Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » College Football 2019
MoonKnight1
Sunday, September 08, 2019 9:55:37 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
A little late but here it is!

I'm excited about the Virginia Cavaliers so far! They were picked by a lot of people to win the Coastal and go to the ACC Championship (presumably against Clemson). Last week in the first game of the season they knocked off the defending Coastal champs Pitt in a very convincing win. Then a couple days ago they demolished William & Mary which should be no surprise but the Cavs recent history would suggest otherwise.

They have an explosive offense, a stout defense and exceptional special teams. Bronco Mendenhall has totally turned the team around in a matter of a few years and it is getting better all the time.

BEAT TECH!!!!!

Howie's Saying of the Week

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Sunday, September 08, 2019 11:01:41 AM
Groups: Member
I didn't think to check how Maryland was doing before I saw this thread pop-up, but holy crap, they might actually be good this year!

79-0 against a cupcake (Howard), with only 30 total yards allowed (29 passing, 1 rushing)

63-20 against #21 ranked Syracuse. The first time in almost 20 years that an unranked team beat a ranked team by at least 38 points.
bluedevil2002
Sunday, September 08, 2019 5:32:21 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
They were picked by a lot of people to win the Coastal and go to the ACC Championship

To be fair, the Coastal is a complete crap shoot, even moreso than usual. UVA was really the only team that was trending upward at the end of last season.

-Duke is Duke. With Cutcliff, they'll be decent, but not great, and their QB left.
-Pitt - they always just seem like a team that is there.
-UNC - huge question mark by hiring Mack Brown again. Although they've done much better in 2 games than I anticipated.
-Miami - another team with a coaching change, but still no O-line.
-VT - team imploded on itself last year, but most of the trouble makers should be gone. Biggest issue is youth on the team.
-GT - having to completely overhaul after ditching Chinballs and the triple option.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 14, 2019 4:04:24 PM
Shop at My Store
Is Nick Satan and Alabama seriously tracking students cell phones to find out if they left games earlier? And then punishing them? Time Out Hypnotized

Nick Saban is Your Big Brother

Dude, if you don't want them leaving games early then stop beating North Southern Iowa Community College by 72 points! Better yet, stop scheduling cupcakes. Silly

We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it - William Faulkner

lcfrick
Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:55:36 PM
lcfrick wrote:
I didn't think to check how Maryland was doing before I saw this thread pop-up, but holy crap, they might actually be good this year!

79-0 against a cupcake (Howard), with only 30 total yards allowed (29 passing, 1 rushing)

63-20 against #21 ranked Syracuse. The first time in almost 20 years that an unranked team beat a ranked team by at least 38 points.

Aaaaaand they lost to an unranked opponent.

Also, WTF, Alabama?
MoonKnight1
Monday, November 11, 2019 5:21:25 PM
Shop at My Store
Please, please, please let Florida State hire Deion Sanders as their next head coach!

That would be so funny! Laughing

Shaking my head. A one loss Alabama still has a 44% chance of making the playoffs. I bet if they lost a second game someone would come up with an exemption that gets them in anyway. Talk to the Hand

bluedevil2002
Monday, November 11, 2019 7:46:04 PM
I saw someone making an argument about how 1-loss Alabama would be a better choice than undefeated Clemson. One of his points was something along the lines of how does a loss to a 4-win team not affect a CFP contender as much as a loss to another contender. He was referring to Clemson losing to Syracuse or some other crap ACC team a couple of years ago, and then Alabama losing to LSU.

I would argue that Alabama already had their shot against another contender and lost. Why should they get another?

But this is the same guy that kept arguing that Michigan State shouldn't have been in the CFP the year that they got shut out in the semi-final. Yet he would never say who should have replaced them. That was the year that Michigan State, Iowa, and another Big Ten team were the last three 1-loss teams to take the last spot, and MSU beat both of the other teams during the season.

