Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Disney buys Lucasfilm Options
scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:14:40 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

RBC_Distribution wrote:
MER wrote:
If they release the theatrical version/oldre version of SW, then I'll be a happy camper. It bothers me when creators give up their ownership to their product b/c it never goes well. I don't know why Lucas did it, and I may never know.

Hypnotized 4 billion Hypnotized

i think that's more than the going cost for a soul...

+1. Of course, Jar Jar has the other half of his soul.

wpmcclure
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:13:50 AM

Groups: Member

scotteaves wrote:
RBC_Distribution wrote:
MER wrote:
If they release the theatrical version/oldre version of SW, then I'll be a happy camper. It bothers me when creators give up their ownership to their product b/c it never goes well. I don't know why Lucas did it, and I may never know.

+1!! Rolling on the Floor

LordMikel
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:06:27 PM

scotteaves wrote:
RBC_Distribution wrote:
MER wrote:

Jar Jar was a Disney spy, haven't you heard?

I completely agree with Scotteaves about my fear for the movies. Do we cram it in between books, do we invalidate the books, do we base movies off the books, which I like that idea the best. It will be a balance.

More importantly, will we finally get a new Star Tours at Disney?
scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:18:20 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

LordMikel wrote:
scotteaves wrote:
RBC_Distribution wrote:
MER wrote:

Jar Jar was a Disney spy, haven't you heard?

I completely agree with Scotteaves about my fear for the movies. Do we cram it in between books, do we invalidate the books, do we base movies off the books, which I like that idea the best. It will be a balance.

More importantly, will we finally get a new Star Tours at Disney?

I thought they just revamped the entire Star Tours a year or two ago. That's why there are recent pictures of Lucas at Disney.

I too would rather new movies be based off some of the novels if they are going to be post-RotJ, but I doubt Lucas would want to use someone else's material. And since he's already got movies treatments and storylines mapped out that he handed over, I guess we'll just have to see and cross our fingers that they Expanded Universe doesn't get or messed with too much.

Update: Found this on the Star Tours Wikipedia entry:
"The first incarnation of the ride appeared in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in 1987, replacing the previous attraction, Adventure Thru Inner Space. Star Tours at Disneyland closed on July 27, 2010 to allow for the conversion to Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. Disney's Hollywood Studios closed its attraction on September 7, 2010 in anticipation of the same conversion which was completed on May 20, 2011. Tokyo Disneyland's Star Tours closed on April 2, 2012, to make way for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue which will open in Spring 2013. No announcement has been made regarding the future of the attraction in France." and "The attraction opened in Disney's Hollywood Studios on May 20, 2011 and at Disneyland on June 3, 2011, replacing the parks' original Star Tours attractions. It features an updated ride system, which consists of a new high-definition video, a Dolby 3D high-definition screen, an improved motion simulator and several new special effects and Audio-animatronics."

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:05:02 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

LordMikel wrote:
George Lucas established in the early 1980s (if not earlier) the existence of outlines, written by Lucas, for Episodes I, II, & III and Episodes VII, VIII, & IX. Personally, I want to see Episodes VII, VIII, & IX, and if production of those movies negates validity of some Star Wars books, then it's a price I'm willing to pay.

But more importantly, it may not even come to that. About a generation passed (in characters' time) between Episode III and Episode IV. It's not unreasonable to assume that that much time, or more, may pass between Episode VI and Episode VII. Isn't it possible that Episode VII would begin at a point in continuity after the time frame of all books and comics that have been published? Perhaps with all-new characters?

Don't forget, Lucas put constraints on Marvel between 1977 and 1983, including a restriction ensuring that Luke and Leia never became romantically entangled in the comics, in order to preserve the integrity of the characters for movies to come. It would be nice to think that LucasFilm has been similarly vigilant regarding more recent publishing projects with regard to the yet-unseen third trilogy of movies.
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:11:18 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

early his rough outline for 7-9 was Luke and Leia continuing on with the Jedi ways and training others - over time though Luke gave in to anger and fear and went to the dark side, eventually Leia kills him

that is really freakin' dark stuff though and quite a departure from the way the films were done so I'd be pretty surprised if that's what we got (especially from Disney)

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:16:29 PM

outcast wrote:
LordMikel wrote:
George Lucas established in the early 1980s (if not earlier) the existence of outlines, written by Lucas, for Episodes I, II, & III and Episodes VII, VIII, & IX. Personally, I want to see Episodes VII, VIII, & IX, and if production of those movies negates validity of some Star Wars books, then it's a price I'm willing to pay.

But more importantly, it may not even come to that. About a generation passed (in characters' time) between Episode III and Episode IV. It's not unreasonable to assume that that much time, or more, may pass between Episode VI and Episode VII. Isn't it possible that Episode VII would begin at a point in continuity after the time frame of all books and comics that have been published? Perhaps with all-new characters?

Don't forget, Lucas put constraints on Marvel between 1977 and 1983, including a restriction ensuring that Luke and Leia never became romantically entangled in the comics, in order to preserve the integrity of the characters for movies to come. It would be nice to think that LucasFilm has been similarly vigilant regarding more recent publishing projects with regard to the yet-unseen third trilogy of movies.

Sure, but that's about 45 years past the books. The novels start the day after the Battle of Endor (possibly the day of) and continue pretty much yearly after that. There are small gaps within that timeframe but probably not more than 3 to 5 years at best. I'd have to dig out various novels with the timelines in them to confirm.

Xylob - Luke does go to the dark side in the Dark Empire comic series. Leia brings him back.

