Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The worst packaging ever thread. Options
komohah
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:57:58 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

We've all had times when our books have been sent to us poorly packaged. I've personally had a bit of a bad run recently (not from any CCL sellers I'm happy to say though). I realise items won't always be packaged exactly how I'd like them to be and I do accept that as long as some care has been taken to try and protect my books. It's got to the point where, if I think the person I'm dealing with seems a little "iffy", I've asked how my books will be packaged and requested they be sent sandwiched between cardboard. On several occasions I've received a reply like 'Don't worry, I use safe packaging, your comic will be sent in a padded envelope'. Don't people realise a soft plastic, bubble padded envelope does absolutely nothing to protect a single unbagged comic book. In fact, it would probably do better in a normal envelope and a hundred times better between two pieces of cardboard (not to mention much cheaper than one of those prepaid padded envelopes).

Anyway, here's a package I received today containing 16 comic books (see photo below). They were all unbagged but a least they were all in one large plastic bag I suppose. Yes, that's them poking out each end of the parcel (the term is used loosely here). Why even bother with the bit of cardboard wrapped around the middle - may as well just slapped the postage on the plastic bag the books came in. By some miracle, the books don't appear to have suffered any damage caused in transit (a real credit to the postal service here in New Zealand as not only was there poor packaging, the incorrect postage was used meaning the parcel was bounced around for 2 weeks internally within the postal service before making it to me - and the seller lives in the same town as me!).

Again, I'd like to reiterate that I haven't had any issues with the packaging from any sellers here at CCL. If you have any poor packaging stories of your own - please share Happy

teh_longinator
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:06:41 AM

Groups: Member

That's just plain lazy.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:18:22 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

If he lives in the same town as you, I'd have asked for local pick-up!
komohah
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:27:32 AM

Tamwood wrote:
If he lives in the same town as you, I'd have asked for local pick-up!

Yeah, I would've liked to have done that but the seller expressly listed these items as not allowing pick-ups (this is an option they can choose when listing on an auction site we have here in NZ).
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 7:09:37 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

U.S. mail wouldn't have accepted that because, you know, it's not actually a package.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
scotteaves
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 7:51:27 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Wow.

b0bafett
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 7:56:33 AM

Groups: Guru, Member

WOW
4saken1
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:32:07 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
U.S. mail wouldn't have accepted that because, you know, it's not actually a package.

hehe - actually, they would. There's a very short list of items that USPS won't mail, but in general if it's got a stamp on it, it can be mailed. I've seen many a time where people visiting Hawaii will put stamps on a coconut and have them sent as a 'postcard'.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 9:40:26 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

4saken1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

hehe - actually, they would. There's a very short list of items that USPS won't mail, but in general if it's got a stamp on it, it can be mailed. I've seen many a time where people visiting Hawaii will put stamps on a coconut and have them sent as a 'postcard'.

Really? Wow. Must just be the office by my work. They bust people down for poor tape jobs and overfilled packages.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
4saken1
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 11:13:03 AM

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
Really? Wow. Must just be the office by my work. They bust people down for poor tape jobs and overfilled packages.

I'll have to check if there's an actual rule about this. Could be there is, but most offices just don't enforce it. Heck, I've seen somebody mail a skillet in a Flat Rate Box, where the entire handle was sticking out from the corner of it!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

wpmcclure
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:38:05 PM

Rolling on the Floor Crying

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:49:28 PM

Shop at My Store

wpmcclure wrote:
Rolling on the Floor Crying

Patrick--being a Transformers fan, you'll appreciate this:

My brother used to tell me the story of a Transformers collector who managed to snag one of those ultra-rare Combiner Gift Sets from the 1980's. Don't remember which one it was, but apparently this one was some European-only release--so SUPER RARE. The seller didn't know what he had, so the collector managed to get a killer deal on it.

ANYWAY. The seller made sure to tell him that it would be shipped in a box. Except that he forgot to mention that he meant the Transformers packaging was the box! Literally--the buyer covered the outside of the Transformers gift set with paper, wrote the address on it, and slapped some postage on there.

Can you imagine getting that in the mail? The horror!!
Spider-Man
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 1:42:51 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

I got a single comic a few months ago from a seller on that auction site that came in a plain 9 X 12 envelope that they wrote " PLEASE DO NOT BEND" on the front and back. Inside the comic was taped inside a Ritz cracker box folded flat. So, it was taped between cardboard, just the thinnest cardboard he could find. Lucky for me the book was in good shape and the postal employees did not bend it.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 2:31:37 PM

I once had a seller (ebay) ship me a $200 comic in a mailer tube. By the time I got it, it was a $100 comic, luckily I only paid $10 for it so was still happy :)

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:50:38 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Spider-Man wrote:
I got a single comic a few months ago from a seller on that auction site that came in a plain 9 X 12 envelope that they wrote " PLEASE DO NOT BEND" on the front and back. Inside the comic was taped inside a Ritz cracker box folded flat. So, it was taped between cardboard, just the thinnest cardboard he could find. Lucky for me the book was in good shape and the postal employees did not bend it.
This is an almost exact description of several comics I've purchased there as well as here on CCL. Some people just don't get it, some just don't care.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
ukblueky
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 7:36:19 PM

I once received comics that were mailed to me in a taped together ice cream sandwich box.Needless to say the books didnt survive the journey unscathed.It was a seller on ebay.

fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:28:17 PM

The only time I have ever had problems with getting comics in the mail came from Ebay. I can't remember ever having gotten a poorly packed CCL package.

Mad Bloggings