Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
What is the best Deadpool run? Options
wpmcclure
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:53:38 PM

Groups: Member

Just curious but I've been reading some stuff with Deadpool, mainly from the Uncanny X-Force and recently the Avenging Spider-Man series and well, I love the guy. I heard their are a lot of BAD stories featuring Deadpool so I wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of some good humorous runs of Deadpool. I know the current Deadpool (2008) is ending soon (not sure if that is where I should start or not) and the new one that i've preordered will be coming out next month, but wanted to know what was out there that was worth the read, thanks.

Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:53:31 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I can't comment on "good Deadpool stories" because I honestly don't think there is such a creature, but I wanted to drop my 2 cents.

I think Deadpool could have been a great character, despite being created by He-Who-Should-Have-Had-His-Hands-Broken-To-Prevent-Any-Comic-Book-Art (or HWSHHHHBTPACBA for short). Hired gun, mercenary for hire -- that's cool. A little healing factor, courtesy of Weapon X, that's fine. He could even by batcrap crazy, thanks for the Weapon X experiments, which could allow the split-personality and the multiple word bubbles in every freaking panel.

It's all the other crap. The stupidity, the zombie head, the Corps. I just think Marvel ruined a potentially awesome character. And I realize that tons of people love the character, but I simply don't get the humour.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:10:52 AM

bingo. i had to drop the book while it was in the 20's. they just got stupid. hit monkey? are kidding?

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

LordMikel
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:40:03 AM

I think you might like Amazing Spider-man #611. I simple one shot of Deadpool vs Spider-man. But I think it is of the caliber you want.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:45:10 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

The original (?) Deadpool mini...Deadpool the Circle Chase is awesome. Some really cool Madureira art and none of the later complete craziness.

Deadpool: Agent of Weapon X....the arc within Deadpool vol.1 (I think it starts with issue 56, but it's obvious cause they actually change the titel of teh book to Deadpool Agent of Weapon X for this arc) that leads into the Weapon X series is also really good.

wpmcclure
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:54:56 PM

LordMikel wrote:
I think you might like Amazing Spider-man #611. I simple one shot of Deadpool vs Spider-man. But I think it is of the caliber you want.

Thanks for this recommendation, I picked it up about a month ago Tongue

wpmcclure
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:55:58 PM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
bingo. i had to drop the book while it was in the 20's. they just got stupid. hit monkey? are kidding?

Was this from the latest run, volume 3?

junkmonkey
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:03:49 PM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

I really liked the first ten or so issues of the most recent volume. Good action and pretty funny jokes. Then, starting with the pirate arc, the art got crappy and it seemed to be trying to hard. I also enjoyed Cable and Deadpool.

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:05:41 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Was this from the latest run, volume 3?
yeah. the first run wasn't bad but its expensive. the first 20 or so ishes of the current wasnt to bad. he kills a bunch of skrulls and etc. if they tried for a more comical/action book it'd be decent but it seems like them try to hard to come up with fart jokes that it detracts from the action. not story line cuz c'mon... deadpool and a story is just absorbed. lol

wpmcclure
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:30:07 PM

So the Cable and Deadpool run is good?

AvidGamer
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:41:50 PM

I guess I am in the minority bit I enjoyed the Joe Kelly (first 20 or so issues) of the 1997 run.

Follow Me on Twitter!
@AvidGamerWear
Dementia5
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:50:58 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

LordMikel wrote:

Lord, how I hated this story with all my heart and soul. It was the only Spider-man story, out of the 1000+ I've read in my lifetime, that I actually couldn't finish.

Seems to me the best run of Deadpool hasn't been written yet.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:22:17 PM

wpmcclure wrote:
i'm not sure... the only books i bought were the civil war tie ins and i dont remember much from them... they may be a decent read

kidlippy
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:27:06 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I always thought Deadpool's best days were in the early to mid 90s. I do enjoy him in Uncanny X-Force too. Didn't mind Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe. First 3 issues weren't that bad considering.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

wpmcclure
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 2:32:17 PM

Well I'm looking forward to the new series. If they are going to keep him ridiculous then at least they got an amazingly funny writer like Brian Posehn. It may just succeed where others have failed.

AvidGamer
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 10:26:46 AM

I was not overly impressed with the first issue of the new series. It was too quip and retort heavy for my taste. Too many zingers thrown out and not enough actual dialog. I will give it a 5 issue chance. Bringing Blind Al and Weasel back would be a step in the right direction.

Follow Me on Twitter!
@AvidGamerWear
junkmonkey
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:00:48 AM

Groups: Media Host, Member, Moderator

AvidGamer wrote:
I was not overly impressed with the first issue of the new series. It was too quip and retort heavy for my taste. Too many zingers thrown out and not enough actual dialog. I will give it a 5 issue chance. Bringing Blind Al and Weasel back would be a step in the right direction.

That's what I thought. Did you check out the Marvel AR stuff? I thought that was pretty funny.

AvidGamer
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:50:33 PM

junkmonkey wrote:
AvidGamer wrote:

That's what I thought. Did you check out the Marvel AR stuff? I thought that was pretty funny.

No, not yet. I will though now that you recommend it.

Follow Me on Twitter!
@AvidGamerWear
PatThomas
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:44:08 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

wpmcclure wrote:

I liked it. What did you like about the character? Each writer has done him differently. Humor or more serious? If you like the thought boxes, you would probably like the last volume over the others.

Thank you,
Pat Thomas
205-914-6543