Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » Football Talk -2021 Season
5 pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
monidaw1
Saturday, October 09, 2021 8:59:46 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Now it looks like Russel Wilson is out if the surgery recovery takes any longer than expected or at best just getting back the week they play the skins.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/seahawks_russell_wilson_already_had_finger_surgery_out_roughly_six_weeks/s1_13132_36089720?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20211009&mb_loc=right_h

Wasn't it just this Tuesday the negative junkie was absolutely certain the Seattle game was a guaranteed loss and Wilson was magical against us. Now it appears he may not even play and if he does it'll be just back from an injury and probably rusty or still feeling the after affects of the surgery.

Final injury report
Quote:
Wide receivers Cam Sims and Dyami Brown are out. Curtis Samuel is questionable. Washington needs Samuel to play, otherwise, it will only have three healthy receivers in Terry McLaurin, Adam Humphries and Dax Milne.
Brandon Scherff is out, Wes Schweitzer should start at right guard.
The good news for Washington is Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis and Deshazor Everett practiced in full and will play.
Daron Payne was a new addition to the injury report and is questionable.
Cole Holcomb and Antonio Gibson were both limited and are questionable. Washington needs both players on Sunday.

Now to see if they activate Gandy Golden to replace Cam Sims and if Superman gets to be active for the game.

monidaw1
Sunday, October 10, 2021 8:16:56 AM
I was right.

Gandy Golden is activated from the practice squad to replace Cam Sims for a big body receiver option. Now he has the chance to show he belongs on the regular roster.
monidaw1
Sunday, October 10, 2021 1:36:18 PM
What is wrong with Daron Payne???? Just fall on the ball!!!!! here he goes again scooping a ball up and trying to be a 300 pound highlite reel. At least this time he didn't mishandle it but make the smart play next time. He just did this in the preseason game and gave it up there.

Chase is getting pressure today so far. I'm not sure yet if that's a strip sack or just a strip.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, October 10, 2021 6:18:55 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Washington's Defense is absolutely horrible.

"On Paper" they should be the #1 D in the league but on the field they just suck. Can't stop anybody on 3rd down. Give up huge chunks of yardage routinely on a single play. They rush 3-4 guys leaving 7-8 guys in coverage and there is still always a receiver running wide open with no one within 15-20 yards. If the receivers are getting that open with 2/3rds of your defense in coverage why not just rush 8 guys? Sure there will be someone open but if the QB is running for his life does it matter? Plus dudes are going to be open anyway so why the hell not? Wall Angry

Howie's Quote of the Week

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. - Noam Chomsky

My eBay Store Hall Liquidations
monidaw1
Sunday, October 10, 2021 7:04:51 PM
I actually felt like the defense was noticeably better this week. The line and blitzers were getting pressure. There's still some communication problems in the back with people not being there to hand off receivers to leading to 3 or 4 wide open plays. It seems like Chase stopped his speed rush a number of times after 5 yards and switched to a power move towards the qb. Sweat didn't get home enough and seems to have lost the knack for batting balls this year. One play in particular looked like that play against Dallas last year but this time the ball sailed over him to a wide open receiver instead of getting swatted. I can't help feeling like Collins is part of the problem and like last year, if he'd get benched or moved to another position letting Curl take over there'd be an immediate improvement. They didn't get it right last year until Collins got hurt and I can't tell yet if that first touchdown was his fault for being late again or if he wasn't supposed to be there at all and it was the corners duty to stay tight.

The offense was impressive moving up and down the field at will. They just couldn't finish and some of that I think is just the inexperience of Heinicke. Growing pains while a young Brett Favre learns when to press a throw and when not to. Over 36 minutes time of possession and it could have been more without the mistakes.

Game ball should go to their punter. That's easily the best performance from a punter I've ever seen. Wasn't that 3 times pinned inside the 3? If he doesn't get special teams player of the week there is no justice.

I'm disappointed they didn't work in Gandy Golden or the Chilean Superman. That's two big bodies that could have been end zone targets. seals was trying but he doesn't appear to have that magic that Logan has or the speed to get open for uncontested attempts.

The O-Line was impressive again. Great run blocking and even with the rookie RT going down they really didn't miss a beat.

Interesting that they turned down a 53 yard field goal attempt. May be a little lack of faith in the kicker creeping in.

I really thought the offense would have scored more but overall the game was pretty much what I expected. D was better but has a long way to go in the safety, corner communication area. Offense looks better every week. They just need to bring some big bodies in when Mclauren is getting covered that well to make some alternative targets. He tried but that corner was too good to be beaten regularly by anything other than high speed lazers strikes to the perfect spot at the perfect time. that's not Heinicke's forte. He needs to move on to other targets that may be there or just take what he can get with his legs keeping opening up opportunities later. it still feels like he's trying a bit too hard to be a pocket passer at times when he should be beating feet.
monidaw1
Monday, October 11, 2021 8:50:24 AM
It's official now, I've turned the bathroom towels upside down which is the international sign for being in distress.