And yes, I am aboard the Deion train too.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, December 01, 2019 12:02:54 PM
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I'm excited about the Virginia Cavaliers so far! They were picked by a lot of people to win the Coastal and go to the ACC Championship (presumably against Clemson). Last week in the first game of the season they knocked off the defending Coastal champs Pitt in a very convincing win. Then a couple days ago they demolished William & Mary which should be no surprise but the Cavs recent history would suggest otherwise.

They have an explosive offense, a stout defense and exceptional special teams. Bronco Mendenhall has totally turned the team around in a matter of a few years and it is getting better all the time.

BEAT TECH!!!!!

Dancing Applause Party Laughing Clown Dancing Cool Winking Whew!

Get ready, Clemson - here come the Cavaliers!!!!Wave Rolling on the Floor

Amazing game the other day. UVA was up, then Tech was up then back and forth. It was anybody's ballgame up until the last couple of minutes.

They're giving Clemson a 90% chance to win which might be a little low and of course everyone pretty much expects the Tigers to pummel the Cavs. But that's why they play the games.

It will take a herculean effort to defeat Clemson but I think the Cavs definitely have the opportunity to do so. The one thing that worries me is our running backs can't seem to get any yards. It's pretty much all Perkins. They are going to have to find a way to get some long, time consuming drives that result in points (preferably TDs) and keep Clemson's offense off the field.

Special Teams need to play an important part for UVA. They have a number of excellent return men and the blocking schemes on punts and kickoffs usually result in good field position. Gotta keep the pressure on Clemson's defense with a shorter field. Brian Delaney is very accurate and hasn't missed many field goals or XPs in his career and his distance is extremely nice. He's hit from 50 yards a few times. Nash Griffin and the punting unit usually do a good job of covering punts and dropping them inside the 20. I also wouldn't rule out a fake or two.

Overwhelming odds, I admit. Stranger things have happened. Daydreaming Pray Kiss

MoonKnight1
Monday, December 02, 2019 1:34:45 PM
Shop at My Store
There are a lot of whiners in College Football. Nick Saban is one of the worst.

"It's not fair, they called a trick play!" Boo Hoo! Crying

What that is called, Mr. Saban, is you getting out-coached. If you were so confused by their formation and/or personnel then why not call a time out?

Are you telling me that Alabama has never called a trick play? The very point of those is to befuddle the opposing side and if you fall for it then that's on you. Stop crying you little baby. Shame on You

jbeeman85
Monday, December 02, 2019 3:16:38 PM
Vols finally back to participating in a bowl. I know it's only been a couple years but Tennessee is the type of program that should be in a bowl every year, not just struggling to get to one. Finished 7-5 after a 1-4 start (inexcusable loss to Georgia State and a choke job vs BYU) is not too shabby. Thinking they end up in the Gator Bowl. If not there, thinking Belk Bowl in Charlotte is next most likely (outside at Liberty Bowl). I don't see Nashville really wanting the Vols in the Music City Bowl since most fans would just make it a day trip and not spend a night or two in hotels.

Figuring out where SEC teams would end up was a lot easier when it was a clear selection order and not assigned by the conference through conversation with the school and Bowl reps.

Psych0
Monday, December 02, 2019 7:05:41 PM
That was the issue Alabama didn't have anymore timeouts.

Alabama should've won that game.
Auburn shouldn't been able to kick the field goal before half time but as usual the ref's screwed the pooch.

The main thing I still don't understand to this day is why Alabama has so much of a hard time finding a decent kicker. Every year if the kicker comes out everyone starts praying
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, December 03, 2019 12:41:20 PM
Shop at My Store
Psych0 wrote:
That was the issue Alabama didn't have anymore timeouts.

Alabama should've won that game.
Auburn shouldn't been able to kick the field goal before half time but as usual the ref's screwed the pooch.

The main thing I still don't understand to this day is why Alabama has so much of a hard time finding a decent kicker. Every year if the kicker comes out everyone starts praying

Oh, I thought they had one left. Either way it didn't sound good for Nick to complain about an "unfair" formation. I'm sure he has called trick plays before. Just give props to the other guy and move on.

