Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » NFL Offseason Chatter - 2021
2 pages: [1] 2
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 2:36:21 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
What Offseason? Devil

What's going on with your favorite NFL team? How did you like their performance last year and what do you think they will do next year to improve?

Also feel free to post about anything NFL related.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 2:45:14 PM
Shop at My Store
I'm going to have a more comprehensive post later but for now...

Taylor Heinicke!!!! Dancing Applause Party Big Hug

Just got a 2 year contract with the team formerly known as the Washington Redskins and soon to be renamed something else but for the time being is called The Washington Football Team (Fighting TWFT's!) - what a mouthful.

So happy that he has gotten a chance to come back and do something. Not sure if he is the QB of the future but definitely glad he is going to get a shot.
lcfrick
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 8:19:18 PM
Groups: Member
Unfortunately for the Ravens, their offensive line problems just got worse. Because our left tackle was injured (not even one quarter after getting a massive extension), our right tackle (who shifted over to left tackle after the injury) has now asked for a trade to a team where he can play left tackle.

On the plus side, I'd be stunned if the Ravens got less than a 1st round pick for him, but on the downside, it means we're going to be downgraded at the right tackle position next year.
comicuniversity
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:16:16 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator
Steelers signed Dwayne Haskins. Solid no risk/high reward move
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:49:08 PM
Shop at My Store
IF you haven't heard this yet, here is Kevin Harlan's commentary (on live radio) of the Super Bowl Streaker: Kevin Harlan's radio call of fan on the Field at Super Bowl 55 (w/ video)

Quote: Pull up your pants, take off the bra and be a man!

Crying and laughing. Crying Laughing Rolling on the Floor
comicuniversity
Friday, February 12, 2021 12:03:46 PM
Steeler's Maurkice Pouncey retired.

His best days were for sure behind him but he will still be hard to replace.
MoonKnight1
Friday, February 12, 2021 12:08:59 PM
Shop at My Store
Didn't the Houston Texans used to be good? Like five minutes ago?

Wow, they are imploding. Ooh
MoonKnight1
Friday, February 12, 2021 12:11:58 PM
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
Steeler's Maurkice Pouncey retired.

His best days were for sure behind him but he will still be hard to replace.

His twin brother, Mike. is also retiring. Think
comicuniversity
Monday, February 15, 2021 9:18:21 PM
Vance Mcdonald retired from the Steelers.
Unlike pouncey this is Addition by subtraction.

Mcdonald was a good player but he is clearly done and his retirement gives the steelers some much needed flexibility.
comicuniversity
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 5:55:21 PM
Bacon Double Cheeseburger is officially coming back to chuck the rock for the Steelers again next year.
Thank God.
I can't, for the life of me, understand why so many think he is done. I watched a lot of steelers football last year. Looked pretty good to me.

At the very least he beats anyone else they got by a lot.

MoonKnight1
Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:13:55 PM
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
At the very least he beats anyone else they got by a lot.

Don't the Steelers have Dwayne Haskins? Devil

I think that one reason people think that Burger Ben is done is because he is constantly hinting that he might be done. Seems to me the last few years in the offseason he keeps waffling about whether he's coming back or not. It makes sense for Pittsburgh to make some plans for the future QB.

Weird story about Matthew Judon (Ravens). Says he wants an apology from ESPN reporter Jamison Hensley for an article he wrote or Judon would reveal pictures of Hensley in a strip club. Um, what? Time Out
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, March 02, 2021 1:17:09 PM
Shop at My Store
JJ Watt to the Cardinals was stunning to me. I kept hearing "Packers! Bills! Patriots! Buccaneers!". Never once even thought he would go to Arizona.

The Washington Football Team (Fighting TWFT's!) are apparently letting Alex Smith go. Not surprised and not disappointed. The dude was awesome, played his heart out. Came back from a literally life threatening injury. He gets my applause. Applause

However, the reality is that he is a 37 year old QB (turning 38 during next season) and had the aforementioned injury. When he played last year he did well enough to win more games than they lost. It was very obvious though, that in the second half of games last year, that the injury was affecting his performance.