No more weekday 4 hour doses of negative Junkies. We'll try Modern Marvels and some other channels to fill the silence. They talked me out of picking Pittsburgh last week as well as Seattle with their Ben is done and only playing because the only other option is Haskins. It's time to focus on the good.

O-line is pretty good. Hopefully the rookie recovers.

Curtis Samuel either needs to be IR'd or played more. I can't expect miracle recoveries when all this time has already passed. He's apparently at best a 5 play a week guy unless he gets surgery or some magic fix he hasn't had advised for him to try so far. if he can't go, Carter seems to be more than up to the task and there's no reason the rookie running back can't pick up some of those jet sweeps. There are options.

Apparently 2 former linebackers as head coaches can't pick a 1st round draft pick at linebacker and coach him up enough to have him playing every snap so tanking for the draft pick at best means they make a stupid pick with it again so they might as well find a way to win this year.

KC's coming and apparently can't be stopped on offense and can't stop anybody on defense. Heinicke is definitely anybody so this looks like a track meet game coming up this weekend.

Now to hope Collins gets benched, hurt or moved to a different position so Curl can take over.

There is hope. Pray
MoonKnight1
Monday, October 11, 2021 9:35:41 PM
Shop at My Store
Jon Gruden is out as HC of the Raiders. Wow.

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. - Noam Chomsky

lcfrick
Monday, October 11, 2021 10:54:12 PM
Groups: Member
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Jon Gruden is out as HC of the Raiders. Wow.

Not who I would have guessed would be the first coach done this year. Heck, Urban Meyer may be the second, who I also would not have guessed.
bluedevil2002
Monday, October 11, 2021 11:13:38 PM
At first, I only heard the part of the story where Gruden made an ill-advised comment in an e-mail 10 years ago. I felt that any thought of firing him was just virtue signaling.

Then more started coming out, and it's a bunch of e-mails over a longer period of time. And it's all coming out because of the Redskins because they were sent to Bruce Allen. And yet they can't find any smoking guns to force Snyder out.
monidaw1
Tuesday, October 12, 2021 2:13:01 PM
If I don't see at least some attempts to swap personnel around and correct some defensive issues I can think of at least 1 more name that should be joining the unemployment line.

Bruce Allen is gone but one of the reasons I have NO interest in another team name is because you never know when a new owner is going to pack them up and move them elsewhere like all those teams bouncing around from California to Nevada. The Washington Tiddlywinks can quickly become the Tulsa Tiddlywinks but the WFT will always be the WFT. It's the NO NAME that says the NAME stays with the fans and the city that supported them.

That's kind of the point lately and in the Gruden case. What's acceptable thought and behavior is going to continually be reevaluated down the road and we're always going to be getting called out for what we thought or did a decade or more ago and what our ancestors may have done or not done. Take Governor Blackface. I doubt there's anyone on the planet that thinks he isn't in that picture. Own it upfront, apologize, claim to have learned from it and move on. He didn't so it lingers and remains a distraction. Gruden resigned, and what I take on it is he doesn't want to be a distraction for his team now. Good for him. Take the heat, go do whatever it takes to convince people you know you made a mistake and you've learned from it and are willing to make any amends necessary.

monidaw1
Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:01:11 PM
Looking for the silver lining.

The o line is one of the better o lines in football and the Chiefs have the 29th ranked run defense.

Sounds like maybe even Patterson is looking at a big day as well as the other two.

The D on paper is capable of being dominant but so far is fluttering and sputtering around. The line itself may be getting a little better game by game. Everyone behind them needs to get right but haven't shown it's likely and apparently we aren't going to let the rookie linebacker on the field much and then only in a position he's being forced into instead of the one he's played.

The organization is a complete train wreck this week from e-mail fiasco's to cramming a Sean Taylor number retirement down fans throats at a bad time. It seems to be split 50-50-100. 50% think other numbers are more deserving and should have gone first, 50% think he deserves it but the timing is bad including the people who could only order 10,000 commemorative towels or maybe they expect that few in attendance and 100% apparently think there's no chance having more e-mails opened publicly will end positively. Even the HC is coming out this week regretting winning the division last year due to the higher expectations it made this year, Boo Hoo!

The punter thinks he hasn't been kicking high enough and the field goal kickers been kicking like he is high.

This is going to make a great story to tell the grandkids when they turn this around and win it all this year!!!!! Cool

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 12:04:57 PM
Shop at My Store
Jeremy, could you please explain to me how the Titans can lose to the Jets but beat the Bills? Does not compute. Hypnotized Confused

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 1:07:46 PM
Shop at My Store
Can The Washington Football Team (Formerly Known as The Redskins) be any more inept, incompetent and dysfunctional? This dis-Organization cannot help but keep shooting themselves in the foot. I'm not even talking about the product on the field.