I agree 100% that Bama got jobbed by the refs at the end of the second quarter. The clock ran out and Auburn should not have been allowed to attempt that FG. Definitely an example of Home Cooking.

It is odd that Saban hasn't been able to get a consistent kicker. Can't explain that one. Maybe he figures they will just score TD's and damn the field goals. Confused

bluedevil2002
Thursday, December 05, 2019 8:46:17 PM
jbeeman85 wrote:
Figuring out where SEC teams would end up was a lot easier when it was a clear selection order and not assigned by the conference through conversation with the school and Bowl reps.

Same thing with the ACC, although we've got a smaller tier 1 But then we get thrown off because if a Big Ten team goes to the Orange Bowl, we get their spot in the Citrus Bowl, which is at the top of the list.

But starting next year, the ACC is pretty much doing away with all of it, and making it one large nebulous blob. There's nothing for the fans to debate or try to figure out beforehand.
bluedevil2002
Thursday, December 05, 2019 8:52:24 PM
Okay, might as well get it out of the way. I still despise everything about UVA, but at least they finally broke the streak. But that cup's coming back home in a year.

Still, take Perkins off that team, and I don't see an offense.

There's still some delusional Tech fans who think we have a shot at the Orange Bowl. Basically, if there is no second ACC ranked, the Orange Bowl can pick whichever ACC team they want to fill the slot. Since VT has a reputation for a well traveled fanbase, the fans think VT is an attractive pick.

I don't think it's gonna happen. UVA is ranked #23. Even if they get blown out by Clemson, conference championship losers have not been punished harshly by the rankings. And if someone drops out of the top 25, someone else will have to be added, and there's not enough teams playing this weekend to allow for someone to elevate their resume. With the quicker turnaround time for the final rankings, why is the committee going to spend time on the bottom of the rankings? Just swap those last three teams around and move on to debating who's #4. Finally, dropping UVA out of the rankings hurts the Orange Bowl and committee more than ranking some other team helps.
bluedevil2002
Thursday, December 05, 2019 8:54:26 PM
And regarding Alabama and kickers -- kickers want playing time too.

It's like when GT was running the triple option, why would any decent receiver go there?
MoonKnight1
Saturday, December 07, 2019 11:42:44 AM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
Okay, might as well get it out of the way. I still despise everything about UVA, but at least they finally broke the streak. But that cup's coming back home in a year.

That remains to be seen. Devil

bluedevil2002 wrote:
Still, take Perkins off that team, and I don't see an offense.

I will partially agree with you there. Perkins is definitely the running game. Our RB's haven't done much at all this year. However, they do have some amazing wide receivers. Hasise Dubois, Joe Reed, Terrell Jana, Tavares Kelly.

Judging by most of the talking heads on the TV and newspapers they don't even have to play this game as it's a foregone conclusion. UVA is going to get stomped. (Although Lee Corso said on Gameday that the Cavs "have a shot")

Crazier things have happened. The way for the Cavs to win is to keep Clemson's offense on the sidelines. No easy task especially when you consider the relative lack of a running game outside of Perkins. Another way would be for UVA's defense to force as many three and outs or other short drives as possible. Finally, the Cavaliers special teams has got to be on top of their game. Create short fields for the offense with long returns. Heck, maybe break one or two for a TD. If we can't finish with a TD then Delaney needs to step up with a FG. Run some trickeration plays. Keep it close, don't fall too far behind. I doubt they can win in a shootout.

All of the pressure is on Clemson. If the crush UVa then that's to be expected. If the Cavaliers lose a close game then that would feel like a minor victory. If they happen to win then...Drooling Dancing Look out! Pray

BTW - Do you think that the ACC in general is rooting for Clemson? If they were to lose and get shunned by the CFP Committee that will cost the conference a large chunk of cash and the prestige that comes from putting a team in the Final Four.

MoonKnight1
Saturday, December 07, 2019 10:41:28 PM
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Crazier things have happened.

Or not. Wall Broken Heart