Welcome Guest Active Topics
Where do unsold Newstand Editions go? Options
SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:43:05 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

scotteaves wrote:
monidaw1 wrote:

Back to work, the last question lost in the chaos.
Quote:
Anyone familiar with Nows distribution percentages?

The whyfore and whowannaknow parts to help identify why Denver is charging the same for newsstand editions of Green Hornet as they do for direct with the assumption being they must be availible in comparible qty and therefore no difference in value exists.

Or there's no demand. There is that to consider as well.

Or they haven't realized there are Now newsstands to mark up 500%.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:47:56 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Quote:
Or there's no demand. There is that to consider as well.

I meant to include that again and forgot but I've also been wondering if using that assumption combined with what Brett said about Denvers software automatically adjusting prices upwards to counter folks trying to buy out every copy of a hot issue at a low price, if the excessively high prices of some issues actually might end up verifying the demand and that the sales occured? Think

Hopefully if we collect enough distribution data over time some of this becomes clear.

Little things we can collect ourselves might also help verify some of this like when I was listing Green Lanterns just now, Emerald Dawn had lots of newsstands, Emerald Dawn 2 had a few but by the time I got to Mosaic they were scarce including only 1 out of 16 copys of issue #1 being a newsstand.

Quote:
Or they haven't realized there are Now newsstands to mark up 500%

Compared to what I sold the Spidey book for yesterday because no data was availible here to warn me it might be worth more, that would be 2,000%.

Seriously though, I am seeing a range of percentages as I now cross check every one I find going from no difference like with the Green Hornets to the extremes and plenty inbetween. There has to be a pattern to how they determine price and assuming no former employees show up to cut to the chase we should be able to determine what it is over time through direct comparison of the data.

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

yourplace2
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:49:38 PM

Shop at My Store

Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Join the store on FACEBOOK!

* All items must be returned prior to refund at your expense. Return shipping not refunded.

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:22:52 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:
...what Brett said about Denvers software automatically adjusting prices upwards to counter folks trying to buy out every copy of a hot issue at a low price...
Speculation on his part? An attempt at a little competitive sabotage? How could he possibly have such information regarding the pricing algorithms of their proprietary (not to mention archaic) website?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:32:26 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
Speculation on his part?

I don't know. I haven't seen him post here since that message thread he mentioned it in that spun out of control in the negative direction. If I see him again at the next convention I'll ask him.

Quote:
Well, we were at a loss. The system cannot make on-the-dime changes. This is what makes the Mile High system so important...it re-prices each book immediately based on inventory to hedge against taking a bath on the books.

Jim
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:02:53 PM

Groups: Member

I don't know of any "system" that does this. Amazon has a feature called "Match Low Price" where the seller can click a button and it automatically adjusts prices on selected items to match the lowest price offered by competitors. Ebay doesn't have anything like this and neither do other comic sales sites that I'm aware of.

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:13:04 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

monidaw1 wrote:
Seriously though, I am seeing a range of percentages as I now cross check every one I find going from no difference like with the Green Hornets to the extremes and plenty inbetween. There has to be a pattern to how they determine price and assuming no former employees show up to cut to the chase we should be able to determine what it is over time through direct comparison of the data.

From the 50 or so issues I looked at for a Newsstand shelf here, milehigh is simply marking up their direct prices by 2.5-5x, with most being in the 2.5-3.5x range. It's pretty consistent within a title and there's a very small sliding scale depending on grade. But I don't see it as anything more than a mark-up.

And remember, if milehigh doesn't have it in stock and shows a price in parenthesis, it's practically guaranteed that it's a higher "price" then when they actually try and sell it.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:35:56 PM

Shop at My Store

So this would be Variant G, but what goes in the caption?

Newsstand Edition/Cammo Black and White Cover/Price Variant

Had to shorten it. Too many letters. Went with

Newsstand Edition/Cammo B&W Cover/Price Variant

scotteaves
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:01:25 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:

Um, no. It should probably just replace the promotional art that was used for cover 2-D.

Why would you assume this is a Newsstand?? Just because there is a UPC? Dynamite (in their infinite wisdom) never uses actual scans of covers on their website. It's always the cover art without a barcode even though the actual issue has the barcode on the cover. Pretty annoying, IMO.

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:15:46 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

monidaw1 wrote:
(Highlander cover scan omitted)

I wouldn't have guessed that this is a newsstand edition. Until a few months ago, barcodes on Dynamite Entertainment's direct-sales comics generally had the format seen on this cover—no two-digit block nor five-digit block in the rightmost position (I read Zorro Rides Again #8 yesterday, and was surprised to see that DE now follows the five-digit direct-sales standard).

