Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel Stamp = Value lost? Options
Helveck
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:59:11 PM
Groups: Member

Hi there everyone.

I'm evidently new and am hoping that this would be an appropriate place to ask my question.

I recently purchased Hulk 180 in a what I believe is a very good condition. It could be higher, could be lower. But the seller (not here) omitted in the description, the fact that the marvel stamp had neatly been removed. Now mind you I should have asked, but I neglected to.

So here I am, a collector after only a few particular comics, with one more in hand and one more left to go. My collection is based around the "two" first issues of "Wolverine", his first appearance in 180, and then his first "full" comic in 181. The 181 is the last one I have yet to obtain.

Now my concern isn't that big. I want the comic for its significance in comic book history. And I have it... But down the road, several decades from now, if ever I want to sell it for whatever reason, I'm curious to know if not having the marvel stamp is a super massive hit to its value?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:04:17 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Do you mean a section of the cover where the Marvel Logo is at is actually cut out of the cover? If that's the case, then yeah, it's gonna devalue the book a bit.

Or do you mean it looks as if it was printed without the logo? If that's the case, it's probably just a printing variant and I'd do a little research to see if it's an original print or reprint. If it is a variant original print it'll be okay, if it is a reprint, then it's probably only worth a few dollars.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
chiller67
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:14:25 PM

Yeah, if a piece has been removed from the cover that will significantly decrease it's value regardless of how neatly it was removed. It should have been declared prior to sale in my opinion. Though it may have been reflected in the selling price.
The fact that it was neatly removed suggests this has been done deliberately. Wow man. What a comic to choose to deface. And what a random thing to remove.
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:23:50 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

I know what he is referring to. At that time Marvel put a stamp called a marvel Value Stamp in all their non-reprint books. It was just a stamp sized section of the ad pages with a different character pictured. There were a total of 100 stamps and you were supposed to try to find them all, cut them out, and trade them in for various prizes or discounts. I don't think any of us would do that today, but back then many did. Any time you're buying a Hulk 180 - 182 or Amazing Spider-man 129 you should check to make sure the stamp is still there. It's removal doesn't effect any story pages or the cover but it's the same as having a coupon cut out. It lowers the value of the book about the same. If the book in question is only a VG the stamp being out might lower the value by about 25%. if the book is a GD or lower it won't do much to the value at all, perhaps a 10% drop. Obviously on a high grade copy something like this can cause a major drop in price. I know of dealers that have bought high grade copies with the stamp out and low grade copies with the stamp present, then swapped out the pages to make a complete high grade copy worth much more than they paid. Something to be made aware of, especially if buying in person. When buying in person you have the opportunity to inspect the book before purchase. If you don't you have no recourse. When buying through the mail the buyer should have mentioned it in his ad.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:24:54 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

What do you mean by the Marvel Stamp? Do you mean the CCA stamp or the full blue bar header?

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:25:27 PM

comicscastle wrote:
I know what he is referring to. At that time Marvel put a stamp called a marvel Value Stamp in all their non-reprint books. It was just a stamp sized section of the ad pages with a different character pictured. There were a total of 100 stamps and you were supposed to try to find them all, cut them out, and trade them in for various prizes or discounts. I don't think any of us would do that today, but back then many did. Any time you're buying a Hulk 180 - 182 or Amazing Spider-man 129 you should check to make sure the stamp is still there. It's removal doesn't effect any story pages but it's the same as having a coupon cut out. It lowers the value of the book about the same. If the book in question is only a VG the stamp being out might lower the value by about 25%. if the book is a GD or lower it won't do much to the value at all, perhaps a 10% drop. Obviously on a high grade copy something like this can cause a major drop in price. I know of dealers that have bought high grade copies with the stamp out and low grade copies with the stamp present, then swapped out the pages to make a complete high grade copy worth much more than they paid. Something to be made aware of, especially if buying in person. When buying in person you have the opportunity to inspect the book before purchase. If you don't you have no recourse. When buying through the mail the buyer should have mentioned it in his ad.

Ah... ok then... disregard my previous post, lol.

I could see this as a great opportunity to get screwed over by CGC.

Remind me never to buy a slabbed copy of Incredible Hulk 180-182 or ASM 129, lol.

I haz a Blog
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:37:41 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Here's a link that can give you all the information you'll need on the stamps:
http://www.mvstamps.com/introduction.htm

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.

chiller67
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:47:10 PM

I recently purchased Justice League of America(1960) #9 that had the "Cap's Hobby hints"(remember them?) removed. It didn't affect the story and was also neatly removed. Otherwise it was in very good condition. Cost? £4, or around $6.50.
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:51:14 PM

Shop at My Store

chiller67 wrote:
I recently purchased Justice League of America(1960) #9 that had the "Cap's Hobby hints"(remember them?) removed. It didn't affect the story and was also neatly removed. Otherwise it was in very good condition. Cost? £4, or around $6.50.
Can't go wrong at that price. A classic SA origin issue.

comicnutz
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:52:27 PM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
I know what he is referring to. At that time Marvel put a stamp called a marvel Value Stamp in all their non-reprint books. It was just a stamp sized section of the ad pages with a different character pictured. There were a total of 100 stamps and you were supposed to try to find them all, cut them out, and trade them in for various prizes or discounts. I don't think any of us would do that today, but back then many did. Any time you're buying a Hulk 180 - 182 or Amazing Spider-man 129 you should check to make sure the stamp is still there. It's removal doesn't effect any story pages but it's the same as having a coupon cut out. It lowers the value of the book about the same. If the book in question is only a VG the stamp being out might lower the value by about 25%. if the book is a GD or lower it won't do much to the value at all, perhaps a 10% drop. Obviously on a high grade copy something like this can cause a major drop in price. I know of dealers that have bought high grade copies with the stamp out and low grade copies with the stamp present, then swapped out the pages to make a complete high grade copy worth much more than they paid. Something to be made aware of, especially if buying in person. When buying in person you have the opportunity to inspect the book before purchase. If you don't you have no recourse. When buying through the mail the buyer should have mentioned it in his ad.