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:24:07 PM

Xylob wrote:
early his rough outline for 7-9 was Luke and Leia continuing on with the Jedi ways and training others - over time though Luke gave in to anger and fear and went to the dark side, eventually Leia kills him

that is really freakin' dark stuff though and quite a departure from the way the films were done so I'd be pretty surprised if that's what we got (especially from Disney)
That's pretty interesting. Was that attributed directly, reliably to Lucas?

It sounds like the Luke arc is material Lucas already covered with Anakin. I wonder how much more is left for him to say about that?

Thanks for pointing that out. It was news to me.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:36:51 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Xylob wrote:

I don't remember where I read it, but very recently I read that Episodes 7-9 are in fact going to happen, and that Disney wants the story to be completely original. So that would mean they wouldn't go by the already outlined script Lucas had in the 80s, nor would it go by Thrawn Trilogy of books so many Star Wars fans consider to be Episodes 7-9.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:49:59 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

BurningDoom wrote:
Xylob wrote:

I don't remember where I read it, but very recently I read that Episodes 7-9 are in fact going to happen, and that Disney wants the story to be completely original. So that would mean they wouldn't go by the already outlined script Lucas had in the 80s, nor would it go by Thrawn Trilogy of books so many Star Wars fans consider to be Episodes 7-9.

Found it:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-7-will-be-original-story-report-says/

Quote:
Star Wars Episode 7 Will Be ‘Original Story,’ Report Says

When it was announced Tuesday that Disney will acquire Lucasfilm and release Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015, many fans hoped that meant the new films would follow Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn Trilogy (aka Heirs to the Empire), the bestselling novels set five years after the events of Return of the Jedi. However, a new report appears to dash those hopes.

Speaking to a source at Lucasfilm, E! News learned that Episode 7 is “an original story.” So what does that mean?

The website states, “Forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you’ve ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.”

While that’s disheartening news, it also sort of makes sense. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are all much too old to play their characters, and bringing them back in future films would just contribute to the nostalgia culture we’re living in. Sure, it would be great to see one of the original Star Wars actors make an appearance in the new movies, but it also would be a self-referential nod that would take the audience out of the film.

The “original story” route seems like the right option because, if Disney’s going to make a new generation of Star Wars work in a way the prequel trilogy couldn’t, then the studio’s got to find a way for it to be a success based on its own merit.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
LordMikel
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:07:13 PM

scotteaves wrote:

Update: Found this on the Star Tours Wikipedia entry:
"The first incarnation of the ride appeared in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in 1987, replacing the previous attraction, Adventure Thru Inner Space. Star Tours at Disneyland closed on July 27, 2010 to allow for the conversion to Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. Disney's Hollywood Studios closed its attraction on September 7, 2010 in anticipation of the same conversion which was completed on May 20, 2011. Tokyo Disneyland's Star Tours closed on April 2, 2012, to make way for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue which will open in Spring 2013. No announcement has been made regarding the future of the attraction in France." and "The attraction opened in Disney's Hollywood Studios on May 20, 2011 and at Disneyland on June 3, 2011, replacing the parks' original Star Tours attractions. It features an updated ride system, which consists of a new high-definition video, a Dolby 3D high-definition screen, an improved motion simulator and several new special effects and Audio-animatronics."

Thanks, I hadn't realized they had changed it. My whining is for nothing. I think that was shortly after the last time I went there.

Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I thought I had read once where George Lucas denied he had episodes 7, 8, and 9 planned and he never had any intention of doing them.
outcast
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:25:52 PM

LordMikel wrote:
Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I thought I had read once where George Lucas denied he had episodes 7, 8, and 9 planned and he never had any intention of doing them.
I don't know about GL denying he had 7, 8, & 9 planned (and that would contradict something published in the early '80s that I clearly remember reading a few years ago). But coverage this week (in NYTimes, IIRC) did refer to a statement by GL last winter (when Red Tails was released) that he would never personally direct any more Star Wars movies. Apparently he figured, if fans are going to kvetch about his direction of new Star Wars movies, why bother to direct any more?

Man's got a point.
ukblueky
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 10:03:37 PM

I saw Disney has already starting cashing in on their Star Wars acquisition.My youngest daughter was watching some show on the Disney chanel tonight, one of their kids program shows.They had R2D2 and C3PO make an appearance on the show I also heard Chewbacca in the background but dont know if he made an appearance as well.

comicfan17blue
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:07:41 AM

I heard a long time ago that supposedly GL wanted his son to make SW 7,8,9 and that was before the special edition versions of SW were released in theaters.
KingZombie
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 8:35:27 AM

Hey, I just thought of something...

Marvel + Lucasfilm + Disney = New Howard the Duck? Big Grin

wickedcomics
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 11:40:22 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I think he sold it because he was burnt out. He mentioned in several interviews when he was creating ep. 1,2,3 that he was burnt out from the star wars mythology. Actors do it all the time, they play a role 3-4 times again max and want to move on to different things because it's not challenging for them or they want to experience something different. I can imagine dedicating your life to one thing and eventually wanting to do something different. Not to mention 4 billion dollars is a heck of a lot of money and if you think about it that 4 billion can easily be 10 billion down the road. Lucas was paid 4 billion in cash and stocks & shares. So if Disney continues to do great like they have been doing then his stocks and shares in the company could just keep going up and up.

Beachbead
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 3:33:00 PM

Heard about this I just wondered why he did it.

R.I.P Michael Turner
R.I.P Dave Hoover
R.I.P Mike Wieringo
R.I.P Al Rio