Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » Is it the NFL Offseason again? Yep! 2020 Edition.

Is it the NFL Offseason again? Yep! 2020 Edition.

6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
bluedevil2002
Saturday, July 04, 2020 10:29:11 PM
Groups: Member
The only other former name they have are the Braves. Doubt that will go over too well, if for no other reason than it's the name of a key rival of the baseball team.
bluedevil2002
Sunday, July 05, 2020 11:35:00 PM
Redskins might get new owners! Except it's the minority owners that only own about 40% of the team that are looking to get out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29415651/redskins-trio-minority-owners-launching-search-sell-stakes

Still, the timing of this is interesting. One of said owners reportedly has had issues with the name and has been trying to sell for a while. So why do it now when it's looking pretty obvious that the name is changing? Unless Snyder is massively screwing things up behind the scenes, even moreso that usual.
bluedevil2002
Monday, July 13, 2020 12:49:15 PM
Any preferences for any of the new names? I'm having a hard time thinking of any of the proposed names as an actual NFL team name.

Of the ones I've heard, I like Red Wolves the best. I think Red Tails has too many built in jokes if they suck, and still has a racial component. I would hate for the team to find themselves in this position again if society changes its mind. And Warriors doesn't change enough.
lcfrick
Monday, July 13, 2020 3:09:00 PM
Since this is a comic forum, my first thought went to various sports teams from comics.

From the Dark Knight Rises there was the Gotham Rogues.

Blüdhaven Brawlers (a more blue collar name)

Metropolis Meteors (though I think that'd be the only outer space themed name in the four leagues)

Rapid City Monuments... after all, I think DC may have a monument of two.

Gotham Knights (though Las Vegas may have something to say about that)

Of course the downside is that none of those really work with the red/yellow color scheme that Snyder said he wants to keep.

Of all the suggestions I've seen, I think Redhogs is the one I like the most that can keep the color scheme. It'd be a nice homage to the 80's and 90's Redskins offensive line.
monidaw1
Monday, July 13, 2020 3:27:05 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store

Even the comics I grew up with used the name in respectful ways. Those clips are from 1967, before I was even born.

I will never purchase anything with a different team name on it and I may be done with football in general.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:12:13 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store

Howie's Saying of the Week

If you're quiet, you're not living. You've got to be noisy and colorful and lively - Mel Brooks

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
bluedevil2002
Thursday, July 16, 2020 8:47:01 PM
Yeah...not quite the bombshell that it was hyped up to be.

Based on what I had heard "leaked" out, this sounded like a big story with sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll, all tied together to send Danny boy packing. Folks were saying the the joke of the past decade that Bruce Allen must have had some serious dirt on Snyder wasn't actually a joke. This was also supposed to have an on-field component that would affect the entire NFL. Oh, and Snyder was apparently paying refs off. (Which, considering the Redskins' W-L record, would fit right in with his inept business skills.)

There was even a rumor that one of the players was fooling around with Gruden's side chick. That player got benched and his replacement was the one that whiffed on the block that almost ended Alex Smith's life. Yeah...that one seemed a bit far fetched.

Of course, there is the fact that the story dropped about 12 hours later than expected, and got everyone to lawyer up.
lcfrick
Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:31:08 PM
The problem is that it was hyped before it came out, there was a similar disappointment when Jay Glazer hyped up an earth-shattering major NFL story that'd he'd break in 24 hours on his Fox show... which just turned out to be the first NFL player had tested positive for COVID-19.

It's still a major story, one that may very well push Snyder out of ownership of the team, it's just the way it was hyped built it up in people's minds to unattainable measures. (And, as you mentioned, gave everyone an opportunity to lawyer up.)
MoonKnight1
Sunday, July 26, 2020 4:56:01 PM
Shop at My Store
crunchbird wrote:
Howie
Any idea what name your team might change to. The Cleveland baseball team has it easy, they could go back to their original name of the Spiders. But I don't know what goes at the end of Hail to the ....

I have not been purposely avoiding this subject. Honestly, I have been extremely busy for the last few months, business has been booming and I just haven't had time to do much of anything else. Yeah, poor me! Boo Hoo!

Anyway, I have never thought that Washington Redskins was a racist or offensive sports team nickname. But what do I know, I'm just a racist white a-hole.

Here are some quotes and a video from actual Native Americans who are the ones that are so offended by Redskins.

