Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » This is why eBay is unreliable for comic book searching

This is why eBay is unreliable for comic book searching

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 12:00:33 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,593 | Points: 37,475
Shop at My Store
Can't say what I really want to because well, this is a family site!

Man, the eBay search engine is pretty dumb. Probably because it is based on flawed information presented by Users and accepted as fact because there is no one to officially Approve the submitted data but that's only part of it.

I do a lot of research to determine my prices and it is frequently a fruitless slog through their search bar to find exactly what I am looking for.

Case in point, I have a copy of Cable #87 published in 2001 that I want to list. I see that there is only one listed on CCL and it is priced higher than other issues surrounding it. I wonder why. So I look for the issue on eBay and pretty much all I'm getting is New Mutants #87 - 1st appearance of Cable.

I don't want New Mutants #87, I am trying to find Cable #87. Wall

Finally I am able to find a listing or 2 of that and discover that it is the "death" of Pyro. I'm quoting because we all know comics deaths are rarely final. So mystery solved.

So happy to have the comic book database that we have here.

Anyone have their stories about how frustrating it can be to find things on the bay let me know. I actually have more myself...Waiting
lcfrick
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:07:30 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 9/29/2014 | Posts: 1,368 | Points: 4,979
One useful minor trick you can use on the Ebay search engine is the minus sign to remove unwanted words. For example searching for "Cable #87 -mutants" in collectibles yields only 39 results (though funnily enough still one result for "New Mutant #87.")

Unfortunately there are still plenty of problems.

When I first got back into collecting after a 10 year break I worked on picking up the New 52 Batman titles. #1 was much more of a key issue at the time (geez it's really come down in price since I bought it).

Good luck finding that issue by just putting in "Batman #1" in the search bar.

Heck, even putting "Batman #1 New 52" in the search bar still yielded pretty much every single New 52 Bat-title that was a #1, a 1st appearance, 1st printing, or even incentive variants where they list the ratio.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:25:22 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,593 | Points: 37,475
Shop at My Store
lcfrick wrote:
Heck, even putting "Batman #1 New 52" in the search bar still yielded pretty much every single New 52 Bat-title that was a #1, a 1st appearance, 1st printing, or even incentive variants where they list the ratio.

That is pretty much EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Try finding Avengers #1 from 2010 or any other year for that matter. Even using their filters you still have to page through several times to find it if you even can. Shows everything with "Avengers" in the title bar followed by the number 1.

Problem with using keywords is that a lot of eBay sellers don't put them in the title bar so if you search like that you could miss their listing.

Good tip with using the minus sign. I will mix that in.
Thundercron
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 2:50:51 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 4,539 | Points: 63,554
Shop at My Store
You think you got it bad? At least your search didn't result in you bidding over $350+ because of a bad item title. What's wrong with this picture? 😁😁

https://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-surfer-3-8-5-/203273382532?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 3:10:22 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,593 | Points: 37,475
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:
You think you got it bad? At least your search didn't result in you bidding over $350+ because of a bad item title. What's wrong with this picture? 😁😁

https://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-surfer-3-8-5-/203273382532?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

HOLY *@%>$!!!

Are you kidding me? How in the hell did that happen? Maybe I should start using the Fire Emoji in my eBay listings...Think
SwiftMann
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:34:37 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Location: PA
Joined: 4/19/2007 | Posts: 13,635 | Points: 2,461,788
Shop at My Store
Ouch.

Think those 63 bids are just two people? Or one sucker and the seller's alt account.

Eh, probably more than two people. Those that aren't struggling have money burning holes in their pockets.
bluedevil2002
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 10:46:42 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Joined: 7/19/2010 | Posts: 809 | Points: 8,069
MoonKnight1 wrote:
lcfrick wrote:
Heck, even putting "Batman #1 New 52" in the search bar still yielded pretty much every single New 52 Bat-title that was a #1, a 1st appearance, 1st printing, or even incentive variants where they list the ratio.

That is pretty much EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Try finding Avengers #1 from 2010 or any other year for that matter.


Exhibit A for why relaunching comics series sucks! Even when the relaunch makes sense or can be justified (like the Buffy "seasons").

I gave up on using the "search description" feature years ago. Where it used to be a way to snag some sneaky good deals, now it's just more crap to wade through.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, March 24, 2021 12:08:27 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,593 | Points: 37,475
Shop at My Store
Just remembered this one. Can't find the listing (surprise, surprise) but someone had this comic listed and touted it as the "First Appearance of Bullseye!"



OK, now that is sort of correct. The character pictured on the cover is named "Bull's Eye" and that is his first and only appearance since he died at the end of the story. Sorry, I should have said, "Spoiler!". However, he is no Benjamin Poindexter. Or whatever his real name is.
Thundercron
Sunday, April 04, 2021 3:22:14 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 4,539 | Points: 63,554
Shop at My Store
Looking for a Hulk #181?