I've seen very few—two, I think—DE comics in a Barnes & Noble. The one I can recall clearly had a second barcode, in newsstand (two-digit) format, printed on a sticker, and pasted to the cover.
monidaw1
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:19:18 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
Why would you assume this is a Newsstand?? Just because there is a UPC? Dynamite (in their infinite wisdom) never uses actual scans of covers on their website. It's always the cover art without a barcode even though the actual issue has the barcode on the cover. Pretty annoying, IMO.

When we have doubts we post the questionable items on the message board for the comic geniuses. For assuming purposes, Spawn has nothing on the cover for the direct editions and bar codes on the newstand editions just like this one. The questionable part that was most questionable was the last digit of the bar code being a single digit unlike most of the others we've seen with newsstands having 2 digit endings and directs having 5 digits. There's also the cover price difference with this one having a price and the other listing not having a price. Whistle

15 straight hours is enough for one day. Goodnight Yawn

GOOD MORNING!!!!!!! ( I can't be the only one up at 5 AM Laughing )

I couldn't sleep so I ended up back down here surfing the net and I feel much better this morning. It occured to me that I have no frame of reference having never been expossed to anything other than CCL. So plundering around even briefly it becomes obvious, that almost everything I'm expecting CCL to pull off or hoping they might think to tweek, already exists in other comic book databases. Even the bar code scanner things. I got to see 2 different models including a wide one and even an APP for using a cell phone camera as a scanner like I mentioned would be helpful to make the datbase into a simple POS at conventions or places away from the main computer and the big scanner. I also saw sites where things can be listed for free until they sell which makes setting up a simple newsstand only outlet easy and might be something to consider here so approvers can validate or invalidate till their hearts content and users paying money for lifetime listings until they sell, can move items invalidated or split out as variants are added to listing that previously had none like newsstands. :) The paranoid/skeptic in me also feels better knowing that if you blow the place up, we can find other places to list inventory with little to no upfront costs. Whew!

So where are we at in terms of newstands in general?

Trying to do exactly what we we're trying to do all week. Gather data to determine if there's any validity to the scarcity of some newsstands which we've got a great start on. That CCL should be in the forefront of something if it wants to grow instead of apparently playing catchup to already existing technology like being one of the leaders to collect data on newsstands that are rare and offered for higher asking prices elsewhere might signify. Trying to get a head start on getting a broader range of them into the database so that when CCL rolls out their improvements with bar code scanner and hopefully cell phone APPs, it's not such a huge workload then, while providing a little extra income and data to CCL along the way. (You almost convinced me into thinking you were going to try and offer a barcode scanner that didn't have comics with bar codes included in what it'd be able to scan limiting it's usefulness and desirability. Silly ) We're also trying to be able to identify which books are and aren't which is still confussing even after a week of trying. Establish valid reasons why people should be allowed to want newsstands, should have the right to have them without getting berrated for it openly here and gradually lobby a larger % of people to support a gradual expansion of the concepts.

Now the next step it would seem would be to select an alternative program or two to mine for idea's that could be applied here at CCL as they work to catch up to what the Jones did yesterday. Maybe we can help them miss a few of the bugs along the way or see how others crossed certain bridges. Any idea which ones can be operated on the same computer CCL's operating on without software conflicts? I'm thinking probably one of the one's using online storage stuff but it's usually better to ask than to guess.

PS: Ellen UPDATE, she seems to be almost fully recovered from the fall down the stairs last week so hopefully we'll be excelerating the uploading of inventory again along with the search for newstands on the previous list and in general. I also found her another set of Christmas porcelin type dishes at the flea market this weekend for $3 so she's got an intact set again. Angel

11 AM Update: Made it through uploading the letter J titles this morning with nothing jumping out other than the complete lack of any newsstands in the Justic League Task Force issues so I checked the stores issues through issues 16 without finding any either. Still need to open the rest of the bags to check and then check the set upstairs. That title starts in 1993.

2 PM Update: Made it through the K and L title uploads without anything super exciting. first Tekno Comics newstand and apprently they use the 2 digit back end. Just one in the stack.

GreggGonz
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:12:10 AM

Groups: Member

Anyone read the "Mile-High Collection 2" story? Chuck purchased a ton of books in NY from a guy that apparently got them from someone that was stashing all the supposedly "destroyed" books that were affidavied as not sold.