Here's a video: Native American leader reacts to Redskins' name change

Here are some recent quotes from actual Native Americans that were interviewed by the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Chief Red Hawk Brown wrote:
This is a strong symbol that represents my people, my culture, my traditions.
Chief Brown is the leader of the Cheroenhaka tribe in Virginia which, by the way, is not recognized by the Federal Government so they are non-people. That's not offensive at all is it?

Skooter McCoy wrote:
I have always felt that most Native American mascots are very prideful. I can't imagine someone picking a mascot or a nickname that they aren't proud of. I see them as being bold, strong, fierce, brave and tough, and a lot of school systems and schools want to be represented by something strong.
Mr. McCoy is a Cherokee from North Carolina who coaches high school football and is, ironically, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

This is from the Washington Post column in 2016 that conducted a poll that appeared to find 90% didn't care and only 9% were offended (1% had no opinion):

Quote:
But for more than a decade, no one has measured what the country’s 5.4 million Native Americans think about the controversy. Their responses to The Post poll were unambiguous: Few objected to the name, and some voiced admiration.

Here is the full article: New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

I have said it before and I will reiterate: The Washington Post had expressed their opposition to the name. They had stated editorially that the name should be changed. They conducted the poll trying to find evidence that there was widespread support in the Native American community to change the name. They were surprised by the results.

Look, I have been a Redskins fan ever since I was born. Literally. When I first started hearing that some were offended by the name I did a lot of research on it. I wasn't trying to find results that validated my thoughts. I actively looked for the opposite in fact. Very hard to find.

Mostly what I heard and read was that Native Americans are deeply offended that super righteous, politically "correct" white people were more offended by the name than they were. Over and over I saw things like, "Once again the White Man is telling Indians how to think." and things along those lines.

Now I'm not going to say that 0% of Native Americans are offended by the name. I know for a fact that there is a sizeable percentage that are. Two things I am wondering however.

#1 - What is the percentage of offended/not offended Native Americans are there. (I don't give a crap what any other ethnicity has to say)

#2 - What percentage is enough to warrant a change? Is it 50%? 51%? 65%? less than 10%? If even one Native American is offended (not talking to you virtue signaling White People) is that enough?

What's funny, I mean tragic - there's nothing funny about it at all - is that all of these supercilious people on their high horse about a "racist and offensive" name of a sports team don't give a damn or even care that the Native American community has way more problems than some silly mascot controversy.

Did you know that Native Americans have some of the highest rates of unemployment, alcoholism, suicide, violent crime on the reservation? But you are going to "help" them by getting a football team to change their name. Awesome. It's easier that way, now you don't have to pay any attention to them at all. Out of sight, out of mind.

Does anyone out there contribute anything to help our Native American Brothers and Sisters? I do. I don't like to brag about donating to charity but I have helped out the Native American Rights Fund among others.

Among the opposition the common refrain is that the two polls that were conducted, both finding that the vast majority of respondents were not offended, are not legit. They are limited in scale, not proportional to population or biased from the start. Which leads me to ask this: If it is so important to you that the name change why don't you do your own poll? Interview your own people and see what they think.

My thinking is that they did not do that because they knew that they would have found out that they were in the minority. But because they whined, squeaked and howled the loudest they got what they wanted.

So now we are looking at more erasing and revising until all of the horribly terrifying racist iconography is scrubbed from existence and we can all live in a society where we are free from worrying that our delicate sensibilities can be fractured by hurtful words.

If you're quiet, you're not living. You've got to be noisy and colorful and lively - Mel Brooks

bluedevil2002
Sunday, July 26, 2020 10:57:08 PM
I've heard several times recently about a variety of things, "if even one person is offended . . . " Guess what? Literally everything in the world offends at least one person. Can't set the bar that low.
jbeeman85
Monday, July 27, 2020 1:18:59 PM
I never saw it as derogatory mostly because why would you name your team something of which you are ashamed ? No one is out there calling their team the Rapists, or Woman Beaters, or Serial Killers, or Ray Rices (wait already said that oneClown ).

Seems to be the most easily "offended" people are middle class white hippies. I mean that seems to be the majority of the people that camp out in protest of whatever random thing is the hot topic of the day. Not often do you hear from a large number of the group being offended, whether it be racial, sexuality, religion, political, etc. (and putting "etc."probably upset someone too).

Not one single thing can seemingly be done or said that won't offend someone.

I would throw in some random jokes at this point because I'm an insensitive non-PC jerk that thinks South Park humor is awesome but I don't want to be kicked off the site.
MoonKnight1
Monday, July 27, 2020 1:25:45 PM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
I've heard several times recently about a variety of things, "if even one person is offended . . . " Guess what? Literally everything in the world offends at least one person. Can't set the bar that low.

