Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » Is it the NFL Offseason again? Yep! 2020 Edition.

Is it the NFL Offseason again? Yep! 2020 Edition.

MoonKnight1
Thursday, February 20, 2020 5:56:53 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Meant to start this earlier. Like 5 minutes after the Super Bowl ended earlier. But here we are.

What's going on in the NFL in general? What are your hopes and/or expectations for your team? Got any earth shattering predictions?

Call Me

Howie's Saying of the Week

Is it worse to be scared than to be bored, that is the question - Gertrude Stein

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
MoonKnight1
Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:19:45 PM
Shop at My Store
As a Redskins fan this is an eerily familiar feeling. Once again the whole thing is being blown up and reconstructed. Once again we are hoping that things will be different this time. Remains to be seen.

The schedule is up and down. On the one hand the Skins get the Browns, Bengals, Lions and Cardinals but on the other hand they also get the 49ers, Ravens, Steelers, Seahawks and Rams. It's hard for me to see better than 8-8 and probably not that good.

What I want for them to do in Free Agency and Draft is get a pass catching Tight End, more Offensive Line help and a new shut down Cornerback. I like that they are bringing Peterson back, he's a workhorse. Get Chase Young with their 1st Round pick, he's too good of a talent to pass up on.

I got more on the Redskins but that can wait.

I do not like the 17 game season that is being proposed. Absolutely ridiculous and unnecessarily complicated. So, half of the teams in the league will play 8 home games and the other half 9? If you buy season tickets are you billed more or less depending on how many home games you get? Or will all of the extra games be played at a neutral site or overseas? How will competitive balance be maintained? What if your team had to play the Patriots while another team in your division gets the Jets?

There are already injuries galore with a 16 game season and now they want to add more. They are going to have to put in another Bye week probably and certainly increase roster size. I would like for them to keep it at 16.

Is it worse to be scared than to be bored, that is the question - Gertrude Stein

lcfrick
Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:15:09 PM
Groups: Member
The Ravens are looking pretty good right now.

All 11 offensive starters are under contract for 2020 and 8 of them are under contract through at least 2021. Could go up to 9 if Ronnie Stanley (5th year option next year) signs an extensions. The only real question mark is Marshal Yanda, who may elect to retire this year.

Defense is a bit more interesting.

Only 6 of 11 defensive starters are under contract for 2020, but 5 of them are also under contract through 2021 as well. The really good side is that 4 of them are our starters in the secondary.

The downside is that our pass rush was bad last year and relied heavily on the secondary playing insane and blitzing to get pressure. With Matthew Judon (our top pass rusher) as a free agent, our pass rush isn't going to get any better cheaply. Basically the Ravens need to re-sign Judon and sign another marquee pass rusher to improve next year. They'll almost assuredly have to do so through free agency, because it's extremely unlikely that they'll find a quality rookie pass-rusher who can immediately contribute at 28th in the first round.

But the Ravens currently have $30m in cap room, which is more than they've had in a long time. And they'll potentially be able to get some more by cutting Brandon Carr and the (now suspended) James Hurst and working out an extension for Ronnie Stanley.
lcfrick
Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:25:31 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I do not like the 17 game season that is being proposed. Absolutely ridiculous and unnecessarily complicated. So, half of the teams in the league will play 8 home games and the other half 9? If you buy season tickets are you billed more or less depending on how many home games you get? Or will all of the extra games be played at a neutral site or overseas? How will competitive balance be maintained? What if your team had to play the Patriots while another team in your division gets the Jets?

There are already injuries galore with a 16 game season and now they want to add more. They are going to have to put in another Bye week probably and certainly increase roster size. I would like for them to keep it at 16.

The idea I've seen floated for the 17th game is that it would be at a neutral site as part of the international series (or just in cities that don't normally have football teams.) That way everyone still has 8 home and away games. Then the teams are probably allotted a certain amount of tickets to sell to their season ticket holders and the rest are made available locally.

