Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Computer Crashed Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:57:10 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Angry

Had the dang thing for less than a year. It was a Dell, bought it brand-new from Best Buy. And ironically enough, I didn't do any less-than-legal downloading on this computer, as I did on the computer before it that lasted years. I guess it was Karma coming to kick me in the butt this time.

But unfortunately, that means I get to re-enter my entire comic collection into my software again...oh joy. My most recent back-ups were put on my computer, which I have no access to. The last one I put on disc was from like 2009.

I have like 4,000 comics to enter plus comic cards, magazines, and TPBs/graphic novels. This is gonna be a huge undertaking.

The good news is that I automatically upgraded my Windows to version 8, I used the RAM from my old PC and put into the new one giving the beast 10 GB of RAM, and I got a quad-core!

Unfortunately the CCL software doesn't seem to like Windows 8. Everything on the CCL software runs soooo S-L-O-W.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
dunleavy75
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:09:10 PM

Groups: Member

Ugh, sorry to hear this, Nate.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
RBC_Distribution
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:09:25 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Angry

Had the dang thing for less than a year. It was a Dell, bought it brand-new from Best Buy. And ironically enough, I didn't do any less-than-legal downloading on this computer, as I did on the computer before it that lasted years. I guess it was Karma coming to kick me in the butt this time.

But unfortunately, that means I get to re-enter my entire comic collection into my software again...oh joy. My most recent back-ups were put on my computer, which I have no access to. The last one I put on disc was from like 2009.

I have like 4,000 comics to enter plus comic cards, magazines, and TPBs/graphic novels. This is gonna be a huge undertaking.

The good news is that I automatically upgraded my Windows to version 8, I used the RAM from my old PC and put into the new one giving the beast 10 GB of RAM, and I got a quad-core!

Unfortunately the CCL software doesn't seem to like Windows 8. Everything on the CCL software runs soooo S-L-O-W.

you can piggyback your current hard drive with a new one and pull your last updated database file...very easy to do

My Why

Dementia5
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:33:38 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

RBC_Distribution wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
Angry

you can piggyback your current hard drive with a new one and pull your last updated database file...very easy to do

What the man said. It is unlikely you will be unable to fetch your proprietary data from a system failure. Might want to describe the symptoms, but unless it was a cascade HD collapse, you should be able to slave the MidTen data from "Your" Documents using another OS.

And it sounds like Dell is, once again, doing whatever it can in promoting quality control.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:27:59 AM

The hard drive was the problem. A virus got past my virus protection and completely wiped it. A system recovery didn't work.

Dementia5
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:54:27 AM

Name of the virus? Error that pops up on the screen?

If you hear beeps (POST) but no raster forms (screen image of ANY kind), that is a critical HW failure.

Can you get into BIOS? If not, there is HW failure which some viruses can stake claim, although rare.

Is the drive bootable? if so, your boot sector is alive and kicking which is half the battle.

Do you see the Windows POTB screen (Pat On The Back... the swirly lights that merge to form the familiar window pane with credit and copyright to Microsoft)? That's a good sign that your data is intact, but unreachable if you stall after this point.

Do you get a BSOD at any time? If so, that means you have passed the HAL layer which triggers Windows, meaning the MS kernel, the smallest Windows building block, is dormant but possibly salvagable.

It is more likely that this virus wiped out your file allocation table, the NTFS equivalent of FAT32. Deleting drive contents takes hours. The data is probably still there, but your partition is damaged. There are several alternatives, none of which are bundled by Windows, but here is one of my favs.

I'd still make the effort to slave the drive, but be cautioned that if you recover the data, you will also recover the virus and poison your new HDD. Sterilize the drive with Malwarebytes or even MS Security Essentials, that should do the trick. Again, be best to tell us the name of the virus if you can remember it.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:55:46 AM

at least you have the 64 as a back up!

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:31:22 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Dementia5 wrote:

And it sounds like Dell is, once again, doing whatever it can in promoting quality control.

Let's see... I've owned 4 Dell Laptops, 2 or 3 Dell desktops and not one has ever had a failure. They've all lasted until I choose to sell them (3 or 4 years). I have recently dealt with 2 Dell desktops from family members that failed - one 8 years after purchase and one 7 years after purchase.

I've ONLY dealt with Dell's in corporate environments (probably 35,000+ systems) over the last 13 - 14 years. And their failure rate has been less than competitors failure rates.

Not really sure what you're basing your assessment on, but in my experience, Dell tends to be a bit more reliable.

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:06:48 PM

Dementia5 wrote:

If you hear beeps (POST) but no raster forms (screen image of ANY kind), that is a critical HW failure.

Can you get into BIOS? If not, there is HW failure which some viruses can stake claim, although rare.