I admire his resilience in coming back from a horrific injury and he exceeded my expectations. It's just obvious to me that he is not a 16 game starting quarterback anymore. I don't know much about Kyle Allen or Taylor Heinicke but I'm sure that right now, either one is a better option than Alex Smith. I would love to have him as a QB coach.
comicuniversity
Thursday, March 04, 2021 9:38:23 PM
Steelers resigned Roethlisberger to a huge cap reduced contract. Big help to the team.

In other Steeler news, they resigned one of their restricted free agents today, J.C. Hassenauer.
This is not big news. He is really nothing more than o-line depth but at least he is some consistency at a position that benefits greatly from it.
comicuniversity
Thursday, March 11, 2021 11:04:58 AM
Steelers have resigned two players that were restricted free agents in some way.

WR/KR Ray Ray Mcloud and LB Marcus Allen.

Neither of these moves have me putting my money down in Vegas, but they are both solid players and, in Allen's case moreso, have real upside to develop.

The Steelers, like most teams this year, have cap issues.
Moves like this make me way more confident that they will be able to put together a decent team despite the cap crunch.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, March 18, 2021 5:12:46 PM
Shop at My Store
Not sure how I feel about Fitzpatrick to the Fighting TWFT's. I mean, he does have some jaw dropping moments in the highlight reels but at the same time he has some jaw dropping fails in the highlight reels as well.

Dude's been in the league for 16 years and he is now on his ninth team. If he was that great you'd think that one of those previous teams would have kept him around. Confused His career record is 59-86-1 which is a not so inspiring percentage. Sure, he's been on some crappy teams....

I like him as a backup but don't have a lot of confidence in him as a starter.
bluedevil2002
Thursday, March 18, 2021 6:58:17 PM
Groups: Member
He'll give us half a good season. Now it's up to the coaches to be able to properly identify when to pull the trigger on Heinicke or whoever else is in the mix for the other 8 games.

Fitzpatrick is 59-86-1? That's 146 games. Including the playoffs, the Redskins/WFT have played 147 games over the last 9 seasons, with a 58-88-1 record.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, March 18, 2021 7:10:22 PM
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
He'll give us half a good season. Now it's up to the coaches to be able to properly identify when to pull the trigger on Heinicke or whoever else is in the mix for the other 8 games.

Fitzpatrick is 59-86-1? That's 146 games. Including the playoffs, the Redskins/WFT have played 147 games over the last 9 seasons, with a 58-88-1 record.

Excellent! I consider that a Victory! Silly
monidaw1
Friday, April 16, 2021 1:01:43 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
The rumors are flying about Washington jumping up the draft board to grab a QB. I have to say I'm gun shy on going all in on a high draft pick after living thru RG3, Jason Campbell, Heath Shuler and the Selfie Kid. I'd much rather see them give the kid from the playoff's a legit shot at continuing what he displayed in the playoff's. If you're going to toss lots of draft picks at someone, I'd rather it be in a trade for an established veteran over another crapshoot that history says will more likely end up a bust than in the Hall.

The team looks built to win right now. They filled most of their biggest needs in free agency already. 2 legit receivers to pair with Scary Terry, a third to handle kickoffs, corner looks good now, the guy they just picked up for Tight end to replace Moss sounds like he may be the gem of the offseason. This might even finally be the appearance of Love.

It sounds like they have some interesting options to move people around to handle the safety position including Landon Collins.

What's really left as a legit need? Left Tackle maybe but they drafted the heir apparent last year if they can resist moving him to tackle. A stud linebacker or two from the 2nd or later rounds.

Fitzmagic I can't get excited about knowing he's a half season to 1 year filler option. If they're going to jump up the draft board and grab a name, it sounds like this may be the year to do it but how much are they going to give away? It sounds like grab a left tackle if you don't believe in the kid from last year or give away the next several drafts excitement to gamble on a kid and undermine Fitz this year. We'll know soon enough. The tock is clicking on Riverboat Ron.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, April 18, 2021 5:55:47 PM
Shop at My Store
What will the new nickname be for the Team Formerly Named The Washington Redskins?

