Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?" Thread Options
SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:22:25 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

It's sold for $10 and $14.95 here. The two stores selling are in the $7 range. None of the Amazing issues around it or the other issues in the storyline are marked up like this. What gives?

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:30:38 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

SwiftMann wrote:
It's sold for $10 and $14.95 here. The two stores selling are in the $7 range. None of the Amazing issues around it or the other issues in the storyline are marked up like this. What gives?

I don't know, but it was a good Carnage story, and that's a sweet looking cover.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
junkmonkey
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:30:48 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

SwiftMann wrote:

No idea. I bought it for a a dollar at a store in town.

pottersan
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:29:45 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:

If this seller on ebay is correct:
HTF CARNAGE LOW PRINT ERIK MARK BAGLEY WEB OF CARNAGE

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
ukblueky
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:14:21 AM

Groups: Member

Saw on ebay last week a seller had the complete set of X-cutioners Song issues for $175.00.No I'm not joking.Somebody thinks highly of his comcs.Laughing

ukblueky
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:17:54 AM

Kinda on the same subject.I see that the #14 issue of Catwoman and Batgirl are just selling for cover price.So it really must be the die cut cover that is fetching the super inflated price for issue #13.

Tamwood
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:52:06 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

ukblueky wrote:
Kinda on the same subject.I see that the #14 issue of Catwoman and Batgirl are just selling for cover price.So it really must be the die cut cover that is fetching the super inflated price for issue #13.

Stores had the ability to adjust their orders for #14 of these titles. For #13, they didn't. It became a supply-and-demand situation, after everybody suddenly decided they wanted the Death storyline, and the masks.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:52:49 AM

pottersan wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

i think its a mix between low print runs and symbiotes bonding with other charatchers. the ASM isuues (430-431) where the carnage symbiote bonds with silver surfer are hard to find and expensive as (banned) too.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:21:22 AM

Shop at My Store

Never knew Carnage taking over someone else was a collectible "thing."

And while I buy into the idea that those 1998 issues may have a low run, I find it a bit hard to believe that 1996 issues are hard to find. The bubble hadn't completely burst yet and there were still plenty of people buying the "event" of the Clone Saga.

Just a really weird one to me. Happy to have it, but weird.

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:50:09 AM

eh... yeah, well you have to realize that many fans at this point had walked away after learning peter was a "clone". by the time Ben fully took over the mantle of spider-man it was to late and many true fans had left. just the kids who bought into it (like me and burningdoom) stayed because the marketing division at marvel knew kids would buy. all in all the clone saga was an epic fail but it had many selling points like the scarlet spider, Kain, etc. and i meant hard to find at a decent price. my bad. luckily my brother kept all my comics from when i was a kid and left for the service so i still have these from when i bought them off the newsstand! :D

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:12:22 AM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
just the kids who bought into it (like me and burningdoom) stayed because the marketing division at marvel knew kids would buy.

I was one of those kids (well, late teenager) who bought into checking out the Saga, but based on numbers reported in #400, Amazing was selling 250,000 plus copies up to #400. That'd be a HUGE drop off by #410, which is why I have a hard time imagining this is a legitimately low print run.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:44:56 AM

SwiftMann wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:
just the kids who bought into it (like me and burningdoom) stayed because the marketing division at marvel knew kids would buy.

I was one of those kids (well, late teenager) who bought into checking out the Saga, but based on numbers reported in #400, Amazing was selling 250,000 plus copies up to #400. That'd be a HUGE drop off by #410, which is why I have a hard time imagining this is a legitimately low print run.
Think well there's sites i'm sure, that track the print numbers of books.

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 10:44:28 AM

Shop at My Store

icv2 is the only site I know, but they only go back to March 2001.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:51:41 PM

bummer, i'd really like to know what the printing count are for these "low print" comics. i wonder what dictates the printing number. ASM is such a huge marvel book its dumb to think that they don't print higher numbers sometimes.

outcast
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 4:52:45 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
Think well there's sites i'm sure, that track the print numbers of books.
In general, comicchron[dot]com is good for this sort of thing. Unfortunately, however, comicchron seems to depend in part on Diamond's public sales rankings, and Amazing Spider-Man 410 was distributed, not by Diamond, but by Marvel-owned Heroes' World, during Marvel's misguided experiment with self-distribution. So no luck there for single-issue sales information.

Annual average sales figures ARE available at comicchron for Amazing Spider-Man. Here's how to view that information:

On the site's home page, click Title Sales.

On the Title Spotlights page, enter Amazing Spider-Man into the search box. Click the Search button.

On the search results page, click the link for Amazing Spider-Man Annual Sales Figures.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 6:01:30 PM

Shop at My Store

Print runs are lower in the late 90's because a lot of stores went out of business & it meant fewer orders. I'm sure there are still many stockpiles still out there of all the Valiants & overprinted Marvels that never sold & left stores in a bind.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:25:30 PM

Shop at My Store

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
pottersan wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

i think its a mix between low print runs and symbiotes bonding with other charatchers. the ASM isuues (430-431) where the carnage symbiote bonds with silver surfer are hard to find and expensive as (banned) too.

As to why this issue is priced higher than any of the other installments to the Web of Carnage storyline--I think it's because it's the Amazing Spider-Man chapter. "Amazing" has always been the flagship Spidey title, and always price higher than any other Spider-Man title published during any given time period. Lots of people collect Spider-Man, and if anyone is trying to get a full set, it's usually for Amazing. There aren't a lot of people trying to collect every single Spidey title ever published (although it would be admirable). And not too many people only buy Web or Spectacular. Everyone wants Amazing.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:59:04 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

SwiftMann wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

It's #418, #410 was still smack-dab in the middle of the Clone Saga itself. This is after it was all over and they were trying to make Reilly the new Spider-Man. Which is the dumbest move they could have done. Everyone knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man, they should have kept it that way and kept Reilly as Scarlet Spider and kept him on New Warriors.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:02:27 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

It's #418...

D'oh

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:45:52 PM

Shop at My Store

That Carnage issue we're discussing is #410....