Ah... ok then... disregard my previous post, lol.

I could see this as a great opportunity to get screwed over by CGC.

Remind me never to buy a slabbed copy of Incredible Hulk 180-182 or ASM 129, lol.

Although I can't verify this by personal inspection or experience, I strongly suspect CGC would include this in their inspection process and may even note the stamp is missing (if not found) in the grading notes on the label. So I actually think you are more likely to get screwed over by other online sellers - not CGC. Make sure you confirm it is there, if you send it in for grading though or you may get a significantly lower grade than expected on one of these books.
chiller67
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:59:40 PM

comicscastle wrote:
chiller67 wrote:
Can't go wrong at that price. A classic SA origin issue.

Too right! I nearly bit his hand off! I bought a total of £39 worth of comics from him that day. His "deal" price was £30. So, you could even argue it was free! In fairness, I have seen an issue matching mine exactly - VG with coupon cut out - as high as £35.
Helveck
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:11:32 PM

Wow thanks for all the hasty replies!

And I should have clarified, the marvel value stamp is what is missing. The little stamp inside the coupon page is what I was inquiring about.

The book itself is in great condition otherwise, the pages are lightly tanned, color is great in the ink though, and the cover is near perfect with the odd blemish.

I'm just kind of peeved the seller decided to purposely neglect to include this in his description. :\ But otherwise I'm happy with the comic.

And the part that matters most in terms of sentimental value is the last page. Which is awesome.
thomas4d4
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:15:05 PM

If that happened to me I would definitely have issues with the seller! It's not honest to neglect mentioning this on a high price item. On a low price item it's understandable because a seller may not be able to go through all of his books but when you are spending 10 or more dollars on a book you expect the description to be accurate.
If I were you I would find an coverless copy and switch out the pages like CC said. I've actually done this with comics of this era.

The Great Comic Book Heroes
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:33:17 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

While I do not know the seller or his reputation, it could be that the seller simply did not know about the Marvel Value Stamps, and missed the cut-out. It can be difficult to catch those missing stamps. And ... look how many people here did not know what a Marvel Value Stamp was.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:42:59 PM

comicnutz wrote:

Although I can't verify this by personal inspection or experience, I strongly suspect CGC would include this in their inspection process and may even note the stamp is missing (if not found) in the grading notes on the label. So I actually think you are more likely to get screwed over by other online sellers - not CGC. Make sure you confirm it is there, if you send it in for grading though or you may get a significantly lower grade than expected on one of these books.

Sorry, I don't trust CGC and wouldn't put it past them (a CGC employee) to swap the copy you sent in with one of their own that has the stamp missing.

I would actually never buy a CGC (or any slabbed) Comic Book anywa, but that's for another thread, lol.

I haz a Blog
marvelmaniac6169
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:39:34 PM

Surprise,Surprise
I knew nothing of the Marvel Value Stamps either so I had to look.

Incredible Hulk 180

Incredible Hulk 181

Incredible Hulk 182

thomas4d4
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:14:52 PM

marvelmaniac6169 wrote:
Surprise,Surprise

Incredible Hulk 180

ARE YOU MISSING THE VALUE STAMPS IN 180 AS WELL!!!Ooh
I guess it's value stamp is popular!

The Great Comic Book Heroes
marvelmaniac6169
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:03:46 AM

thomas4d4 wrote:
marvelmaniac6169 wrote:
Surprise,Surprise

Incredible Hulk 180

YUP, 180 is missing and 181,182 are still there.
Were they in all the books from that time period?
If so what ASM,DD,FF,Thor,X-Men issues were out at that time when Incredible hulk 180 was released?
(I am too lazy to dig out all the boxes and look,LOL!!!)

comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:11:19 AM

Shop at My Store

marvelmaniac6169 wrote:
thomas4d4 wrote:
marvelmaniac6169 wrote:
Surprise,Surprise

Incredible Hulk 180

YUP, 180 is missing and 181,182 are still there.
Were they in all the books from that time period?
If so what ASM,DD,FF,Thor,X-Men issues were out at that time when Incredible hulk 180 was released?
(I am too lazy to dig out all the boxes and look,LOL!!!)
Here's a link to all the stamps from set one. It lists all the titles and issues.
http://www.mvstamps.com/issues.htm

gtb138
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:51:23 AM

Wow, learn something new everyday! I've been collecting for over 20 years and never new about that. Well, at least I don't remember hearing that! I may have heard about it and then completely forgotten. Silly

That would really irk me, if I spent a large sum of money on a book and found 1/4 of a page was missing!!