Here are the choices, apparently:

My first impression was, Meh. The second was, Ho-Hum. Third, I think that I am going to be nauseous.

Or, to put it in emoji terms: Straight Face Sleepy Sick

My number one choice would be the DC Redskins. That would eliminate the most offensive part. Shame on You

Seems like a lot of Soccer * names or Division III NCAA or Rec League Softball. Can't comment on them all and some of them are obvious troll jobs or designed to fail choices so here are just a few.

Demon Cats? Don't get me wrong, I love cats. I have owned (or did they own me?) a Demon Cat or two in my life. Kinda have one now. But seriously, you can't go from "Redskins" to something named after hellspawn. Don't you realize that the Right Wing fanatics will come down on you hard for using "Demon" in the name? After all, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays had to drop the D-Word due to pressure.

Griffins? As in Bob Griffin AKA RG3? Confused Laughing

Monarchs and Royals. Three words - No. Freaking. Way. You want to rebrand a team in our nation's capitol and name it after Kings, Queens, Emperors, Empresses? Tories will be protesting outside of the stadium that they are being Culturally Appropriated. Tongue

Presidents. That's actually a good idea. They could wear Republican themed jersey's for road games and Democrat ones for home games. Redskins have already had a guy named Clinton and at least one named Johnson, don't think Reggie Bush played there. Has there been a President Riggins? Confused

Redtails. (Disclaimer - I'm having fun with most of these but this is a serious take) I actually like the name. Not only is it reminiscent of the Red Tailed Hawk there is also the connotation to the all black fighter squadron that fought in World War II. There is a history of bird themed nicknames in the NFL including the NFC East Eagles and the Cardinals who used to be in the division. My only real concern would be how easy it would be for opposing fans to come up with derogatory chants, etc. But that's just a minor quibble. I think this is the one that they have already decided on and they are going to have a fake "contest" to reveal it. Shame on You

Rubies. I am not kidding you, the first time I read this I thought it said Rubles as in the currency of Russia. Then I thought, "Well, why not?" Where did this idea come from? Is the Washington area known for it's Ruby mines? Could they possibly be talking about Jack Ruby?

Swifts. You just know I'm going with Taylor Smith, don't you? OK, since you insisted. Could this be why - because her song "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" is what Dan Snyder has as his automated message for when Bruce Allen calls him? Well, that's a pretty good guess and I will not confirm or deny.

Wild Hogs
. OK, I see. Because of The Hogs offensive line. Wow. That's a swine idea but sow predictive. Someone must have had a porker face when suggesting this one.

The Washington Football Team. Well, why not. It did work out last year am I right? Lost more games than won but still took the division and gave the eventual Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers a scare in the first round of the playoffs. Not to mention that they already have a snazzy new moniker - The Fighting TWFT's! (Copyright pending). Plus they have all of that gear they have been merchandising and need to sell. Hmmm. Maybe they could change names every year and sell more schwag? Think Someone get me Dan Snyder's digits! On the Phone Phone number, not fingers.

The Washington 32 FC (W32)
- Is this supposed to be the name of a professional NFL team or a Wi-Fi password? Wall

First City Football Club. What is this even supposed to mean? Not only is it too soccer-ish but also has no relevance or context at all. Washington, DC is not the "First City" of anything. Maybe the first city to be named Washington but I'm not 100% about that. Definitely not the first city to have a "Football Club", not even close. It's not a "Club" like we can be paid members of and wear matching outfits and go hang out and get wasted and watch a sporting event and.... wait a minute. Now that I think about it, maybe it is a Club. Still it's a horrible name for a football team.

I've got more but that's it for now.

* - I'm not trying to be harsh on Soccer. I actually kind of like Futbol AKA The Beautiful Game. Big Hug
pottersan
Sunday, April 18, 2021 5:58:22 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
It's Washington, so who really cares?

My vote would be maybe Senators?

Continentals?

If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes

Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.