Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Confessions of a comicaholic Options
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 9:31:21 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Also, when i knew i was getting Animal Crackers, I bursted with the need to buy comics, since I had cut back so much.

I wanted to go with my guy Alpha, but he didn't have the next item on my wish list.

Bamf! comics did. In fact, they had the next 2.

And,

Also got some other filler from him: some Marvel G.I. Joes, Moon Knight Vol.1, 'Mazing Man, Finished Aquaman('86), Hercules: Prince of Power and Nathaniel Dusk P.I. vol.1 minis, Groo, New teen Titans, the first Marvel Two-In One to join my collection, New Mutants--including a Secret wars II crossover, Grimjack, Hulk, Iron Man, Robotech Macross Saga etc. etc.

Probably the neatest thing was this giveaway comic from the 70's:

Let me tell you about Bamf!! ( a CCL store BTW).
Prices are excellent. I mean, about as low as you can go. And he throws together good lots too.
Shipping is ludicrously fast. I placed an order Friday late morning and had it Monday. I mean. it's like they live next door to me or something.
Their packing is TOO tight. Do you know what I mean? On the one hand, there is no way that the comics were gonna be damaged during shipping. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I damaged them a little struggling to unpack them.
The grading.....well, it was a little overgenerous. I, of course, am a tighter grader than most, but his VF and NM, to me are more like F+ and VF-. But, that can be kinda objective.
His communication is absolutely topnotch. Something he shares with my two favorite comic sources----ALPHACOMICS here on CCL and one of my LCS's Vortex Comics.

So....BAMF!! is still on probation, but nearing my preferred seller list.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 9:33:40 PM

Still watching Batman Animated Season 1.

Planning on going to Dark Knight Rises with the boy this week.

Participating in the Superhero Showdown further down this particular dial. Please check in. The more participation, both voting and commenting, the more fun it is.

Continuing to file my "no publication date" comics.

Plan on adding some reviews too. Read an excellent issue of Amazing Spider Man a coupla days ago for instance.

Lotta comicy stuff happening.
frozilla
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 10:05:07 PM

Groups: Member

I enjoy your reviews and banter on comics in general. And you pick some really random comics too!

The high shipping is to entice you to buy more! :D

Big signatures are REALLY annoying.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 10:50:31 PM

frozilla wrote:
I enjoy your reviews and banter on comics in general. And you pick some really random comics too!

The high shipping is to entice you to buy more! :D

Thanks Frozilla! I appreciate the kind words.

The shipping ploy almost worked too. If I hadn't just ordered from Bamf!...and if we weren't remodeling our upstairs bathroom.....and if My grad. School loans weren't burning through our acct.....and if the boy wasn't going to a private high school this year. blah. blah. blah. blah. I'dve definitely gotten a coupla more things from them. They have, like, the next 25 things on my wish list, afterall.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:04:59 PM

Finally saw The Dark Knight Rises

I will keep this brief. Horribly dissapointed. Horribly.

I don't want to go in depth for fear of spoiling anything. But, Batman begins I consider an excellent movie. Dark Knight is one of my all time favorite movies period. So, needless to say, I was expecting great things from this one too.
Bad.

And then,a few hours later, I had to listen to a co-worker tell me I didn't like it because I didn't understand it. So I asked him if he had been sitting next to me to explain it to me in his great wisdom, would I have loved it? He of course, answered no, because if i didnt want to like it then it wouldn't have mattered.

So....I didn't like it, first because i am too stupid to understand it apparently, then second, because I simply didn't want to like it. That's right. He actually is convinced that I have some narcissistic desire to hate this particular movie.

Geez.

Anyways. bad. In My Humble Opinion of course.
junkmonkey
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:13:47 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

comicuniversity wrote:

Finally saw The Dark Knight Rises

I will keep this brief. Horribly dissapointed. Horribly.

I don't want to go in depth for fear of spoiling anything. But, Batman begins I consider an excellent movie. Dark Knight is one of my all time favorite movies period. So, needless to say, I was expecting great things from this one too.
Bad.

And then,a few hours later, I had to listen to a co-worker tell me I didn't like it because I didn't understand it. So I asked him if he had been sitting next to me to explain it to me in his great wisdom, would I have loved it? He of course, answered no, because if i didnt want to like it then it wouldn't have mattered.

So....I didn't like it, first because i am too stupid to understand it apparently, then second, because I simply didn't want to like it. That's right. He actually is convinced that I have some narcissistic desire to hate this particular movie.

Geez.

Anyways. bad. In My Humble Opinion of course.

I get the same reaction when I tell people I didn't like it. You're not alone.

yourplace2
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:18:43 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I liked it because it was NOT in 3D. Applause Applause Applause

And it really was a great story. DEEP!

You definately had to pay attention, and had to have seen the two movies before it.

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:36:59 AM

yourplace2 wrote:

You definately had to pay attention, and had to have seen the two movies before it.

I'm with you on the 3-D. Not a fan, really, except in rare occasions.

The actual story was fine. In fact, I can imagine that the script read very well.
It just didn't translate to a good movie for me.

