Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Confessions of a comicaholic Options
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 4:32:25 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Ok....

So I had a very tiring weekend. Not bad, just tiring.

It involved about 20 hours worth of driving without my wife,but with my two kids.....honor flight...communion....familial drama...and god cookies (Don't ask).

Anyways, I took off work early today and did something I almost never have a chance to do.......leisurely brick and mortar store comic shopping, you know--as a very irresponsible pat on my own back for a job well done, as both dad, grandson and son and brother and uncle this past weekend.

I took twenty bucks my grandma somehow snuck into my back pocket yesterday (seriously. She's 80. I don't know how she did it without me noticing.) and decided I was going to scour the 25 cent boxes at one of my favorite LCS'----Vortex Comics here in Milwaukee.

I took my full want list and dug in. Vortex has 10 or so quarter boxes so I figured I'd hit on at least a coupla things.

Well, I didn't. I did pick up about 4 bucks worth of multiples at least (which i do on occasion if the price is excellent). Then went into the regular back isue boxes to find at least something.
Got a nice Avengers #254 I had been wanting to fill in my collection a tad. It's the end of the "Vision's Taking over" storyline from the mid 80's. Decent read. Hercules is written perfectly during this era.

At any rate, the owner of Vortex is a great guy. I have spent tons of money there over the course of the past 15-20 years. He always gives me a great deal and treats my kids well.
Anyways, he gave me all the 25 centers for free. I only had to pay for the Avengers.

I went home, put the 25 cent multiples( some Adventurers, robotix, timespirits, electric warrior, alien legion)into my "to be filed" pile and read the Avengers.

Happy comic day.

Now, I am considering buying the entire 12 issue lot of Amethyst (1983) from Alpha Comics right here on the CCL. to top off my day and knock a whole series off my list. (I have 1-4 already, so that'd mean a few more multiples at a great price. YAY!)
Also, eagerly awaiting the arrival of something more special I bought recently. Dissapointed it isn't here yet.
I'll fill you in if you want
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:09:23 AM

I didn't make that purchase with alphacomics last night....but I'm gonna today. In fact, I'm going to make a larger one to get the free shipping. He has a lot of stuff on my want list.

I did read Elfquest #13 and Elvira's House of Mystery #6 from my chronological reading craziness stacks.

I took the time to do this after my wife fell asleep. I hadn't seen her all weekend so I wasn't going to take time away from us to read comics...so I waited. I usually stay up later than her.

Elfquest is an amazing series. I understand it is reprinted from some other source. i have to track that source down. But, this Marvel series is really enjoyable. I recommend it.

Elvira's House of Mystery was a weird sideways issue. You had to hold the comic sideways to read it. It was poorly executed. All the art became tiny and confusing to follow. I don't like holding my comics that way anyway, and all the stories were pat and cliche. booh. Elvira.

These comics are now in my "to be filed" pile.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:31:44 AM

FYI-----I am looking for a PGX copy of this:

Maximum Security: Thor Versus Ego

Of course I only want a high grade (9.8 thereabouts).

I am guessing this is going to be nearly impossible to find, so I am posting it here now way in advance.

I just read this issue recently in my Chronological reading craziness because I unearthed a bunch of reprints I didnt know were reprints and had to read them as the stories fell BEFORE where I currently am chronologically (August 1986).

I have a ton of Marvel reprints and want this one encapsulated. I thought it would be fun to get it encapsulated by the lesser of the two guarantee companies since it's a reprint.

Anyways..anyone have a line on this item, I would be very appreciative.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:28:07 PM

Fabulous.

OK. Spent more than I wanted. Here's my order:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/MyAccount/MyPurchasesDetail.aspx?SaleID=b99ad2cc-7431-493a-9c05-743c22e269a3

But picked up full runs of Vision and Scarlet Witch Vol.2 and Amethyst Princess of gemworld vol.1 (plus really cheap multiples in both series), add pieces to growing runs of both batman and uncanny X-men, pick up a copy of Blue Beetle #2 (which joins what for some reason is a collection of low grade books....my Blue Beetle collection that is).

