Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » What was your first big disappointment with reading/collecting comics?

What was your first big disappointment with reading/collecting comics?

2 pages: [1] 2
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, September 08, 2020 5:47:20 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,167 | Points: 34,860
Shop at My Store
Could be anything. Maybe your favorite series got cancelled or a character that you liked got booted off the team or a story arc that you were following had an unsatisfying conclusion. Any number of things that might have happened that caused you to feel let down and wondering "Why?"

In my case it happened in the mid-80's. I was 16 or 17 at the time and I had been reading Alpha Flight since early in the series. Can't remember which issue was the first one I picked up but I do recall that I was instantly hooked and tracked down the back issues which was no small feat in those pre-internet days. (Yes, there was a time when the world wide web wasn't any of that)

Man, I loved the story lines, the characters, the art, the writing - everything about it.

Then came Issue #29. In the previous issue there was an announcement in the letters page that the creative teams of Alpha Flight and The Incredible Hulk were swapping titles. No problem, I thought. I loved AF and thought that everything would be exactly the same as it had been.

Boy was I wrong. I found the art to be woefully inadequate, and I actually liked Mike MIgnola's art on other titles but to me it just didn't measure up with John Byrne's on this particular series. The writing went downhill and the stories just seemed bland and boring. Several of my favorite characters were so completely out of character to what they had been that it was difficult to enjoy. It was quite a disappointment.

The silver lining is that it caused me to realize that the characters themselves were secondary to the creative team drawing and scripting them. I came to this conclusion because I started picking up Incredible Hulk to see how JB handled that. I really liked it! I had only read a handful of Hulk tales at that time and wasn't too impressed. Didn't think they were bad just not my cuppa tea. Byrne did the same thing he did with AF (and other titles as I came to discover) creating interesting story arcs with dynamic art and character development.

Of course he bailed on Hulk after what, like 5 issues or something? I eventually learned that this was another one of JB's habits which is a topic for another thread. Talk to the Hand

I've had a few other disappointing experiences but I want to hear from you!


Howie's Saying of the Week

People are people so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully? Help me understand - Depeche Mode

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Xylob
Tuesday, September 08, 2020 7:55:56 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Joined: 8/12/2007 | Posts: 9,294 | Points: 104,434
Armageddon 2001.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by pronouncing you are greater than the One.
lcfrick
Tuesday, September 08, 2020 8:07:49 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 9/29/2014 | Posts: 1,224 | Points: 4,547
The "reveal" that Peter Parker was the clone and Ben Reilly was the original Peter Parker.

I was only 14 at the time, so I didn't have the full realization that very little in comics is ever permanent, so I thought this was it and this character that I didn't like was going to be Spider-man forever from here on out.

Of course, like the chump that I was (and still am), I still kept buying all the Spider-man titles and things eventually the ship was righted, but I still carry my disdain of Ben Reilly to this day. I despised the Scarlet Spiders series during Spider-verse which basically said that the Ben Reilly of another Earth never faced any adversity and made all the "correct" decisions where the Peter Parker of 616 made all the "wrong" decisions.
ratrapp
Tuesday, September 08, 2020 9:04:14 PM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member
Location: buena vista va
Joined: 11/2/2010 | Posts: 248 | Points: 744
the death of barry allen during crisis on infinite earths.took twenty some odd years to bring him back.next was tony stark not being howard starks son.is this still true or have they changed that?i quit reading after that.
pottersan
Wednesday, September 09, 2020 12:58:39 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Hiding amongst the 1%
Joined: 9/28/2007 | Posts: 5,118 | Points: 47,978
Shop at My Store
When Mike Zeck left Captain America.

I had other comics earlier, but it was Mike Zeck on Captain America that got me addicted.

When they changed to Paul Neary, I still read but it was never the same.


If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes
,



Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Seller.aspx?id=f3cb16b2-8046-415d-bdee-ac19da48a6c2
pottersan
Wednesday, September 09, 2020 12:59:38 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Hiding amongst the 1%
Joined: 9/28/2007 | Posts: 5,118 | Points: 47,978
Shop at My Store
ratrapp wrote:
the death of barry allen during crisis on infinite earths.took twenty some odd years to bring him back.next was tony stark not being howard starks son.is this still true or have they changed that?i quit reading after that.
I was shocked and thought " wow, he's really dead!"