Too many....well, I don't want to even talk about it. Hate spoiling movies.
The_Ghost
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:35:44 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

yourplace2 wrote:

I agree with YourPlace. The story was very deep and enjoyable. I dont see how people who liked the first 2 did not like the 3rd. Maybe some people were going in with very high expectations. I thought it was very good and a great ending to the trilogy.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Jim
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:44:55 AM

Groups: Member

I enjoyed the movie as the ending of the Trilogy but as a stand alone it had some flaws.
The first half of the movie could have been cut down dramatically. It really dragged on.
But my biggest complaint was the apparent "evolution" of Bane. He was such an amazing character when they introduced at the beginning of the movie but by the end he was reduced to something barely recognizeable. Even the way he spoke changed toward the end of the movie. I really like how he sounded and the way he spoke in the first 2/3 of the film. Anne Hathaway's performance was alright if ultimately unnecessary. The introduction of "Robin" at the end was a good nod, though it felt a little like he might have skipped the whole Robin part of his life and went directly to Nightwing once he found the cave.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 11:25:28 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The_Ghost wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

I agree with YourPlace. The story was very deep and enjoyable. I dont see how people who liked the first 2 did not like the 3rd. Maybe some people were going in with very high expectations. I thought it was very good and a great ending to the trilogy.

I haven't seen it yet, either (and somehow have managed to avoid spoilers thus far), but it's interesting the extreme mixed reactions it's been getting. But (again, without seeing it) I think Ghost hit it on the head. Tremendous hype really caused a big let down in a lot of people. And the hype didn't even come from people seeing the movie and saying how great it was (as in the second film). The huge expectations began before anyone even saw the film. Fact is, I don't think it could ever have been as good as TDK.

I'm anticipating enjoying the movie, simply because my expectations have not been the same as everyone else's.
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 2:56:57 PM

i have to respectfully say.....i think that's a load of b.s. Hype doesnt increase or decrease my enjoyment of a movie. I either like it or i don't. And i think thats true of most people. In fact, i think, in this case, hype is working the other way around. People wanted this movie to be brilliant so badly, that some are coming up with explanations and excuses for why it's good...when, in fact, they didnt really like it.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 12:22:21 PM

Ok, been a fun week. Dark knigth rises with the boy. Had a blast at Wisconsin State Fair and went to a wedding last night.

Also, nailed down the next four things on my wishlist.
1) Animal Crackers #31--Metropolis. (not arrived yet, but in the mail)
2) Aquaman ('86) #1 (from Bamf here on CCL)
3) Vigilante #28 (also from Bamf)
4) U.S. 1 #3 (from an ebay sale).

Next up are these five:

1)

Archie Giant Series #543

2)

X-Men King Sized #2

3)

Archie At Riverdale high #109

4)

Uncanny X-Men #192

5)

Arion Lord of Atlantis #27
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 12:23:16 PM

Won my first SUPERHERO SHOWDOWN MATCH YESTERDAY!!!!

Quasar: 17 Klaw: 1

Thanks for everyone who voted.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 5:33:58 PM

Recently had two Ebay successes in the past month.

I didn't think this was possible, but bought

Moon Knight (vol.1) #1-14

and

U.S. 1 # 1-10 and #12

And, in both purchases managed to haggle the seller down on price, and they weren't "make an offer" auctions.

comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:55:35 AM

Been Really busy.

My wife's dance company does a performance every year at Danceworks here in Milwaukee. Their three shows were this past weekend. My oldest is getting ready for his first year of High School and all that entails. He started Cross Country yesterday. Among other things...like my ultra-important fantasy football draft.

Any ways, my time for comic stuff has been more sparse than usual, but I do have a few things to share. I'll be back on later today.

First things first though.

I am now 2-0 in the Sueprhero Showdown:

Moondragon: 8 Tempest: 4

I want to thank everyone who voted again and ask others to steer their participation down there. it really is a blast and the more people voting and commenting the more fun it is!!
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:25:31 AM

Catching up:

Bought a lot of Moon Knight's on ebay from ebay id kidlongshot.

It was a mid-high grade lot from #1-#14. This is the 1980 series.

He listed them as a couple on Vg/F but most at VF.

I could tell from the scans that most were in the Fine range and at the low end of that range.
I asked if he would lower his asking price because of this and he did!

At the price I got, it was a good deal, even though they weren't high grade, so I pulled the trigger. They shipped quickly and securely and the items came as appeared on the auction (but not at the grade quoted.)

I was happy and kidlongshot has joined my "small sample size, but positivie experience" list.
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:06:55 PM

Picked up Essential Moon Knight Vol. 2 yesterday.

I am really starting to build a fairly impressive Moon Knight collection, I think.

I got it from an Amazon merchant and I am not very pleased. I'll give a full review of them later. Right now I am getting set for my SUPERHERO SHOWDOWN matchup with Ghost.
kevscomics
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 2:16:17 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

Thundercron wrote:
The_Ghost wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, either (and somehow have managed to avoid spoilers thus far), but it's interesting the extreme mixed reactions it's been getting. But (again, without seeing it) I think Ghost hit it on the head. Tremendous hype really caused a big let down in a lot of people. And the hype didn't even come from people seeing the movie and saying how great it was (as in the second film). The huge expectations began before anyone even saw the film. Fact is, I don't think it could ever have been as good as TDK.

I'm anticipating enjoying the movie, simply because my expectations have not been the same as everyone else's.

It was ok, I mean I wasn't crazy about it, by far the worst part for me was watching with my 4 year old son and having to get up and take him to the bathroom 3 times...lol
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 2:18:00 PM

kevscomics wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
The_Ghost wrote:
yourplace2 wrote:

It was ok, I mean I wasn't crazy about it, by far the worst part for me was watching with my 4 year old son and having to get up and take him to the bathroom 3 times...lol

Dark Knight Rises with a four year old? No thanks.