Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
NEW MUTANTS 1st DEADPOOL.... Options
Coops
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 11:25:54 PM
Groups: Member

Hi everyone. I've just recently gotten back into collecting and one of the books I've been into has been deadpool.
I really want to pick up the New Mutants issue with the first appearance of Deadpool. I'm looking at a CGC 9.8 rated one and was wondering what you guys think it's worth and also the potential for the future. I've seen them from $125 to $350. What price would you guys say would be a good buy for what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Rich
giantroboticdragon
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 11:31:00 PM

Coops wrote:
Hi everyone. I've just recently gotten back into collecting and one of the books I've been into has been deadpool.
I really want to pick up the New Mutants issue with the first appearance of Deadpool. I'm looking at a CGC 9.8 rated one and was wondering what you guys think it's worth and also the potential for the future. I've seen them from $125 to $350. What price would you guys say would be a good buy for what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Rich

The old adage applies, a book is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. That being said, if you want this book, you should buy in sooner than later. A Deadpool movie is in the works, and once it comes out, the price will go up in past trends are any indication.

I don't deal in CCG books so I can't say if $125 is fair, but I would pay $125 before I paid $350. My advice is if you really want if and have the cash to throw down, buy it, but look for the best price you can.
Coops
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 11:47:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I don't want to wait and then look back at what I missed out on like so many times in the past. The ones in the $125 range tend to be 9.4-9.6 so I guess I'll decide if it's worth the money for a 9.8. I figure since I'm looking to just put it aside for a while, might as well go for the best condition I can find.
Locutusatwolf359
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:32:01 AM

Coops wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I don't want to wait and then look back at what I missed out on like so many times in the past. The ones in the $125 range tend to be 9.4-9.6 so I guess I'll decide if it's worth the money for a 9.8. I figure since I'm looking to just put it aside for a while, might as well go for the best condition I can find.

I really hate CGC comics. I buy my comics to read them. If you can't read them what's the point? That's why I'll buy lower grade comics, just to read them. Otherwise, it's just like buying a variant cover (another thing I hate in modern comic collecting) because it's the same story, just a different cover. To me, a CGC comic is JUST a cover.

That being said, if you're going JUST for the investment I'd get the 9.8. I was going to buy a GI Joe 155 in a 9.4 to just break the case open and read it. I can't remember how high it went (this was ebay). In the end I bought one from the UK. Out of the USA comics shipped here are almost always cheaper because no one wants to bid since they don't want to wait. Sucky thing is I'm STILL waiting on an Amazing Spidey #238 (first Hobgoblin) from Canada that only cost $1 but appears to have been lost in the mail.

Maybe you can have some luck buying one outside the USA and get a cheaper price? I don't know. Good luck!

Keep reading comic "books" and NOT digi comics, because PAPER RULES!
ebcomix
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:50:25 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I would expect a slabbed NM #98 in 9.8 grade to be $200 or more

Dave H
4saken1
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 9:57:50 AM

Shop at My Store

Are you buting them online, or in person? If you aren't actually going to see it before you buy it, there's certain precautions you should take. Among them is this - If given the option, don't buy your CGC 9.8 from a seller who has a ton of CGC comics listed for sale. The reason I say this is that I've heard from sources here that CGC tends to grade books more favorably from customers who do a lot of business with them.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 12:23:49 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a NM copy and get it slabbed yourself?

I bought a NM copy of New Mutants 98 for $40 a year ago. How much does it cost to get them slabbed?

bovard
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 1:27:55 PM

Shop at My Store

If you're looking at this book strictly for investment purposes, I would say, don't.

Right now the character is hot, so the prices are probably near the top of what they will reach. It's not a rare book, so more and more people will be sending their NM copies to CGC for grading. Over the course of the next few years, 9.8 copies will become more abundant, and the prices will level off, or start to come down. Then, after the movie (if there ever is one) things will calm down even more.

But, if you really like the character, and can afford it, go for it. But, if you're just looking for investment, it might not be the best route.

Just my two cents, who know's, maybe in a few years 9.8's will be selling for $500?

Btw, I sold my NM copy to another CCL member for about $30. It was probably in the 9.4/9.6 range.

Coops
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:51:46 PM

Yeah, I was actually going to buy one cheap version to read and one CGC. Been looking online and in shops around me. I want to buy about 1 cgc every 3 or 4 months just to put aside. I'm actually on the fence now of whether to get this one or go with a 9.6 Astonishing Tales #25 with first appearance of Deathlok that I found. I think this may have more potential as an investment.
thomas4d4
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 11:43:51 AM

There is some good advise here.
I don't think buying a slabbed New Mutants #98 is a good investment. Bovard Has some god points. also if money is an issue for you, ShenValleyInitiative made a very good point.

I think 70's books are a very good investment right now. For the last 5 years or so I have been watching the early 70's books climb in value. Now things are starting to peek for those books and the late 70's books are starting to climb. For example, 5 years ago Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76 was listed at $400, now I see it listed at $1000!

I think now is a great time to buy Astonishing Tales #25 or any late 70's book. You also might want to consider buying early 80's books because if this trend continues, in another 5 years those books will start to climb.

One thing I'm really curious about is how the plethora of nice condition 80's books will affect this trend, but judging by the high prices for books like Spidy #300, considering it came out at a time when there was a large educated audience bagging and boarding them, I suspect quantity won't be as much of a factor as some think.

Come check out the new story line in
The BRILLIANT BELLA
as BELLA meets the legendary GOLEM and finds herself with
"FEET OF CLAY".
Written by Thomas Morrison and drawn by Tiina Birgitta Räisänen.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:26:52 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

I could never bring myself to sell any of my comic books unless I had to. I guess this is why I never got "the point" of CGC.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 6:44:11 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My rule of thumb is NEVER buy a CGC book unless it's 1) A STEAL or B) resellable at the same price you paid for it.

I believe New Mutants #98 to be a VERY volatile book currently because people are nuts for Deadpool appearances. I sold a VERY nice ungraded copy on CCL for $50 a while back. Then again I bought a copy in my local comic shop dollar bin about 6 months ago.

I agree with everyone else. If you're going to pay upwards of $150 for a copy, I'd own 3 gorgeous ungraded copies that COULD grade high instead of putting all that cabbage into one 9.8 CGC that you're basically paying OVER market value for.

Besides, I'm almost positive that heaven forbid something should happen like it gets lost in a fire that insurance companies can only provide you with market value of the book, not speculation price.