If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes
,



Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Seller.aspx?id=f3cb16b2-8046-415d-bdee-ac19da48a6c2
pottersan
Wednesday, September 09, 2020 1:00:58 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Hiding amongst the 1%
Joined: 9/28/2007 | Posts: 5,118 | Points: 47,978
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Could be anything. Maybe your favorite series got cancelled or a character that you liked got booted off the team or a story arc that you were following had an unsatisfying conclusion. Any number of things that might have happened that caused you to feel let down and wondering "Why?"

In my case it happened in the mid-80's. I was 16 or 17 at the time and I had been reading Alpha Flight since early in the series. Can't remember which issue was the first one I picked up but I do recall that I was instantly hooked and tracked down the back issues which was no small feat in those pre-internet days. (Yes, there was a time when the world wide web wasn't any of that)

Man, I loved the story lines, the characters, the art, the writing - everything about it.

Then came Issue #29. In the previous issue there was an announcement in the letters page that the creative teams of Alpha Flight and The Incredible Hulk were swapping titles. No problem, I thought. I loved AF and thought that everything would be exactly the same as it had been.

Boy was I wrong. I found the art to be woefully inadequate, and I actually liked Mike MIgnola's art on other titles but to me it just didn't measure up with John Byrne's on this particular series. The writing went downhill and the stories just seemed bland and boring. Several of my favorite characters were so completely out of character to what they had been that it was difficult to enjoy. It was quite a disappointment.

The silver lining is that it caused me to realize that the characters themselves were secondary to the creative team drawing and scripting them. I came to this conclusion because I started picking up Incredible Hulk to see how JB handled that. I really liked it! I had only read a handful of Hulk tales at that time and wasn't too impressed. Didn't think they were bad just not my cuppa tea. Byrne did the same thing he did with AF (and other titles as I came to discover) creating interesting story arcs with dynamic art and character development.

Of course he bailed on Hulk after what, like 5 issues or something? I eventually learned that this was another one of JB's habits which is a topic for another thread. Talk to the Hand

I've had a few other disappointing experiences but I want to hear from you!

I as shocked and not that happy, but still enjoyed it and kept my mail order subscription up for a few years after.


If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes
,



Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Seller.aspx?id=f3cb16b2-8046-415d-bdee-ac19da48a6c2
pottersan
Wednesday, September 09, 2020 1:02:12 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Hiding amongst the 1%
Joined: 9/28/2007 | Posts: 5,118 | Points: 47,978
Shop at My Store
lcfrick wrote:
The "reveal" that Peter Parker was the clone and Ben Reilly was the original Peter Parker.

I was only 14 at the time, so I didn't have the full realization that very little in comics is ever permanent, so I thought this was it and this character that I didn't like was going to be Spider-man forever from here on out.

Of course, like the chump that I was (and still am), I still kept buying all the Spider-man titles and things eventually the ship was righted, but I still carry my disdain of Ben Reilly to this day. I despised the Scarlet Spiders series during Spider-verse which basically said that the Ben Reilly of another Earth never faced any adversity and made all the "correct" decisions where the Peter Parker of 616 made all the "wrong" decisions.
In hind site, I think the idea was cool, but at the time I hated as well.

I also didn't like the art on Age of Apocalypse and ignored the storyline at the time. I like it now...


If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes
,



Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Seller.aspx?id=f3cb16b2-8046-415d-bdee-ac19da48a6c2
Thundercron
Saturday, September 12, 2020 3:10:30 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 4,378 | Points: 61,451
Shop at My Store
Been wanting to get to this thread, but been a little preoccupied....

Although not my first disappointment, a big one for me was Daredevil #351 or 352 (see, it was so disappointing that I don't even remember what issue it was). A little backstory first....

Dan Chichester did his "Fall From Grace" storyline between #319-325. I thought the story was well done, and never fell apart under the weight of '90's hype. Part of the ending involved Matt Murdock faking his own death. The following issues featured his new identity, "occupation" (street hustler?), and supporting cast. Unfortunately, it was all very sub-par and pretty uninteresting. Still, I gave Chichester massive props for thinking so far outside of the box and trying something totally new and different. Plus, I knew things would eventually go back to normal (as Marvel does), so I didn't mind the ride.

Which brings us to Daredevil #351 (or 352). When the status quo went back to normal, it literally happened in the span of one panel. Matt Murdock bursts into a courtroom and says a few lines about his life was in danger, and Nick Fury faked his death to keep him safe.