Looks like some people should have read the description!
Or heck, maybe just look at the picture!
MoonKnight1
Sunday, April 04, 2021 4:18:52 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,593 | Points: 37,475
Shop at My Store
Thundercron wrote:
Looking for a Hulk #181?

Looks like some people should have read the description!
Or heck, maybe just look at the picture!

You never know, maybe the buyer was looking for the Marvel Value Stamp. Nerd Tongue
MoonKnight1
Sunday, April 04, 2021 4:40:44 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,593 | Points: 37,475
Shop at My Store
There are a lot of eBay people who don't read the description. Someone searches for "Venom Action Figure" and finds this:


Then they are PO'd when they get a comic book instead of an action figure and accuse you of intentionally misleading them as to what you listed even though it was listed under Comic Books - Single Issue and it was mentioned in the description twice that it was a comic book and not an action figure and everything in the Item Specifics were comic book related and then they say that you "hid" the information from them in the TWO sentence description.........Wall Wall Wall

Not that that is exactly what happened to me or anything...Liar
bluedevil2002
Sunday, April 04, 2021 7:06:38 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Joined: 7/19/2010 | Posts: 809 | Points: 8,069
That's a lot of stupid in that Hulk listing. Most of the bids are unique users and there's 5 retracted bids on top of that.

The timing doesn't match up, but it would be funny if the winning bidder had the sniping software set up to put a ridiculously high number in to win at the last second, thinking that they'd only have to pay $5 or something, and then they saw the $152 winning bid.
Thundercron
Sunday, April 04, 2021 8:35:55 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 4,539 | Points: 63,554
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
That's a lot of stupid in that Hulk listing. Most of the bids are unique users and there's 5 retracted bids on top of that.

The timing doesn't match up, but it would be funny if the winning bidder had the sniping software set up to put a ridiculously high number in to win at the last second, thinking that they'd only have to pay $5 or something, and then they saw the $152 winning bid.


I was watching when it ended. Unfortunately there was no last minute craziness to laugh at. It had already been bid up to $152 well before it closed.

Looks like whoever won backed out, because it's relisted. Already up to $20+....
Mobtownjoe
Monday, April 19, 2021 11:11:08 AM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Joined: 1/29/2013 | Posts: 92 | Points: 297
Shop at My Store
Im glad to hear that the main problem is expecting the eBay search engine to operate like CCLs. Have to agree that I dislike eBays search, as regardless of which catagory you are searching, it is overridden to give you more options that you ask for.

I has been explained to me that eBays search
is specifically designed to result in items that contain the keywords and any other items finally purchased as a result of related keyword searchs. Just by adding specificity to the eBay listing, the search narrows, but those changes must happen on a LISTING scale, and eBay is attempting to do just that, by forcing item specifics from seller listings.

Also, PROMOTED listings using propriietary search algorythums offset by $$$ change those results.

I know I'm just stating the obvious, but you guys have reminded me how important search info is here, regardless of the sales implications of the 'misinfo storm' that eBay enables.

mini-rant over

-JC
pottersan
Monday, April 19, 2021 1:56:56 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Hiding amongst the 1%
Joined: 9/28/2007 | Posts: 5,179 | Points: 48,193
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
You think you got it bad? At least your search didn't result in you bidding over $350+ because of a bad item title. What's wrong with this picture? 😁😁

https://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-surfer-3-8-5-/203273382532?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

HOLY *@%>$!!!

Are you kidding me? How in the hell did that happen? Maybe I should start using the Fire Emoji in my eBay listings...Think


***Update*** look at the feedback and the price...


FEEDBACK
FEEDBACK FROM BUYER/PRICE WHEN
Past month
Thanks again man!!! So Awesome!! Would definitely do business with again!!
silver surfer #3 8.5 🔥 Reprint Rare (#203281070969)
i***i (593)
US $23.50


If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes
,



Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

Thundercron
Monday, April 19, 2021 6:22:05 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 4,539 | Points: 63,554
Shop at My Store
pottersan wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
You think you got it bad? At least your search didn't result in you bidding over $350+ because of a bad item title. What's wrong with this picture? 😁😁

https://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-surfer-3-8-5-/203273382532?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

HOLY *@%>$!!!

Are you kidding me? How in the hell did that happen? Maybe I should start using the Fire Emoji in my eBay listings...Think


***Update*** look at the feedback and the price...


FEEDBACK
FEEDBACK FROM BUYER/PRICE WHEN
Past month
Thanks again man!!! So Awesome!! Would definitely do business with again!!
silver surfer #3 8.5 🔥 Reprint Rare (#203281070969)
i***i (593)
US $23.50


Yeah, I noticed later that the same book was relisted with "reprint" in the title.
bluedevil2002
Monday, April 19, 2021 10:01:17 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Joined: 7/19/2010 | Posts: 809 | Points: 8,069
I was searching for "buffy 26" on ebay, and every single time it kept asking me if I meant "huffy 26". No, fool!
Users browsing this topic
Guest

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.469 seconds.
(0.343 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. P-WIN-IIS02