Oh. Well in that case, the other 31 NFL teams need to change their offensive names as well. Please allow me to explain.

As a card carrying member of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - shouldn't that be PFTETOA? Confused ) I am highly offended by professional sports teams exploiting helpless, defenseless, innocent animals as mascots. Avian Lives Matter, Ursine Lives Matter, Feline Lives Matter, Ichthyological Lives Matter, Equine Lives Matter.

Therefore the following teams need to abandon their disgusting and offensive monikers:

Eagles
Bears
Lions
Rams
Cardinals
Seahawks
Dolphins
Ravens
Bengals
Broncos
Jaguars
Falcons
Panthers
Colts

Almost half of the League. Boom! Outta here!

One of the most offensive team names in all of sports has got to be Cowboys. The cowboys of the Old West forced Native Americans off of their ancestral lands and then stole them. They were drunk bums who constantly started saloon fights, rustled other people's cattle and frequently indulged in prostitutes. Offensive.

While we are in that part of the nation let's hit upon the Texans. Little known fact and not often discussed is that not only was Texas an Independent country at one point (and why would you name a team in the National Football League Of the United States of America after a foreign country) but they were also part of the Confederate States of America and therefore a Slave State. Do I need to tell you how offensive that is?

I am afraid of Tall People. They are scary and intimidating. Therefore I am offended by Titans and Giants.

Vikings. Do you think that the peaceful, holy monks of Lindisfarne, England think that Vikings are cute, fuzzy little mascots for a sports team? I don't think they would because they were massacred by the Vikings, their stuff was stolen and their monastery was burnt to the ground. How can a people that terrorized Northern and Central Europe for centuries be considered a proper nickname for a sports team. Get rid of it.

Speaking of raging marauders, what's up with the Raiders and the Buccaneers? You know we're not talking about Captain Jack Sparrow right? These aren't the Pirates of Penzance. If you were lucky enough to not get killed in the initial pirate attack you would be raped, enslaved or forced to walk the plank. And we have teams named for these murderous killers.

Yeeaahhh. Packers. What are they packing? Guns? Contraband? Human Trafficking? Either way, I don't like it. O-Fence-Ive!

OK Howie, what about the Patriots? You can't say anything bad about that name can you? Or do you hate America? No, I don't hate America but here's another dirty little secret. Did you know that most of the early "Patriots" were slave owners? Almost all of our earliest Presidents (Patriots) owned slaves. How dare they!

I hate paying Bills. Gotta go.

In the classic play "West Side Story" the racist White American gang called the Jets systemically abused and discriminated against the Latin American cultural support group known as the Sharks. This is a blatant example of White Privilege and Oppression against minorities. No More Jets!

The Steelers obviously steal things from people so that's no good. Hate to say it but the munitions plants in Pittsburgh manufactured many of the weapons that we (USA) dropped on non-combatants in Vietnam. So whatever, they're screwed.

It has already been demonstrated that Native American Imagery and Iconography is inherently racist so, so long Chiefs!

The Saints sound good don't they? What could be wrong with Saints? Aren't Saints mostly Catholic? Hmm. What kind of scandal can involve Catholic priests? Can't think of a single thing. Maybe we should poll some choir boys.

The 49ers forced Native Americans to resettle and also practiced extreme racist policies towards Asians, particularly the Chinese. I know this because I watched the movie Shanghai Knights with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. In this movie (and numerous other flicks I have seen) it is obvious that the "49ers" exploited the Chinese in particular to build railroads and dig mines but with little compensation. The 49ers are blatantly racist.

The Chargers is a tough one. What can be offensive about "Chargers"? Oh, I know! I am offended that I need to keep charging my phone or it will die. That sucks. Ooh! I also hate extraneous charges on credit card purchases. That's a bad Charger. Yeah, and my nephew got run over by a dude driving a Dodge Charger so I totally am offended by this name.

The Browns. Do I even need a reason to be offended by the Browns? OK, it says here that I do need as reason so here goes. My least favorite color is Brown.

If you think I am joking then please think again and revise your culture shaming, virtue signaling, self loathing shame on me ideology and join the rest of us progressive woke people in the current society. Straight Face

pottersan
Tuesday, July 28, 2020 3:43:24 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:

Oh. Well in that case, the other 31 NFL teams need to change their offensive names as well. Please allow me to explain.