And that was it. Absolutely no follow up. No discussion about where he was or what he was doing. No exploration of the effect his fake death had on his friends. No mention ever again of the events of the previous 25 issues.

One panel. It was such a cop out. Lazy writing. Another increasing example of a writer simply ignoring previous storylines rather than dealing with them in a creative way.

I was already becoming disillusioned with comics when this came out. This one really put the nail in the coffin for me. I hung on for maybe another year before I gave up on new comics altogether and mostly left the hobby for about ten years. I revisited new issues again briefly when Kevin Smith did his run. Alas, that was another disappointment to be discussed another time.
4saken1
Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:02:36 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Joined: 8/13/2007 | Posts: 2,820 | Points: 13,331
Shop at My Store
The Comico bankruptcy relaunch and ultimate demise. I was a huge fan of Elementals, Mage, and Grendel.

Other than that, pretty much the entire industry turning to crap in the late 80s/early 90s as publishers became more interested in turning a quick buck by prioritizing foil covers and multiple variant covers over quality writing.
ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Domestic orders of 25 or more comics qualify for FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Priority Mail orders of 25 or more comics receive a $5 refund (Foreign or Domestic orders).
Kingsman
Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:52:00 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Ohio
Joined: 12/30/2007 | Posts: 768 | Points: 21,037
Shop at My Store
Batman KnightQuest
MoonKnight1
Monday, September 14, 2020 5:31:25 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,167 | Points: 34,860
Shop at My Store
4saken1 wrote:
The Comico bankruptcy relaunch and ultimate demise. I was a huge fan of Elementals, Mage, and Grendel.

Yes, yes, yes and YES!

Good pull, Jeff. Same here. I absolutely loved Comico comics. What drew me to them at first was the wraparound cover on every book they printed, thought that was fabulous. Then I stayed because the art and stories were fantastic.

In addition to the titles you mentioned I will add Justice Machine, Fish Police, Maze Agency, Trollords, Johnny Quest, Robotech, Trouble With Girls...

When they went under a lot of these titles got picked up by other publishers like Dark Horse, Innovation and a couple others but I sure did miss Comico. Broken Heart

Side note: I love that Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons now has a girlfriend named Kumiko (pronounced "Comico"). Cool

Another early disappointment for me was when Marvel pulled the plug on the New Universe. I thought it was an awesome concept and most of the titles were done well, in my opinion.

Star Brand was super cool. I liked how eventually it was revealed that the brand was transferable so that others could use the power. I still remember reading the issue where the guy tried to put the brand on a barbell and ended up completely obliterating Pittsburgh. My jaw freaking dropped through the floor.

Psi-Force was really cool and reminded me of the Forever People and the Infinity Man, D.P. 7 was very X-men like, didn't like it much at first but eventually Spitfire and the Troubleshooters grew on me, didn't have much use for Mark Hazzard, Merc (seemed like a lame mash-up of Sgt. Fury and the Punisher) or Kickers, Inc (really? a super hero football team? meh). Another one that grew on me was Justice which seemed out of place at first but then "everything changed!" and it got better.

Nightmask was highly underrated. It was very evocative of Jim Steranko and early Dr. Strange. Surreal.

I was happy to see Untold Tales of the New Universe, newuniversal and even some of the characters being brought into the mainstream Marvel Universe. Thank you, Mark Gruenwald!

Howie's Saying of the Week

People are people so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully? Help me understand - Depeche Mode

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
comicuniversity
Monday, September 14, 2020 8:43:41 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,160 | Points: 7,255
This is a cool thread.

For me, it was when I read the issue of uncanny x-men (cant remember the issue # off the top of my head) where I realized the tail was now wagging the dog and the movies were driving the comics rather than the reverse.

It was the issue that the xmen were no longer wearing costumes and had replaced them with kind of just leather outfits similar to the movie outfits

As a comic guy I was so deeply offended by it.
padreglcc
Tuesday, September 15, 2020 8:20:50 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Location: Bangor, Michigan
Joined: 5/6/2007 | Posts: 6,727 | Points: 1,373,628
comicuniversity wrote:
This is a cool thread.

For me, it was when I read the issue of uncanny x-men (cant remember the issue # off the top of my head) where I realized the tail was now wagging the dog and the movies were driving the comics rather than the reverse.

It was the issue that the xmen were no longer wearing costumes and had replaced them with kind of just leather outfits similar to the movie outfits

As a comic guy I was so deeply offended by it.