They retired the number of Sean Taylor this past weekend during the game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Sean was an iconic player who was beloved by fans and revered by current and former players for his ball playing skills and tenacity. He was tragically murdered in his own home while defending his wife and child from a home invasion.

The WFT announced the jersey retirement in the middle of last week, mere days before the ceremony was going to happen. It might look like they did this impromptu to try and deflect attention from the Jon Gruden e-mails and the fact that their strength and conditioning coach was just arrested by the DEA and team facilities were raided by the feds but they claim that this was planned months in advance. Apparently they wanted the number retirement ceremony to be a surprise or something? They say it wasn't trying to deflect attention from the bad news.

So one of two things happened here. They lied or they are incompetent. Either way, it's embarrassing.

#1 - Washington has the WORST attendance in the league. Dead last. Jacksonville, Houston, Detroit - all have more fans showing up to games. The London games draw more spectators than Washington. Don't you think that if you announced this a couple of weeks or a month before then you might actually sell out the stadium? Or at least have more Redskins fans in the place than fans of the opposing team, which is the norm?

#2 - Washington plays a Monday Night game against the Seahawks at FedEx Field on the 29th of November which is two days after the anniversary of his murder. Don't you think that might have been a better time to do this? Monday Night, Prime Time, the whole country watching?

#3 - They renamed a road leading to the stadium "Sean Taylor RD). Good for them! The ceremony for that took place in front of a row of Porta-Potties. Sick

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dan Snyder please, I'm begging you - GO AWAY!!!! Angry Wall Shame on You

jbeeman85
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 2:49:10 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Jeremy, could you please explain to me how the Titans can lose to the Jets but beat the Bills? Does not compute. Hypnotized Confused

Beats me. I guess they play to the competition ?
That was a stressful game, probably fun if you didn't have a rooting interest.
monidaw1
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 4:19:58 PM
I still haven't seen the 4th quarter yet to figure out how/what happened. I don't understand what happened to Heinicke. He had zero rushes. I don't know if the coaches grounded him from running or if he took it on himself to stay in the pocket but he took the best aspect of his game away and left points on the table all game long one of the Washington sights has a good breakdown of some of the times he pressed the deep ball when Mckissic was open coming across the middle and when he could have taken off but stayed in to make a bad pass. The O-Line was amazing considering the right side was the back-ups. The D thru 3 quarters had them in the game for once this year. Hopefully tonight I can watch the 4th quarter and figure out where it went downhill rapidly.

There's one of those murder investigation shows out there I saw that reexamined the Sean Taylor murder and the retirement should have been done for a larger audience if for no other reason than as a caution tale. He should have been with the team that weekend and not at home. He shouldn't have been giving relatives birthday gifts of stacks of cash in front of strangers. He chose to live big and let some questionable people into his home that came back later thinking he'd be away at the game if I understand the story. It's a story that deserves a little national spotlight like a Monday night game every so often to remind the kids NOT to flaunt it if they get it.

Hopefully they can come up with a better tribute in time for the Monday night game.

I don't know if Fitz can be back in time to salvage the season but if Heinicke isn't going to play the way he's capable of for whatever the reason is it's a coin toss on pulling for the tank and the higher draft pick or seeing if Fitz can work some late season magic. They still have the rookie linebacker out of position but at least he got on the field more this week and maybe they can continue to correct a little more each week. So far there's pretty much nothing that was advertised to be expected this year to be seen from Curtis Samuel, Fitz, top ranked D, rookie of the year candidates at linebacker. This isn't what was advertised and so far it hasn't been fun to sit thru if Heinicke isn't using his legs.
monidaw1
Wednesday, October 20, 2021 11:44:57 AM
Now the kickers gone. https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/10/20/22736440/washington-roster-moves-dustin-hopkins-released-chris-blewitt-signed-from-practice-squad

I'm on the fence on this one. It doesn't sound like the replacement is an actual improvement. Looks like a stop gap until next years draft at best.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, October 20, 2021 12:00:25 PM
Shop at My Store
Don't know if I like having a Kicker named "Blewitt". Nailbiting

bluedevil2002
Wednesday, October 20, 2021 10:44:40 PM
Dammit, I knew I recognized that name. Freaking Pitt...
MoonKnight1
Thursday, October 21, 2021 10:52:02 AM
Shop at My Store
Hey, I don't care. This is just funny!

Football Press Conference Cold Open - SNL

monidaw1
Saturday, October 23, 2021 2:12:41 PM
I found someone having a worse season than the skins d-linemen.

6 games, 1 tackle

The grass is only greener on that side of the fence when you're on THIS side of the fence and most of that is reflection from the jerseys.