Plus..the piece de resistance....Tomb of Dracula #12!!!!!!!

Stoked.

Alpha usually ships pretty quick so I am excited. Mike over at CCL's own Alphacomics is a class act. He's like my buddy at Vortex Comics here in Milwaukee. Definitely a preferred seller and I am always happy when i can send some business his way.

Also sent a followup email today to bluegrasscomics right here on CCL again. I purchased an Amazing Spider man #270 12 days ago and havent gotten it yet.Not super late...but he's a new seller for me, so i'm trying to keep in touch
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:23:26 PM

With my recent Amethyst and Vision/Scarlet Witch pickups This is now #1 on my want list...and it's a doozy.

Animal Crackers #31

Green publishing Company circa 1959

Anyone have a line on this one let me know. It is my new top priority. I will buy immediately. I have no requirements for grade. I'll just be happy to get my hands on one.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:28:39 AM

OK. It was my daughters pre-school graduation last night.....I know. Pre-school graduation....

Anyways, they sang some songs. We ate some cookies. Super cute. Late, my wife and I had a glass of wine and began watching the full run of Big Bang Theory, starting with episode 1. We have very little in common as far as TV and movies and music and stuff goes....but Big Bang theory is one of them.

Between the graduation and Big Bang, my wife had to make a blanket for Addison's teachers. While she was doing that I read Eternals. Vol.2 #11 from my chronological stacks.

This series is OK. It's just that, there's no real peril. The Deviants are not a threat. The Eternals sneak around a lot, then, when actually in combat with Deviants...one Eternal seems to be able to defeat countless Deviants with ease.

Ah well. Onto the "to be filed" pile.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:31:59 PM

I have three orders that I am starting to worry about. One is from right here on CCL. One is from Ebay and one is from Quality comix.

Of the three only quality is a source I have bought from before....so, I have a little anxiety.

At any rate...I'll keep you posted. I am waiting for the aforementioned Spidey....a First Comics American Flagg lot and...well, I'll show you when I get it. It's so cool!

Today, while waiting for my son to get out of Dance class (I had an hour to kill). I made a trade in my fantasy football league(I know it's early but I'm in a dynasty league) and read this baby from my chronological stack.

Gorgeous cover. The interior art doesn't hold up though. The story is pretty low key, but deep for a Firestorm. There are some tied up plot threads and Ronnie's dad get's married in the end. Ronnie learns something shocking about his family (who his grandfather really is). The woman his dad is marrying (who has been hounding Firestorm for months about irresponsible damage during crimefighting) reveals she knows he's firestorm.

There is a disturbing scene where one of Ronnie's friends on the football team breaks his neck on the field. Very effective.

No major villains at all....but a decent story.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:18:09 AM

OK. I owe bluegrasscomics an apology.

The Amazing Spider Man #270 I ordered arrived on the 17th. It was misfiled at my place of business and I didn't get it 'til today....but that's not his fault.

It arrived in a timely manner...and the packaging was spot on.

I will put his store on my "worth another order" list.

I also received my American Flagg lot today!

The American Flagg run is from #8-28. Bought from an ebay seller by the name of lovetosell203. Comics came below condition noted, but the guy said mint to near mint (so I was skeptical anyways---the pic showed that they were more likely VF- by my grade---I am a tough grader). The price was still right, though.
They were shipped promptly....but the packaging was second rate and they smelled like smoke. I hate that.

The Howard Chaykin art in this series is terrific and the violent, sexual world the characters inhabit is extremely well written and engaging. Give this one a try if you've never read it....but be wary of lovetosell203. Mediocre. I won't be going back to him. Too many better options for my comic money.
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 2:55:17 PM

Not much time for comic reading or buying in the last 24 hours.