As far as the team, the best idea I've seen is the non-conference team that finished the same position as you did the previous year, but in the division that you haven't played the previous year, aren't playing the current year, and won't play the next year (since non-conference games are on a 4 year rotation, this would prevent an AFC team and NFC team meeting each other in consecutive years with the exception of a Super Bowl rematch). That way it's still 1st place teams playing each other and the Redskins playing the 4th place teams. It's just a 3rd game decided by your record.

I haven't seen anything about an increased roster size or an extra bye week with the new potential CBA and I'm honestly surprised, I would have though the NFLPA would have fought really hard for those two things as part of the compromise to get a 17 game season/14 team playoff.

Honestly, I prefer a 16 game schedule as well. For me it's more about the records. I know the same thing as said about the switch from 14 to 16 games, but to me it seems like an extra game is just asking for the record books to be rewritten. Not that I think that an asterisk should be added (apologies to Roger Maris), but it'll take several decades before 17 games will feel "right".
lcfrick
Friday, February 21, 2020 11:13:10 AM
Just saw it. Rosters would increase from 53 to 55 and on gameday from 46 to 48. Practice squad players would increase from 10 to 12 this year and then to 14 in 2022. Teams would also be able to return three players from IR each year, up from two.

Haven't seen anything about a second bye week, though.
monidaw1
Friday, February 21, 2020 12:50:56 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I have to come out on the side of loving a 17 game schedule that shrinks down the # of wasted PREASON games. It should always be ending in an odd number there are no more 8-8 ties where the team had neither a winning or losing record. Still possible with ties mucking it up but that's another area I'd like to see gone, every game has to have a winner in OT.

I do want expanded rosters so more developmental players can be kept signed instead of bouncing back and forth from team, to practice squad, to another team and back again. The Redskins in particular have bee the posterchild of why extra bodies that are familiar with your system are needed. TWO tightends out on concussion protocols alone last year. I think every starting QB should be required to sit at least one game a year so the backups get some time. 3 or 4 extra slots to be filled with spare bodies, ideally at least two extra offense and two extra defense players active every game. A 3rd string QB requirement and slot that has to stay filled. Official clipboard holder barring medical disaster during a game forcing an emergency suiting up. It's only a matter of time before a team ends up with 2 QB's in concussion protocols at the same time.

Redskins look like a solid 16-0 team to me!!!!!!

Obviously they need a tightend from somewhere, draft or free agency after losing two great ones to concussions last year.

A good corner, two if they can't work things out with no gauranteed money man Dunbar.

I want them to move on from mr Penalty Moses on the O-Line. He killed too many great drives and erased a lot of good plays the last few years.

Another burner at reciever would be nice but the young guys they already have were coming on strong at the end of the season last year.

I hope Chris Thompson finds happiness elsewhere since I don't see him making it onto the rooster with 3 great RB's ahead of him this year. It may very well be looked back on as the greatest back field ever assembled years from now with those 3 active at the same time similar to when they had the 3 best cover corners ever together to stop the greatest show on turf for one year, and they did!!!!! That season may have cost the new offensive coordinators father his job but it's a memory of a lifetime to have witnessed.

This has the feeling of being something very special to look forward to this season. Dancing

Days until Chase Young!!!!

monidaw1
Monday, February 24, 2020 10:31:16 AM
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, February 26, 2020 8:24:37 AM
Shop at My Store
Roger Goodell: "We are reinstating Vontaze Burfict."

NFL Wide Receivers: "We feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror."

Nailbiting

comicuniversity
Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:52:39 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator
I'm a Steelers fan so......

I think Tomlin did his best coaching job last year. Colbert was masterful putting together a competitive roster all year too with the free agent and injury turnover.

I think this 8-8 team has a real chance to take a big step next year.

Their defense is so good that, even a mediocre quarterback, gives them a chance to win double digits pretty easy. A healthy Ben (even at the later stages of his career) is definitely better than that.

They are tight against the cap and don't have a first round pick so external improvements will be light.

