Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Is Hellboy worth the read? Options
Reggie
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:13:27 AM

Groups: Member

I've never gotten into any Hellboy comics but have been thinking of giving it a try. As fanatic as I am about collecting Hardcovers, I thought I might pick up the Hellboy Library Edition Vol. 1 which includes story lines Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil to give it a start. How is this series and is it worth the purchase of the HCs?

4saken1
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:36:13 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Getting the HC would probably be easier than hunting down the individual issues (and likely cheaper, too). I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and need to give it another read-through from the beginning sometime soon.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

scotteaves
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:58:16 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

I found it to be hit or miss. Then it started missing more than hitting and I dumped all of my issues because of that.

chiller67
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:40:15 PM

scotteaves wrote:
I found it to be hit or miss. Then it started missing more than hitting and I dumped all of my issues because of that.

I would agree. A friend of mine let me borrow his trade paperback collection of Hellboy comics and to be honest, I was left thinking what the fuss was about. It's Ok. As Scott says, it was hit or miss - with a fair few misses.
wpmcclure
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:56:31 PM

I have purchased the Hellboy HCs 1-5 and have read the first four books. I found the first two books to be entertaining and overall really good in content and writing, however the 3rd one starts to fall short of my expectations. Finally the fourth book was just odd, cold, empty, left me wondering about a lot, like what the hell? I haven't started book 5 yet but will post what I think about it after I give it a go. Overall the series has been worth it and had a hard time putting them down. The artwork in the back of each of the HCs is alone worth the purchase price at ~$30 each. A very good price compared to buying each comic or trade. Plus the HCs have a resell value in case you find them a waste.

I have also picked up the B.P.R.D: Plague of Frogs HC series. There are 4 HCs in the series, the fourth will be released very soon. I'll tell that this series was a different yet refreshing take of the storyline from the Hellboy series. But I'll warn you that though books 1 and 2 I thought were really good and engaging, the 3rd book for me was a flop. It had content that explaned a few things but was a bit boring. I'm hoping the fourth book will wrap everything up and also keep me engaged. This series is going for ~$23 each. These books are about 1.5 inches thick and the hellboy HCs vary in thickness.

Any ways, that's my 2 cents... Big Grin

Reggie
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:52:48 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
I have purchased the Hellboy HCs 1-5 and have read the first four books. I found the first two books to be entertaining and overall really good in content and writing, however the 3rd one starts to fall short of my expectations. Finally the fourth book was just odd, cold, empty, left me wondering about a lot, like what the hell? I haven't started book 5 yet but will post what I think about it after I give it a go. Overall the series has been worth it and had a hard time putting them down. The artwork in the back of each of the HCs is alone worth the purchase price at ~$30 each. A very good price compared to buying each comic or trade. Plus the HCs have a resell value in case you find them a waste.

I have also picked up the B.P.R.D: Plague of Frogs HC series. There are 4 HCs in the series, the fourth will be released very soon. I'll tell that this series was a different yet refreshing take of the storyline from the Hellboy series. But I'll warn you that though books 1 and 2 I thought were really good and engaging, the 3rd book for me was a flop. It had content that explaned a few things but was a bit boring. I'm hoping the fourth book will wrap everything up and also keep me engaged. This series is going for ~$23 each. These books are about 1.5 inches thick and the hellboy HCs vary in thickness.

Any ways, that's my 2 cents... Big Grin

I think I might give it a shot. I'm sort of a completest so if I buy the first vol I can't help myself to not buy the rest. I'll try the Hellboy series first and I'm going to look up B.P.R.D: Plague of Frogs and see what it's all about. Thanks.

Dementia5
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:12:15 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

I have the HCs and I enjoy them. But I am a Mike Mignola fan.

That's the rub, if you are a fan of his work this is his magnum opus.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

dunleavy75
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 10:16:18 PM

BPRD has been the most consistently good title over the last year or more in my opinion.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Moeman
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 7:44:33 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I'm currently collecting all the Hellboy trades. I am up to #8 and have thoroughly enjoyed them all (barring the artwork in a few). As one of the previous posters indicated, you have to be a Mignola fan.
Reggie
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:57:19 PM

As far as the actual comic books go, was there ever a regular ongoing series or is Hellboy published like a bunch of mini-series?

4saken1
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 9:36:36 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Just like B.P.R.D., it's a bunch of mini-series.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Nate77
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:19:10 AM

Reggie wrote:
As far as the actual comic books go, was there ever a regular ongoing series or is Hellboy published like a bunch of mini-series?

Starting in December is the Hellboy in Hell series. Beginning and ongoing with #1 written and illustrated by Mike Mignola.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40900

4 8 15 16 23 42

Pull List: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Deadpool,X-Force, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman & ?, B.P.R.D., Hellboy, The Walking Dead, Super Dinosaur.