Brown and the woman. Man, I hate this (banned).

monidaw1
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:19:32 PM
Shop at My Store
So he makes the Commisioner's exempt list, gets cut from the Patriots, clears waivers and signed by the Redskins and sometime in November or next summer at camp he breaks his ankle on his first play at practice.

That sounds like a formula the Redskins have used before. Big Grin
jbeeman85
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:23:54 PM
monidaw1 wrote:
So he makes the Commisioner's exempt list, gets cut from the Patriots, clears waivers and signed by the Redskins and sometime in Novemeber or next summer at camp he breaks his ankle on his first play at practice.

That sounds like a formula the Redskins have used before. Big Grin

Yeah, but Antonio Brown doesn't do practice so no worries there.
monidaw1
Friday, September 13, 2019 10:48:00 AM
Shop at My Store
Dallas week and the news is light.

Trying to rub my crystal ball to see how Sunday plays out.

AP for 300 yards and a score. Scary Terry for 125 yards and a score. We lose by a field goal late as Kenum gets hurt and Haskins for some unknown reason is in street cloths as a Healthy Inactive addition. Good news is Gruden gets fired by 6PM and the Ryan Brothers take over the team in time to get us in the playoffs as a wild card. Applause

On his exit interview conducted in the parking lot Gruden mumbles some nonsense about not wanting to punt out of bounds and needed an extra body for punt coverage so Haskins was inactive since he doesn't play special teams. Wall
lcfrick
Friday, September 13, 2019 12:13:40 PM
Some horrifying stats about Cam Newton.

The Panthers are 0-8 in the last 8 games he's started.

He hasn't thrown a TD pass in his last 4 games.

He hasn't run for a TD in his last 9 games.

And, the dagger to the heart, on a 4th and inches late in the game, he never touched the ball... not even on the snap.

(And that's not getting into the old Russian woman look he had going on in the post game.)

Good news for the Panthers is that if they cut him after this season, he'd only count for $2m in dead money next year.
monidaw1
Friday, September 13, 2019 6:22:14 PM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
Jay Gruden stepped up to the podium after today's practice, a requirement he seems to hate more and more by the day. He said Jordan Reed's not going to play this week. Jonathan Allen, Caleb Brantley, Colt McCoy and Derrius Guice are also out. Injured reserve is possible for Guice who had knee surgery this week, and Colt McCoy who still isn't right from his broken leg last year. The Redskins will also sign WR Robert Davis from the practice squad today.

Guice and Brantley are now on the IR List. Colt McCoy is continuing to tie up a roster spot. The only bright spot is Robert Davis is back on the team safe from getting snatched off the practice squad by another team after getting named the #1 PS player in the country today by CBS.

Now if they'll go ahead and get

Quote:
4. Jeremy Reaves, S, Redskins
Reaves was everywhere for the Redskins in the preseason, and his collegiate career at South Alabama foreshadowed his multi-faceted skills at the safety position. The No. 141 overall prospect on my 2018 Big Board -- and No. 13 safety -- went undrafted after registering at least 85 tackles in each of his final three years with a grand total of eight picks, eight forced fumbles, and 22 pass breakups in those seasons.
Despite a smaller-ish frame and average-at-best athletic ability, Reaves finds the football thanks to high-caliber instincts on the back end, and he's a willing, reliable run defender.

signed before someone snatches him.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:58:08 PM
Been trying to put last week's game out of my head so before I forget about it completely, here's what I think.

What kind of moron leaves their Offensive MVP on the sideline in street clothes without any chance of getting into the game? Jay Gruden's rationale for putting Adrian Peterson on the Inactive List was ridiculous, inane and downright stupid. There is NO scenario ever in which you don't want your best player to play or at least be available if he's healthy and sometimes even if he's not healthy. Apparently AP was healthy but JG wasn't planning on running the ball 51 times or something. Hey, maybe if you had run Peterson 50+ times you would have won the game you anti-genius! Wall

Speaking of dumb coaching decisions, why switch from Man-to-man to the Zone? In the quarter and a half that Quinton Dunbar covered DeSean Jackson DJ had only 3 catches for 17 yards plus an Unsportsmanlike Penalty because he was so frustrated. This plan was working so well that the "brain trust" decided to go to the zone "prevent" defense and on the very next Eagles drive Jackson caught a 53 yard touchdown pass. Not to be deterred, the Redskins coaches continued with this brilliant strategy and DeSean ended up with 155 yards on 8 catches and two 50 yard plus TD's. Bravo. Applause

Here is what I said last week:
MoonKnight1 wrote:
the defense will have to play lights out and generate turnovers, possibly score points themselves and the offense will have to be ball control, eat the clock and sustain drives. They'll have to win 14-10 or 9-7, there's no way they can win in a shootout. Falling behind by two scores might be Game Over as I don't see them being capable of scoring quickly.

Defense - played well for the first 20 minutes or so and then collapsed
Offense - See above.

When you have a 17 point lead the game plan should be to
Quote:
eat the clock and sustain drives
. The first three drives for the Skins offense in the 2nd half were: three and out, three and out, three and out. Maybe if you had a workhorse running back on the field who could pound out yardage on the ground...Straight Face

Defense had no turnovers, didn't score points and looked worn down after having spent 3/4 of the second half on the field.

Well, now that Derrius Goose-Egg is on IR Gruden will have no other choice than to play AP. Unless they can't afford the spot because they decide to carry a second punter this week. You know, just in case. Loser

MoonKnight1
Monday, September 16, 2019 12:47:15 PM
Uh-Oh!!!

Remember when the Steelers had The Three B's? Bell, Brown and Big Ben.

Not anymore. Steelers season over