Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » TV » Disney+ Am I going to have to subscribe?

Disney+ Am I going to have to subscribe?

MoonKnight1
Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:01:04 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Aaarrggh!!

I don't see how I'm not going to have to get this. I already have cable, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon and now I'm going to be forced to get another streaming service?

At least eight MCU spinoff shows: Falcon, Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Loki, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Loki, She-Hulk, Moon Knight (!), Ms. Marvel and a What if...? anthology!

Won't have all the MCU movies at first but they are a'coming.

Star Wars! All the movies! New shows! The Mandalorian! Cassian Andor/Rogue One! Clone Wars Season 7! Ewan McGregor/ Obi-Wan!

Oh, I gotta take a breath. Whew!

Howie's Saying of the Week

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:25:23 AM
Groups: Member
Just wait until the whole season has aired of several shows and then subscribe for a month or two and then watch them all.

I don't get why streaming services have started to go to a weekly new episode schedule. (I take that back, I do know, they think that it will keep people subscribed for longer.) It just seems like they're fleecing the market to wring every penny they can out of it. See microtransactions in $60 games.

I don't mind staying subscribed to Netflix for 12 months out of a year because they release original shows that I watch every month, plus movies on top of that. (And they released all episodes of a season at once.)

Of course the other people are going to hit a point where people get burned out by having to subscribe to too many services and those are the services they're going to unsubscribe to first.
comicuniversity
Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:48:14 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator
This has been coming for a long time.

The days of spending next to nothing for your content is gone.

It was a nice run while it lasted.

You're just gonna have to make choices. You don't need every single streaming service and cable option out there right? Choose one or two (or Three if that's you're lifestyle) and just watch those ones. They ALL have plenty of content to keep most people happy for a long time.
Thundercron
Monday, November 11, 2019 12:56:28 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
This has been coming for a long time.

The days of spending next to nothing for your content is gone.

It was a nice run while it lasted.

You're just gonna have to make choices. You don't need every single streaming service and cable option out there right? Choose one or two (or Three if that's you're lifestyle) and just watch those ones. They ALL have plenty of content to keep most people happy for a long time.

I totally agree with this. Back in the eighties, nobody complained that there were too many premium cable channels. You just picked one or two or three you liked and stuck with those. It was never expected that the average person would subscribe to everything. Today, though, everyone feels entitled that they need to have all the services out there. My favorite is when people float the idea that all streaming services should be available somehow under one umbrella and price. It's just ridiculous. Also, the practice of subscribing to the free trial and then dumping it after watching your shows is the same as buying something from a department store with a generous return policy, using it for what you need, then returning it for your refund. It's just sleazy. And cheap.

As for Disney+.....yeah, the bundle is too good to pass up for the price. I live out in the sticks, though. No internet cable, and the satellite internet can make for some buffering issues. If the connections can be more consistent and improved, then I'm in.
wildd0g
Monday, November 11, 2019 4:24:38 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
MoonKnight1 wrote:
At least eight MCU spinoff shows: Falcon, Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Loki, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Loki, She-Hulk, Moon Knight (!), Ms. Marvel and a What if...? anthology!

Falcon and Winter Soldier is one show and so is WandaVision (Scarlet Witch and Vision). Also, you listed Loki twice.

But yeah, it's going to be crazy. Especially when they have reported that these shows will impact stories for the upcoming movies. The Loki series will have ties to Doctor Strange 2 and it has been confirmed that She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight will make the jump to the movies after their respective shows air.
MoonKnight1
Monday, November 11, 2019 5:08:46 PM
Shop at My Store
wildd0g wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Falcon and Winter Soldier is one show and so is WandaVision (Scarlet Witch and Vision). Also, you listed Loki twice.

But yeah, it's going to be crazy. Especially when they have reported that these shows will impact stories for the upcoming movies. The Loki series will have ties to Doctor Strange 2 and it has been confirmed that She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight will make the jump to the movies after their respective shows air.

I was just listing the characters in the shows not the shows themselves and I mentioned Loki twice because I have a cat named Loki and apparently he walked across the keyboard as I was typing. Big Grin

This is only the beginning, I think. Sure there have been eight shows announced but there is a wealth of material out there for them to use.