I did do a couple reviews of recent reads...so check the reviews section of this very site and let me know what you think.

Too many drinks with friends last night.....grilling out tonight and a new book....World War Z (which is awesome)...has taken up my comic time the last coupla days.

I am flipping out about quality comix. I can't get ahold of them. Spent a great deal of money. and havent gotten what i bought yet. I wouldnt be so worried if Brent, at quality, would return a message.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 6:15:41 PM

Between work....World War Z....Memorial Day weekend fun and some issues I am having with my neck, I have had little time for comcis recently.

I have a couple things to report though:

I finished adding some 1999 comics that have no cover or indicia indicator of month published in the correct spot in my choronological stacks. I used this very site, Comicbookdatabase, comicvine and a few more esoteric sources to do this. There were a hodgepodge of stuff that needed investigation (some DC bookshelf editions like Doctor Mid-Nite, some Marvel Annuals, some Wizard 0 issues and a few oddball indie things like "Hero on a Stick")

I also added some of my "to be filed" items into my finished collection boxes and modified my master want list appropriately (some Adventurers multiples, Adventures of the Thing--a Marvel Reprint, and a few other things)

I also found a helpful person on another site (comicscorral) that is trying to help me make sure I get my order from qualitycomix. We have reached the point where his complete lack of communication has me worried.
I am still on the fence though, as I have had positive purchases from Quality before and he has some items that are on my list that are very hard to find. I would love to have him in my "preferred seller" list.

That's all so far. Hoping to get to some of the new comics I have recently that fill in wholes in my past chronological reading order (American Flagg and Amazing Spider-Man) read tonight. Pretty beat though. I may just fall asleep after eating some of my brother in laws ribs and having a few beers and chasing the kids around. either way, I'm pretty happy.

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:19:23 PM

Found some time for some comic booky stuff finally.

Socked away a bunch of stuff into my finished collection boxes (American Flagg and Amethyst vol.1 multiples mainly---but also, notably, Amazing Spiderman Annual #3)

This is a good+ copy (according to my tight grading.) But, man, what an amazing read. It is hard to find comic stories that beat those early spidey tales.

My order from Alphacomics also arrived....fast! an d expertly packed as usual. He even threw in a few extras (mainly just store freeby stuff, but also a Marvel Tales issue!)

I also managed some comic reading...that very same Marvel Tales from Alpha (which is a Morbius Story with the X-men reprinted from Marvel team-up #4 with some gorgeous Gil Kane art) plus a couple of American Flagg. I am going to add some American Flagg reviews to the database. I hope I can help get a couple of people latched onto these stories. They are awesome!

Best thing, though is that I actually spoke to Brent Moeshlin at QualityComix. He apologized for the delay and the lack of communication, refunded me $15 and sent my item express mail!
This is it.

http://www.qualitycomix.com/catalog_detail.php?issue_id=24118

I am friggin' Stoked!
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:15:41 PM

lots going on right now.....most important....my grandma had a stroke. I took the first flight to cleveland. I did bring some comics to read during all the hospital sitting though. I'll post later about that. Keep my grandma in ur thoughts if u dont mind.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:50:12 PM

I am back in Milwaukee.

My grandmother is...improved....but still not out of the woods.

I only managed to read a couple of American Flagg comics in the hospital.

I did, however, take a breather Sunday afternoon, while Grandma was getting a CT scan to go comic hunting.

I went to an Akron area comic shop not too far from the hospital called J C Comics and Cards.

Now, this was really a stereotypical comic store. It was small and dingy and not conducive to casual traffic.

However, I found myself wishing I wasn't in a hurry to get back to the hospital. They had a great back issue/trade/25 cent box selection. And those three things are what i am in the market for.

