Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Recent Comic Book Pick Ups...
104 pages: First ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104]
Thundercron
Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:36:18 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
It is definitely true that sdcc has been about more than comics for a long time...but, in this case, didn't chuck say it was more the prices it cost him to run his booth and horrible customer service from the con organizers that caused him to drop his booth?

Yes, that was the last straw for him. But it's worth noting he said sales and foot traffic had also dropped off dramatically.
fenix1977
Wednesday, August 09, 2017 1:18:59 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Freelance 1-4 by Chapterhouse Comics. Picked them up at Montreal Comic Con and the writer signed all four books. Was very excited about that.

Then later that day I was able to get an issue of Captain Canuck signed by the writer..who just happened to be Jay Baruchel.
PCPaperbacks
Monday, September 04, 2017 12:16:31 PM
Groups: Member
I picked up New Teen Titans # 2 in Very Fine condition for $24 dollars... first appearance of Deathstroke at Half Priced Books yesterday!

Also picked up for $0.80 an issue at HPB labor day sale:
Wonder Woman (vol. 2) issue 20-63 plus, WW special that goes with issue 62
Miracleman (Eclipse) 1-9, 11-19, 22-25 and 1-3 mini-series
about 30 Spider-man comics I am missing from Sensational, Spectacular, Friendly Neighborhood, etc
Sam Wilson Captain America 2-21
Black Widow 3-11
A bunch of DC rebirth issues from various titles
Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"

Thundercron
Tuesday, September 05, 2017 12:56:39 AM
Shop at My Store
PCPaperbacks wrote:
I picked up New Teen Titans # 2 in Very Fine condition for $24 dollars... first appearance of Deathstroke at Half Priced Books yesterday!

Also picked up for $0.80 an issue at HPB labor day sale:
Wonder Woman (vol. 2) issue 20-63 plus, WW special that goes with issue 62
Miracleman (Eclipse) 1-9, 11-19, 22-25 and 1-3 mini-series
about 30 Spider-man comics I am missing from Sensational, Spectacular, Friendly Neighborhood, etc
Sam Wilson Captain America 2-21
Black Widow 3-11
A bunch of DC rebirth issues from various titles

Miracleman #15 for less than a buck?

Ssshhhhwwwaaaahhhhhhh!?!?!?!?
lcfrick
Friday, November 10, 2017 8:58:34 PM
Had my best convention in a while. Was able to catch up completely on the Batman Dark Days/Nights/Metal whatever thingie DC is running now, getting all the foil covers I wanted for cover price or less.

Got about a half dozen higher grade replacements for my low grade Spider-man comics.

Picked up a copy of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth (for some reason I removed this from my list without having bought it, not sure what happened there, but glad I was able to find it at the first convention I went to since adding it back on.)

Picked up the last two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I needed that I didn't have reprints or TPBs of (13 and 14) from the original Mirage series and one of the two Tales that I'm missing (got #2, still need #6).

And finally I saw them cheap, so I figured what the heck and decided to work on collecting some printing of the original Mirage series, getting a 3rd printing of #2, 2nd printings of 3, 5, 6, and Raphael microseries, and 1st printings of 7, Donatello, and Leonardo Micro-series, all for $3 or less each. Only need to get a 1st or 2nd printing of #4 and a copy of #11 to have a copy of every single issue of the original Mirage series. (I would have laughed at you a year ago if you told me I'd be this close to finishing this collection.)

My best moment of the day, though, was when I saw that Mike Grell was at the convention and doing sketches. He did a great sketch of Green Arrow for my dad and laughed when I related to him how every time the current Green Arrow series has had one of his covers as the variant cover, my dad picked that one to get.

My only regret is that the guys from the Comic Book Men show had a celebrity booth and they were never there when I checked in on them, because I wanted to relate to them how their show was the reason I got back into comics after a 10 year hiatus. And also to tell them of the story that I was watching their show when my mom walked through the room, heard one of them talking about their greatest regret was selling their Walking Dead comics early, to which mom asked, "Are those worth a lot? Because I think I have the first few issues." (And sure enough she had gotten issues #1-5, but didn't really like it, so she canceled.)
fenix1977
Saturday, November 25, 2017 1:35:34 AM
Slowly clearing out the backlog on my wishlist. Saga is mostly caught up now as well as the issues I was missing of Empress. So much to catch up on and it is hard to prioritize!
lcfrick
Saturday, November 25, 2017 7:37:13 AM
fenix1977 wrote:
Slowly clearing out the backlog on my wishlist. Saga is mostly caught up now as well as the issues I was missing of Empress. So much to catch up on and it is hard to prioritize!

As long as you're always making progress, that's the most important part.
fenix1977
Sunday, December 03, 2017 10:47:10 PM
lcfrick wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

As long as you're always making progress, that's the most important part.

Slowly..like a drunk turtle that forgot which direction he was supposed to be going Laughing
lcfrick
Saturday, April 07, 2018 1:17:32 PM
Went to my first con in a while today, the local, small, but reliable con. It's been a while since it really paid off, but this time it paid off big.

I got better grade copies to replace my poor copies of Amazing Spider-man 111 and 140.

Finally got the Saga of Ra's Al Ghul #4 an issue that's been on my want list for years at this point.

Also picked up TMNT #11, the second to last issue I need of the first Mirage series (just need a 1st or 2nd print of #4 to complete that.)

And a Batman graphic novel that I never knew existed, Digital Justice.

But the big ticket item was a complete run of the Punisher 1987 series, #1 through #104.

Punisher has always been one of those characters that I'd like to read his comics, but I wouldn't want to collect them. However a complete run for the price I got them for was too much to pass up. Of course the downside is I need to also pick up all of War Zone and War Journal now because I know how much some stories weaved through the titles. (Though I think I'll still pass on any Punisher titles outside of those three since I know Frank Castle got into some really weird crap after that.)
MoonKnight1
Saturday, April 07, 2018 2:33:42 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
lcfrick wrote:
And a Batman graphic novel that I never knew existed, Digital Justice.

I've got that! It's not bad, the most interesting thing is that it's wholly computer generated. Well, it wasn't written by a computer Big Grin but the art was all done by one. Back in 1990 so it must have been what, a TRS-80? Tongue

lcfrick wrote:
But the big ticket item was a complete run of the Punisher 1987 series, #1 through #104.

Punisher has always been one of those characters that I'd like to read his comics, but I wouldn't want to collect them. However a complete run for the price I got them for was too much to pass up. Of course the downside is I need to also pick up all of War Zone and War Journal now because I know how much some stories weaved through the titles. (Though I think I'll still pass on any Punisher titles outside of those three since I know Frank Castle got into some really weird crap after that.)

You probably don't need as many War Journal/Zone as you think, unless you want them all for completeness sake. There weren't that many cross title storylines between the three from what I can remember. The biggest one of course was Countdown which wrapped up all of the series and led directly into Double Edge: Alpha and Double Edge: Omega.

Suicide Run was one of the big ones. I think for the most part each series had stand alone stories or in-series story arcs.

Howie's Saying of the Week

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it - Joseph Joubert

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Thundercron
Saturday, April 07, 2018 3:56:31 PM
Shop at My Store
How much you snag the Punisher run for?
lcfrick
Saturday, April 07, 2018 6:13:55 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
You probably don't need as many War Journal/Zone as you think, unless you want them all for completeness sake. There weren't that many cross title storylines between the three from what I can remember. The biggest one of course was Countdown which wrapped up all of the series and led directly into Double Edge: Alpha and Double Edge: Omega.

Suicide Run was one of the big ones. I think for the most part each series had stand alone stories or in-series story arcs.

Yeah, I looked up a reading order after I made the post and found out that it was just Countdown and Suicide run. Buuuuut, it seems like overall War Zone and War Journal aren't that expensive, so I'll be able to pick up most of them cheap and if I'm going to pick up most of them cheap, I might as well just stick it out and pick up the rest too.

I've looked through other Punisher series and I have pretty much zero interest in any of them other than maybe the two Marvel Knights series.

Thundercron wrote:
How much you snag the Punisher run for?

$200. I thought I got a better deal than I did (the auction site shows those sets going for around the same amount with some variance in either direction), though the main appeal was getting all of them together, so I'm still pretty happy about it, given I know there are some issues which are... problematic to find individually, like #102.
Thundercron
Saturday, April 07, 2018 8:52:09 PM
Shop at My Store
I've always thought it strange how hard #102 is to find. I've found #103 and 104 many times in shops and at shows, but I've never seen a copy of #102 in person (other than one I found in a private collection).
Kingsman
Saturday, February 16, 2019 9:11:26 PM
Shop at My Store
I was blessed to have the opportunity to travel to Nuremberg, Germany recently. While there, I had the opportunity to hit a comic book shop. Below are some of my purchases. The cost per issue ranged between $3.50-$11.25 (USD). Several of the comics you see are their "variants" and the variant price is actually printed on the comic by the publisher.

Thundercron
Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:51:09 PM
Shop at My Store
Pretty cool. Are they English language inside, or no?
Kingsman
Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:52:08 PM
Shop at My Store
The inside text is German.

Thundercron wrote:
Pretty cool. Are they English language inside, or no?
lcfrick
Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:10:41 PM
Got back from C2E2 earlier today and had my best haul from a convention that I've had in probably my entire life.

Went there missing 82 Batmans between 224 and 386, 41 Detective Comics between 395 and 513, and 36 Brave and the Bolds between 79 and 182.

Finished up Saturday only missing 39 Batmans, 8 Detective Comics, and 6 Brave and the Bolds.

Also picked up nearly 20 Transformers retailer incentive covers, always a nice find!

I almost completely cleared out my remaining Punishers (only missing 6 prior to the most recent series)

Plus I cleared up a couple of a Amazing Spider-mans that I wanted to get better grade copies of (my one vice where I do care heavily about condition.)

And I even picked up a Batman original graphic novel, which I almost never see any of at conventions. (And when I do, they're hard to wade through all the TPBs to find them.)
lcfrick
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 1:55:31 PM
Just got Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21 today, which was the last retailer incentive issue I needed from that run. So I have a complete run of RI issues for Robots in Disguise from 1-57 and the 2012 Annual. (Though still have some convention or retailer exclusives to go.)

Still about 30 issues to go to have a complete collection. But it's a slog since some of them just never appear anywhere. (The RiD #21 was literally the first time I had ever seen it anywhere for any price.)

(Also, once again proving that just because something is rare, it doesn't mean that it's valuable. I also picked up a copy of Transformers Maximum Dinobots #3 retailer incentive cover cheap because I was the only person who bid on it. The series sold so poorly that only the first three issues of the series had a 1:10 cover.)