Welcome Guest Active Topics
MoonKnight1
Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:46:27 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
The Middle Atlantic, specifically Virginia, just got pummeled by Winter Storm Tabitha and I for one have been stuck in the house with no electricity for the past day or so. Not just me either, at least 100,000 households in the area are dark.

Needless to say, this has severely restricted my ability to get any work done such as listing comics and replying to messages. I was finally able to make it to my warehouse today as the car was frozen solid - literally - for a while and the roads have been death traps.

Luckily the power is still on here and hopefully it will be restored at the house soon. Could be tough to communicate for a day or so.

Colleen and I are staying warm. Just had a cord of firewood delivered a couple of weeks ago so the fireplace is getting a workout. It's cold enough outside that we can put the beer on the back porch and it as actually colder than the refrigerator usually gets it! Got plenty of comics to read, batteries for the radio and a grill to cook on so we're making the best of things! Party

I hope that anyone else affected by this is doing well. Please stay safe everyone and I will be back in touch and up to speed as soon as Nature allows. Daydreaming

MoonKnight1
Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:51:55 AM
Shop at My Store
BTW, I have been trying to take care of all of the messages that I have received in the last couple of days. If I have not replied to you please, by all means, send me another message. I am not ghosting you and if I haven't gotten back to you it's nothing personal. I'm doing the best I can under trying circumstances and I super appreciate all of your patience!

We will be back on track very soon. Waiting
crunchbird
Sunday, February 14, 2021 11:49:25 AM
Groups: Member
Wow! Just stay warm Howie. No ice here but we are expecting a foot of snow this week. This is all Phil's fault of course, winter was fine until he saw his shadow.
MoonKnight1
Monday, February 15, 2021 7:12:32 PM
Shop at My Store
We're back up now. Dancing

Only about 48 hours so I've had worse. We got the fireplace going and if you think that an electricity free Saint Valentine's Day with your sweetie, a steak on the grill dinner, bottle of wine, roaring fire and homemade chocolates wasn't romantic and productive then you are fooling yourself. Cool

Now it looks like there is another ice storm heading this way on Thursday. Hoping that power stays on this time. I actually did get some work done during the outage. Sorted comic books and G. I. Joe figures. Made the best of things and it wasn't really that bad. Some people still haven't gotten power restored so could be worse. They did a great job getting it back up and I can't thank the workers enough. It is a dangerous job in the best of conditions and these were not that at all.

I hope that everyone here affected by this one and possibly the next one gets through alright. I know a bunch of you are in this area so please stay safe.

Anyone else want to post your stories here please do.
lcfrick
Monday, February 15, 2021 8:59:35 PM
Thankfully in the mid-midwest we've only gotten snow and even though it's been constant we haven't had much accumulation.

Unfortunately the reason we've only gotten snow and not any ice is because the temperature has been absolutely frigid.

The high today was zero. Not zero as in freezing, zero as in Fahrenheit... thirty-two degrees below freezing.
Thundercron
Monday, February 15, 2021 9:56:12 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Glad you're back up and running, Howie. Six months ago I was fleeing apocalyptic forest fires; now I'm contending with apocalyptic ice storms! Our power has been out since Friday, and the severe weather is affecting cell phone service, so internet has been basically down. The main road out of the area was impassible as of yesterday due to downed trees, but was finally cleared out and driveable today. Weather is now in the forties, so all the ice is rapidly melting now. So I'm finally able to get back into town to my own comic warehouse and maybe get some orders caught up. The landlord hooked up a generator to the well, so now we have running water again. 320,000 residences and businesses are without power ( a record), and they're saying we won't have juice until anytime between three days to ten days from now.
bluedevil2002
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 9:12:48 AM
I'm pretty sure the only reason I didn't lose power other than a few flickers was because a car accident knocked out our power for about 11 hours a couple of weeks ago, and the repairs made then fortified the power lines close to the neighborhood.

But I think we got a thunderstorm last night around midnight.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, February 16, 2021 12:40:13 PM
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:
Glad you're back up and running, Howie. Six months ago I was fleeing apocalyptic forest fires; now I'm contending with apocalyptic ice storms! Our power has been out since Friday, and the severe weather is affecting cell phone service, so internet has been basically down. The main road out of the area was impassible as of yesterday due to downed trees, but was finally cleared out and driveable today. Weather is now in the forties, so all the ice is rapidly melting now. So I'm finally able to get back into town to my own comic warehouse and maybe get some orders caught up. The landlord hooked up a generator to the well, so now we have running water again. 320,000 residences and businesses are without power ( a record), and they're saying we won't have juice until anytime between three days to ten days from now.

Dang, Corey. Sounds like you are in a George R. R. Martin story. A Song of Fire and Ice. Hopefully you steer clear of the White Walkers. Nailbiting

Seriously though, good luck. I hope things get back up and running for you very soon.

We are looking at Round 2 later this week. They are calling for up to a half an inch of ice. Hopefully power stays on this time. Pray
MoonKnight1
Friday, February 19, 2021 10:14:23 AM
Shop at My Store
Well, round two is here. Power went out this morning, not sure when it will be back. Last weekend it was out for about two days, hopefully won't be down as long this go around.

I still have juice at my warehouse spot so I will be here once a day driving conditions permitting. All orders are going out today at least. Thanks for everyone's patience!

There are several other stores on the East Coast that are similarly affected so it's not just me. Boo Hoo! Rain
MoonKnight1
Sunday, March 07, 2021 11:19:42 AM
Shop at My Store
Wow, that was something.

We lost power in Richmond twice in a 7 day span. Three days total. And that was actually better than what other people had to endure. Some places in the southern parts of Virginia and into North Carolina were out for weeks. My Mom had to spend a week in a motel before her power was restored.

I didn't do a lot of driving myself because there are a ton of morons down here that have trouble driving safely in normal conditions. Sure enough, the last few weeks I have seen scores of vehicles with fresh damage on them driving around. Idiots. Loser Loser Loser

I hope that you all got through this OK. Also my thoughts and prayers to our people in Texas who suffered through that unprecedented power outage and historically low temperatures.

Stay safe everyone! Wave Pray
Thundercron
Sunday, March 07, 2021 12:27:01 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
We didn't get powere restored for eleven days after the storm on February 12. Had four lines down here on the property (it's a 100+ acre tree farm with about four residences plus barns and outbuildings). Fortunately the landlord hooked up the well to a generator after the first few days, so we at least had running water. Pretty interesting watching the local community slowly lose it via the Facebook community page. Honestly, I think losing power for eleven days is a first world problem. There were actually people suggesting that the Red Cross or other organizations put them up in a hotel room. Really? It's not like we were experiencing what happened in Puerto RIco, or some other area with a natural disaster. We could still drive into town and get a hot meal, shower at a friend's house, or get other essentials. I think people are way too soft.

Glad it's over, though. Definitely will have to look at getting a generator or something for next time. Be more prepared. That kind of thing.