Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Please Grade My Book » please grade my book
bovard
Friday, July 20, 2012 4:36:29 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
KOLLECTOR71 wrote:
Would you be happy if you ordered a NM book and got this?

Inside is great, back is ok - just the top and bottom corner creases have me wondering?

I'm thinking VF- Think


Definately not NM. Some might call it VF-, but even that might be a stretch, I would probably say FN/VF.

Did you ask for a return, or partial refund?
KOLLECTOR71
Friday, July 20, 2012 6:35:26 PM
Rank: Supporting Cast
Groups: Member
Location: East Texas
Joined: 1/15/2007 | Posts: 29 | Points: 452
Thanks guys,

The staples are not rusty, they just have a shadow in the pic, from a slight indention.

And yes I am going to ask for a partial refund or to send the book back.

I can forgive a grade up or down, but that is just way off the mark. I just wanted another opinion before I contacted him. And by the way it wasn't a CCL seller it was from that other place.

Thanks again.
Sam
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
frozilla
Friday, July 20, 2012 8:35:31 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
While we're at it, let me submit one:

(Btw don't worry about the rest of the book, it's -acceptable- but these pics show the key points)





Was graded as 'VF'...

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
bovard
Friday, July 20, 2012 8:39:01 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
frozilla wrote:
While we're at it, let me submit one:

(Btw don't worry about the rest of the book, it's -acceptable- but these pics show the key points)





Was graded as 'VF'...


Can you post one more pic of the overall? It's good to see the individual aspects, but the overall would be helpful too.
frozilla
Friday, July 20, 2012 9:02:04 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
bovard wrote:
frozilla wrote:

Was graded as 'VF'...


Can you post one more pic of the overall? It's good to see the individual aspects, but the overall would be helpful too.





Not sure if you can make out the indentations on both front and back, near the bottom of those pages.

Edit: Crap. The front got cut off at the bottom.
Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
bovard
Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:26:13 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
frozilla wrote:
bovard wrote:
frozilla wrote:

Was graded as 'VF'...


Can you post one more pic of the overall? It's good to see the individual aspects, but the overall would be helpful too.





Not sure if you can make out the indentations on both front and back, near the bottom of those pages.

Edit: Crap. The front got cut off at the bottom.

This is kind of a tough one from the photos. But, given the very minor spine curve, few spine creases, and the slightly overhung cover, I think that puts you at FN/VF. But, when you look at the overall book, it looks pretty nice. Depending on how severe the indentations are, then it could drop you down to FN. But, it's hard to say without the book in hand. Dents and waviness are one of the hardest things to judge from pics, so it's really dificult to say...
frozilla
Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:14:24 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
bovard wrote:

This is kind of a tough one from the photos. But, given the very minor spine curve, few spine creases, and the slightly overhung cover, I think that puts you at FN/VF. But, when you look at the overall book, it looks pretty nice. Depending on how severe the indentations are, then it could drop you down to FN. But, it's hard to say without the book in hand. Dents and waviness are one of the hardest things to judge from pics, so it's really dificult to say...


To me, I thought it was quite a major spine roll. I figure there's worse out there but I can't recall anything remotely recently I've seen that bad (as far as the roll itself) - the actual left end of the book sits up 1/4-3/8" off the table when I sit it down. Perhaps the pictures are a bit deceiving as they're really close.

Anyhow, I bought it was VF, I'd guess it's F. Oh well, it wasn't that expensive. I'm working (slowly) on completing that ASM group and don't want to put it in my collection as F - would've taken VF.

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
bovard
Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:02:12 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
frozilla wrote:
bovard wrote:

This is kind of a tough one from the photos. But, given the very minor spine curve, few spine creases, and the slightly overhung cover, I think that puts you at FN/VF. But, when you look at the overall book, it looks pretty nice. Depending on how severe the indentations are, then it could drop you down to FN. But, it's hard to say without the book in hand. Dents and waviness are one of the hardest things to judge from pics, so it's really dificult to say...


To me, I thought it was quite a major spine roll. I figure there's worse out there but I can't recall anything remotely recently I've seen that bad (as far as the roll itself) - the actual left end of the book sits up 1/4-3/8" off the table when I sit it down. Perhaps the pictures are a bit deceiving as they're really close.

Anyhow, I bought it was VF, I'd guess it's F. Oh well, it wasn't that expensive. I'm working (slowly) on completing that ASM group and don't want to put it in my collection as F - would've taken VF.


From the pic it looks like a minor roll, but that's sort of beside the point, as even a minor roll drops below VF, and then you add the few creases, etc. You have the book in hand, so you would be able to judge the severity of the roll best.

You could buy this one, if you're looking to complete a High Grade run.



PM me if interested. I'm actually running a pretty good sale as well, and I'm always open to offers.
frozilla
Monday, July 23, 2012 8:59:56 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
Thanks Bovard. I may look more into what you have and see if we can make a package deal.