As a card carrying member of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - shouldn't that be PFTETOA? Confused ) I am highly offended by professional sports teams exploiting helpless, defenseless, innocent animals as mascots. Avian Lives Matter, Ursine Lives Matter, Feline Lives Matter, Ichthyological Lives Matter, Equine Lives Matter.

Therefore the following teams need to abandon their disgusting and offensive monikers:

Eagles
Bears
Lions
Rams
Cardinals
Seahawks
Dolphins
Ravens
Bengals
Broncos
Jaguars
Falcons
Panthers
Colts

Almost half of the League. Boom! Outta here!

One of the most offensive team names in all of sports has got to be Cowboys. The cowboys of the Old West forced Native Americans off of their ancestral lands and then stole them. They were drunk bums who constantly started saloon fights, rustled other people's cattle and frequently indulged in prostitutes. Offensive.

While we are in that part of the nation let's hit upon the Texans. Little known fact and not often discussed is that not only was Texas an Independent country at one point (and why would you name a team in the National Football League Of the United States of America after a foreign country) but they were also part of the Confederate States of America and therefore a Slave State. Do I need to tell you how offensive that is?

I am afraid of Tall People. They are scary and intimidating. Therefore I am offended by Titans and Giants.

Vikings. Do you think that the peaceful, holy monks of Lindisfarne, England think that Vikings are cute, fuzzy little mascots for a sports team? I don't think they would because they were massacred by the Vikings, their stuff was stolen and their monastery was burnt to the ground. How can a people that terrorized Northern and Central Europe for centuries be considered a proper nickname for a sports team. Get rid of it.

Speaking of raging marauders, what's up with the Raiders and the Buccaneers? You know we're not talking about Captain Jack Sparrow right? These aren't the Pirates of Penzance. If you were lucky enough to not get killed in the initial pirate attack you would be raped, enslaved or forced to walk the plank. And we have teams named for these murderous killers.

Yeeaahhh. Packers. What are they packing? Guns? Contraband? Human Trafficking? Either way, I don't like it. O-Fence-Ive!

OK Howie, what about the Patriots? You can't say anything bad about that name can you? Or do you hate America? No, I don't hate America but here's another dirty little secret. Did you know that most of the early "Patriots" were slave owners? Almost all of our earliest Presidents (Patriots) owned slaves. How dare they!

I hate paying Bills. Gotta go.

In the classic play "West Side Story" the racist White American gang called the Jets systemically abused and discriminated against the Latin American cultural support group known as the Sharks. This is a blatant example of White Privilege and Oppression against minorities. No More Jets!

The Steelers obviously steal things from people so that's no good. Hate to say it but the munitions plants in Pittsburgh manufactured many of the weapons that we (USA) dropped on non-combatants in Vietnam. So whatever, they're screwed.

It has already been demonstrated that Native American Imagery and Iconography is inherently racist so, so long Chiefs!

The Saints sound good don't they? What could be wrong with Saints? Aren't Saints mostly Catholic? Hmm. What kind of scandal can involve Catholic priests? Can't think of a single thing. Maybe we should poll some choir boys.

The 49ers forced Native Americans to resettle and also practiced extreme racist policies towards Asians, particularly the Chinese. I know this because I watched the movie Shanghai Knights with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. In this movie (and numerous other flicks I have seen) it is obvious that the "49ers" exploited the Chinese in particular to build railroads and dig mines but with little compensation. The 49ers are blatantly racist.

The Chargers is a tough one. What can be offensive about "Chargers"? Oh, I know! I am offended that I need to keep charging my phone or it will die. That sucks. Ooh! I also hate extraneous charges on credit card purchases. That's a bad Charger. Yeah, and my nephew got run over by a dude driving a Dodge Charger so I totally am offended by this name.

The Browns. Do I even need a reason to be offended by the Browns? OK, it says here that I do need as reason so here goes. My least favorite color is Brown.

If you think I am joking then please think again and revise your culture shaming, virtue signaling, self loathing shame on me ideology and join the rest of us progressive woke people in the current society. Straight Face

That's entirely too much for me to read, Howie.

MY personal stance, screw all professional sports.

I have much better things to do with my time.

Rather than spend money to line the millionaires pockets, I'll spend that money helping local people in need.

I'll keep playing my Fantasy Football, but that's about it.

That's just me.

If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex, Hall of Heroes

Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

MoonKnight1
Saturday, August 08, 2020 9:39:32 AM
Shop at My Store
I guess I don't have to tell anyone what I think about Derrius Guice. Derrius Guice arrested on Domestic Violence charges, cut by Washington

Yes, I know. Innocent until proven guilty.