Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » How do you get your new comics?
clp17
Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:30:48 PM
Groups: Member
I'm not sure if most people on here are shop owners but I was wandering how most people get there new comics?Is there an online service with discounts or do you go to your local shop?Is there any way to get harder to find variants?
Thanks in advance.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, January 21, 2021 8:19:13 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Anything brand new that I need I get from my local comic shop - Velocity Comics in Richmond. They almost always have what I want or can order it.

If I can't get it from them I look for someone here that might have it, we have a bunch of stores that consistently list new releases.

Howie's Saying of the Week

Change is supremely inconvenient, uncomfortable and naturally scary. Yet we only move through life through the process of change, reinvention and renewal - Christine Evangelou

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
Hawkman71
Thursday, January 21, 2021 8:39:53 PM
I go to my local comic shop a few weeks out of every month to get new issues. I also buy back issues from there or on EBay. I have the DCU app and Marvel Unlimited app to read issues I missed out on and can't afford like the 1960's books.
Xylob
Friday, January 22, 2021 7:44:22 AM
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Local options have dwindled and those remaining are fraught with poor customer service, cut-throat practices, and high prices.
I switched to DCBS a few years ago and never looked back.

Back-issues I generally shop Midtown and Lonestar, sometimes eBay, and when the BS codeword "sales" are good enough I'll drive to Mile High.
Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

There is only One who is fit to judge me. It most definetely isn't YOU.
Take it upon yourself to judge me... and you damn yourself by declaring you are greater than the One.
lcfrick
Friday, January 22, 2021 9:56:44 AM
We still get our subscriptions from the same "local" shop we've been getting them from for over 25 years (it's funny to think that I started off with just subscriptions to Showcase '94 and Green Lantern). We've moved half-way across the country and the shop was sold a few years ago, but they've always treated us great so it's worth getting a shipment once a month (or once every 2-3 weeks recently since the orders have gotten too big for one month).

As far as hard to find variants, because we've been with them for so long they generally give us first crack at variants if we ask and any time there's returnability on Transformers incentive covers they order enough to get us the incentives. (I still dread to think how many of the Transformers/My Little Pony #1's he returned after getting the 1:100 cover for me).

Outside of that, Ebay is where I pick up any other variants I'm looking for, since comic cons are a long shot for that sort of thing.
bluedevil2002
Saturday, January 23, 2021 10:24:17 AM
Xylob wrote:
I switched to DCBS a few years ago and never looked back.

I did the same. I've got a couple of places to check out if there's a random new issue that I don't manage to get from DCBS, but they're not super-convenient. (Every once in a while, I'm late to the party on a storyline.)
SwiftMann
Saturday, January 23, 2021 10:34:14 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I used DCBS for nearly a decade (and another defunct online service before it), but switched to an LCBS a couple years ago. Between tax, shipping costs, missing product, and bad packaging, DCBS really fell apart for me.

It took a bit to get my LCBS in sync with my random orders, but we found our stride and now I go once or twice a week to get my books, dig through new back issues, and b.s. with the owner. Plus, it's only five minutes away.

I'm not a variant collector, so I don't sweat the 100 variants per issue of everything that the hobby has turned into. I do like to pick up certain artists, but, again, with all the store exclusives, I just can't be bothered to cherry pick from different places for a book I just want for the cover. I've got plenty of random 80s and 90s comics to find from great stores here every few months.
clp17
Saturday, January 23, 2021 6:36:18 PM
Thanks for the responses.I go to a comic shop 30 minutes away.But,I am becoming frustrated with brand new comics being above cover price day 1.Even 2nd printings above cover sometimes.Ordering online seems to be expensive because of shipping.I want to support new comics and my comic shop but you cannot just get a new title unless you ask in advance.I have never been offered a 1 in 10 or higher variant.I have been a customer for over a decade.I love reading and collecting comics but it has become so expensive and I still miss alot of cool stuff.Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.
Thundercron
Saturday, January 23, 2021 11:01:19 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
clp17 wrote:
Thanks for the responses.I go to a comic shop 30 minutes away.But,I am becoming frustrated with brand new comics being above cover price day 1.Even 2nd printings above cover sometimes.Ordering online seems to be expensive because of shipping.I want to support new comics and my comic shop but you cannot just get a new title unless you ask in advance.I have never been offered a 1 in 10 or higher variant.I have been a customer for over a decade.I love reading and collecting comics but it has become so expensive and I still miss alot of cool stuff.Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

Sounds like local shops aren't doing you right. I sent you a personal message regarding my new comic subscription service. Maybe it can help you out.
4saken1
Sunday, January 24, 2021 10:59:28 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I use DCBS and am very satisfied with them. I get my comics shipped monthly because I'm not in a particular hurry to read things right when they come out. I've been using them for about five years and only recall missing a comic book once. Luckily they had another copy and shipped it with my next order. I choose to go with bags and backings included. Almost all of my comics come in NM condition.

I use the reviews at Comic Book Roundup to find new titles that I might be interested in that I wasn't sure about when I looked at the Previews for that month's comics (available for download at DCBS) and often come here to buy them or use eBay if none of the stores have them stocked. There are a few CCL stores which have Free Shipping options when you buy a certain number of comics or reach a particular dollar threshold. I'll usually wait until I have enough comics in my WishList to qualify for this option unless I don't think the comics that I want will be available for long or I just can't wait to read something.
ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Domestic orders of 25 or more comics qualify for FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Priority Mail orders of 25 or more comics receive a $5 refund (Foreign or Domestic orders).
SwiftMann
Sunday, January 24, 2021 11:08:38 AM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
clp17 wrote:

Standard covers being marked up on day 1 or variants? Do you have a pull box at your LCBS and they are even marking up preorders?

Variants marked up immediately and/or not "offered" to customers is pretty standard. And really, a main way for comic shops to make money off of comics. Dirty little secret for a lot of shops - they aren't making much off of comics, it's all the other stuff.

But standard covers being marked up on day 1 stinks. It's happening a bit more due to speculators, so retailers who realize that Daredevil #25 was a $20 book by 2pm the Wednesday it came out probably marked up all their shelf copies.
Flagwaver
Wednesday, February 03, 2021 8:07:55 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Been using DCBS for 13 years and have been very pleased with their service. I get my books once a month. I can't recall ever having a problem and if I have a question, they usually get back to me quickly.