Is the drive bootable? if so, your boot sector is alive and kicking which is half the battle.

Do you see the Windows POTB screen (Pat On The Back... the swirly lights that merge to form the familiar window pane with credit and copyright to Microsoft)? That's a good sign that your data is intact, but unreachable if you stall after this point.

Do you get a BSOD at any time? If so, that means you have passed the HAL layer which triggers Windows, meaning the MS kernel, the smallest Windows building block, is dormant but possibly salvagable.

It is more likely that this virus wiped out your file allocation table, the NTFS equivalent of FAT32. Deleting drive contents takes hours. The data is probably still there, but your partition is damaged. There are several alternatives, none of which are bundled by Windows, but here is one of my favs.

I'd still make the effort to slave the drive, but be cautioned that if you recover the data, you will also recover the virus and poison your new HDD. Sterilize the drive with Malwarebytes or even MS Security Essentials, that should do the trick. Again, be best to tell us the name of the virus if you can remember it.

Uhhh, that all sounded like a foreign language to me. Not computer savvy at all past installing some new RAM or installing a program.

What happened is that my internet stopped working first due to low system resources it said. Then my programs started simply disappearing. So I did a system restore. It worked for about 2 minutes, then it all started happened again. This time I couldn't even bring up my control panel because it said system resources were too low. Figured something had to be wrong with the hard drive.

I figured by the time the cost of replacing the hard drive, getting a new copy of windows (they don't give you windows restore discs with your computer anymore), and paying for labor it would cost close enough to a new computer. So I just got one.

BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:10:20 PM

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
at least you have the 64 as a back up!

lol. I could get the 300 Baud modem that goes with it.

CuriousGoodsNComics
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 4:51:12 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Dementia5 wrote:

Uhhh, that all sounded like a foreign language to me. Not computer savvy at all past installing some new RAM or installing a program.

What happened is that my internet stopped working first due to low system resources it said. Then my programs started simply disappearing. So I did a system restore. It worked for about 2 minutes, then it all started happened again. This time I couldn't even bring up my control panel because it said system resources were too low. Figured something had to be wrong with the hard drive.

I figured by the time the cost of replacing the hard drive, getting a new copy of windows (they don't give you windows restore discs with your computer anymore), and paying for labor it would cost close enough to a new computer. So I just got one.

send me the drive, ill see if i can get the back-up off of it for you..yes free of charge...let me know...ill put it on a cd/dvd and send it back to you...the back-up not the drive lol
BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 6:41:30 PM

CuriousGoodsNComics wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
Dementia5 wrote:

send me the drive, ill see if i can get the back-up off of it for you..yes free of charge...let me know...ill put it on a cd/dvd and send it back to you...the back-up not the drive lol

That is a very generous offer, thank you. But it's already trashed. I stripped the computer of it's RAM and video card and trashed the rest. Didn't even want anything to do with that hard drive if it had a virus on it.

Dementia5
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 10:18:51 PM

scotteaves wrote:
Dementia5 wrote:

Let's see... I've owned 4 Dell Laptops, 2 or 3 Dell desktops and not one has ever had a failure. They've all lasted until I choose to sell them (3 or 4 years). I have recently dealt with 2 Dell desktops from family members that failed - one 8 years after purchase and one 7 years after purchase.

I've ONLY dealt with Dell's in corporate environments (probably 35,000+ systems) over the last 13 - 14 years. And their failure rate has been less than competitors failure rates.

Not really sure what you're basing your assessment on, but in my experience, Dell tends to be a bit more reliable.

In what seems to be an equivalent amount of time and experience, dealing with hundreds of Dell systems, I would argue that complaints and failure rates are higher than any other system I've dealt with in my career, to the point where I'm not willing to test their apparent quality/reliability in my own home for personal use.

But I am happy that Dell systems have been generous to you, just never witnessed it.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Spider-Man
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:45:45 AM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

When I close the software and it asks if I want to Back Up, I always say yes and then Back Up to a flash drive. Now the whole computer can crash, burn, get stolen or whatever but I will have my CCL data on that flash drive to reinstall if needed.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

MER
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:51:10 PM

I feel your pain. When I had a computer crash and upgraded to a regular computer, I lost all the info I entered into CCL. My future task will be fun and annoying all at the same time.

"(shouting)I'm not a window cleaner!"
-Roy (The IT Crowd)

Q: Who's the best opponent to fight in the X-Men's Danger Room?
A: Unicorns and Butterflies

Ode to get Tommy out of lurking-
"Punisher is not good. No response? I guess everyone agrees"
The_Ghost
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:10:03 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

I bought my wife a laptop from Best Buy a few years back. The thing didn't last a year before it started to smoke everytim we turned it on. Dont buy a computer from Best Buy is the moral of the story, folks.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation