Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » CCL Comics Library » Comics Library General Discussion » Character appearances, does it count?
Philli
Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:51:50 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Does a cover appearance count? I'm editing the new Guardians of the Galaxy (2020) issues and want to know if Black Bolt should be listed as a character appearance on issue #1f. He only makes a cover appearance.

My vote would be yes. The reason being is if I was a Black Bolt fan/collector then I would want the issue to come up if I clicked on his name. That way I would be able to easily find it and purchase a copy or put it in my wishlist.

If you know me then you know I'm the worlds largest collector of Ghost Rider. If he's in a book, on the cover or even just mentioned in the story then I need a copy. I don't want to miss a single thing. I understand that a mention of a character does not constitute an appearance but a cover appearance seems legit to me.

If this is acceptable, please let me know. If it is not, please explain why so I have a better understanding.
SwiftMann
Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:12:09 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
No. Cover appearances have never counted.

Second item in the Guidelines "Adding Characters" section:
Quote:
Do NOT list characters that only make a cover appearance.

padreglcc
Sunday, January 26, 2020 12:13:41 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
If we had the ability to list out in what capacity characters appeared (story, cover, flashback, on-screen, etc., then I'd be all for it. But at this point, the Guidelines don't allow cover-only appearances as Swift already noted.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
Philli
Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:20:21 PM
Is there a reason why? I'm not disputing it. I asked because I remember reading cover appearance only does not count but I'm curious as to why.
padreglcc
Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:41:33 PM
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
There are two reasons that I can think of for the rule (the rule actually predates my time as an Approver, so I'm not sure if these are the reasons it was originally put in place or not).

1) Because there's no way to tell a character listing is a cover appearance only, characters might accidentally be synced to other variants where they don't appear.

2) Because there's no way to tell a character listing is a cover appearance only, a collector may purchase an issue expecting to see that character and then not have them appear in the issue.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
Philli
Sunday, January 26, 2020 3:42:48 PM
That's fair. Thank you.
SwiftMann
Sunday, January 26, 2020 7:02:21 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
padreglcc wrote:
There are two reasons that I can think of for the rule (the rule actually predates my time as an Approver, so I'm not sure if these are the reasons it was originally put in place or not).

1) Because there's no way to tell a character listing is a cover appearance only, characters might accidentally be synced to other variants where they don't appear.

2) Because there's no way to tell a character listing is a cover appearance only, a collector may purchase an issue expecting to see that character and then not have them appear in the issue.

It was mostly the second since these were set in the pre-variant glut days of mid-00s. That said, the first reason is an extremely good one.
Atilla2k
Monday, January 27, 2020 10:15:14 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
SwiftMann wrote:
It was mostly the second since these were set in the pre-variant glut days of mid-00s. That said, the first reason is an extremely good one.

Absolutely accurate. Applause