The return of Big Ben makes a ton of difference, though,
MoonKnight1
Thursday, March 05, 2020 1:50:46 PM
Shop at My Store
It has been reported that Redskins coach Ron Rivera is interested in selecting Tua Tagovailoa with the second pick in the draft. Is this Something or Nothing?

At first I was a little confused but I now think that I see what they're doing. I think by dangling that supposition they can get another team (Dolphins?) to trade up for the pick. That way they'll get extra picks and still might be able to get Chase Young as long as they don't drop down too far.

I'm not totally sold on Dwayne Haskins - seems very talented and a nice guy, just not sure if he is starter quality or backup material - but I'm also a bit concerned about Tua and his injury history. He also appears to be quite talented and a good dude but just like Haskins he too is a bit raw and inexperienced.

It's possible that they will pick Tua and see which one is better and then trade the other but I think it's really just a smokescreen.

lcfrick
Thursday, March 05, 2020 2:55:07 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
It has been reported that Redskins coach Ron Rivera is interested in selecting Tua Tagovailoa with the second pick in the draft. Is this Something or Nothing?

At first I was a little confused but I now think that I see what they're doing. I think by dangling that supposition they can get another team (Dolphins?) to trade up for the pick. That way they'll get extra picks and still might be able to get Chase Young as long as they don't drop down too far.

I'm not totally sold on Dwayne Haskins - seems very talented and a nice guy, just not sure if he is starter quality or backup material - but I'm also a bit concerned about Tua and his injury history. He also appears to be quite talented and a good dude but just like Haskins he too is a bit raw and inexperienced.

It's possible that they will pick Tua and see which one is better and then trade the other but I think it's really just a smokescreen.

I think it's something.

The Cardinals caught a lot of crap after the bailed on Josh Rosen after only one year in the league to draft Kyler Murray. (And to be fair, they did handle the actual trading of Rosen extremely poorly, they could have gotten an early 2nd round pick or maybe even a later 1st round pick, instead of a late 2nd and a 5th.)

But ultimately it proved to be absolutely the correct move because Rosen played terrible in Miami and Murray established himself as a future star.

The hardest thing for NFLs to do is give up on a first round pick early in his contract because they always think he'll be able to turn around. But the Cardinals turned that thinking on its head and they're reaping the rewards of it.
monidaw1
Friday, March 06, 2020 10:56:44 AM
Shop at My Store
They're going to let Trent look for a trade so who knows for sure what they're actually going to do. If they trade down Chase Young doesn't make it past the 3rd pick by the Lions who don't need a qb. Haskins has been in the training facility heavy and appears to be doing all the right things so it's hard to see them doing anything that replaces him, especially with Alex Smith already a possible contender if things progress smoothly for his rehab.

I can't see them trading with the Giants at #4, dropping down to pick at Miami's #5 could be doable if Miami has the juice to throw on the table to make it worth the effort. Then Miami takes Tag, Detroit takes Chase Young maybe the Redskins get the Ohio corner at #5 and either a starting caliber need filled and or a higher second round added to look for a tight end and/or replacement for Trent.

I doubt anything that can come in the building would be as good as Trent if he's got his A game back but there are a number of decent options out there the free agency and the draft.

I think it's still too early to know for sure what the needs will even be until we see what Trent's deal brings to the table and what Dan's checkbook hauls in from free agency opening.

A trade down and the right deal with Trent's new team could even put as many as 3 2nd round picks on the table to look for multiple needs.
monidaw1
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6:41:55 AM
Shop at My Store
Redskins are already hugely impacted.

They got their corner back from KC they traded away in the Smith deal so that should represent an upgrade over Josh Norman.

They lost Flowers but immediately signed Wes Schweitzer, which doesn't sound like an upgrade.

A couple veteran linebackers to make the new DC comfortable.

Sounds so far like the Defense is better while the offense is still seesawing. Apparently they're willing to throw insanely high money at big name receivers so I imagine they'll land something eventually.

I wonder if they can resign Donald Parham right now or if his XFL contract keeps him off the market until the original XFL season time frame ends.