Anyways, I did find some good stuff in the short time I was in there: Full runs of the 1982 Tales of the New Teen Titans limited series and the original Art Adams Longshot limited Series. I got some G.I.Joe gap filler as well as an addition to my growing Amazing Spider Man and uncanny X-men runs. I got a Transformers #9 (Ciruit Breaker vs. Starscream...great read). Got some other stuff too, but most happy with these two finds:

One of my favorite stand alone comic stories ever. I am also trying to fill out all the Uncanny annuals so this helped. Great deal too, and high grade.

And

Picked it up in the 25 cent bin. Not that this is such a great find...but I love finding some slightly oddball stuff in bargain bins when I am already buying other stuff. and...That cover is GORGEOUS.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 4:39:47 PM

FYI---I am adding reviews in the "news and reviews" section as i go through my chronological reading. Please check them out and give me some feedback. Thanks.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:19:36 PM

Wife and kids still in Ohio. Tired from happy hour last nightplus long day of work.

Sacked out on the couch vegging out to the Office on DVR and a lotta comics:

Tales of the New Teen Titans #2-4---Uncanny X-Men Annual #4---American Flagg #16--Jemm, Son of Saturn #5

so far. Good comicy reading night!

Also...found a list of the top 25 comic related TV shows online and decided to slowly watch them all in their entirety.

First on the list was:

Luckily, I already own Vol.1, so I can watch all those before tracking the rest down on DVR. They are on TV all the time, so I shouldn't have much trouble. I am starting tonight.

I'll be checking back with comments about this from time to time, but Batman Animated is a titular comic show. I am expecting it to be just as good and hold up after all these years
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 4:10:20 PM

Animal Crackers #31

This is going to become an obsession.

If anyone out there can help me locate this book, I will buy immediately.

There are several #9's for sale right now (I already have one), and I saw that HA sold a #31 back in 2007. That's the closest I have come to this baby so far.

This title changed names several times as the rights shifted publishing companies (that's happened a lot back then). Interestingly enough, there is only a #1 #2 #9 and #31 of this title. Weird.
comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 9:28:25 PM

Lotsa stuff to cover right now.

I'll go one at a time.

First and Foremost: My search for Animal Crackers #31 is proving more difficult than I hoped.

This site....comicscorral....Heritage Auctions....comicbookclassified.....CGC forums...milehighcomics....Qualitycomix...Mycomicshop...wwcomics--I have posted "want to buys" or searched on all of 'em and haven't gotten a bite yet.
Although, on the corral, a helpful person (nocutename) is trying to aid me in my search. So, shout out for her.

I even went into my least liked LCS today. It's called Collector's Edge. It's a small chain here in Milwaukee (They have three stores.)
They may be my least favorite, but I have NEVER walked out of there dissapointed when searching for a back issue. NEVER.

Welp, today was a first. They had some Animal Crackers issues, but not #31. I was sorely dissapointed.

I did buy some modern bags and a Visionaries #3 though, just to make the trip worth it.

This was based off one of the dozen or so really bad, similar 80's action, sci-fi cartoons.

I am now vowing not to buy another comic until I get Animal Crackers #31.

comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 9:50:03 PM

wickedcomics
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 10:13:03 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:
With my recent Amethyst and Vision/Scarlet Witch pickups This is now #1 on my want list...and it's a doozy.

Animal Crackers #31

Anyone have a line on this one let me know. It is my new top priority. I will buy immediately. I have no requirements for grade. I'll just be happy to get my hands on one.

I actually have Animal Crackers #1. Let me pull it out later and give you a nice scan of it Cool

comicuniversity
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 10:48:45 PM

Watched Three episodes of Batman the Animated Series. They were the first three.

"On Leather Wings".....Man-Bat
"Christmas with the Joker"....Joker
"Nothing to Fear".....Scarecrow

Can't say enough. Wish I could post reviews of these episodes. Just such a great show.

Ah well. Maybe CCl should consider opening up the Database to DVDs and Blu-Rays.

My family had a car breakdown between Ohio and here today, so I had an unexpected bit of extra time.

The danged family min-van had a timer belt problem.