For the time being, I'll submit a two-fer for the public's opinion:

Subject A:
º
º




and Subject B:
º
º





Input welcomed. I'm just trying to tune my own grade-meter by public consensus. I think I may be being a bit too harsh on grading, but we'll see.
Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
frozilla
Friday, July 27, 2012 9:11:16 AM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
^bump for please :)
Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
bovard
Friday, July 27, 2012 11:08:25 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
I'm thinking VG/FN, or FN, on both the Flash and Iron Man. I've been scratching my head on these, because at first glance they look higher, but with the Flash there is the page toning that can be seen around the edge of the book, and trying to decide exactly how much that affects the grade is tough. The Iron Man also looks nice, and then you start to notice the few lines here and there that move inwards on the cover (upper right), and the lower right corner crease. Books in FN condition usually will have some wear around the spine and edges. A case could be made for that grade as well. If they were my books I would probably grade them VG/FN.

I would like to hear some other opinions on these grades as well, but sometimes the Grade my Book section seems like a ghost town. But, hopefully a few more will chime in.

Thundercron
Friday, July 27, 2012 11:26:01 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Redland, Oregon
Joined: 9/14/2008 | Posts: 3,347 | Points: 38,986
Shop at My Store
I would agree that VG/FN sounds right for the Iron Man due to the bad business going on at the lower corner on the front cover. I think the Flash is much nicer, with the main defects being along the spine. I don't think the page tone is too terrible, but it's hard to tell about the spine creasing from a scan.
CrossbowComics
Friday, July 27, 2012 4:22:04 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: look up
Joined: 10/14/2008 | Posts: 1,122 | Points: 3,560
I don't see anything that by definition pushes either book below FN, there's enough general wear I'd probably lean toward lower FN or 5.5. The Flash looks like it might have some spotty tanning on the inside edges of the cover which I'd take a bit off for.




On Facebook - Treehouse Comic Shop
On the web -- TreehouseComicShop.com
frozilla
Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:27:19 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
I figured as much. The Iron Man was advertised as VF/NM. The Flash was advertised as F/VF. And today, I received 3 comics, advertised as VF+ and the are AT BEST *F*, with me thinking more like VG/F.

I am really REALLY getting fed up with these sellers way overgrading their comics then pleading ignorance when they're confronted with them. TBH I contacted the Iron Man seller and he has offered a form of 'discount'. That's good but really when I buy a book at a certain grade, I'd like to get what I'm buying instead of having to contact them back and haggle for some recompense.
Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
CrossbowComics
Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:17:54 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: look up
Joined: 10/14/2008 | Posts: 1,122 | Points: 3,560
Well the IM gets dropped to 6.5 just based on the creasing alone, a 1 inch crease is acceptable in FVF but not several. Either the seller didn't look at it or made no effort to grade it. FVF is not unreasonable on the Flash but there's at least one small stain & not disclosing it on a book over FN is playing with fire a bit. The crease with a couple small tears on the top edge is a little much for FVF too. Beyond that I'd need to see the inside edges of the cover, sometimes it gets a bit spotty & ugly when you can see some browning around the edges like that.

I noticed you don't have any feedbacks from Treehouse, someday you should stop in. The only turn-off for most people is that I don't offer free shipping.




On Facebook - Treehouse Comic Shop
On the web -- TreehouseComicShop.com
Tamwood
Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:24:29 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber
Location: Indiana
Joined: 11/13/2009 | Posts: 1,950 | Points: 201,452
I would give both books Solid FINE grades. MAYBE a FINE-, but to me, that's pushing it.
bovard
Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:50:38 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
CrossbowComics wrote:
Well the IM gets dropped to 6.5 just based on the creasing alone, a 1 inch crease is acceptable in FVF but not several. Either the seller didn't look at it or made no effort to grade it. FVF is not unreasonable on the Flash but there's at least one small stain & not disclosing it on a book over FN is playing with fire a bit. The crease with a couple small tears on the top edge is a little much for FVF too. Beyond that I'd need to see the inside edges of the cover, sometimes it gets a bit spotty & ugly when you can see some browning around the edges like that.

I noticed you don't have any feedbacks from Treehouse, someday you should stop in. The only turn-off for most people is that I don't offer free shipping.


Yep! Or the Comic Book Stop. Doug is one of the most strict graders out there, I would also throw The Pack Rats Barn (LadyJay) in the mix, as having very strict grading. And, I consider myself to be pretty tight on grading as well.

It's one thing to see a difference of a point or two on a grade, and of course we all can make mistakes from time to time, or just miss something. But when you see someone claiming VF/NM on a FN at best book, that's pretty bad.

There are lots of other sellers on CCL who have really good grading skills, the two I mentioned above are just a few of the best, imo.
bovard
Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:55:19 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Earth
Joined: 6/18/2007 | Posts: 2,795 | Points: 26,106
Shop at My Store
So what do you guys think on my ASM #199?
CrossbowComics
Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:59:25 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: look up
Joined: 10/14/2008 | Posts: 1,122 | Points: 3,560
Thankyou Miles!




On Facebook - Treehouse Comic Shop
On the web -- TreehouseComicShop.com
frozilla
Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:35:25 PM
Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member
Joined: 11/30/2011 | Posts: 360 | Points: 1,093
Thanks for the responses guys! That's my contention Miles - that if I buy something graded VF/NM, I can understand getting a VF book but not F or ever worse. An offer for a percent refund is alright, but just grade it correctly. I think some may be intentionally grading a grade or two high on certain books so people buy them and even if they give them a partial refund they got to sell a low-graded book they'd normally never sell.

As far as your ASM 199, I can go by what I can see and it looks to me VF/NM. I'd probably have to see it at certain angels and closer to go above that.
Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
56 pages: First ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.351 seconds.
(0.194 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241