Antonio Brown???? Tampa to play with Brady seems a popular thought but he does have a relationship/connection with Dwayne Haskins and the are throwing ignorantly high money at the position having lost out on Cooper and Diggs already.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 12:18:52 PM
Shop at My Store
monidaw1 wrote:
I wonder if they can resign Donald Parham right now or if his XFL contract keeps him off the market until the original XFL season time frame ends.

I read somewhere that the XFL has released all players from their commitments and they are free to explore other opportunities.

monidaw1
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 5:42:17 PM
Shop at My Store
That would be great news. For now it appears the Defense is just getting more and more. They must see something in the new addition since he was out most of last year from injury it looks like.
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/18/redskins-sign-safety-sean-davis/

If they get Quinton Dunbar calmed down I can't see a real hole left in the Defense with the parts currently available + Chase Young getting drafted.

Offense is still a bit up in the air with Case Keenum gone to Cleveland. The Cam Newton trade rumors are starting to swirl.

Need a settled back up QB with talent enough to push to start against Haskins. Any update on Alex Smith would be nice.

Tight End "According to ESPN's John Keim, the Washington Redskins have shown some interest in former Tennessee Titans veteran tight end Delanie Walker." Smells like someone to pair with Donald Parham if they can get him back while looking in the draft for some undiscovered gem.

Left tackle's still wide open as to what happens and how it helps or hurts the ability to draft other positions. Probably looking at a late round developmental project with potential for LG or someone from the undrafted walk on free agents for depth.

At least the new CBA should soon allow for more of the 90 to stay around as squad practice squad sizes and active rosters increase.

monidaw1
Friday, March 20, 2020 10:34:10 AM
Shop at My Store
Redskins moved on to the offensive side now signing a swing player that can play left and right tackle and a QB that's playing tight end. Neither sound like starters but should be hungry affordable back ups maybe. I like the idea of havening a former 4th round QB if he can actually catch since he should already know routes and have some ability to execute the trick play/ double pass/ handoff pass. Donald Penn sounds willing to take another one year deal to play left tackle if needed instead of retiring.

Nothing sexy but definitely sounding solid and thought out.
monidaw1
Monday, March 23, 2020 2:36:04 PM
Shop at My Store
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/redskins-trade-for-kyle-allen/

Not familiar with this QB. Not sure what they traded either. Think

New article answering some of the questions.
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/redskins-trade-for-allen-makes-sense/

Apparently a 5th round trade pick for an experienced qb familiar with the coach and OC.

Apparently Colt's gone already also so this looks like a solid move.
monidaw1
Monday, March 23, 2020 6:10:36 PM
Shop at My Store
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/redskins-agree-to-trade-cb-quinton-dunbar-to-seattle-seahawks-for-a-5th-round-pick/

Now it looks like they need another top end corner. Bright spot is sounds like the locker room attitude is going to be improved.

Safety just popped up as well as a new need although it once again looks like a chance to improve the locker room attitude.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/redskins-release-nicholson-and-webster/
monidaw1
Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:23:40 PM
Shop at My Store
Finally, a tight end.
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/24/redskins-sign-richard-rodgers/

Still no word on what Donald Parhams doing.
monidaw1
Sunday, March 29, 2020 5:32:06 PM
Shop at My Store
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/29/redskins-sign-cb-ronald-darby/

I don't know this signing today but early info sounds like we may have two solid corners now with good young backups. Any reason to be concerned about the secondary now that two starting safety's and two starting corners are locked down?

Linebacker looks solid now and the D-Line is a #2 draft pick away from being a nightmare for everyone else.

#1 tight end and resolving the Trent Williams situation seems about the only huge questions still lingering. After Chase it's looking like the draft will be about
best tight end they can find with the next pick. Maybe a burner at Wideout if a gem slips down into reach like Scary Terry last year. I can't see a starting LT coming out of this draft without some big splashy move up into a high second or lower 1st round pick.

Still not thrilled with Morgan Moses but I don't see any talk of replacing him with someone less penalty prone. Not happy at all that Donald Parham's in San Diego.

16-0 here we come!!!!!!