It's just a matter of time until they announce:

Power Pack!
Dakota North!
Squadron Supreme!
Paladin!
Excalibur!

and...

Squirrel Girl!!!

Rolling on the Floor

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

wildd0g
Monday, November 11, 2019 8:30:49 PM
Groups: Approver, Member
Well there is a canceled pilot for New Warriors with Squirrel Girl. Maybe that will show up some day.
bluedevil2002
Monday, November 11, 2019 9:20:44 PM
Thundercron wrote:

I totally agree with this. Back in the eighties, nobody complained that there were too many premium cable channels. You just picked one or two or three you liked and stuck with those. It was never expected that the average person would subscribe to everything.

Back then, the premium channels had little to no exclusive original content. Even in recent years, the premium channels were limited by linear schedules, so there were only so many new shows they could add to their lineup at a given time.

My biggest beef with the streaming wars is how every studio thinks they can make it on their own and cut Netflix out of the middle. What they don't realize is that Disney is literally the only studio that can get away with doing their own thing. They've cultivated their brand over 80 years to where everyone knows what a "Disney movie" is. Outside of that, the general public doesn't know or care what logo is at the front of a movie.
bluedevil2002
Monday, November 11, 2019 9:28:20 PM
I liked the idea of the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle until I saw it only included the ad version of Hulu. If they made a bundle with the ad-free Hulu, I'd probably be all over it.

I admit, I'm a little lazy with watching sometimes. I have a few series that I own on DVD and wanted to watch, but preferred a streaming option. I don't have disc players attached to all of my TVs anymore (largely due to number of available ports), and in most cases, I just wanted to have the show on as I fell asleep. Sure enough, every time I check Prime or Netflix for them, I find out that they're on Hulu instead.
SwiftMann
Monday, November 11, 2019 10:55:37 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
We (barely) use my sister's Netflix subscription. She will use our (likely heavily used) Disney+ subscription.

We did the 3 years prepaid for the price of 2 deal in the summer.

Although it kicks off in like 4 hours and I'm still not 100% sure how to a) get it or b) log-in. Laughing
Thundercron
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:58:54 AM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

I totally agree with this. Back in the eighties, nobody complained that there were too many premium cable channels. You just picked one or two or three you liked and stuck with those. It was never expected that the average person would subscribe to everything.

Back then, the premium channels had little to no exclusive original content. Even in recent years, the premium channels were limited by linear schedules, so there were only so many new shows they could add to their lineup at a given time.

Which illustrates how much better even one average streaming service is. When I got my first job in the nineties, mimimum wage was $4.75/hr, and a subscription to HBO was about fifteen bucks. So it was three hours of wages for HBO (technically more, if you want to account for tax deductions). Streaming services now are around eight to ten bucks a month, which is less than one hour's worth of minimum wage, and the service is so much better. They're not restricted by a linear schedule (as you pointed out)--you have immediate access to watch anything at any time. Not only that, but you don't have to be shackled to your television anymore to watch this stuff. Yet people still complain about the cost. I just don't get it.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 12:02:22 PM
Shop at My Store
SwiftMann wrote:
Although it kicks off in like 4 hours and I'm still not 100% sure how to a) get it or b) log-in. Laughing

I subscribed yesterday. When/if you figure out how to use it please let me know. Confused

MoonKnight1
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:40:50 PM
Shop at My Store
I've got it. I can watch it on my computer. Can't figure out how to get it to the TV. At Wits' End

I have a Vizio Smart TV but apparently that is not supported by Disney+. I guess there's something called Chromecast that might work but I have no idea how to do that.

Since I sit in front of the computer all day listing comics and toys I don't want to have to sit here and watch TV shows and movies too. Much rather plop down on the couch with my feet on the ottoman and a much larger screen to view. Short of getting a new, compatible, television looks like I'm out of luck. Broken Heart

Thundercron
Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:17:30 PM
Shop at My Store
If your Vizio has an HDMI hookup, you can buy an adapter that plugs your into your phone so you can watch what's on your phone on your tv screen. It's what I'll probably do.
SwiftMann
Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:31:43 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
We had to go the Amazon Firestick route, but we already had one of those we weren't using.

If your tv is wifi enabled you should just be able to cast directly from the app on your phone to the tv