Agreed. I remember that as well. I think this is the issue you might be talking about:
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
padreglcc
Tuesday, September 15, 2020 8:24:11 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Location: Bangor, Michigan
Joined: 5/6/2007 | Posts: 6,727 | Points: 1,373,628
One of my first big disappointments came when I was pretty young. I had just started collecting a few months before Marvel launched their Acts of Vengeance crossover. I was super pumped that there was going to be this massive story that would run through every Marvel title, so I bought every single book that had an Acts of Vengeance logo on it. I was so disappointed to learn that most of those books didn't have anything to do with the main AoV story at all. It was all a money grab. I still hate publisher-wide crossovers.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
AlacrityFitzhugh
Tuesday, September 22, 2020 1:42:38 PM
Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Lynnwood, WA, USA
Joined: 9/10/2008 | Posts: 64 | Points: 1,270
The New 52. Relaunching characters without history was a mistake. I gave it 18 months then dropped DC entirely (and I'd been a DC fan since childhood).

-- Alacrity

padreglcc
Tuesday, September 22, 2020 9:31:39 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Location: Bangor, Michigan
Joined: 5/6/2007 | Posts: 6,727 | Points: 1,373,628
AlacrityFitzhugh wrote:
The New 52. Relaunching characters without history was a mistake. I gave it 18 months then dropped DC entirely (and I'd been a DC fan since childhood).

That's so interesting. I absolutely loved the New 52. I had only read Legion and Green Lantern before, but I started picking up all sorts of DC books. I did get super annoyed that they gave up on what was obviously an overarching plan for the N52 universe so quickly.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
Thundercron
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 2:46:31 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 4,378 | Points: 61,451
Shop at My Store
Probably my first disappointment in comics was being seven or eight and constantly going to the convenience store always waiting for the next issue of something and it never being there. Took me a while to realize comics were published on a monthly (and sometimes bi-monthly) schedule.

Actually, buying comics from newsstands was fraught with disappointments. Most places I bought from could never keep a particular title around for a consistent amount of time. Always seemed to be dropping titles, only to pick them up again six months or a year later.
Kevinbruns
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 12:27:57 PM
Rank: Supporting Cast
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Joined: 3/20/2018 | Posts: 16 | Points: 48
I didn't start reading comics (as a hobby) until 1989. But in hindsight.. I grew up in a fairly poor single-family (divorced) home so.. limited money, hence my collecting habits were limited to the basics. But I'd say My biggest early disappointment was more of a multi-part punch. And that was when Breyfogle (and then briefly Aparo) were taken off of Batman and the book transitioned from Manley to the knockout-punch for me.. Kelly Jones. ( I hear he is a wonderful person.. but his art on the Bat is so off putting to me, i actually dropped out of collecting comics from issue 522 (i switched to Manga/Anime watching) and didnt really come back until like.. issue 629 (August 2004) ( Im sure BAMF was happy when I placed an order backfilling all those issues from his store a couple years ago LOL)

Other issues were at play that had a negative impact on my collecting, but once Batman was torpedo's for me. .that caused me to just walk away.

Going on a tangent (because i can never stay on topic) The biggest disappointment of all for me was the flood of speculators (90s and today) who turned this into a commodities game making certain books either very hard to find, or incredibly expensive to obtain. Im not inherently against grading (slabbing), but it is disappointing to me that there is a growing group of people who, to me are more worried about a grade # than the actual book itself. but. .to each his own there.



Also, my most recent disappointment- 2 years ago was the first time ive gone to a comic convention since the early 90s..

HOLY @#%@%%@%$@%$ crushingly disappointed... every time since.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, September 24, 2020 10:26:57 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,167 | Points: 34,860
Shop at My Store
Kevinbruns wrote:
Also, my most recent disappointment- 2 years ago was the first time ive gone to a comic convention since the early 90s..

HOLY @#%@%%@%$@%$ crushingly disappointed... every time since.

Yeah, remember when comic book conventions were almost wholly about comic books? Neither do I...Broken Heart

Speaking of "remember when" one of my big disappointment is that letters pages in comics are pretty much a thing of the past. I really enjoyed reading comments by other fans and following some serious debates or discussions. Of course now we have the internet for that but it's just not the same. Boo Hoo!

Howie's Saying of the Week

People are people so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully? Help me understand - Depeche Mode

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 pages: [1] 2

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.306 seconds.
(0.127 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. P-WIN-IIS01